Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 2,163 Words
  • 4,236 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Predator Prey - 19. Flight

em>No warnings needed for this chapter.

The next day was difficult. Very difficult. He spent the morning with Javier again, feeling unreasonably embarrassed with every passing minute. It had only been a daydream. What he imagined in the shower the day before wasn't real. But the daydream affected the way he interacted with Javier, making him more careful, more reserved than ever.

That morning, they worked on the pool pump. Honestly, he had no idea what was wrong with it, but he helped Javier disconnect it and lift it out of its well for an exacting inspection.

"Shit," the dark-skinned man muttered under his breath, "Wally, hand me that screwdriver behind you, okay?"

After a moment's search, the tool was located and handed over. How did Cabrera know where every tool and part lay? Javier's face was a study in concentration as he appeared to adjust a tiny screw deep inside the bowels of the pump. Scruffy and sweaty in the hot sun, his black eyes shining, he was indeed beautiful, in an intense sort of way.

He heard the sliding door open behind him.

"How's it going, cariño?" Oscar's voice sounded.

For a long moment, Javier didn't respond. "Good," he replied eventually, "I just got the mix taken care of. Now we just need to…" He stopped speaking to smile up at Oscar, and his eyes softened. "It's fine, why?"

"Just taking a break from work, and I was thinking about supper."

Javier grinned. "Meal planning already? You haven't even said what you're making me for lunch."

"Who said I was making you lunch?"

"I did," Javier smiled at his husband.

"See what I put up with, Wally?" Oscar sighed. "So, just saying if I did make lunch…"

The joking between Javier and Oscar continued a little while longer. And really, it was kind of cute. The problem was that he, Wally, was having trouble with how he felt about his hosts. He felt left out. He envied them their love and their shared life. Hell, maybe he was just still a little horny.

Also like his hosts, clearly.

Another half an hour saw the pump cleaned and adjusted, lifted back into its well, and reconnected. He and Javier cleaned up, and Oscar brought lunch outside into the shade by the kitchen doors. Oscar and Javier kept up the subtle touching, the easy banter all through the meal. He needed to excuse himself, get away, before the two men announced an afternoon naptime. He felt awkward enough already.

"I'm taking the bike again this afternoon," he said to Oscar. "Is that all right?"

"Sure, Wally. If you want supper, we're going to eat at six thirty again."

"You have my phone number?" Javier spoke up. "Call me if you're gonna be late."

"Um, actually, I don't have a phone," he said.

His hosts stared a moment. "Oh. Right." Javier grabbed a scrap of paper from the counter and scribbled something on it. "This gets you my phone," he said.

"Thanks."

Javier grinned a little wolfishly. "No problem."

He spent his afternoon trying to explore Sand River some more. He chose a different direction to the one he had taken the day before. Weaving his way through the pleasant residential neighborhoods, he tried to navigate a route that he hoped would be parallel to the busy main highway through town. Eventually, after a number of false turns, he found himself deposited on the main road, in spite of his efforts to avoid it. He wasn't far from the Marine Research Station. Idly, he crossed the thoroughfare and entered the Station parking lot.

The Feigenbaum lay at its berth, placidly tied up, while a crew of perhaps a dozen seemed to hustle about its decks, scraping, painting, hammering at something. A long hose snaked out of the back of a large panel truck, up the gangway and down one of the hatches. He watched for a while, wondering if Javier could somehow sense what was going on in his ship.

He moved on, cycling farther north along the main highway out of town. Here the road straightened out, and expanded to four lanes again. The scrubby growth gave way to taller palms and hardwoods. Discreet signs suggested upscale housing for retirees and vacationers to his right. Uncomfortable with the heavy highway traffic, he took the next right and followed where it led, down a leafy two lane road. This was better. He really didn't care where he was going; it was enough to try and forget about his problems, to forget about his desires and his jealousy and his wasted opportunities.

A little more than an hour's ride saw him a long way out of Sand River, standing at a boat loading ramp on one of Florida's countless inland lakes. An alligator sunned itself on the shore, uncaring of the boaters and fishermen who came and went.

His brain was pleasantly empty, thinking only of the very gentle landscape and the barely stirring breeze. He had no idea where he was, and only the smallest idea of how to get back.

From the angle of the sun, he figured he still had plenty of time to return in time for Oscar's supper. What was it they were supposed to be having? Something else particularly Cuban, he remembered. He considered what Javier and Oscar might be doing at that moment and made a face halfway between a grin and a grimace.

He remounted the bike, and headed in the direction he thought might be west.

Eventually, following a lush, palm-lined byway, he wound his way along the lake to a road that definitively led back to the main four-lane he'd abandoned much earlier in the afternoon. At least he had a good enough sense of direction to head left, and southwards, with the sun on his right. Another hour later, he pedaled into Sand River. He felt grateful when the road plunged back into shade as it entered the town.

He was hot and tired, but he'd enjoyed his ride. It was good physical activity and it used his muscles in ways he'd forgotten about for a long time. And he was thirsty. Very thirsty.

He felt grateful to the Sun Citrus National Bank for letting him know it was 5:06 PM and seventy eight degrees as he passed by. He wasn't at all sure he wanted to be back at the house quite yet; he'd liked being on his own. He approached a tavern on his side of the highway. A quick decision – a little rest stop wouldn't hurt. He had Cookie's cash burning a hole in his pocket, he could afford a beer or something.

The sign over the door read "Flappy Jack's" as he rolled into the parking lot. He coasted around to the back and leaned Michael's bike against the wall by what might have been the kitchen door. It would be much less obvious there, and he didn't want to have the boy's bike stolen.

Inside, the décor was vaguely nautical in a common sort of way, and the place looked a little seedy. The beer probably would be fine, though. The place certainly wasn't crowded. The bar felt dark and cool after his afternoon on the bike. It took all of two minutes for him to have a seat at a table and cold bottle in front of him.

It all felt so good, and he gave himself over to just zoning out. He wondered if he ought to indulge himself in another beer as he sucked on the remainder of his first. A moment later, all those idle thoughts vanished.

A short scrawny figure pulled out a chair and sat next to him at the table. "Whoa! It really is you. I thought it was."

He turned and stared at the smaller man – glasses, long stringy hair, nascent bald spot, thin mustache, pale skin. He'd managed to forget the terrible breath, somehow; and there had to be an ancient Camaro parked outside somewhere – Kenny. The man looked completely harmless on the outside, but Kenny was a trusted courier for one of the several suppliers he'd dealt with over the years. Kenny worked for one of the nastier ones – and it didn't pay to mess with Kenny.

"Hi, Kenny."

"What are you doing here?" the newcomer took a pull on a bottle.

"Nothing. Just thirsty - getting a drink."

"Uh huh." Kenny sat in silence for a moment. "You on some kind of vacation? Word on the street is you got cut out."

He shrugged. Sharing too much information was never a good idea.

"Just taking a break, is that it?" he could hear the smirk on Kenny's face without looking.

"Hey, school's out right now."

"You went back early last year to make more money." Kenny remembered a lot.

"Maybe I'll do it later."

Kenny took another pull on his bottle. "Word is you got robbed blind."

Silence. Then, "So? I paid you last time, like I always do. I don't owe you anything."

"Hey, hey, chill, dude." Kenny put his hands up, all apology. "Just sayin' if you need a little extra cash to start over, Marquez can help you out."

Marquez. He shivered. That was the supplier's name. The offer seemed innocent, but nobody wanted anything more to do with Marquez than absolutely necessary. Marquez was dangerous. Apart from anything else, being in debt to Marquez meant losing control. Selling yourself out. Selling your soul.

"No thanks, Kenny. I'll recapitalize soon."

"Oooh, baby, listen to that college boy talk," Kenny chuckled into his beer, "recapitalize. Fancy words you learn at that college, man."

He shrugged again. He wouldn't get into it with Kenny. Maybe the man would just finish his beer and leave.

"No, you really should let me do something for you. You were a steady customer, you're good. I got stuff in the car you could start over with." No, Kenny wasn't going away.

"Sorry, no deal. Don't like the whole debt thing."

"Who said anything about money?" Kenny asked innocently. But of course, it was all about money. "Marquez isn't happy one of his best customers is out of business. Your trouble is his trouble, you know? Besides," the pale, mousy man went on, "Marquez would be willing to take your…personal services in trade." Kenny practically leered.

Shit. Kenny knew about the video, too? He felt sick to his stomach. How many people knew about that?

"What's the matter, dude?" Kenny asked, quite serious. "Sounds like a perfect setup. You get some goods to move, and all you have to do is provide a little entertainment for the boss."

Entertainment? Was that it? Like he'd done to so many other innocents in the last few years? Like he'd been made to be, what, a month ago? He shuddered involuntarily.

"Yeah, but Kenny, what do you get out of it?" he eventually parried.

The thin lips curled into a smile, and a bony hand grazed his arm. "I might get a little commission out of the deal, you know?"

He stared back.

"This could be a good deal for both of us, dude," Kenny wheedled softly. "You get something, I get something, Marquez gets something. Win, win, win."

The pit in the bottom of his gut grew larger.

"And remember," the courier persisted, "once Marquez is interested, he isn't going to take 'no' for an answer."

Well, Kenny was right about that. The rumors out there said Marquez could be brutal in getting what he wanted. He shuddered. But what to do? How to get away from Marquez and his greasy courier? He took a deep breath.

"Could be an idea," he said noncommittally.

"Yeah, a great idea," Kenny grinned hideously. "If you're good, we could make a movie or something."

He nearly lost his beer right then.

But Kenny was still talking. "Tell you what, I gotta call someone. I'll meet you outside by your car in like, ten minutes. You still drive the black Beamer?"

His brain whirled. Who was Kenny going to call? Marquez? His manpower? What the hell was he going to do? He had to get out of the bar, fast.

"Meet you out front," he told Kenny. How long would it take Kenny to search the lot out front to determine his car wasn't there?

Kenny beamed, displaying yellow-gray teeth. "See you in five, man." The scrawny man rose and exited the bar.

In an instant, he was on his feet, headed to the back. A quick glance located the kitchen door. He pushed through it, and surprised a dark-skinned , white-fronted cook. He declined to explain his presence; he just hustled to the back of the building, and slipped out the door while a stream of Spanish began behind him.

There was the bike. He grabbed it, mounted it, and rode out the rear of the parking lot like demons were after him. In fact, they were.

em>Craftingmom deserves my most hearty and genuine thanks for her encouragement and editing. tim, Carlos and Spike beta-read this story, and I am most grateful for their help and observations.
Please leave a review. I am grateful to everyone who has a comment or reflection.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm dropping a review early, because I can :devil:

 

Hopefully this doesn't somehow get deleted when it actually publishes for everyone else in a couple weeks.

 

Anyway, this is where his past finally catches up with him. There's a definite shift in tone with this chapter. Obviously there was hints of danger with chapter 15, and Wally (as he shall henceforth be called) has had some fairly tramautic situations since the beginning. But this is the first time he's well and truly in danger. It definitely adds an element of suspense that wasn't there before. It was obvious that he associated with unsavory characters previously, but its unexpected that this element of his past would be the one to randomly surface.

 

This particular scenario is different again, because this isn't particularly his fault. As far as we can tell he paid off his debts and hadn't wronged the dealer in question. Clearly that video will be following him to some degree for a long time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/06/2017 08:05 AM, spikey582 said:

I'm dropping a review early, because I can :devil:

 

Hopefully this doesn't somehow get deleted when it actually publishes for everyone else in a couple weeks.

 

Anyway, this is where his past finally catches up with him. There's a definite shift in tone with this chapter. Obviously there was hints of danger with chapter 15, and Wally (as he shall henceforth be called) has had some fairly tramautic situations since the beginning. But this is the first time he's well and truly in danger. It definitely adds an element of suspense that wasn't there before. It was obvious that he associated with unsavory characters previously, but its unexpected that this element of his past would be the one to randomly surface.

 

This particular scenario is different again, because this isn't particularly his fault. As far as we can tell he paid off his debts and hadn't wronged the dealer in question. Clearly that video will be following him to some degree for a long time.

You devil. But I agree that this chapter shifts the focus so that Wally becomes prey, pure and simple. This happened on board the Feigenbaum with the sicko scientist, but Javier ended that. Now, there is nothing Cabrera can do, and he will be looking over his shoulder every moment until he can get back aboard ship. The damn video will probably haunt him for a long time, until he can find a way to change, or the spotlight moves on to someone else.

Link to comment

Blimey, no sooner does he arrive at some sort of plateau in his life when everything shifts again.

 

Does this scare him away from the ship and his new friends? Or does the engineer come to the rescue? Is this in fact a chance meeting? Or have his former contacts been watching him?

 

I want the next installment now ...!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Deals with devils don't go away. Wally was stupid enough to think he was in control back then. Arrogance. Obviously, he was an employee... someone to be used long before he was physically violated. This adds a new layer to what his supposedly-shining trek into darkness has cost him. Running scared once more, and this time from a danger that kills. It makes the kindness and provided refuge of others stand out all the more... his chance is precarious... mere minutes ago he was having life-wrecking thoughts about Javi... those pale in comparison to this... he has to hold onto that chance with all the strength and determination he possesses. The difference is, you have us all rooting for Wally now... great job of getting us here... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Wow, the tables have turned quite dramatically now. I know Wally is a slime but I'm starting to feel bad for him. I'm kind of wishing something good would happen to him so he can start redeeming himself. Then again, one must want to be redeemed before redemption can be found. I think he's getting close to that point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

And there it is... His past comes calling. In my head I was screaming for him to just run and get out of there and he did, but damage has been done. Guys like Kenny and Marquez don't just go away, especially as Kenny says they see a way to profit from Wally's misfortune.. That video will be his undoing..
Im curious to see if he shields Javi and Oscar from the truth or he tries to seek their help seeing that they know about the video. Or does he allow himself to think that he's getting what he deserves and pays the piper so to speak.
I don't like feeling conflicted. On the one hand karma, on the other, he was really trying and I have a heart. I want him to reach out for help, but I'm content to see how you have him deal.. Impatient though...

 

Well done Parker...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Just as Wally was starting to get used to his new life, the past comes rushing back to bite him! How much longer until the ship sails? And how will he eventually end this threat for good?

Link to comment
On 01/19/2017 10:51 PM, northie said:

Blimey, no sooner does he arrive at some sort of plateau in his life when everything shifts again.

 

Does this scare him away from the ship and his new friends? Or does the engineer come to the rescue? Is this in fact a chance meeting? Or have his former contacts been watching him?

 

I want the next installment now ...!

Yes, the relative security and calm is broken. Wally feels compelled to flee, and hope he is not tracked down again. Kenny is no joke, apparently, and nobody to be taken lightly. Wally knows this much, at least. As for your excellent questions, I fear they must lie unanswered for a time. Sorry about that ;) Many thanks for your thoughts and remarks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/20/2017 04:25 AM, Headstall said:

Deals with devils don't go away. Wally was stupid enough to think he was in control back then. Arrogance. Obviously, he was an employee... someone to be used long before he was physically violated. This adds a new layer to what his supposedly-shining trek into darkness has cost him. Running scared once more, and this time from a danger that kills. It makes the kindness and provided refuge of others stand out all the more... his chance is precarious... mere minutes ago he was having life-wrecking thoughts about Javi... those pale in comparison to this... he has to hold onto that chance with all the strength and determination he possesses. The difference is, you have us all rooting for Wally now... great job of getting us here... cheers... Gary....

What an interesting way of thinking about TP - as an employee, or perhaps a franchisee, or even an agent. In any case, Marquez and Kenny feel a certain interest in Wally, and that could be quite lethal. At least Wally can see that much. Running scared - bolting, in fact - is just what prey would do in the face of a predator. The question now is just how determined and hungry this predator might be, and how fast can it give chase? And if Wally is caught in the predator's jaws, then will karma be appeased? Many thanks for your comments and thoughts, and for your support in reading the story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/20/2017 05:24 AM, Okiegrad said:

Wow, the tables have turned quite dramatically now. I know Wally is a slime but I'm starting to feel bad for him. I'm kind of wishing something good would happen to him so he can start redeeming himself. Then again, one must want to be redeemed before redemption can be found. I think he's getting close to that point.

Many good things have happened to Wally by now - he's been Oscar and Javi's guest, he's learned again how to work and be satisfied in that work aboard the Feigenbaum - he made some real friends aboard ship, too. But you are right, in that redemption is not yet truly begun. Just now, all his energy is directed to making that bike go as fast as it can. Many thanks for continuing to read the story, and for your comments and thoughts.

Link to comment
On 01/20/2017 05:55 AM, Defiance19 said:

And there it is... His past comes calling. In my head I was screaming for him to just run and get out of there and he did, but damage has been done. Guys like Kenny and Marquez don't just go away, especially as Kenny says they see a way to profit from Wally's misfortune.. That video will be his undoing..

Im curious to see if he shields Javi and Oscar from the truth or he tries to seek their help seeing that they know about the video. Or does he allow himself to think that he's getting what he deserves and pays the piper so to speak.

I don't like feeling conflicted. On the one hand karma, on the other, he was really trying and I have a heart. I want him to reach out for help, but I'm content to see how you have him deal.. Impatient though...

 

Well done Parker...

Kenny is a scary dude, even though he isn't seven feet tall, or built like ten linebackers. It's what Kenny represents, and the power behind that which is truly frightening. Marquez and Kenny feel an interest in Wally, a sort of interest that can kill quickly or slowly, but certainly. I will not lead you further down the path of speculation, but I will thank you for having mapped out the options pretty well. Your impatience tells me I might have done a passable job at this chapter, then. Many thanks for reading the story, and for your comments today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/20/2017 07:24 AM, droughtquake said:

Just as Wally was starting to get used to his new life, the past comes rushing back to bite him! How much longer until the ship sails? And how will he eventually end this threat for good?

The past is now chasing him, predator to prey. Ending the threat is beyond him, for now - Marquez is powerful and very frightening. Many thanks for your comments, and for reading the story to this point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/20/2017 07:26 AM, JayT said:

ride like the wind Wally and don't look back

He'd better channel his inner Tour de France rider. Hope Michael's bike has a high gear. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Link to comment

I just read Spikey's review. I didn't know you could review a chapter before it's posted if you edit it. How does that work?

 

Yeah, Wally better 'ride like the wind' to get away from Kenny! Shit, he doesn't need Kenny and Marquez after him. Damn, what is Kenny doing so far away from the school? Seems like the safest place for him to be is on that boat!

 

No more exploring for Wally.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/20/2017 02:11 PM, Lisa said:

I just read Spikey's review. I didn't know you could review a chapter before it's posted if you edit it. How does that work?

 

Yeah, Wally better 'ride like the wind' to get away from Kenny! Shit, he doesn't need Kenny and Marquez after him. Damn, what is Kenny doing so far away from the school? Seems like the safest place for him to be is on that boat!

 

No more exploring for Wally.

I wish I knew how it worked, too.

 

Wally on Michael's bike is probably the last thing Kenny expects. At any rate, Wally is certainly surprising Kenny by not jumping at the chance to get back in business. Not that Kenny took 'no' for an answer, anyhow. Marquez wouldn't want that. Kenny might have been making a delivery, or on the way to see someone. It's not clear, but it seems coincidental. Probably. You are certainly correct in that Wally will want to think very carefully about exploring again. Many thanks for your review and commentary...and for reading this far into the story!

Link to comment

Aw, man. The past is a hard taskmaster. This is not good. The potential for disaster is great.
I gotta go see what happens!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/31/2017 09:25 AM, Geron Kees said:

Aw, man. The past is a hard taskmaster. This is not good. The potential for disaster is great.

I gotta go see what happens!

The past in the form of Kenny has Wally running as hard as he can. That in itself is a big change. But you are right in that disaster could be just outside In the parking lot...glad you are sticking with it!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

So his past has caught up with him.  We'll see if it catches him.  I'm glad I let a bunch of chapters build up so I don't have to wait.  This story is addicting!  

Link to comment

That was unexpected. I like that.

 

I do wonder what he'll do if the former supplier is really after him. Jump out of a window and run away? :P

I mean, it's not as if he has a lot of resources right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On June 15, 2017 at 6:22 PM, David Santos said:

That was unexpected. I like that.

 

I do wonder what he'll do if the former supplier is really after him. Jump out of a window and run away? :P

I mean, it's not as if he has a lot of resources right now.

 

I think his first instinct and first hope is to hide as well as possible, and for as long as it's can be managed. This wasn't half as unexpected for you as it was for our main character! Thanks for your patience and kindness in commenting. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..