Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 2,114 Words
  • 4,262 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Predator Prey - 12. New Environment

em>No warnings needed for this chapter.

The research vessel RV Feigenbaum had been named after a generous University benefactor who'd made the lead gift to buy the ship. Built as trawler, then refitted as an oceangoing research lab, the Feigenbaum made regular cruises in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico and the gulf stream.

The Captain, or Master, as he was called, George McCallum, signed him on as a student volunteer with almost unbecoming speed. Apparently, there was a shortage of volunteers for January term, and had been for a while. Volunteers were usually undergraduates whose main tasks were to assist the Master, Mate, Engineer and crew to keep up with the needs and schedules of the graduate scientists carrying out their research during each cruise. Occasionally, volunteers were required to help with academic projects and so on, as needed.

All this was carefully explained to him by the Master over coffee the morning of his arrival. The Captain ("yes, you have to address me by my title," the Master told him with a smile) also explained that he'd be issued work clothes for sea duties, and that fresh water on board was a very, very scarce commodity once they were at sea. He also got a list of stuff he'd need to buy.

Suddenly, he was glad of the money he hadn't given away.

In the meanwhile, he was made to be useful by giving a thorough a cleaning to as many parts of the ship as he could. Apparently, it wasn't too unusual for student volunteers to appear early for a cruise. He doubted he was the only rootless student to have walked up that gangway. At least he was being fed by the University; the Master gave him some cash to go grocery shopping in the small town where the research station was located. He managed to find enough food to sustain the two of them for a couple of days.

He spent a very quiet New Year's Eve in a tiny, narrow stateroom meant for two student volunteers located below decks. The Master was gone for the evening, and he was alone. He pondered what was in store for the next four weeks, and decided that, despite the four weighty instruction books and manuals he'd been given, he had no clue. He shook his head in wonder that he'd actually taken the time to study.

He remembered previous New Year's celebrations he'd gone to. Two years ago in Tampa he'd found a clothing optional party. Lots of alcohol, drugs, plenty of eye candy. He'd skipped the drugs, of course, but he'd had maybe four guys before dawn broke. It was hard to remember, now. What in hell was he doing here? Why didn't he just disappear and try to start over the way he knew how?

Maybe it had something to do with the way Marc had left him. Maybe it had something to do with a desire to prove to Marc and Lee that he could do something worthy of their gift to him. The gift of their Christmas. Had that only been a week ago?

He slept through the desultory fireworks that greeted the New Year.

The actual New Year saw the regular crew return from their holidays.

The Purser – the official title of the man who kept the interior life of the crew and scientists going – the Purser cooked, in addition to other duties, and was the first to arrive. This addition turned out to be a big, balding man in his late fifties with a broad Boston accent. He introduced himself as Martin Sinclair (pronounced 'Maht'n Sinclayah'). The Master called the Purser 'Cookie,' and Sinclair seemed not to need any other title.

Cookie was as loud and talkative as the Master was reserved.

Inspecting the new volunteer's handiwork at cleaning, Cookie clapped a hand to his shoulder and said, "Wally, this is A-one work. You're hired."

It didn't matter what his actual name was; Cookie had named him 'Wally,' and that was what he would be called throughout his time on the Feigenbaum. Wally.

"Hey, Wally," Cookie's voice sounded distantly from farther forward beyond the kitchen – no, galley, he corrected himself, "come on over here." Except it came out 'ovah heah.' He wasn't sure he'd get used to deciphering Cookie's accent.

He moved farther forward through a doorway into another compartment. He found Cookie in a room marked "Stores."

"Here, Wally, catch," Cookie tossed him a clipboard. "We're takin' inventory." Cookie kept up a stream of largely mundane comments throughout the whole task.

Together, they went down a long list of items for the galley. As they neared the end of the list, they heard footsteps in the corridor

"Hey, Cookie, I see you got a victim." A short, fireplug shaped individual filled the doorway. Short brown hair, neat, trimmed beard. Green eyes. He looked friendly enough.

"Cal, how are ya? Have a good Christmas?" Cookie boomed out at the visitor.

The man grinned. "You bet, Cookie. So who's this?"

"This here's Wally. New volunteer. Came early, can you believe it?" both men laughed. He wondered what the joke was.

"Nice to meet you, Wally," the new arrival stretched out a hand in greeting. "I'm Calvin Scheck, the Mate."

Oh. The Mate. The second in command, he thought quickly.

"Cal's pretty much gonna be god to you, Wally," Cookie put in with a chuckle. "He assigns you your watches. Your work schedule," Cookie added, clarifying.

God, would he ever catch up with these nautical terms

"So, you gonna give me Wally for this cruise?" Cookie challenged the Mate.

"We'll see, Cookie." The mate turned back to him. "I'll have the watch list done in a day or so. Then you'll know if you're under the thumb of this tyrant or not," the man grinned.

Basically, he had to tag along with Cookie for now, anyways.

Later, Cookie directed him to make coffee. "Hey, you making a fresh pot?" A low, gravelly voice interrupted his actions.

He turned, and beheld another new addition. Dark haired, Hispanic, middle aged, five o'clock shadow. Intense brown eyes, almost black.

"Yeah. Be ready in a minute," he replied to the stranger.

"Who are you?" the new man challenged.

"Wally. You can call me Wally," he shrugged, choosing to adopt Cookie's name for himself as his own. It wouldn't matter, really. Nobody knew him anyway.

"Javier Cabrera," the name came out as abruptly as the hand to be shaken. "Engineer."

They stood for a moment in silence. Javier Cabrera did not appear to be a conversational sort. The Engineer waited with seemingly impenetrable reserve while the coffee brewed.

He busied himself inventorying equipment for a moment. He heard the coffee machine gurgle, but the Engineer beat him to it. Moving swiftly, Cabrera grabbed a mug, poured a cup, and strode for the nearest doorway. He wondered if he had done something wrong.

Not long after, Cookie pressed him into service for dinner preparations. It was a feast of sorts, Cookie having brought plenty of delicacies back from the holiday break in New England. This included clam chowder and a case of awful beer labelled 'Narragansett,' which everyone but Cookie drank, and which the Master insisted they finish before the sober scientists came aboard. There was a strict no-alcohol policy for everyone at sea.

As the most considerably junior member of the table, he spoke rarely and watched and listened a great deal. He was good at that, or so he thought.

During the meal, he learned the Mate and the Engineer shared quarters on the lower deck; Cookie and the Marine Technician – who hadn't yet arrived – shared another.

Another senior member of the crew was the Chief Scientist, who wouldn't arrive until later. This anomalous person had a tiny stateroom to himself. He wasn't exactly crew, and not completely scientific staff; this was a professor from the University whose role was to supervise and coordinate the work of the Scientific Party – the graduate students who booked time aboard the Feigenbaum to complete their experiments and lab work.

After supper, he did much of the cleanup, under Cookie's supervision.

"Wally, let's see how good you are as a pearl diver," he called out to him. Of course he was mystified.

"Pearl diver?" he had to ask.

"Dish washer – here in the deep sink," the man grinned.

He got to work. "We're gonna get along just fine Wally," Cookie told him approvingly as he finished up about an hour later.

He appreciated that Cookie didn’t ask questions. He made conversation, yes – about women, hockey, unpopular Chief Scientists – but refrained from exploratory inquiries with the new volunteer.

The following day saw the arrival of the Marine Technician – a very pleasant middle aged fellow with a civil manner and a capable air named Mel Haskins. This man knew pretty much everything about how the shipboard scientific equipment worked, and how to use it for the experiments that were performed. And if something broke, Haskins would be the one to fix it.

Also coming aboard that day was the Chief Scientist, Professor Claudine Boudreau. Professor Boudreau was a French Canadian, and spoke with a decidedly strong accent. But she had made cruises on the Feigenbaum before, and she appeared to be well-liked by the crew. Cookie approved, so he supposed Dr. Boudreau would be all right.

He helped with dinner again – Cookie had taken him on a monumental shopping trip for what was termed 'ship's stores' that day, an excursion requiring the use of a large rental truck. He got to drive; the big yellow truck was quite a comedown from his jet black BMW. They'd had to drive nearly to Tampa to buy from a wholesaler Cookie knew. By the time the afternoon began to fade, he was tired from shifting boxes and frozen packages into their appropriate spaces.

But he could truly swear the swordfish they ate that night was purchased fresh that morning.

The next day saw more loading of supplies and stores; more of the permanent crew came on board. He heard Spanish being spoken more frequently. And he was finally joined by the other three volunteers, two women and another male, all at least a year younger than he was.

On arrival, his roommate tapped on the door and peered in. "Hello, you must be my bunkmate," he said sticking out his hand. "I'm Joshua Berman." He beheld a thin, wiry, bespectacled and earnest looking kid with a head of messy black curls. He sported a desperate scraggle of wispy beard on the margins of his jaw and chin. "Um, is this our room?"

He nodded. "I'm…Wally," he answered, deciding again to use the name Cookie had bestowed. They shook hands.

"So where do I put my stuff?"

Joshua came fully equipped, with two huge duffel bags. In a stateroom built more like a slot with bunks, Joshua's gear filled every available space and then some. It took them almost an hour to negotiate how to place everything.

"Wally, why don't you take the bottom bunk?" Joshua asked at the end. The boy was trying, at least.

"Sure. No problem." He didn't really care.

"You a senior?" Joshua asked.

Well now, that was a question. Nominally, he supposed he was. But, he really hadn't paid attention; he doubted he had enough credits in any single department to major – he'd been too busy running his business.

"I'm doing some extra semesters," he answered, choosing his words carefully.

Their conversation was interrupted by the sounds of laughter from the stateroom next door. The two women volunteers were settled in, by the sound of it. The walls were quite thin.

"How about you?" he asked, turning the conversation back onto Joshua.

"I'm a junior. I work in Dr. Bainbridge's lab. You know, the stuff on demersal fish? I'm hoping this trip will let me get a spot as a pre-grad student next summer."

Joshua was enthusiastic, if nothing else.

There was a knock on their door.

"Hi guys, I'm Brenda," a bright, rosy cheeked blond-haired girl stood in the doorway. A darker haired girl hovered in the corridor behind her. She wasn't shy about checking out the two men.

He returned her frank appraisal with a distant smile. He couldn’t make any enemies here, but he had no intention of encouraging Brenda. "I'm Wally. And this is Joshua," he completed the introductions.

"Don't we have a meeting now?"

"Oh, damn, you're right," Joshua was galvanized into action. "We'd better get going."

He sighed, and wondered for the millionth time what he had gotten himself into.

em>My deep thanks to Craftingmom for her editing and support, and for the encouragement of beta readers Mikiesboy, Carlos and Spike. They were invaluable in bringing this story to this point.
Feel free to leave a review. I appreciate all comments and remarks.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Very tight quarters on that boat for such a long time. Wonder if our predator can hold on to his new outlook, or if he will slip back into his controlling, predatory ways. Should be interesting for sure!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The sharp left turn this story has taken somewhat startled me (like TP, only maybe his suprise is going to be longer lasting. Or is it?). As someone has commented, letting him loose in an environment like that could be asking for trouble. Sharing a cabin with one other lad ...?

 

Roll on next Thursday ... :)

Link to comment
On 12/09/2016 04:23 AM, droughtquake said:

So TP is now "Wally." Like the titular character in original, British version of Where's Waldo? books?

Wally it is, indeed. Funny how some people - like Cookie - live by nicknames. Funnier still that so many of us have accepted them over time.

Link to comment
On 12/09/2016 04:24 AM, Okiegrad said:

Very tight quarters on that boat for such a long time. Wonder if our predator can hold on to his new outlook, or if he will slip back into his controlling, predatory ways. Should be interesting for sure!!

The quarters will surely be tight, as you say. But for now, much depends on how TP fits into the shipboard routine. All this happened so fast, his head must be spinning. Thanks so much for your comments and for reading!

Link to comment
On 12/09/2016 04:51 AM, northie said:

The sharp left turn this story has taken somewhat startled me (like TP, only maybe his suprise is going to be longer lasting. Or is it?). As someone has commented, letting him loose in an environment like that could be asking for trouble. Sharing a cabin with one other lad ...?

 

Roll on next Thursday ... :)

No question that TP - Wally, as the Purser calls him - must be surprised and reeling from this rapid change. Marc certainly found a way to get him a long, long, way out of the house. Perhaps Marc did not trouble himself to consider if TP would be a danger to anyone else; rather he may have thought being cut off from his usual haunts and suppliers would be sufficient. As for the other lad, I wonder if he might not be a bit earnest...many thanks for your thoughts and impressions, and for continuing to read this story.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

So the predator now has a name, even if it isn't his real one. Sometimes nicknames are more meaningful than our real names. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to his new life and if he'll relapse at all. Joshua has no idea what his bunkmate is capable of. I hope for his sake that Wally is redeemed...

Link to comment

As your other reviewers have commented, I wonder about TP being holed up in such a small space with someone else. Is he truly trying to redeem himself? Then he will be polite and helpful to everyone there. If not, then Joshua is in trouble.

 

And those girls are barking up the wrong tree if they set their sights on Wally! :lol: I'd say run for the hills, but they can't run anywhere!

 

I like Cookie and Cal the best so far. We'll see what happens as the days go by. :)

Link to comment
On 12/09/2016 11:29 AM, Valkyrie said:

So the predator now has a name, even if it isn't his real one. Sometimes nicknames are more meaningful than our real names. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to his new life and if he'll relapse at all. Joshua has no idea what his bunkmate is capable of. I hope for his sake that Wally is redeemed...

This life is certainly alien to TP in so many ways. If it hadn't been for the events of the past month, he'd never have accepted being called 'Wally' by anyone. You are certainly right in that Joshua is clueless about his new bunkmate. But Joshua appears to be such an earnest nerd, he probably wouldn't see the evidence unless it swam under his microscope. Many thanks for your comments and thoughts.

Link to comment
On 12/09/2016 12:31 PM, Lisa said:

As your other reviewers have commented, I wonder about TP being holed up in such a small space with someone else. Is he truly trying to redeem himself? Then he will be polite and helpful to everyone there. If not, then Joshua is in trouble.

 

And those girls are barking up the wrong tree if they set their sights on Wally! :lol: I'd say run for the hills, but they can't run anywhere!

 

I like Cookie and Cal the best so far. We'll see what happens as the days go by. :)

TP is about to embark on a voyage unlike anything he's experienced. Unlike any of the other interns, he probably has minimal understanding or orientation about what's about to happen, despite the manuals he got to peruse. But you are surely right that the girls have the wrong idea. I am so glad you liked Cookie and Cal; these are fun characters to sketch. Many thanks for your thoughts, and for reading.

Link to comment

Did I get a vibe from Javier? He seemed a little intense. Did he recognize TP? No matter. It will unfold. An interesting collection of characters so far... I wonder if that's all of them, or will there be a surprise addition? I like how you've set this up, Parker. and I think Wally is a perfect name for out anti-hero... I wrote a Xmas story once with a despicable Wally in it :) . Until next week... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
On 12/10/2016 03:54 PM, Headstall said:

Did I get a vibe from Javier? He seemed a little intense. Did he recognize TP? No matter. It will unfold. An interesting collection of characters so far... I wonder if that's all of them, or will there be a surprise addition? I like how you've set this up, Parker. and I think Wally is a perfect name for out anti-hero... I wrote a Xmas story once with a despicable Wally in it :) . Until next week... cheers... Gary....

Thanks for your many thoughtful comments. Cookie, Javier and all the rest were such fun characters to sketch, and I am glad they engaged your interest. Life at sea is often slower than we realize, but TP is not used to the routines at all. I will say noting about additions or subtractions; but I am veery glad you liked 'Wally' as a nickname. As it happens, I was called 'Wally' for years by a neighbor when I was growing up...and for no apparent reason. It just seemed to fit this situation. Many thanks...Parker

Link to comment

Wally, eh? I wonder why Cookie chose that, usually there's a reason for a nickname. I still don't trust Wally, he's thinking the right thing, but has he got the strength to follow his thinking.

Link to comment

Does he look like a Wally? Hmm.. He didn't correct Cookie though and he went with it. Is this him attempting to distance himself from the real person?
I wonder if there will be enough discipline in work and chores that will keep him motivated.
Joshua could be a another person with a good influence on TP or he could turn out to be a reminder of his life past.
I'm interested in his struggle and choices.

Link to comment
On 12/11/2016 05:14 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Wally, eh? I wonder why Cookie chose that, usually there's a reason for a nickname. I still don't trust Wally, he's thinking the right thing, but has he got the strength to follow his thinking.

Cookie's personality seems to be one that draws others into its orbit. Cookie probably has reasons for choosing 'Wally,' but these remain a mystery. Perhaps it just sounds good to the order man's ear. Somebody may trust Wally, but you can hardly be blamed for not doing so yourself...many thanks!

Link to comment
On 12/29/2016 04:34 AM, Defiance19 said:

Does he look like a Wally? Hmm.. He didn't correct Cookie though and he went with it. Is this him attempting to distance himself from the real person?

I wonder if there will be enough discipline in work and chores that will keep him motivated.

Joshua could be a another person with a good influence on TP or he could turn out to be a reminder of his life past.

I'm interested in his struggle and choices.

TP just accepts the tag from Cookie; there appears to be a lot of abject apathy in TP still. Joshua may be far too intensely academic to connect with Wally/TP. Many thanks for reading thus dar into the story.

Link to comment

No, 'Wally' doesn't suit this guy. Seems almost like an in-joke of some kind. Doesn't matter, I guess.
Potential for change here is large. I am also wondering what 'Wally' has gotten himself into.
You've painted a picture I can follow here, from page one until this point, clearly. A nice piece of writing, my friend.

Link to comment
On 01/30/2017 10:43 AM, Geron Kees said:

No, 'Wally' doesn't suit this guy. Seems almost like an in-joke of some kind. Doesn't matter, I guess.

Potential for change here is large. I am also wondering what 'Wally' has gotten himself into.

You've painted a picture I can follow here, from page one until this point, clearly. A nice piece of writing, my friend.

The joke is probably in Cookie's mind. I remember having a neighbor who called me by a nickname which I found completely mysterious, until I grew older and figured out it was the name of a famous jazz soloist. Oh. You and Wally both are wondering what the hell he is in for. One thing is for certain...he is well out of his usual comfort zone now. Many thanks for your I very kind comments and for continuing to read the story,

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..