Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 2,239 Words
  • 3,840 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Predator Prey - 17. Welcome

em>No warnings needed for this chapter.

After greeting his husband with equal parts passion and warmth, Oscar Quintana welcomed the new arrival with open arms and a bone-crushing hug. Whatever he had expected, it wasn't this. Where Javier Cabrera was short and compact, Oscar was tall and broad and barrel-chested. Where Javier had a full head of hair, Oscar's was cut short and his hairline was definitely in retreat. Where Javier Cabrera had rarely cracked a smile, Oscar could hardly stop beaming. Oscar was much more effusive than his reserved engineer husband, but Javier just seemed to radiate pleasure in the presence of Oscar’s lavish attention.

Even in the first two minutes, he noted the pair shared some attributes. Oscar and Javier were both black haired, coffee-eyed Cubanos. Both filled out their clothes admirably – Oscar even more than Javier, in fact. And both seemed to welcome him as a stranger into their home.

"Wally, I'm really glad to meet you. Javier called to tell me you were coming, and it's no trouble," Oscar said, waving away the protest that was about to arise. "The guestroom is all ready for you. Do you need something to drink? A beer, maybe? You must want a real shower for once, right? And then maybe a nap out back by the pool?"

He was taken aback by the outpouring of words. "Yeah. Sounds good." After a moment's time to think about it, Oscar certainly appeared to have a sound plan.

"That's what Javier always wants, anyway," the big man grinned. "Go on, Javi, go shower. I'll take care of Wally."

Cabrera exited down a hallway off the living room. "Now, what about supper? You can handle Cuban steak, right? Anything you don't eat?" His host hardly paused to let him shrug. "Is that the only bag you have?" the big man inquired.

"Um, yeah. The duffel and this,” he lifted his book bag and shifted the duffel awkwardly on his shoulder.

"Okay, right this way, my friend." Oscar led the way down the same corridor that Javier had taken a moment earlier. Several doors down and to the left, a door opened into a spacious bedroom. Cool green light filtered through wide windows which looked out into dense vegetation at the side of the house. "Is this okay?"

"It's great. Thanks."

"Here's the bathroom off to the side. You share it with my son Michael, so keep the door shut and knock. Your towels are the green ones on that rack, and there are spare swimsuits in that drawer. I think there's going to be something in there that fits you," Oscar indicated with his hand. "Please let me know if you need something."

"Geez, you sound like this is a hotel."

The big man laughed. "Yeah, it sometimes feels that way. But we like to have people come to stay over, and believe me, you’re not the first lost soul Javier brought home."

"Well, thanks, Oscar," he repeated. "I think I'll get that shower now."

"Fine. And if you want to lie out by the pool, you can go out through the kitchen."

Oscar smiled and headed back down the hall. He closed the bedroom door and pulled some cleaner clothes out of his duffel. He padded into the bathroom, making sure the pass through door to the stepson's side was locked. Then he closed himself in and stripped. For the first time in almost four weeks, he luxuriated in taking a long, hot shower.

The water cascaded over his body, running down his spine, heating his shoulders, washing away sweat and dust of the past twenty four hours. He washed his hair. He soaped up his chest, arms and legs, and tried to scrub the smell of the Feigenbaum off. It wasn't a bad smell, he decided, but he just wanted not to smell of ship for a while.

Inevitably, the hot relaxing spray and the slippery soap had other parts of him stirring. It had been well over a month since he'd had anyone in his bed, and he'd been too tired or rushed to jack off much on board ship. He craved release. His tool stood out at attention, and his hand slid deliciously along its length. God, he wouldn't last long at all. A few quick strokes, that's all it would take. He anticipated the pleasure.

And then another thought intruded: the memory of a sharp object getting ready to pierce him under the ribs, the stink of unwashed scientist demanding his ass. And after that memory, the recollection of that horrible night in his own bed – becoming the unwilling party favor – flooded his brain. Suddenly his rigid cock deflated. He shivered under the stream of warm water. No. There would be no climax now. He tried to shake the memories out of his brain.

Rinsing off, he stopped the flow of water, and toweled himself dry.

He considered the drawer Oscar had pointed out. Maybe he could just lie out by the pool. Not five minutes later, with a fluffy towel draped over his shoulder and clad in a tight scarlet Speedo, he padded down the hall. The kitchen was to his left through an opening. He stopped.

There was a noise. He listened intently for a moment. Low voices. A subtle rhythmic thump. A soft moan. He understood. A brief, hot scene flashed before his imagination; Javier buried balls deep inside Oscar , the larger man's legs wrapped around his lover, forcing him deeper still.

A pang of emotion swept through him like a gust of wind.. What was it? Sadness? Jealousy? Desire? He could hardly blame Javier and Oscar; the cruise had lasted over three weeks. Sighing, he walked through the kitchen and pulled open a large sliding glass door that opened to a shaded patio area.

The small pool itself was in the sunshine, but he could choose shade or sun to lie out in. The whole thing was covered by an enormous screen structure; pretty much standard everyplace if mosquitoes and other biting insects were to be avoided. Still, this was very nice, and reasonably warm for late January. He chose a lounge chair in the sun and stretched out. He closed his eyes for a short nap. Maybe he'd swim later.

He was awakened by someone tapping his shoulder. He cursed, mentally. He'd been deeply asleep much longer than he'd meant to be.

"Hey, you're Wally, right?"

He managed to focus on the speaker. A boy, maybe sixteen, seventeen years old?

"Dad said to tell you to move, or you're gonna cook." The boy grinned. He, too was clad in a Speedo, this one dark blue, nearly black.

He cursed himself for forgetting sunscreen. Groaning a little, he sat up. "Thanks. You must be…Michael, right?"

"Yeah, I'm Michael. Not Mike."

Now fully awake and aware, he gave Michael-not-Mike a swift once-over. Dark, curly haired, nearly black eyes, Latin good looks. Body coming into real definition. And there was definitely something lurking under that swimsuit. Shit. Why couldn't Michael have been overweight, pimply and nearsighted? The next five days could be tough. He held out his hand.

"Wally." What could he say? Everyone knew him by that now.

"I'm getting in." Michael spun, and not a second later, he was swimming the length of the abbreviated pool.

Long, smooth strokes and a fluid turn told him Michael was a competitive swimmer. He smiled. He hadn't raced in years, but maybe a little challenge was better than lusting after his hosts' son. A moment later, he dove in and started doing laps of his own. In about five or six short trips back and forth, his body remembered the motion, the turn, the push. He returned to his starting point to find Michael standing at the side, waiting for him. Michael was taller than he was, he noticed.

"Hey, Wally, you want to race? Ten laps?"

"How'd you know?"

"I guessed," Michael grinned. "Nice turn."

"Thanks. Good guess."

They clambered out of the pool, and got set to start. Remembered years of swim practices came back to him.

"I'll start us – on 'go,' all right?" Michael was in charge here.

"Sure."

"On your marks. Get set. Go.” And his muscles responded as if five years hadn't intervened.

He flew off the patio deck and into the pool. He sprinted forward, resisting the urge to steal a glance to see where Michael was. Focus. Stroke, kick, turn. Tighter strokes, stronger pull, concentrate on balance. He tried to keep count of his laps; eight, nine. Last turn, last push, finish now. He touched the wall perhaps two or three seconds behind Michael. Hell, this kid was quick.

"Whew." Michael was breathing heavily. "You're fast, dude! Nobody comes close to catching me most of the time."

He grinned. "I raced in high school."

"You don't swim anymore?"

He shook his head. "I stopped after I graduated." No. He didn’t swim anymore. He'd given all that up as the polar permafrost had descended at home when he’d been outed. He was amazed his stroke had come back to him like that; he'd actually enjoyed himself for a few moments.

"Dude, you should've kept going with it."

He winced. He didn't want to remember the rejection. The isolation as his so-called friends walked away, one by one. "No, I'd finished with it by then. Thanks for the race, though." He hauled himself out of the pool and reached for his towel.

Michael pushed off and did a few more laps, then climbed out, too. The boy looked at him more closely as he finished drying himself off. Was he being checked out? Six weeks ago, he'd have welcomed the inspection. Come on boy, come join my study group. He'd surely have considered trying to snare Michael if he'd been on campus.

But not now. Not after…ugh. And given Javier's warning, he cursed himself for not bringing a shirt out with him to cover up. Michael was about to say something when the sliding door to the kitchen opened.

"Hey guys, supper's about ready. Wally, what do you want to drink? Beer, wine? Water?" Oscar called out.

"Water's fine."

Michael turned back to him. "I'm going in to throw on some clothes."

"Yeah, good idea." He wondered if he had anything clean in his duffel. He thought he might. First order of business was to ask Oscar and Javier if he could do some laundry. He followed the teen indoors, trying very hard not to look at his ass.

Supper turned out to be pan-fried steak, with spiced rice. He practically inhaled what was set in front of him, it was that good. Oscar seemed absurdly pleased. Michael finished his almost as speedily, and both of them nodded when Javier asked if they wanted more. Oscar seemed to know how to cook for hungry young men. There was plenty.

"Come on, Wally, you need some more," Oscar coaxed later on.

"No, really, Oscar, I…"

"You're gonna hurt his feelings, man," Javier growled. But there was a definite smirk.

"You don't like it?" Oscar's deep dark eyes had gotten large; they seemed to take on a liquid quality.

"No…it's good, really good…I guess I could have a little more," he stammered, giving in.

"So, finish this up, you and Javi can split it," the big man smiled triumphantly.

"Damn, Oscar, it's not good to make Bambi eyes at your guests," Javier laughed, and Michael joined in.

He smiled despite himself. He'd just seen Javier laugh.

"That's Oscar's secret weapon, watch out," Michael added.

He didn't really mind. He hadn't eaten this well in…well, he just couldn't remember.

"Hey dads? Can I go out with Trey tonight? A couple of us are getting together at his house." Michael's question suddenly turned Oscar serious.

"It's a school night, isn't it?"

"I got all my homework done."

The two older men looked at each other.

"And I won't be out late," the boy added. His pleading eyes proved the validity of genetic science.

"How late?"

"I'll be home by ten."

"Nine thirty," said Oscar.

"Okay," agreed Michael with a smile, knowing a successful negotiation had been concluded. "Can I go now?"

"Sure, fine," Oscar smiled, unable to grumble.

He insisted on helping Oscar and Javier with the cleanup. As he rinsed dishes and loaded the dishwasher, the two mates talked about household matters and chores that had accumulated in Javier's absence.

"Gonna have to do some cutting and trimming around the yard," observed Javier. "The pool pump still needs to be replaced. And maybe I'll change the oil on the car," he added.

"Tomorrow, Javi. Tomorrow. Tonight, relax."

Relaxation meant joining the two men in front of an action movie on the wide screen TV, Javier and Oscar snuggled up together on the couch. He'd never have guessed Javier Cabrera to be a snuggler, but the evidence was right there in front of him.

He couldn't help feeling a little envious. These men had what Lee and Marc had discovered. It was something he'd never known, not really. He doubted he ever would. That thought gnawed at him through the second half of the film. He felt uncomfortable; unworthy of this, somehow.

Before the movie ended, he stood and stretched. "Thanks, guys. I'm tired. I'm going to bed."

Javier smiled and nodded.

"Good night, Wally," Oscar grinned.

He wondered how late they'd stay up.

em>Thanks to Craftingmom for her unstinting help with editing and her kind support. Thanks, too, go to tim, Carlos and Spike for beta-reading.
Thanks also to everyone who adds a review or makes a comment, of any sort or nature. I appreciate everything you say.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wally seemed to have transformed into an almost decent person. I hope it lasts, and we don't see the predator has been lurking inside all along just waiting to escape. I like Wally...but despise the predator. Amazing how we as humans have so many facets that make up who we are. Even more fascinating that we've mastered the art of only showing the side of ourselves that we want seem.

Link to comment
On 01/06/2017 01:32 AM, Okiegrad said:

Wally seemed to have transformed into an almost decent person. I hope it lasts, and we don't see the predator has been lurking inside all along just waiting to escape. I like Wally...but despise the predator. Amazing how we as humans have so many facets that make up who we are. Even more fascinating that we've mastered the art of only showing the side of ourselves that we want seem.

Wally has had enough turbulence in the past two months to provoke some reflection, and some change, certainly. If he is not precisely decent, he is at least trying not to be the man he was. None of us could love that man, the Predator. It is a wonder he could live with himself at all. Your comment about showing sides of ourselves is important, as it seems to me that for a long time, the Predator only saw his own rage and injury in the mirror, and very little else. Many thanks for this commentary, and for reading the story to this point.

Link to comment

Wally is seeing a second example of a successful, functional Gay couple. And once again, he is feeling envious of what the two men have. Along with his swimming skills, hidden aspects of Wally's personality are peeking out from the hardened shell of TP.

 

But he still has a long way to go…

Link to comment

This chapter seems more like an introduction to a new part of his story than simply a change of place and mood.
His stay at this home filled with love promises to be full of hard moments, moments when we will see who prevails, 'TP' or that other person who once was as happy and free of care as Michael seems to be. I guess it will be this other half, the one buried long ago. But I wonder how hard it will be for him.
You have managed to make TP fade in spite of knowing full well that Wally and he are somehow one and the same. I see more pain and hurt than the ability to hurt and inflict pain himself. And I am somehow sure that TP would not have run the danger of getting sunburnt... there seemed to be an innocence about him, or a trace of it that I would never have thought possible during the first part (before he sought shelter with Marc).
And there is something new for him: Whereas as the party moll he was drugged and we can only guess at what he might have been feeling then, we have seen him now twice experiencing the effects of abuse, on the boat when he was attacked (and when he watched Javier confront the professor) and now during the shower. Fully consciously.
I keep wondering what it will take for him to be "redeemed" as you have put it in one of your responses. I'll try to be patient.

Link to comment

As some of your other readers have pointed out, TP is fading into the background as more of Wally's personality emerges. Now he is envious of Javier and Oscar like he was with Marc and Lee. I'm sure he's thinking he could never have what the two couples have; he's too damaged inside. I think as more of Wally emerges (maybe a new and improved personality with the new name?), he'll realize one day he CAN have this type of relationship with someone else.

 

The emotional scars of his abuse and almost-abuse are still there, reminding him of all the pain and suffering he caused others (I hope it's a reminder). I think the only way he can combat the guilt (for lack of a better word) of what he did to others, is to help other victims of abuse. That's what he should do after his next stint on the boat - volunteer somewhere.

 

Now he just has to reign in those feelings of lust for Michael. Or be thrown out on his ass. :P

Link to comment
On 01/06/2017 04:02 AM, droughtquake said:

Wally is seeing a second example of a successful, functional Gay couple. And once again, he is feeling envious of what the two men have. Along with his swimming skills, hidden aspects of Wally's personality are peeking out from the hardened shell of TP.

 

But he still has a long way to go…

Wally is slowly remembering how not to live in rage, or fear or for himself. Seeing real functioning couples, gay men who love and are loved, is having an effect. What is Wally really like? That may take a long time to develop, if ever.

Link to comment
On 01/06/2017 05:12 AM, mayday said:

This chapter seems more like an introduction to a new part of his story than simply a change of place and mood.

His stay at this home filled with love promises to be full of hard moments, moments when we will see who prevails, 'TP' or that other person who once was as happy and free of care as Michael seems to be. I guess it will be this other half, the one buried long ago. But I wonder how hard it will be for him.

You have managed to make TP fade in spite of knowing full well that Wally and he are somehow one and the same. I see more pain and hurt than the ability to hurt and inflict pain himself. And I am somehow sure that TP would not have run the danger of getting sunburnt... there seemed to be an innocence about him, or a trace of it that I would never have thought possible during the first part (before he sought shelter with Marc).

And there is something new for him: Whereas as the party moll he was drugged and we can only guess at what he might have been feeling then, we have seen him now twice experiencing the effects of abuse, on the boat when he was attacked (and when he watched Javier confront the professor) and now during the shower. Fully consciously.

I keep wondering what it will take for him to be "redeemed" as you have put it in one of your responses. I'll try to be patient.

TP / Wally now observes another wonderful couple. Oscar and Javier love one another, and also care for others in a way Lee and Marc were not yet able to do. Even as people change, people retain who they were - they are at least the sum of their parts. Wally must bear the burden of who he became, even as he has changed. You are very good to pick up on traces of a distant self, the sense and innocence that might have existed long ago, along with the remnants of a more recent life. Thank you for your very perceptive comments, and for your patience as you read this story.

Link to comment
On 01/06/2017 09:00 AM, Lisa said:

As some of your other readers have pointed out, TP is fading into the background as more of Wally's personality emerges. Now he is envious of Javier and Oscar like he was with Marc and Lee. I'm sure he's thinking he could never have what the two couples have; he's too damaged inside. I think as more of Wally emerges (maybe a new and improved personality with the new name?), he'll realize one day he CAN have this type of relationship with someone else.

 

The emotional scars of his abuse and almost-abuse are still there, reminding him of all the pain and suffering he caused others (I hope it's a reminder). I think the only way he can combat the guilt (for lack of a better word) of what he did to others, is to help other victims of abuse. That's what he should do after his next stint on the boat - volunteer somewhere.

 

Now he just has to reign in those feelings of lust for Michael. Or be thrown out on his ass. :P

You make some very thoughtful comments here. If more of Wally emerges from the travesty he made of his university life, it will be a result of examples like Lee and Javier and Oscar and Marc. His emotional scars from his own abuse are there, and I think he knows more and more the pain he inflicted on others. For now, he cannot see beyond his return to the Feigenbaum. What happens after that is well past his ability to consider. That may not be all bad; living in the moment, and living for something other than himself, may be healing. Many thanks for your thoughts and comments, and for reading thus far in the story.

Link to comment

After the whole debacle with his parents, did Wally even ever give himself a chance to form a relationship? I feel like he just launched into this person who became TP out of anger. Slowly though we are seeing pieces of whom he was. Someone who might not have been so terrible or hard edged. I still feel it was way too easy for him to just go there, and I just hope his regrets are enough to keep him from falling back.
Im hoping that with all the positive and loving influences around, he allows himself to try to be that person. It's not hard to sense how much he's craving affection and Javi and his husband seem to have a lot of that.

Link to comment
On 01/07/2017 07:56 AM, Defiance19 said:

After the whole debacle with his parents, did Wally even ever give himself a chance to form a relationship? I feel like he just launched into this person who became TP out of anger. Slowly though we are seeing pieces of whom he was. Someone who might not have been so terrible or hard edged. I still feel it was way too easy for him to just go there, and I just hope his regrets are enough to keep him from falling back.

Im hoping that with all the positive and loving influences around, he allows himself to try to be that person. It's not hard to sense how much he's craving affection and Javi and his husband seem to have a lot of that.

There are hints here and there of who Wally might have been. He doesn't tell us too much about his past. He certainly seems to have discovered something deeply compelling in both Marc and Lee and now with Javier and Oscar. Perhaps it is affection he craves, or perhaps connection, or maybe it's just a chance to be someone more human. But his past has certainly made that a harder task. Many thanks for your kind and insightful response.

Link to comment

When Wally was having his shower, I saw the effects of an aversion therapy... kind of ironic that something us gay men detest the thought of is proving to be what TP might have needed to make him human. He has a good example of a loving couple and family in front of him... that's two now... the ache it makes him feel is what he should feel. He's on the outside looking in, but more and more that is his choice... he can make a different one as his eyes become more open and his heart comes back to life. I liked this one... the awakening of his swimming skills felt like a metaphor... could he become the man he was supposed of be, or could have been? I think the possibility is real... well done, Parker... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
On 01/10/2017 02:32 AM, Headstall said:

When Wally was having his shower, I saw the effects of an aversion therapy... kind of ironic that something us gay men detest the thought of is proving to be what TP might have needed to make him human. He has a good example of a loving couple and family in front of him... that's two now... the ache it makes him feel is what he should feel. He's on the outside looking in, but more and more that is his choice... he can make a different one as his eyes become more open and his heart comes back to life. I liked this one... the awakening of his swimming skills felt like a metaphor... could he become the man he was supposed of be, or could have been? I think the possibility is real... well done, Parker... cheers... Gary....

Wally is undergoing real, sustained changes in his life. You see very keenly how his eyes are opening, how he is beginning to recognize what is true and what is false in his existence to this point. His outsider's viewpoint isn't easy to inhabit now; he can't be the cool predator anymore. But who can he be? I am glad you liked this chapter and I appreciate your excellent insights. Many thanks! Parker

  • Love 1
Link to comment

This is going along well. Nothing like seeing the effects of love and companionship in action to focus one on what might be missing in life. Family is something we carry with us long after we have grown and left home. That Wally lost that sense is surely one of the things that allowed him to act as coldly and irresponsibly as he did at school. Now, if he can get it back...
Being a part of something - a family, a relationship, even a group of close friends - is critical to being happily human. People in your life make the world warm and close. At this point in your story. I actually want this for Wally. Got a feeling you will not disappoint me.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/31/2017 09:02 AM, Geron Kees said:

This is going along well. Nothing like seeing the effects of love and companionship in action to focus one on what might be missing in life. Family is something we carry with us long after we have grown and left home. That Wally lost that sense is surely one of the things that allowed him to act as coldly and irresponsibly as he did at school. Now, if he can get it back...

Being a part of something - a family, a relationship, even a group of close friends - is critical to being happily human. People in your life make the world warm and close. At this point in your story. I actually want this for Wally. Got a feeling you will not disappoint me.

Wally apparently never had much in the way of family. Oscar and Javier are more family than he ever knew. I can't imagine him being Javi and oscar's child and going off to college to act as he did. They aren't adopting him, but surely we can hope some of that will rub off. Thank you for wanting this for Wally, it makes my day,

  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Dan South said:

Can’t quite muster empathy for Wally yet but I suspect I’m going to gain some. 

Wally is a hard guy to like. Yet even now, he has changed quite a lot. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..