Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 1,823 Words
  • 4,779 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Predator Prey - 9. Morning Light

em>No warnings necessary for this chapter. You can follow conversation about this or any chapter on the Predator-Prey forum.

The morning was hardly more pleasant than the night before.

He heard kitchen noises faintly through the closed door as he woke. The morning sun leaked in through the blinds. He sat up. For the first time in days, his neck and shoulders felt fine. No stiffness or soreness from sleeping on a library couch or in the car.

When he appeared in the kitchen, though, Marc was no less inimical than eight hours earlier, while Lee seemed much more wary, much more cautious around him. They must have talked about him in the night; Lee had been warned.

"Sit down," ordered Marc. No cheerful 'good morning' today. Not that he remembered Marc ever being a morning person, anyhow. Not that he'd ever given Marc much of a chance. When Marc was wasted, he'd slept pretty much all day. And he'd made sure Marc could get wasted.

He sat. Lee furtively placed a heavy mug of coffee in front of him.

"So. Talk. What has you on my doorstep begging for my help at midnight?" Marc's hard voice had no trace of pity in it.

He sat there, staring at the black coffee, vapor rising from its surface like smoke from a dark lava pool. Why had he come? Marc owed him nothing. Nobody, least of all Marc, would have the slightest reason to take him in. He'd played the thin, sandy blond boy like a cheap violin; played Marc until something else had stirred inside his frozen soul that frightened him more than poverty; more than violence. Compassion. Love, maybe. But then, he'd thrown it all away, clinging to his business. His plan.

He reflected bitterly on all the rotten decisions he'd made. Too late to take them back. And now Marc had someone else. There was absolutely nothing left. Not really.

"I'm screwed," he began, staring into the black liquid in front of him. "I'm screwed and I have no place to go." It was a start. He told them everything. He told them everything, about everything, in every detail.

To Marc's credit, there was no sarcastic interruption.

"Go get your computer," he told his audience desperately toward the end of his narrative, wanting them to believe, "you can find it on at least a dozen websites. They got part of it on video."

Silence greeted this. There was no move to prove the statement.

He continued. He hadn’t stopped staring at the mug even though the wisps of steam had long since stopped forming. "The worst thing is I know I deserved it. I know it's my fault. I did bad shit to other people. I did it to you…fuck…and I'm not sure I can live with myself…" he trailed off.

He knew he sounded melodramatic. Nobody would take any of this at face value. But it was all true. Too late for real emotions, real kindness. When had he shown any?

More silence.

"Are you hurt? Hurt anywhere physically, I mean?" Marc asked, businesslike, but his voice had lost some of its hard edge.

"No, I'm okay. I had some bruises, but they healed, pretty much." He didn't mention the lingering red rings around his wrists and ankles where his bonds had held him fast to the bed. These lay hidden beneath the long sleeves of his hoodie.

He looked up at Marc. The stony, unyielding expression was still there, but there were traces of something else there, too. Concern, maybe? He didn’t deserve it, whatever it was.

"Your coffee's cold," he heard Lee say. The mug was removed.

He hung his head again. "Look, I'm sorry I bothered you. I just needed a bed for a night. I'll probably…" Again, he couldn’t find a way to finish his sentence. Was it always going to be like this?

Then again, what was he going to do?

He couldn't go home. He could move on, drive off to someplace else, but what would he do wherever he landed? Start the business over? He doubted if he had the stomach to do that. All those people he'd hurt. Lives damaged. He'd been on the receiving end. He knew what it was like, and how it felt. He could harden his heart and steel himself – sneer and laugh it all off – but he'd never have what Marc and Lee clearly enjoyed.

And that knowledge was twisting his heart in knots.

"Keep up your shit, you'll probably end up dead of an overdose," Marc said harshly, returning to the conversation. "Oh, wait. You never used the product, did you?"

Ouch. That hurt. Worse still, Marc was pretty much right.

"Marc, stop." Lee speaking again.

He couldn't bear to look at the boy. He kept his eyes focused on the table.

"Why? When did he ever learn to stop?" Marc again.

He sensed movement in the room. Lee wrapping his arms around his boyfriend. The tiny sound of a kiss. He couldn't bear to watch them being tender. Caring. Anchors for each other. The ache in his heart was surely about to break him.

"We're better than that," Lee spoke softly, not to him, but to Marc. "We don't have to kick someone who's hurt, no matter who they are. Remember? If forgiveness is hard, try mercy."

The sound of another kiss, then quiet.

"You go see a doctor?" Marc again, his voice less bitter.

He nodded numbly. "Yeah. Went to the clinic on campus after."

"What about those marks on your wrists?"

He shuddered. So Marc had seen the angry red skin anyway. He shrugged. "No biggie. It'll heal."

"Want someone to take a look at them?" Marc pressed.

"No. They'll be okay." He didn't want to have anyone asking about the injury.

Marc rose from the table abruptly, turning to Lee. "I'm going to get a shower. We can take off in about half an hour, do you think?"

He didn't hear what Lee said in reply. His eyes hadn’t left the space on the table in front of him. Marc departed, kissing Lee on his way out. He heard Lee open a cupboard, get out a plate. In a few moments, it appeared in front of him, with a banana and a croissant. A second later, jam and juice joined the food in his field of vision.

"Eat. You have to be hungry" Lee's soft voice filled the silence.

He shook himself out of his torpor. He looked up at Lee. Pale arms extended from a maroon t-shirt, which set off the boy's unreal blue eyes. He realized he was hungry.

"Thanks. You didn't have to do that," he said.

"Bullshit," Marc's partner said firmly, sitting down across from him. "You're here in our house. We're not going to let you starve. I'm sorry it's not more than that, but we were going to the grocery…"

"No, really, this is fine," he protested. And it was. He ate, and the boy watched him eat.

He tried to rally, tried to make conversation. It wasn't his usual, smooth approach, but he didn't think he could ever do that again, anyhow. "So how did you meet Marc?"

"We met in the hospital," Lee told him simply.

His face must have asked the question on the tip of his tongue, because Lee continued.

"Marc was in rehab. I was in the…psychiatric unit."

It was at that moment he noticed the long, straight scars on Lee's left wrist. It wasn’t the kind of thing he often missed. He was an expert at spotting weakness, at ferreting out vulnerabilities.

"What...I mean, how…" he seemed unsure of himself, unable to ask his question. Not long ago, he'd have found a way to learn the story and take full advantage of it. He felt a little ill at the thought.

Lee supplied the missing information. "It was stupid. My boyfriend dumped me. Wouldn’t talk to me, cut me off completely. He wasn't out, and someone spotted us together, kissing. He was ashamed of me. Of us."

He nodded. He understood that completely.

Lee went on, without emotion. "But my being gay got back to my parents, who freaked out. When they weren't trying to cure me, they were crying to their friends about how they'd gone wrong, and how could I have done this to them, and a trainload of other crap. The worst thing is that I bought it – every word." Lee paused. "It took them eighteen years to raise me to think they loved me, that I could survive in the world, maybe find acceptance. It took them three weeks to convince me I was evil, broken, and a terrible mistake. It took three weeks to make me decide my life was over."

He blinked at the raw truth, hanging there in the air of the sunlit kitchen. A story so like his own, yet unlike, too.

"Marc found me in the game room of the hospital facility. My parents hoped the shrinks would cure me of my 'condition,' as they called it while they worked on my suicidal tendencies. We bonded over Monopoly."

And here Lee smiled a little for the first time.

He could see that. In his mind's eye, he could imagine the two of them, leaning on each other for support, learning to live again, rebuilding themselves into wholeness, bit by bit, day by day.

But he had a hard time adjusting to the idea that Marc and Lee were here, in a house they either leased or owned, living in more or less contented domesticity. He distinctly recalled how Marc argued one alcohol-soaked night against monogamous gay relationships as – he searched for the memory of how Marc had said it – "an anti-Queerian construct foisted upon gays by their straight oppressors."

Marc knew how to rant.

"So what happened? Did you and Marc get out of the hospital together, or…?" he left the question hanging.

"Pretty much," Lee admitted. "His parents are fantastic people – incredibly supportive. They helped us set up here and start over. We're part time students, so we have time for rebuilding, and for each other. Marc insists on working a job to pay for some of this, but his parents have really made this happen."

That was startling news. When he and Marc had first gotten together – when he had first tried to break the blond athlete – Marc had dreaded what his parents would say. Apparently, his fears had been misplaced.

Marc reentered the room, showered and dressed for errands out of the house.

"Change of plan. Come on, get your coat," Marc said tersely, looking pointedly at the guest, "we're going to do some errands."

"Marc, he doesn't have to…" Lee began, but Marc cut him off with a kiss.

"Sorry, baby, but he comes with me. You have a paper to write, and you don't need the distractions."

In a minute, they were out the door.

em>Many thanks to Craftingmom, for her kindness in editing this story, and to Tim, Carlos and Spike for their help and encouragement in beta-reading.
Please leave a review. Your remarks and responses are always appreciated.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG! How did I miss the last chapter?!

 

At least I got two-in-a-row out of it, without having to out-wait your wicked ending, :P

 

And so is this the turning point for our evil hero? Somehow I think there will be more than just shopping ahead. Marc is going to thoroughly vet our hapless hero's intent. But that could be good. Whatever it is, it will be well out of earshot of Lee.

 

A good (potential) turn here, and another fine chapter, Parker!

Link to comment

Maybe the predator will see that what Marc and Lee have, he may be able to have. Forgiveness and mercy, words he may grow to actually understand. It's easy to take, and hurt, but it's is hard to forgive, and harder still to be merciful.
nice Parker!!

Link to comment

Mercy....such a small word but such a powerful act. If the predator can truly understand mercy, then there may be hope for him yet. Fantastic chapter!

Link to comment

The Predator is certainly going to be questioned Marc is certainly not going to fill the empty space with chit-chat and meaningless chatter. TP is not going to have an easy time.

 

The cause is different, but there have been many stories on the news about homeless college students living in their cars. Food banks are taking food to colleges because some students are skipping meals because they can't afford to buy food. It's an especially big problem in the Bay Area because of the extremely high cost of living here, but it probably happens to a greater or lesser extent elsewhere too.

Link to comment
On 11/24/2016 03:35 AM, skinnydragon said:

OMG! How did I miss the last chapter?!

 

At least I got two-in-a-row out of it, without having to out-wait your wicked ending, :P

 

And so is this the turning point for our evil hero? Somehow I think there will be more than just shopping ahead. Marc is going to thoroughly vet our hapless hero's intent. But that could be good. Whatever it is, it will be well out of earshot of Lee.

 

A good (potential) turn here, and another fine chapter, Parker!

Our predator is currently quiescent, if not tamed by his misfortune. The chapter title may be overdoing it, for he isn't de-clawed or de-fanged. Marc might question the predator, or he may just seethe in silence. But you are right in that Lee will be kept well away from the predator, especially if Marc has anything to do about it. Many thanks for your review and response!

Link to comment
On 11/24/2016 03:44 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Maybe the predator will see that what Marc and Lee have, he may be able to have. Forgiveness and mercy, words he may grow to actually understand. It's easy to take, and hurt, but it's is hard to forgive, and harder still to be merciful.

nice Parker!!

Somehow, Lee understands mercy, understands forgiveness. Marc is learning, maybe, and has the chance of a lifetime to be faced with someone who was responsible for a degree of his own pain. I suspect that it either of these are hard for Marc to give, they will be harder to accept for the predator. Thanks for your steadfast support and response!

Link to comment
On 11/24/2016 03:59 AM, Okiegrad said:

Mercy....such a small word but such a powerful act. If the predator can truly understand mercy, then there may be hope for him yet. Fantastic chapter!

Mercy is such a hard thing to accept, and such a powerful the indeed. Perhaps Marc and Lee can help the predator understand mercy. At least Lee is trying. But will the predator try too? Many thanks for your support and response.

Link to comment
On 11/24/2016 04:54 AM, droughtquake said:

The Predator is certainly going to be questioned Marc is certainly not going to fill the empty space with chit-chat and meaningless chatter. TP is not going to have an easy time.

 

The cause is different, but there have been many stories on the news about homeless college students living in their cars. Food banks are taking food to colleges because some students are skipping meals because they can't afford to buy food. It's an especially big problem in the Bay Area because of the extremely high cost of living here, but it probably happens to a greater or lesser extent elsewhere too.

TP and Marc may have a rocky outing. Marc may simply seethe in silence, rather than risk a full on rant. What ever happens, it will not be meaningless. Your comments on food banks and homeless college students points again to some of the terrible choices students are being faced with as they struggle to make their very thin budgets work. Thank you for this response and for your excellent remarks.

Link to comment

Morning Light indeed, and yet not really light, lots of dark mixed into it, even if he sees what he has done. He seems to have believed that he was the only one whose parents were less than supportive or Lee's story would not have touched him somewhere. And he seems not to have realised that there is a world outside the one he created for himself, in which people only mattered in relation to him and his gratification or money.
At the moment he seems to be less driven by fear than drifting like a rudderless boat somewhere on a sea, picked up by mercy tinged with caution.
Marc seems to have managed to get out of the predator's clutches at terrible cost to himself. I wonder what dark times are still ahead for the predator to free himself from the consequences of his actions.
So, not really light, but much lighter than the chapters so far and much much less menacing than the first one. I admire the way you set atmospheres!
Thank you for this chapter.

Link to comment

people are talking about mercy and forgiveness are the same. to me thy are not. to me, mercy is something you can give to others even if "the crime" wasn't done to you. forgiveness is what you give to yourself after someone did something to you. that someone may feel better that you gave forgave them, but in all reality, the one who forgives receives the best rewards. you let go of the pain, the anger, the hatred. it's a hard victory for sure, been there, done that. more than once.

 

mogwai

Link to comment

Compare and contrast. Reflection and remorse. Back and forth. Looking and staying in the moment. Learning instead of knowing. These are what I see in our predator thanks to you. A process, a happening, a hope tempered, a chance.... fear of falling and fear of rising... brilliant introspection from simple disclosures... :worship: .............G

Link to comment

Oh yeah, there's no way Marc would let TP (thanks, Drought! :) ) anywhere near Lee without him being there. Understandably, he would be afraid TP would start in on Lee and try to break him too. Despite TP being all downtrodden, Marc doesn't trust him. Who would?

 

Lee's story started out very sad, and unfortunately, this is what happens to many gay kids who feel their lives are over because their parents/friends/society, etc., etc., don't accept them. Now both Lee and Marc have gotten stronger by being together.

 

I certainly wouldn't want to be TP right about now. I have a feeling Marc's going to tear him a new one.

 

Great chapter, Parker! :)

 

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Link to comment

Despite the pop psychology... forgiveness is something we do for ourselves.

 

Being angry and holding resentments has NO impact on the perpetrator. They may or may not even know they hurt you or that you are angry and resentful toward them. THEY don't suffer from our anger and resentment... The only one that suffers from anger and resentment is the person holding onto them.

 

So, forgiveness is a gift that we give to ourselves, whether or not the perpetrator even knows of the harm they caused you.

 

Think of it this way... if we hold anger and resentment toward a dead parent or someone we will never see again, who suffers? We do. If we forgive them, who benefits? We do...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/24/2016 05:53 AM, mayday said:

Morning Light indeed, and yet not really light, lots of dark mixed into it, even if he sees what he has done. He seems to have believed that he was the only one whose parents were less than supportive or Lee's story would not have touched him somewhere. And he seems not to have realised that there is a world outside the one he created for himself, in which people only mattered in relation to him and his gratification or money.

At the moment he seems to be less driven by fear than drifting like a rudderless boat somewhere on a sea, picked up by mercy tinged with caution.

Marc seems to have managed to get out of the predator's clutches at terrible cost to himself. I wonder what dark times are still ahead for the predator to free himself from the consequences of his actions.

So, not really light, but much lighter than the chapters so far and much much less menacing than the first one. I admire the way you set atmospheres!

Thank you for this chapter.

I don't think the predator (TP, thanks to drought) will ever be fully free of the consequences of his actions. But you are right in that TP now begins to see beyond the borders of himself; his perspective is a little but higher, so he can see farther. Your metaphor of drift is apt, and I think it very wise indeed. And I agree with your perception that it is not light, but something brighter that we see. For TP, that in itself represents a great sea change. Thank you for your acuity, and for your encouragement, and for your kind support. Most of all, thank you for reading!

Link to comment
On 11/24/2016 08:48 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Yes!

I tend to root for the anti-hero and you came through in spades. He has a life-line, let's hope it's strong enough.

Lee threw the lifeline, Marc grudgingly paid out the rope. TP (thanks, drought) has had the good sense to hang on, but as Mayday points out, he is still drifting. Thanks for your encouragement, and for reading!

Link to comment
On 11/24/2016 10:04 AM, mogwhy said:

people are talking about mercy and forgiveness are the same. to me thy are not. to me, mercy is something you can give to others even if "the crime" wasn't done to you. forgiveness is what you give to yourself after someone did something to you. that someone may feel better that you gave forgave them, but in all reality, the one who forgives receives the best rewards. you let go of the pain, the anger, the hatred. it's a hard victory for sure, been there, done that. more than once.

 

mogwai

Very well said. I think Lee sees mercy as something that may be a little more detached than forgiveness; maybe it is, as you suggest, an action you can take or something you can do or give. It doesn't necessarily go with forgiveness, which I agree, is something different. Marc may be merciful for Lee's sake, but can he forgive? Can TP accept that? Great thoughts and I appreciate them. Many , many thanks for these comments, and for reading.

Link to comment
On 11/24/2016 11:51 AM, Headstall said:

Compare and contrast. Reflection and remorse. Back and forth. Looking and staying in the moment. Learning instead of knowing. These are what I see in our predator thanks to you. A process, a happening, a hope tempered, a chance.... fear of falling and fear of rising... brilliant introspection from simple disclosures... :worship: .............G

TP (the predator..thank you, drought) can see more clearly than he has been able to in years. Perhaps his perspective is better, and he can see beyond himself and his immediate desires. What does he do with this newer broader vision? You are very, very kind and generous in your comments; I am so very grateful. Thanks especially for hanging in there and reading this tale.

Link to comment

How did I miss this? I feel a crack in my feelings toward the Predator. Lee delivered a powerful line about mercy. It was Lincoln who said that mercy bears richer fruit than justice or something.. In receiving that at least from Lee, the Predator is beginning to crack too..
Marc no doubt is trying, but i would hate to be the Predator alone with him right now..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/24/2016 04:13 PM, Lisa said:

Oh yeah, there's no way Marc would let TP (thanks, Drought! :) ) anywhere near Lee without him being there. Understandably, he would be afraid TP would start in on Lee and try to break him too. Despite TP being all downtrodden, Marc doesn't trust him. Who would?

 

Lee's story started out very sad, and unfortunately, this is what happens to many gay kids who feel their lives are over because their parents/friends/society, etc., etc., don't accept them. Now both Lee and Marc have gotten stronger by being together.

 

I certainly wouldn't want to be TP right about now. I have a feeling Marc's going to tear him a new one.

 

Great chapter, Parker! :)

 

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Marc and TP may manage to bear with each other, if only for the sake of Lee, who wants to do good. But you are surely right that Marc will do anything to protect Lee. TP (it kind of grows on one, doesn't it?) is probably just happy to have had a warm bed in an actual house. I am glad you continue to read this story, and I thank you for your perceptive comments...

Link to comment
On 11/27/2016 05:04 AM, Defiance19 said:

How did I miss this? I feel a crack in my feelings toward the Predator. Lee delivered a powerful line about mercy. It was Lincoln who said that mercy bears richer fruit than justice or something.. In receiving that at least from Lee, the Predator is beginning to crack too..

Marc no doubt is trying, but i would hate to be the Predator alone with him right now..

Drought dubbed him TP, and it sticks...ahem...and you are absolutely right in that TP and Marc will not make a particularly happy pair right now. I wonder what the other shoppers at the grocery store will make of them. But if Lee is being his truly good self, then Marc is, as you say, making an effort. TP probably appreciates it, although Marc's ferocity may make that difficult. Many thanks for your remarks and comments, and most of all, for continuing to read this story.

Link to comment

Reform. That the word is even in human vocabularies shows that it's needed, and it's needed because it does happen.
Make me a believer.

Link to comment
On 01/30/2017 10:15 AM, Geron Kees said:

Reform. That the word is even in human vocabularies shows that it's needed, and it's needed because it does happen.

Make me a believer.

The Predator may choose a new path. It is possible, at least, and many others in real life have chosen such changes. But can he do so? Thanks for reading!

Link to comment

Referring to TP as "the guest" indicates quite the change. A guest provokes the duties of hospitality from the host, which, even in our post-Christian culture, are substantial. TP goes from being the criminal along the road to the being the man in the ditch. As Lee says, he and Marc are better than kicking someone who's already down. But forgiveness requires honesty about the injury that was done, and that should not be forgotten.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..