Jump to content
    Percy
  • Author
  • 899 Words
  • 1,002 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Neither Here Nor There - 6. Chapter 6

From Hudson's point of view.

Hudson

“This one’s out of order.” I heard Tango direct the waiting customer to use the other restroom as e slipped out and returned to work. E hadn’t wanted the two of us to be seen leaving together while e was on the job, so I stayed behind as e left on eir own.


I’d found em. The urge to raise my hands and do a victory lap around the room beckoned me. I’m far too reserved to do any such thing however, even in private, so I just visualized the victory lap in my head. Once I figured the hallway was empty, I slung my messenger bag crossways over my torso and left the restroom behind.

Maybe it was the distraction of my mental victory celebration or maybe it was the semi-darkness of the hallway, but I completely failed to avoid the prick waiting to pop the balloon of elation carrying me out of the coffee shop.

“I need to talk to you.”

The stocky blond stood blocking my way to the exit. A tribal tattoo circled the bicep of one arm and a Tasmanian devil spun under the shirt sleeve of the other. They were crossed over the chest of my would-be interrogator.

“Do I know you?”

“Dale.” A jaw thrust out as if even the courtesy of a name was reluctantly given. “I’m Tango’s housemate. And eir boss.”


Ah. The birthday boy. Or boi. Like Tango, Dale seemed to occupy some sort of middle gender territory. E looked pissed. We’d never met. I was pretty sure of that, and I couldn’t imagine why e was coming at me so aggressively.


“I’m Hudson,” I inclined my head. “But I take it you already knew that.”


“I don’t pay Tango to socialize during eir shift.”


“My apologies. I was just on my way out.” I made a move to do just that, sensing that this was a tinderbox I clearly wanted to avoid igniting. Sounded like I’d inadvertently put Tango in hot water.

Dale, however, didn’t budge and I was forced to stop.


“Tango says e invited you to my party tonight.”

I nodded, seeing where this was going and completely clueless as to what this kid’s issue with me was.

“Well, consider yourself uninvited. I have enough guests coming already; there’s no room for another.”

“Alright,” I drew the word out.

Best just to get out of here. Clearly anything I said was only going to make things worse for Tango. “I’ll give em a call when eir shift is over and let em know I won’t be there.”


This time I moved forward with no intention of stopping and Dale stepped aside. “Tango would be better off if you left em alone altogether. E’s got enough problems.”

I turned and took in the icy glare that had been watching my retreat. “Mind telling me why you think I’d be adding to them?”

“You’re conceited. You’re self-absorbed. You only look out for yourself. Tango needs someone who understands em and what e goes through on a daily basis. Someone who will put em first.”

“Someone like yourself?” Dale spoke like a jealous lover and I wondered if Tango was, perhaps, not as unattached as I had imagined. Instinctively I brushed Dale’s personal attack aside. I’d long ago trained myself not to be drawn into arguments with people who’d already formed an opinion of me.

“I’m Tango’s friend. I do understand em.”

I shook my head. “You may understand em. But I can assure you, that you do not know or understand me in the slightest.

“You don’t want me at your birthday party? Fine. I won’t be there. But as far as staying away from Tango, e’s going to have to tell me that emself.”


I made it out of the coffee shop and over to the motorcycle I’d left parked down the block.

Dale’s words rankled, as they were meant to, but a character debate would have solved nothing. As I pulled my helmet on an incredible weariness settled on me. Nothing in my life was straightforward. As it turns out, not even an easy hook-up in a bookstore was straightforward.

Impulsively, instead of heading home, I turned the bike onto the freeway and merged into the far left lane. The stream of cars was intent on getting out of town with as much speed as possible. I joined them. The concentration it took to maneuver the powerful bike through the slipstream of the cars kept the anger and disappointment at bay. The adrenaline revived me, flushed out the bitter thoughts.

When the suburbs thinned, encroaching on the fruit orchards, I took an exit off the freeway and turned back towards the city. Riding at a more sedate speed, I considered how to communicate this latest development to Tango. I didn’t want to call Dale out right away. E was Tango’s boss, landlord, questionably a friend and possibly a lover. I’d need to tread lightly when bringing up the discussion between Dale and me in the hallway. I wanted to hear from Tango exactly what the full extent of their relationship was.

Eir phone went to voicemail when I called, and in the end I settled on a short text message.

“Something unexpected came up after I left your coffee shop this afternoon. I won’t be at the party tonight. Call me!”

From Hudson't point of view.
Copyright © 2012 Percy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 03/21/2012 09:32 AM, carringtonrj said:
Neatly done. But too short! :) Want to know what happens next! Enjoying this.
Thanks for leaving a note. Next chapter is longer and coming soon. Just need to clean it up a bit...maybe by the weekend. :-)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..