Jump to content
    Puppilull
  • Author
  • 1,822 Words
  • 2,007 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Drifts - 2. Precinct

Joel and Lucas talk to the police. Set at the end of Frost, between chapter 12 and 13.

“Well, it’s not like we have a choice. They did say they wanted to talk to us first thing today.” Frowning, Joel sat down on their bed next to Lucas who lay newly awakened tangled in the sheets. He gave his boyfriend a stern look as he rubbed his head to dry his hair after his shower. What was Lucas suggesting? Stay away from a police inquiry?

“Maybe they only meant it figuratively…? I’m too tired...” The sound of Lucas’ whining had Joel roll his eyes. Lucas changed track. “Besides, we should spend today celebrating our engagement!” For a moment, Joel was tempted. Then Lucas waggled his eyebrows and the spell was broken. There would be plenty of time to celebrate later. Besides, certain parts of his body needed a rest this morning. Joel shook his head.

“We were allowed to leave on the condition that we showed up today and only because I convinced them I would honor that being a cop myself. Also after the interview, you’re supposed to go to work. So get a move on. I suppose you need a shower…?”

“Like I would go out smelling like this! Last night was way too intense…” Lucas smirked and got out of bed. “And you might want to bring a pillow. They don’t have very comfortable chairs…” Ducking from the pillow Joel threw across the room, a laughing Lucas escaped into the bathroom.

Joel heard the water running and shook his head at his teasing boyfriend. His ass did ache in a distinct but not unpleasant way. There had been so much pent up desire and need for them to take it slow. So he had been steamrolled. And ended up with a fiancé. Such a strange night it had turned out to be. Strange but also sort of amazing. Lucas’ annoying friend Pierce had revealed himself as a pretty decent guy. And then that attempted mugging, thwarted by Joel.

After straightening his shirt and making sure he was properly tucked in, Joel fixed his hair. With the amount he had, it was a quick manoeuver. He regarded himself in the bedroom mirror and was pretty pleased with what he saw. Resolving the issues he and Lucas had had over the past few months obviously agreed with him. He looked more rested than he had in ages, despite having been up half the night dancing and then ‘playing’ with Lucas.

Stepping into the kitchen, he found Mason already up and focused on a bowl of cereal. The kind of focus on food only a growing 16-year-old could have. With the amount of training Mason had on his schedule, Joel was surprised they had any food left at all in the house.

“You ready for school?”

A silent nod was all he got, but that was OK. He wasn’t picking up any weird vibes indicating Mason had overheard them last night. At least that was a good thing about kids. They slept like logs.

“I’m going to the police with Lucas this morning. Just thought you should now.” The alarm on the teenager’s face had Joel continue hurriedly. “We’re all right. Just some idiots tried to mug us last night. I dealt with them and now the police want to talk to us.”

“Cool.” The glimmer in Mason’s eyes told Joel he was impressed by his Swedish trainer/stand in dad. Even though he should be above wanting to impress a kid, Joel still stood a little taller. He snorted quietly at his own vanity.

On the ride over to the police station, Lucas tried to coach Joel on how to properly answer the questions from the police. Joel looked at him sideways.

“Listen, I know you’re a lawyer and all, but between the two of us, who has interrogated the most people in connection with a crime?” Even when Lucas started squirming, Joel didn’t take his eyes off him.

“You…” The reply was low.

“Then perhaps you could agree that I may know how to handle this?” Joel stared him down. “If there’s one thing I am good at besides ice hockey, it’s being a cop.”

“I just don’t want you to get in trouble.” Reaching out and running a thumb over Joel’s cheek, Lucas tried to explain himself. “Things can spiral out of hand.”

Joel took Lucas’ hand, engulfing it in his own.

“It’ll be OK. You’ll be there, right? We’ve done nothing wrong.”

With that, Lucas nodded and dropped the subject. It was clear, though, as they approached the reception desk, that he was still tense. Joel pulled out a card they’d been given with the police officer’s name, slid it over the desk and stated their business. After waiting for 20 minutes, they were ushered into a room. Together, since they refused to be separated. Or rather Lucas refused.

After an additional ten-minute wait, two police officers entered the room. They looked very proper in suits and not at all like the ones from shows on TV. Joel was glad Lucas didn’t try to lighten the mood by telling a donut joke. Something told him it wouldn’t have gone over well.

“Good morning. I’m Detective Holt and this is Detective Gunderson. We’re holding the interview regarding the attempted robbery last night.” Holt shuffled through some papers and then peered up at Lucas. “You were there too?”

“Yes, I was out with my fiancé when those thugs attacked us.” Lucas emphasized the word fiancé and combined it with an unyielding stare.

Holt hummed and looked at his partner.

“Shouldn’t they be interviewed separately? Why did Kim put them in here together…?”

Gunderson shrugged but said nothing.

“I’m also Mr. Laska’s legal counsel.” Lucas put an end to the discussion. “Should he need one.” The last was added with an edge. Joel wondered if such a harsh attitude was necessary, but he didn’t want to question Lucas in front of the officers.

“Fine, it’s not like we’re investigating regicide…” Holt turned to Joel. “So, Mr. Laska, maybe we could start with you. You’re a police officer from Sweden, is that correct?” When Joel nodded, Holt grabbed a pencil and looked at him expectantly. “Could you tell us what happened last night?”

Joel tried to give an account of the events from the night before, without going into too much detail. Just as he preferred his witnesses to act in an interview. At first, Holt and Gunderson didn’t interrupt, only emitting the occasional grunt and affirmative noise. When Joel got to the actual diffusing of the situation, Holt put his pencil down and looked at Joel, eyebrows scrunched.

“So, you handled them all alone? Two guys? You didn’t know if they were armed…” The detective sounded slightly in awe of the blond in front of him.

“Well, they were only two and just kids. I could tell they weren’t trained in hand to hand fighting. Besides, Lucas and Pierce were there.” Joel shrugged, feeling as if it was nothing.

Lucas snorted.

“Like we were any help…”

“Sure you were. Three is always better than one.” Joel tried to sound reassuring and reached over to squeeze Lucas’ hand.

“So you were just walking home, minding your own business and these guys showed up…?” Gunderson joined the interview, posing his first question, and Joel detected something. A definite tone of disapproval.

“Yes, as I said. We were looking for a cab.” Joel repeated his own words, trying to be concise.

“And out of the blue two guys tried to attack the three of you?” Continuing his questioning, Gunderson leaned back and gave Joel a hard glare. “Especially you…?” Gunderson waved his hand, indicating Joel’s size. The situation made Joel get an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach.

“What are you insinuating?” Joel looked from Gunderson to Holt and back again. “That we had something to do with this?”

“Well… A couple of…” From Gunderson’s additional gesturing, it was clear what his next words would be. Luckily, he never made it that far.

“Gunderson!” Holt crisply cut his partner short.

“I’m just saying that prancing around town like that and flaunt yourselves like that is…” A suggestive tilt of the head underlined the detective’s words.

Something flashed before Joel’s vision and his fists clenched. Hard.

“I mean, it could be seen as provocative.” Gunderson was apparently unaware of the effect his words had on Joel and smirked up at him as he continued.

“Are you implying we brought this on ourselves?” Joel rose from his chair, towering above the detectives. As he spoke, his voice was louder than he expected.

“Oh, shit…” From far away he could hear Lucas. “Joel…” The apprehension was clear in his boyfriend’s voice.

Anger threatened to seize Joel, but hearing Lucas’ pleading made him rein in his temper. Instead, he took a deep breath and focused on the bite of his nails into the skin of his palms to ground himself. After collecting his thoughts, Joel stared at Gunderson.

“Provocative? Is that how they teach you to respond to a victim of a crime here in the US? Or is this behavior reserved for certain ‘types’ of victims? Ones you don’t approve of…?” Joel shook his head to keep his temper in check. “To imply that we had any part in being attacked by those idiots is nothing short of outrageous. If I had done anything remotely like that as an officer in Sweden, I would have been reprimanded severely.”

Gunderson had turned pale and seemed unable to respond. If Joel wasn’t so upset, the guy’s fish out of water impression would have been funny. Right now, he wasn’t amused.

“Please, please, Mr. Laska… Sit down.” Holt had gotten up out of his chair and was holding his hands palms out trying to placate Joel. “My partner has a clumsy way with words at times. I can assure you this is not how this department handles investigations and I’m sorry if Gunderson gave you that impression.”

Joel huffed and sat down. Lucas snuck up beside him and placed a hand on his arm, the simple touch dwindling Joel’s anger to manageable levels. Then Lucas turned to the detectives.

“Perhaps I should give my statement and then we can be done here?”

Holt quickly nodded and after some minutes of Lucas more or less repeating Joel’s statement, they were done. After a few last details regarding contact information, they were excused.

As they walked out of the precinct, Lucas took Joel’s hand in his.

“Well, big bear, you sure told him a thing or two…!”

Blushing, Joel ducked his head.

“I’m sorry. I just couldn’t believe what that guy was saying. I got so mad…”

“Don’t apologize! You did nothing wrong. That douche had it coming. I bet he’s very happy violence isn’t really your thing.” Lucas raised up on his toes and kissed Joel lightly on the lips. “Walk me to the office?”

Thanks to TimothyM for the inspiration for this little scene!
Copyright © 2017 Puppilull; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yay ! :2thumbs: Thank you, my Swedish friend, for this missing part from Frost. It was exactly as awesome as I'd hoped, and I bet Joel in a righteous rage had that officer close to pissing himself. :lol: And Lucas was suitably impressed too. I bet he tells Pierce to reinforce the new positive relationship between his best friend and his fiance.

Edited by Timothy M.
Link to comment

Tak! Perfect in your timing, and tone. Loved how Lucas remained Joel's point of focus when anger threatened to derail everything. A wonderful vignette.

Link to comment
On 01/16/2017 04:54 PM, Lux Apollo said:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

 

Ahhhh... my daily dose of happiness, thanks to you!

That they are! A little cloud of happiness, so easy to write.

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Link to comment
On 01/17/2017 12:19 AM, Parker Owens said:

Tak! Perfect in your timing, and tone. Loved how Lucas remained Joel's point of focus when anger threatened to derail everything. A wonderful vignette.

Very kind words! And I'm sure Gunderson is very relieved about Lucas' 'power' over Joel. The big guy doesn't lose it very often, but when he does it's best to run for cover!

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Link to comment
On 01/16/2017 08:38 AM, Timothy M. said:

Yay ! :D Thank you, my Swedish friend, for this missing part from Frost.It was exactly as awesome as I'd hoped, and I bet Joel in a righteous rage had that officer close to pissing himself. :lol: And Lucas was suitably impressed too. I bet he tells Pierce to reinforce the new positive relationship between his best friend and his fiance.

I'm glad I could bring your idea into writing in a satisfying way! I might work slow sometimes, but I never forget a good idea. An angry Joel would be scary and aweinspiring. A bit like a bear on its hind legs.

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Good for Joel! That cop was an ass and deserved to be dressed down. I think Joel and Lucas should also lodge a complaint. Maybe there won't be anything done this time, but with enough complaints, or something more severe done by this guy, the guy's personnel file will be papered.
It was great to read about the guys again :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/17/2017 02:25 PM, LitLover said:

Good for Joel! That cop was an ass and deserved to be dressed down. I think Joel and Lucas should also lodge a complaint. Maybe there won't be anything done this time, but with enough complaints, or something more severe done by this guy, the guy's personnel file will be papered.

It was great to read about the guys again :)

Maybe Lucas will be in touch with the department. Joel is probably too loyal to cops, even those of the as shat variety, to do so. Or they can just sick Pierce on the guy. He'll wish he'd never been born...

 

There are more coming. Just hold on!

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Don't you just love Joel. And thank goodness Lucas was there to keep him from exploding. Hopefully there are more police like Holt than Gunderson out there. Thanks. Jeff

Link to comment
On 01/18/2017 03:49 AM, JeffreyL said:

Don't you just love Joel. And thank goodness Lucas was there to keep him from exploding. Hopefully there are more police like Holt than Gunderson out there. Thanks. Jeff

Yes. Yes I do love Joel. In a platonic and non-weird way of course...! And he can only take so much (unless it's Lucas doing the giving ;) ). I share your hope and I believe so, based on the police officers I've met in life.

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Link to comment

This was so very nice... Normally it would probably be Lucas who jumped in, but it says a lot that it was Joel who lost his cool. And with just a touch Lucas simmered him down. Loved that. Genderson so deserved it though..
Thanks Puppi. I enjoyed it.

Link to comment
On 01/20/2017 07:15 AM, Defiance19 said:

This was so very nice... Normally it would probably be Lucas who jumped in, but it says a lot that it was Joel who lost his cool. And with just a touch Lucas simmered him down. Loved that. Genderson so deserved it though..

Thanks Puppi. I enjoyed it.

Joel takes such pride in his work and to meet someone who goes against everything he's ever been taught and believe must be infuriating. I think the fact that it was a cop during an interview was a bigger trigger than the actual words or hints... And lucky for Officer Asshat that Lucas was there!

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Link to comment

Fortunately there are more Holts (like the Captain on Brooklyn Nine-Nine?) than Gundersons these days. Gunderson-types used to be predominate even into the '70s. But it only takes a couple to ruin a department's reputation! Aging out and training have helped to create more Holts, but some department cultures are more resistant than others to change.

 

Anecdotal evidence suggests that there still needs to be work done especially when it comes to attitudes towards Black, Brown, and Trans individuals. And intersectionality puts certain people at even greater risk.

 


While I've enjoyed revisiting Joel and Lucas in their Thaw and Frost eras, I have been hoping to gain more insight into their post-Frost lives. Where are they living? How are Mason, grandpa, Anita, Lars, and Vidar doing? Has Lucas installed a sling yet? Have they discovered the Safe Word concept? Has Joel gotten his Green Card? Am I asking too many questions?

Link to comment
On 01/25/2017 09:44 AM, droughtquake said:

Fortunately there are more Holts (like the Captain on Brooklyn Nine-Nine?) than Gundersons these days. Gunderson-types used to be predominate even into the '70s. But it only takes a couple to ruin a department's reputation! Aging out and training have helped to create more Holts, but some department cultures are more resistant than others to change.

 

Anecdotal evidence suggests that there still needs to be work done especially when it comes to attitudes towards Black, Brown, and Trans individuals. And intersectionality puts certain people at even greater risk.

 

 

While I've enjoyed revisiting Joel and Lucas in their Thaw and Frost eras, I have been hoping to gain more insight into their post-Frost lives. Where are they living? How are Mason, grandpa, Anita, Lars, and Vidar doing? Has Lucas installed a sling yet? Have they discovered the Safe Word concept? Has Joel gotten his Green Card? Am I asking too many questions?

I know things have fortunately changed for the better and I hope no one thinks I believe the ratio of Holts and Gundersons are 50-50. Still, the less nice ones exist. A pity not all them face an enraged Joel to set them straight...

 

I'm so sorry I missed your review. I try to keep up, but this one got away from me... :( And you have such delicious little ideas too! Must take them under consideration. I have to admit I first thought Green Card was something naughty... LOL

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..