Jump to content
    Puppilull
  • Author
  • 142 Words
  • 680 Views
  • 8 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Puppilull's poetry prompts - 9. Poetry prompt 13 - Ghazal

Förenade bortom vårt sköra förstånd

I våra kroppar kan vi göra motstånd

 

Åtskilda är vi av tvingande makter

Ofattbar ondska som vill förstöra motstånd

 

Ett hat utan gränser söker här vår död

Ett genomtänkt försök att förgöra motstånd

 

Mina spruckna läppar söker nå din kropp

I min viskning kan du tyst höra motstånd

 

Utan att se dig, inte kunna röra

Gör vi genom att trotsigt förföra motstånd

 

Connected beyond our frail consciousness

Through our bodies we can provide resistance

 

Separated by oppressing powers

Unimaginable evil that seeks to quell resistance

 

Borderless hatred seeks our death

A calculated attempt to destroy resistance

 

My broken lips trying to reach your body

In my whisper you can hear quiet resistance

 

Without seeing you, not being able to touch

By defiant seduction we provide resistance

It was crazy hard to write a poem in Swedish. The translation is almost word for word, so it might not be all that poetic in it self...
Copyright © 2016 Puppilull; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Every time, each one is better. The movie was gripping, and that scene was just so moving. You interpreted the scene wonderfully.

Link to comment

I knew you would do it, Puppilull!. It's wonderful. Resistance. Such a powerful word in this context. You made the scene live again in my mind... "my broken lips".... so evocative... You should feel pride... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

You said it yourself: It's much closer in your native language. You took the weekend and the result is impressive. You have mastered the challenge.

Link to comment
On 09/07/2015 09:20 AM, Defiance19 said:

Every time, each one is better. The movie was gripping, and that scene was just so moving. You interpreted the scene wonderfully.

Thank you! I don't know if it's better, but I think it's getting easier to get to the heart of what I want to say. The challenges really help to question my writing and hopefully make it progress.

 

That scene is so powerful I was almost intimidated trying to do it justice.

Link to comment
On 09/07/2015 10:45 AM, Headstall said:

I knew you would do it, Puppilull!. It's wonderful. Resistance. Such a powerful word in this context. You made the scene live again in my mind... "my broken lips".... so evocative... You should feel pride... cheers... Gary...

Thanks for reviewing! That one word finally made my brain catch on to what I wanted to say. I'm glad the poem seems to work in English, even if the form of Ghazal had to be sacrificed....

Link to comment
On 09/07/2015 04:23 PM, aditus said:

You said it yourself: It's much closer in your native language. You took the weekend and the result is impressive. You have mastered the challenge.

Thank you for such kind words. I wouldn't say I mastered it, but it was very interesting to write in this form. The language added to the experience. I also noted once more that translation is an art form all on it's own. Swedish and English are so very different, I almost didn't do a translation at all. Now I'm very happy I did.

Link to comment

I'm very glad you decided to go for a more strict Ghazal form. The repetition of the chosen word becomes a powerful refrain, both in meaning and in sound.

 

The back and forth in the poem about consciousness and bodies both being at times free and captive is fascinating.

 

I'm glad you did the poem in Swedish, even though it was a challenge, because, hey – these poetry prompts are supposed to push a person with a view to expand experience.

 

Thank you for taking the challenge. You did a great job!

Link to comment
On 09/08/2015 05:37 AM, AC Benus said:

I'm very glad you decided to go for a more strict Ghazal form. The repetition of the chosen word becomes a powerful refrain, both in meaning and in sound.

 

The back and forth in the poem about consciousness and bodies both being at times free and captive is fascinating.

 

I'm glad you did the poem in Swedish, even though it was a challenge, because, hey – these poetry prompts are supposed to push a person with a view to expand experience.

 

Thank you for taking the challenge. You did a great job!

Well, I'm a lawyer and like to follow rules! So of course I had to do the stricter version. :) Seriously though, I find that by trying to write within the confines of a form, I get help to break out of my usual staccato form of poetry. So the prompts have expanded my thoughts on what poetry can be.

 

I'm glad that back and forth came through. It was important to me to capture that.

 

Thanks for your review! And for the prompt!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..