Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,626 Words
  • 3,065 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beyond Frontier - 5. BF Chapter 5

“Oh, I see. What do you want to do about those bastards?” Simon said after he watched the meeting between the reporters and the guests.

“When they get back, get them to pack their gear and tell them to get off my vessel. They can find their own way to Exmouth,” I replied. Once they have been told, I will give their boss a call to break the news to him.

Simon headed downstairs and I watched him as he continued to supervise and help with the unloading of the supplies to the local grocery store. Just as they finished, I spotted the two guests returning. I watched Simon announce to them that they would be leaving the vessel as soon as they were packed, for breaking the skipper’s directive of not speaking to the media. I dialled the Logistic manager’s mobile number, as I watched the two guests arguing with Simon.

“This is Anton Hamilton from the RV Beyond Frontier. We have just completed deliveries in Carnarvon, with Coral Bay and Exmouth tomorrow. I am calling to inform you that your two staff members are being ordered to pack and leave the vessel for failing to follow my directive of not speaking to the media. I will leave it up to you to sort out their accommodation and transport from now on. Goodbye,” I said when the call was answered. I ended the call not allowing him to respond.

When I had finished the call, I saw Simon step back on board. A few minutes later he appeared on the bridge just as I was making a call to the police. “Hello, this is the skipper of the RV Beyond Frontier. We have two members of the media who have been hassling us since Kalbarri, due to us delivering the stores that are usually delivered by trucks that are on strike. We also are evicting two guests from the vessel, and would appreciate some support if it is required,” I said when the call was answered.

“Yes, Mr Hamilton. We just heard your previous message. We will be there shortly,” the officer responded, which I was pleased to hear.

Within minutes two police vehicles appeared, with one stopping to speak to the media, and the other coming right up to where we were moored. I went down to meet them, with Simon following me. “Hello, I am Anton. This is my engineer, Simon. Welcome aboard,” I said to the officers, and I led them upstairs to the guest cabins, where I found the guests had not packed their belongings. We went to the multi-use room, where we found both men chatting. “These gentlemen are here to escort you off this vessel, so I suggest you get packing and get off my vessel,” I said to the two men.

“We have spoken to our boss, and he told to stay put,” one of the men responded.

“Well, I have news for you. This is my vessel and I am the skipper. You went against the directive I gave to my crew and you two when we were in Kalbarri, so you are now required to pack and leave. If you do not I will leave you in the hands of these two gentlemen,” I responded. Both men just sat there, crossing their arms across their chests, determined to stay. I stepped to one side, and the two police officers approached the two men and arrested them.

“Simon, can you get the ladies to pack all of these men’s belonging, and have them delivered to the police station please,” I said to my best friend.

“Yes, Skipper. They are already on their way,” Simon replied with a smile, and I stepped out of the room, and headed upstairs to the bridge. I observed the police escorting the two men in handcuffs off the vessel, followed by my three crew members carrying their belongings.

When I saw the crew returning, I picked up the radio mic, and switched it to outside deck. “Attention crew. Prepare for immediate departure,” I announced. Next, I switched the radio back to vhf mode. “Bridge to galley, you receiving me Finn?” I said.

“Loud and clear, skipper,” came the cheerful reply.

“Just checking that you are on board before we leave. We will be anchoring at an offshore island overnight,” I responded, pleased that Finn was on board.

After speaking to Finn, I headed downstairs, where I found Mathew doing food prep for Finn. “I decided that since I don’t have much to do, I should keep myself busy as a galley hand,” Mathew said to me with a smile, as Finn handed me a cup of tea and I headed back to the bridge to prepare for departure. An hour later we had safely anchored on the eastern side of Bernier Island, 52 kilometres offshore, and most of the crew decided to explore the island while there was still plenty of daylight.

I was sitting in the lounge with Mathew, when my mobile rang. “Hamilton Ocean Charters,” I said answering the call.

“Mr Hamilton, this is the director of the UWA Oceans Institute. We received your correspondence, and we would like to arrange for a research expedition, lasting for 7 to 9 days, either from Exmouth to Fremantle or the other way around, to commence in a week’s time if possible,” the director said to me.

“Well, sir, we are currently en-route to Exmouth. We are anchored off Bernier Island, off the Carnarvon coast, and will arrive at Exmouth at approximately 1600 hours tomorrow. It will take a further 3 days to get back to Fremantle,” I responded.

“I see. Well, if I can do some fast organising, we can meet you in Exmouth in 5 days’ time, if that is agreeable with you,” the research director replied.

“Yes, sir. That will be fine by us. Let us know what time your flight arrives in Exmouth, and I will arrange for transport for you all. How many will there be in your group?” I responded.

“There will be myself, and two other staff researchers, and 8 post-grad researchers,” the director replied.

“That is a perfect number. Everyone can have their own cabin. I will charge just $110 per cabin per day, instead of the full cabin rate. That will cover all food and soft drinks. There will be no alcohol on board, and none will be permitted on board, as it is a working vessel, plus there is the $360 per day fuel levy,” I said.

After the call had ended, I sat down with my lap top to make out a research charter from Exmouth to Fremantle, with at least 24-hour stops at most locations. A few hours later, I had finalised an 8-day charter, with just over 23-hour stops at Coral Bay and Denham, an 11-hour stop at Kalbarri, a 36-hour stop at the Abrolhos Islands, a 19-hour stop at Jurien Bay, and a 27-hour stop at Rottnest Island. I sent it via email to the Oceans Institute Director.

As dinner ended I cleared my throat to indicate to the crew that I wanted to speak, and everyone went silent. “We have another charter, this time for marine research, starting from Exmouth down to Fremantle, for 6 days with 6 stops on the way.

This is a UWA Oceans Institute charter, so we have to be very professional with this charter. Once we arrive in Exmouth, we will have a 4 day wait for their arrival. There are 3 staff and 8 post-grad students, with the director himself coming on this trip. He can have the other crew cabin on this deck, and the others will have a cabin each.

Depending on if there are any media issues at Exmouth, all crew will have 28 hours shore leave, divided into two groups, to ensure there are crew on board at all times for security reasons. The first group, which is most of you, can start at 1800 hrs Thursday - that’s tomorrow - once unloading is completed.

The second group will be Mathew and I, and we will start shore leave at 2200 hrs on Friday, and return by 2200 hrs on Saturday. If there is a problem with media, we will head to the Murion Islands, just to the north. That’s all I have to say,” I announced.

Once dinner was completed, I logged back onto my computer and found a return email from the Oceans Institute.

“Mr Hamilton,

thank you for the suggested itinerary that you sent me. However, there is a set area that we will be wanting to do our research. I cannot tell you about it via email, as it is sensitive information, but I can assure you you will be fully briefed as soon as we arrive on Sunday at 12 noon. Till then I cannot say anymore. Dr Carrington.”

I was a little surprised by this email, and wondered what could be so sensitive about this chartered trip.

We left the Carnarvon region on time at 0600 the next morning, with Coral Bay being our next destination, where the town jetty is two kilometres south of town. I was not sure what we could do to avoid the media if they were there waiting for us. When we arrived at 1000 am I was feeling very uneasy when from a distance I could see 5 men plus a police officer standing at the start of the jetty, and a number of media standing in front of them.

When my mobile rang, and I saw that it was Jasper’s ID, I smiled. “Hi, mate. How was the charter? Did you have a good trip?” I asked when I answered the call.

“Hello, boss. Yes, it was good, but we are busy with other duties at the moment,” Jasper replied. I was not sure what he was meaning.

“Hang on, Jas. Is that you near the jetty at Coral Bay by any chance? I asked, and I heard Jas chuckle.

“You got it, boss. The whole team is here to give assistance. A friend from Kalbarri alerted me to your media problems, so as soon as we had finished the charter, we packed some clothes and flew up to Exmouth yesterday, and travelled down this morning, cramped into the Police wagon, to help out,” Jasper replied.


“Well that is excellent news. See you shortly,” I replied and I ended the call then switched the radio over to PA. “Attention all crew. We have the media waiting for us, but we also have a welcome party as well. Prepare for mooring,” I announced. Simon and Mathew both appeared shortly after with Simon grabbing the binoculars for a closer look.

“Holy catfish! It’s Jas and the whole crew. They have formed a human barrier to stop the media getting too close,” Simon said surprised, and I just smiled.

Once we had moored at the jetty, the human barrier allowed for the forklift and small truck to get onto the jetty, and still keep the media away. Simon headed downstairs to supervise the offloading of the supplies, which he, Mathew and the ladies did quickly and efficiently. Once it was completed, the police wagon drove onto the jetty, so Jasper and Simon could transfer the luggage to the vessel, while Lisa and Rebecca were on standby to release the mooring.

All at once, Jasper and his crew and Simon dashed on board and the ladies released the ropes. Mathew who was now on the bridge and was watching what was happening on the jetty, told me when to get going, leaving the police officer from Exmouth to stand guard against the media. He gave a short wave as we headed North West towards the gap in the reef.

Once clear of the reef I increased the speed to 35 knots since we had very smooth seas thanks to a very slight breeze. “Hey, boss, do you want me to take over for a while to give you a break?” Jasper said to me when he arrived on the bridge.

“That would be great thanks, bud. I will go and catch up with the others,” I replied as I handed over control to Jasper and headed downstairs to the dining area where I was suddenly surrounded in a group hug from Kirk, Leon, Alex and Toby, with Finn and Mathew joining in.

“Ok, guys, it’s great to see you too. Now can I please get some air to breath,” I just managed to say, and everyone laughed, just as Simon took a photo of us while standing on a chair for a better shot. Once I was released we all sat down and Finn brought over a cup of tea for me, which I happily accepted. “So, tell me, guys, this wasn’t just a special rescue plan, was it?” I asked my staff.

“Well, we don’t have any charters for over two weeks, so we thought we would fly up to help and sail back home with you,” Toby announced.

“I see. Well, I really appreciate the help with the media, but we may have a slight problem after we get to Exmouth. We have a research charter in just three days’ time, starting on Sunday at noon. Actually, come to think about it, we can use the multi-use room for a cabin for you four lads, if you don’t mind sharing, and Jasper can have the last crew cabin on this deck. It just means we will have an oversupply of crew, and two guests will have to share a cabin.

“I can’t tell you much about the charter itself, as it is a sensitive issue according to the Director of Oceans Institute of the UWA, who will be on the charter. So, until we know more, when they arrive on Sunday, we just have to sit back and relax,” I announced to the crew. The Canadian lads plus Toby and Alex gathered their luggage, and headed to the multi-use room to get settled. They returned about fifteen minutes later.

“There is a whole heap of research equipment in the room. What do you want us to do with it?” Toby asked me.

“Oh yeah, can you guys start returning it to the two research work rooms. There is some of it in the research offices as well. We had to make room for dry cargo to be stored in the two work rooms. That is why it was there,” I explained, and the 4 guys set off again to get started putting the work rooms back into operational order.

“We thought we would do some laundry while we are at sea. Do you have anything to be washed?” Lisa asked me.

“I do. Let me go and get ours plus the other senior crew laundry for you,” I said with a smile and I headed upstairs, with Mathew following.

Once the laundry was sorted, I headed to the bridge to repeat what I had said to the rest of the crew. I took over at the helm, to allow Jasper to gather his luggage and get settled into his assigned cabin, returning just fifteen minutes later to take over at the helm again. “I know it is a small cabin, but it is all I have available for you I’m sorry,” I said to Jasper.

“It’s fine, boss. I have my own cabin with bathroom. That is all I need,” Jasper replied with a smile.

Just over four hours later we were approaching the main wharf at Exmouth where I was happy to see two police vehicles there waiting as well as the truck and forklift ready to receive the last of the supplies.

 

October 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 47
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another fantastic chapter, looking forward to finding out what is so secretive about the Ocean Institute Charter that the Director himself is coming, I can’t see it giving them as much trouble as the cargo trip. Nice to see all the crew back together.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I see no good reason for Anton to have hung up on the manager of the company he is hauling freight for after he delivered his message. The company is his customer and the man he was speaking to wasn't responsible for his men talking to the media. After a rude call like that, I would have likely told the men to stay put also.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I agree with drpaladin that Anton should have talked to the manager of the company.  The company is the customer.  I know that Anton is leery of the press and the scandal that they might create.  He is taking a risk by delivering goods to break the trucker's strike.   I admire Anton and his crew for taking this action, since the unions often have unrealistic demands. 

Thanks for continuing with the Frontier stories.  They provide interesting and entertaining reading.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Glad to see Anton getting full support from his crews when he could use backup in this situation. Also good to see that he takes no argument when he lays out his rules.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I see no good reason for Anton to have hung up on the manager of the company he is hauling freight for after he delivered his message. The company is his customer and the man he was speaking to wasn't responsible for his men talking to the media. After a rude call like that, I would have likely told the men to stay put also.

 

B)..............My only concern now would be payment of services rendered, what are Anton's chances if they don't pay after the shipment is delivered? Not deliver?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
5 hours ago, Benji said:

 

B)..............My only concern now would be payment of services rendered, what are Anton's chances if they don't pay after the shipment is delivered? Not deliver?

 

There is a contract in place. It would be legally binding on both parties. Of course, Anton looked over the terms himself. No one else saw it and he didn't consult any legal service for their input. He has made some big mistakes in the past. They were delivering the last shipment of this trip at the end of the chapter. 

 

Neither we nor Anton knows what the staff members said to the media. They may not have told them anything at all. Anton merely assumed they were telling them everything they wanted to know. He never asked them what was said or gave them the opportunity to explain. No separate contract for carrying the two staff members was signed and the contract was only for freight. The addition of the staff members came afterward and was purely verbal. No mention was made of that little rule about being tossed off the ship being passed along. It should be noted that the staff members didn't have to obey all of Anton's edicts when they weren't on his ship. He didn't own them and they didn't work for him. If I  were the company, I'd cancel the ongoing contract. Why continue to deal with someone who seems so mercurial, dictatorial, and rude?

 

 

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree Anton should have been polite enough to talk to the manager of the logistics company. I also agree that the two men who work for the logistics company were under no obligation to Anton since they didn't work for him to follow the rule of not talking to the media. I wonder what it will mean for the rest of the contract for the delivery of goods between the rv beyond frontier and the logistics company after the call Anton made to the manager without giving him a way to respond to what he was informed of by Anton. I'm glad that Jasper and his crewmembers are aboard to help with the charter for the oceans institute. Although it will be a bit cramped quarters for the charter they'll work it out they always do. I'm curious why the oceans institute is saying that the details of the charter are so mysterious. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..