Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,666 Words
  • 2,201 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Journey - 12. DSJ Chapter 12

The main deck in the centre contains the majority of the recreation and workspace and using the shape of a scorpion, the head contains the administration centre, and video conference room, one end of a claw contain 12 large executive quarters with private bathrooms, plus living and dining area, while the other claw contains 18 Senior Staff accommodation with private bathrooms, and two lounge rooms, and the arms of each claw, contains a lot of the water and oxygen storage tanks, and general storage lockers.

The four legs on each side, contain a docking port for spacecraft, the two front ones on each side are for Earth spacecraft, while the two back ones on each side, are for the Republic spacecraft. These areas also contain more oxygen and water storage tanks. The main body of the space station, which is 180 metres long and 75 metres wide, contains a medical centre, the main control centre, containing communications, the docking control room and Environmental controls.

This level also has a gymnasium, dining room, galley and galley stores, a library, two study rooms, two lounge areas, a café, and a 30-seat cinema theatre. The five sections of the tail, each one being 46 metres long and 24 metres wide, contain the main accommodation cabins, with each section containing 12 cabins with shared bathrooms, between two cabins, while the large area of the tail sting, is one large recreation area.

Apart from the head and main body, and main accommodation section, the upper decks and lower decks, contain oxygen, water storage spaces, and small work maintenance spaces, equipment and supplies storage rooms. The lower deck of the main body, contains research laboratories, workrooms and offices, while the head contains the main power station, to keep the space station operating. The lower deck, below the main accommodation area, contains, large mantenance workshops and storage bays, while the claws contain two additional recreation lounges for staff.

The upper deck of the main body contains, accommodation for 32 permanent staff, each with their own private bathroom, as well as their own gymnasium, recreation room, two lounge rooms and a café and gallery. The upper level of the head contains the main security centre, a small detention centre, and a conference room, that will be used as a courtroom, for any disciplinary matters to be dealt with.

The area above the accommodation on the upper deck, contains a total of 20 emergency accommodation cabins, with shared bathrooms, while the upper level of the claws provides addition lounge rooms for the executive and senior staff.

Both Lucas and Quinn were very happy with the project to go ahead, and it was at that point, that the chancellor said he was pleased, as the three levels of all outer sections were almost completed, with just the three levels of the main body, head, claws and tail sting remaining to be built. This caught both Quinn and Lucas by surprise, and seeing the Chancellor smiling, they began to laugh softly.

“Sir, when Scorpion is completed, I would like to recommend that the graduates of the academy, be posted, to either Earth Base, Scorpion or remain at the academy on Mars as staff” Lucas stated, “I and the rest of the High Council think so too, we decided to hold off allowing any people from Earth to go near any of the Republics Colonies for the time being, so when it comes to graduation day, I will let you inform them, where their first posting will be” the Chancellor replied.

In total, the space station has regular accommodation for 60, plus executive accommodation for 12, and permanent staff accommodation for 50. The chancellor informed Lucas and Quinn that he would ask for applications from citizens of the Republic, who are single, that would like to live and work on the new space station, with only 32 junior and 18 senior, permanent positions available. He also mentioned that plans were already in place to expand staff accommodation at the Academy, to allow for 30 graduates to remain on Mars.

Once the Chancellor had left to return home to Ganymede, Lucas and Quinn spent some quality time with their families, as they settled into their new home on Mars. For the next two years, Quinn spent most of his time at the academy, with the occasional trips to the Republic capital and to Earth Base.

The embassy’s located on Earth had been running smoothly, with the occasional official protest from the Security Council of the United Nations, for not allowing access to the advanced technology and access to regular space travel.

When the Space Station Scorpion was completed and fully operational, with 50 permanent staff on board, each of the four URP embassies released and identical media statement, announcing the existence of the Space Station, which is orbiting the Earth’s moon, at a distance of 1000 km from the Moon’s Surface and 383,000 km’s from the International Space Station that is orbiting the Earth.

Two days after the media release, each embassy sent a registered mail letter to the Prime Ministers of Singapore and Canada, and the Chancellor of Switzerland and President of South Africa, inviting them and two Federal Ministers of their choice to attend a two day, overnight, high-level conference at Earth Base near New Zealand.

The invitation was extended to two security protection officers for each country, but no weapons of any kind are to be carried on their person or in their luggage. It was also requested that this conference be kept top secret, and out of the media, until their return from the conference, so as not to cause any issues with the United Nations. With just permanent staff on board, there is currently plenty of room to accommodate the guests from Earth, that would be arriving soon.

From Earth apart from the three dignitaries and two security staff from each country, all five Ambassadors from Earth, including Martin Lenegan, would also be attending, while all the members of the High Council, would be travelling all the way from Ganymede to attend this conference, which the Chancellor had been organising, with consultation with Quinn.

After two weeks of preparations and planning, which included quietly informing the Ambassadors, that they would actually be travelling to the new Space Station for the conference, the Star Voyager collected the 6 people from each country, having collected Martin at Earth Base first, and heading into space.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of the United Republic of Planets, I wish to welcome you onboard the Star Voyager, the same vessel that made the original deep space journey over ten years ago. We have decided to give you the experience of flying in space before we reach our destination for the conference, so sit back and enjoy the ride” the pilot said, who was actually Quinn, with Lucas as his co Pilot.

About ten minutes later Quinn came back onto the PA, “If you look out your Port, that is your left windows, you will see we are just passing the International Space Station, and further in the distance, you will see Earth” he said, knowing the new space travellers would be amazed at the sight. Allowing the new space travellers to soak in the sight, Quinn continued.

“The United Republic of Planets wishes to inform you that there has been a sudden change of venue, due to some mechanical issues at Earth Base, and in approximately 35 minutes time we will be arriving at the Republics newest venture, the Space Station Scorpion, we wish to advise you that in no way will you come to any harm while at the space station, which has a gravity level similar to Earth,” Quinn said, knowing that the new space travellers would be a little shocked and worried about the changes to the plans.

In the passenger compartment of the Star Voyager, Martin unbuckled his belt, and stood up, “Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Ambassador Martin Lenegan, I was the original project director for the deep space programme that sent this ship into space ten years ago. This is my third time into space, and I can assure you that it is perfectly safe, I have been to the Space training academy on Mars and to the Republics Capital on Ganymede, near Jupiter, and I am currently the Ambassador stationed at Earth Base near New Zealand.

Both times I have been in space, I have returned to Earth safely, the Pilot, who happens to be my son – Quinn, will get us to Space Station Scorpion safely, so I ask you to just relax, and enjoy the experience of being one of only a limited number of people of Earth who have been in Space. As you are probably aware, you currently have citizens from your countries who applied for and were accepted to attend the Space Research and Training Academy.

Those cadets completed their basic training in New Zealand, and they are now at the main academy campus located on Mars, over 54 million kilometres from here. They have completed two of their three years of training at the academy, and when they graduate, they will be posted to one of three locations owned and operated by the Republic.

During the conference, we will give you the opportunity to speak to some of your citizens, via video link, so you can check on their progress” Martin informed the passengers. There was some chatter amongst the passengers for a few moments, before Martin raised his hand to let them know he wanted to speak some more. “At five time bigger than the International Space Station, Space Station Scorpion is named because it resembles the shape of a scorpion, it has three levels, of which the main deck and parts of the lower deck are available for you to wander around, except areas that are posted Restricted Access. The upper deck is off-limits to all visitors” Martin explained, before sitting down.

Updated
Preston Wigglesworth October 2016 All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 25
  • Love 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter.  I think this conference will be interesting as we have no idea what they'll be talking about. The representatives from each country will be able to speak to the cadets that are from each country with an embassy to gauge the progress and also to see how they're doing. I can't wait for the next chapter so I can find out how the cadets will seem to the officials from their countries. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, seems a little heavy handed to just move the conference without notice; plus did the cadets resign their citizenship of their respective countries?  How can they be prevented from going back, nothing was indicated in the previous chapter that they would not be able to return, or if it was I missed it.  Good chapter, but a little heavy handed on the part of the URP.

Link to comment

I look forward to seeing the next chapters in the story.  With reference to the cadets, I think the majority would want to be posted with the URP somewhere.  To be part of an already successful and more advanced science and space community would be an honor for most, I would think.  One item I do not recall.  How many male and how many female cadets were there at the end of the selection process that went to Mars?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..