Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,656 Words
  • 3,524 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Journey - 4. DSJ Chapter 4

After some discussions, it was agreed to let the colony on Ganymede go ahead, and so the ships made their way to their new homes, each of them having carefully selected a suitable location. On Callisto, the Alpha, Beta and Gamma colonies are located approximately 15 kilometres apart in a triangle formation.

On Europa, the Alpha, Betta and Gamma colonies were also in a triangle formation but are only 9 kilometres apart while Ganymede Alpha was located on a plateau on the edge of a small mountain. The Perseverance decided to land on Ganymede near the Alpha colony so as to help coordinate the establishment of the 7 colonies from that point.

The transport shuttles were the ideal size to transport the council members to the Perseverance for their weekly council sessions. It was agreed to get the building work started at Ganymede first as it would be supplying the building materials. Each of the colonies would have a number of same additions added, namely a power plant to provide all the power supplies, also a hydroponics centre, to create all the food they will require, and a sports and recreation area for their community.

On Ganymede, this was going to be done by building a huge dome over and around the colony that will be 8 levels or 36 meters higher than the roof of the ship, and approximately 420 metres in diameter, making the dome just 60 metres from the front and rear of the ship, but a good 170 metres from each side.

These areas would be landscaped with lawn and gardens and turf sports fields, to provide a relaxing atmosphere to the colony. To overcome the harsh environment on the outside surface of the moon, the additional areas for power, hydroponics and other facilities would be constructed under the surface within the boundaries of the dome, except for a transport terminal which would be underground but away from the dome and will have a connecting tunnel to the colony.

The transport terminal will be mostly a large entry foyer leading from the connecting bridge with the transport ships. At the end of the bridge are an escalator and stairs down to the foyer, which has the customs & quarantine centre. This will be the main receiving point for any ships coming from or going to Earth. Beyond that is another foyer that has an administration centre for arranging transport, as well as the entry gate to the departure lounges for transport to the colonies.

The executive council decided that because the colony was creating a large community centre it would be the best location for the Capital of the Republic. Once the dome and the terminal are completed, four large columns 4 stories high, with views all over the colony gardens and a great high view of the world outside will be constructed on top of the main building, and that will have a one-level High Council Centre, containing the High council chamber, and the Chancellors administration offices.

Meanwhile, on Callisto and Europa, the colonies were also planning on building underground with linking tunnels, but they were not going to build a big dome-like Ganymede. But it was during the designing and planning of the undercover areas at Europa that discussions changed to incorporating the three communities to become one big community.

Having the three colonies combined as one would reduce the work for everyone, and the more they discussed it the more everyone liked the idea until it was decided that was the best thing to do So now two of the ships relocated to the site of the ship with the best location, with them being placed in a rectangle shape sixty metres apart, and they planned to build a raised roof between the three buildings to provide a sheltered open space like the capital for recreation and sporting activities.

When Callisto heard of the plans for Europa, two of the three communities wanted to do the same as Europa, but one of them didn’t. It was some time before they reached an acceptable compromise. The two communities would do a similar plan as Europa, while the third community had decided to travel to Ganymede and be part of the capital city, not directly linked to the city but only two kilometres away, so they were close enough to use the cities facilities.

After some planning and designing, they came up with a location on top of a mountain plateau, which is about 32 metres above ground level, just short of the total height of the city dome. The plateau covers an area about 8 times the area of the former ship, and two rectangular covered areas were built, one on each side of the community. One side was for sporting facilities and the other side for social and recreation space.

All of this work establishing the city and the other three communities took nearly a year to complete, and the executive council decided to hold off visiting Earth until all the construction work had been completed. By this time the executive council along with the Board of Directors of DSRES prepared a plan of action for when the Perseverance makes its first appearance on Earth.

It had been decided that they needed to set up some protocols with the New Zealand government for the arrival of the first-ever space ship from deep space. It was by chance that one of the directors of DSRES is old school friends with the New Zealand Governments Federal Minister of Defence and Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs, and he managed to arrange to have them over to his place for a weekend away.

Unknown to them, they were whisked away by private helicopter to the remote Island, late on a Friday afternoon. It was near the end of the flight when the director announced to his two old friends that he was a Director of an organisation known as DSRES. Both men recognised the abbreviated name, and that he was taking them to the DSRES base on an Island for a tour and information briefing.

On arrival at the base, they were greeted by a guard of honour, and the director introduced them to the other 4 directors before leading them into the base, where they were given a detailed tour of the facilities before they went to the dining hall for an evening meal. The visitors were shown to their guest quarters and informed they would be given a full briefing in the morning after breakfast.

After a good rest and a hearty breakfast, the guests were shown to a large conference room, which included a number of occupied computer desks and a large video screen. Once everyone was seated, that being the executive council of DSRES plus the two computer technicians and the two guests, Operations Director Lenegan stood up and introduced himself, and began by explaining that DSRES was a private corporation, established to fund, design and build a long-distance deep space vessel to travel into space to explore new worlds, and if possible meet people of new worlds.

Director Lenegan said to the guests that the corporation had exceeded this main goal, and achieved a lot more, thanks to the work of the crew members who were brave and skilled enough to take this challenge. As broadcasted over five years ago, about a year after the launch of the vessel, they had managed to visit many of the outer planets in their solar system and send back data from those exploration trips to the planets.

But as to be expected, there would be a long term of silence when the vessel went deeper into space. Over a year ago we had received our first call back from the crew of a new vessel, some of the original crew among them, but also crew members from the world that gave them sanctuary.

After a long journey, they rebuilt a large cargo vessel that they had come across and had salvaged, which is a more advanced vessel, and they were able to go even further out into space to explore more, before returning to this world known as Sahndrol, where they prepared to return trip to our solar system.

With a bigger ship and more crew plus a fleet of seven smaller ships, they have returned to our solar system, stopping to examine each planet and its moons in more detail, mapping them all, and collecting more detailed data. With the additional 6 vessels which each one is a separate community, they have searched out a new place to call home. Over the past eleven months, they have chosen a location and established 4 separate communities, each is of different size, with one been designed and built as the capital.

There is now a community of 628 people located on three moons of Jupiter, who are now citizens of the United Republic of Jupiter(URJ), and that the DSRES now comes under their jurisdiction, as the Earth Embassy. Director Lenegan stated that soon all but one of the 5 directors of the former DSRES will move to different locations around the world to establish Embassies of the URJ.

Those locations have not been finalised yet but would probably be Oceania, which will not be here on this Island, America’s - which will be located in Canada, Europe - which will be in Geneva, Africa - which will be in South Africa and Asia - which will be in Japan.

He continued on by saying that, because this Island was used as the base for the Corporation, it was decided to approach New Zealand first, to ask if they would be able to host the first ship from outer space. The Deep Space Vessel known as Perseverance, is at the capital of URJ, waiting for the planning of arrival to be sorted out. Then it will come, but only if welcomed.

Chapter Updated
Preston Wigglesworth October 2016 All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 24
  • Love 10
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. But is everyone on Earth as welcoming as NZ?  I can imagine some US and Global corporations/oligarchs that would not like any reduction or change in their status quo and particularly of their status.  Right off the top, America, China and Russia have been slighted by the location of the embassies of the URJ.  Those three I'm sure would want all the mineral wealth of those moons for themselves. Maybe they'll colonize Mars and the larger asteroids?  Does the Sahndrol technology have planetary defenses to ward off the stray meteorites hitting the moons?  Without much atmosphere, there's nothing to slow down a fast moving meteor, or other well-aimed piece of space debris.  More, more, more!!! please? 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I don't know what to make of it but it feels logically contrary that earth would be technologically able to explore nearby solar systems but not have the foresight to establish colonies in habitable moons of planets within the solar system. The author doesn't mention any earth colonies on the moons of Jupiter and that Qjiin's people are the first settlers. It also is quite hilarious that Qjiin is behaving very stealthily and sneaky, reminiscent of quokka's other  lead characters in Firestorm and Beyond Frontiers. If you were a criminal coming into an established mob area, it would be prudent and life preserving that you contact the mob boss and work out some sort of rapport, otherwise you would be considered hostile and dealt with. Wouldn't it have been more prudent if Qjiin traveled first to earth and presented himself to the world council to report on his travels and his on going plans to settle his people on Jupiter's moon. A diplomatic alliance between the UN of Earth and the USJ would have been struck and any suspicions allayed. Instead Qjiin is behaving like the rival mob encroaching on territories, setting himself and his people up for future conflicts with earth. Qjiin's initial expedition may have been privately funded but his return has global implications for earth. He could have snuck out of the solar system at the start of his expedition, but sneaking unannounced with an army of technological savvy settlers from a different solar system is quite a different matter altogether. Is Qjiin anticipating trouble with earth? If he didn't , then he may as well have by his actions. I. can see the ghost of past quokkas making mischief here LOL. I am not complaining or whining ...... Yet. Just trying to keep the author on his toes and to remind him that his readers care that his story turns out to be better than the rest in the GA universe. And before I forget,  very entertaining chapter. Don't mind whiny me here. 

Edited by back2basics
  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

We are four chapters into this story and have covered a long period of time. I'm not fond of the skip ahead practice. it represents missed opportunities and gives the impression, whether right or wrong, the author is simply going through the motions in writing the story.

 

We know little about these characters other than what we might glean from a news article. It's difficult to become invested in characters this way and to care what happens to them.

 

You have to wonder about people who travel a long distance from their own solar system only to stop near the outer edge of the new system to establish separated colonies. They come off more like a commune of space hermits rather than intrepid space explorers or pioneers. The planet they were living on seemed a pleasant place which causes the curiosity about why they left to live on barren moons far from any civilization.

 

I hate they didn't choose to colonize the moons of Uranus simply because I would have liked to hear the phrase repeated over and over as comic relief. I know this comment has been somewhat harsh, but my knives were sharp today. I did enjoy the chapter for what is there. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The moons that were chosen only because they only one anywhere clise to being able to establish colonies due to their environmental conditions

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, back2basics said:

I don't know what to make of it but it feels logically contrary that earth would be technologically able to explore nearby solar systems but not have the foresight to establish colonies in habitable moons of planets within the solar system. The author doesn't mention any earth colonies on the moons of Jupiter and that Qjiin's people are the first settlers.

 

Considering how short-sighted most governments have been so far, and using the United States as an example, we should have already had a colony on the moon by now, and be in the final planning stages of Martian colonies.  

8 hours ago, back2basics said:

 

It also is quite hilarious that Qjiin is behaving very stealthily and sneaky, reminiscent of quokka's other  lead characters in Firestorm and Beyond Frontiers. If you were a criminal coming into an established mob area, it would be prudent and life preserving that you contact the mob boss and work out some sort of rapport, otherwise you would be considered hostile and dealt with. Wouldn't it have been more prudent if Qjiin traveled first to earth and presented himself to the world council to report on his travels and his on going plans to settle his people on Jupiter's moon. A diplomatic alliance between the UN of Earth and the USJ would have been struck and any suspicions allayed. Instead Qjiin is behaving like the rival mob encroaching on territories, setting himself and his people up for future conflicts with earth.

 

Again, based on the dismal track record of Earth, Qjiin and his associates are doing the right thing.  Present possession is a strong point of favor of doing something.  Better for the explorers and colonists to be in place and ready to defend themselves, if need be.

 

8 hours ago, back2basics said:

 

Qjiin's initial expedition may have been privately funded but his return has global implications for earth. He could have snuck out of the solar system at the start of his expedition, but sneaking unannounced with an army of technological savvy settlers from a different solar system is quite a different matter altogether. Is Qjiin anticipating trouble with earth? If he didn't , then he may as well have by his actions. I. can see the ghost of past quokkas making mischief here LOL. I am not complaining or whining ...... Yet. Just trying to keep the author on his toes and to remind him that his readers care that his story turns out to be better than the rest in the GA universe. And before I forget,  very entertaining chapter. Don't mind whiny me here. 

 

Global implications indeed!  Yes, it may be that the colonies of the Moons of Jupiter can point the way for a new era of cooperation on earth.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, quokka said:

The moons that were chosen only because they only one anywhere clise to being able to establish colonies due to their environmental conditions

 

Europa, according to the satellite fly-bys, has a water-ice crust, which would make colonizing a challenge.  There may be a water ocean under that crust.  Generating too much heat could sink the colony, unless on some of the rocky outcroppings.
Saturn's moon Titan, even though having a methane atmosphere, has a solid crust.  A colony on Charon, moon of Pluto, would be  a cold place, but a slight possibility.  

(Add comment about Titan and Charon.)

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I did enjoy this chapter; but feel the breakneck speed of events is hampering the story somewhat.  I will give the benefit of the doubt to see if the reconnection with Earth will slow the pace of events down.  I do see issues arising from certain governments feeling that as in everything else that they should be in charge; and the way this is being executed will cut them out to a large degree.  I can see a firestorm brewing in the near future...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I agree that it seems like we don't know much about the characters and the time span leaves a lot of unanswered questions. I also agree that building the Colonies on the three moons of Jupiter that they can build the Colonies the way that's beneficial to them. Although I'm not to sure about the embassies around the earth and what their purpose will be. Will they be there to bring more harmony between the earth and the Colonies in space? I love the story and can't wait to read more about the adventures of the Preservation. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Once again I advise: slow down, Mate, you are trying to do in 3-4 chapters that which should stretch over twice as many. I say this, not because as a reader, I do not understand what you are saying, but you are trying to do a whole book in a limited number of chapters. It is interesting that people from other solar systems are setting up colonies on the moons of Earth planets, but that Earth has not yet established a colony on its own moon. We are creating an us-them situation which, knowing the insular psychology of Earthlings is fertile ground for conflict. Study the colonization of Brazil for example -- Portugal started it out but they felt they had to clean out several other European colonizers along the way, the Spanish, Dutch, English, and French for example. It is just not in human nature to accept competition for such a rare resource as habitable land!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

4 chapters without any character development at all. Pulling the eject lever now.....      Grand vision is interesting but would like to have had a character to relate with along the way.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..