Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,657 Words
  • 3,012 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Journey - 7. DSJ Chapter 7

Two weeks later, when the Star Voyager, delivered the five directors of Deep Space Research and Exploration Shuttle Project – DSRES Project of the United Republic of Jupiter (URJ) back to Earth Base, as it was being called now, the Administration of Earth Base, informed the Directors that they had received a number of messages from the NZ and Australian Foreign Ministers, regarding messages from the USA and the United Nations, with phone numbers to call.

Martin as the Operations Director said he would deal with this matter and have some discussions with the High Council, and he headed to his office, even though it was 5 am New Zealand time, but he was aware that it was 11 am in New York. “United Nations main switchboard, how may I direct your call,” an American voice said on the phone as the call was answered.

“Good Morning, my name is Director Martin Lenegan from the United Republic of Jupiter, I have been asked to speak to someone regarding our recent visit to New Zealand from Space” Martin responded, “Yes sir, I have been instructed to expect a call from you, hold please,” the lady said, and I heard some background music start, as I was put on hold, to be transferred.

“Hello this is the office of the Secretariat of the United Nations, am I speaking to Director Martin Lenagan?” a man with a European accent asked, “Yes, I am Director Lenegan, I am a member of the High Council of the United Republic of Jupiter” Martin replied. “Good, Sir it is the request of the Security Council and the Secretary-General, that official representative of your organisation attends a meeting with the United Nations, at the quickest possible time” the United Nations man said.

“Sir, we will do as you request, only after I receive a guarantee that our representatives will have safe passage to and from the United Nations” Martin replied, “Sir, I will get that guarantee for you, where do we send it too?” the United Nations man asked, “To the office of the Foreign Minister of New Zealand, via their UN ambassador” Martin replied, “Very well sir, bye for now,” the UN man said and the call ended.

Martin reported the telephone conversation to the High Council at the URJ, with Chancellor Dennison Chaney suggesting that Martin organise getting Diplomatic passports organised for all Ambassadors, and High council members. After the call to the Chancellor, Martin organised all the paperwork for Diplomatic Passports, including photographs of all the Ambassadors and High Council members, and a few days later he used the DSRES helicopter, to fly to Wellington, on the North Island of New Zealand, to meet with the Foreign Minister.

A fortnight later, once Quinn had arrived from URP, he and his father made the conventional journey to the USA, to meet with the United Nations, travelling to Los Angeles, via Honolulu, then onto New York, but the journey was cut short when they arrived in Honolulu when the USA passport control refused to recognise their Diplomatic Passports because it included the United Republic of Jupiter on the New Zealand passport.

“Sir, I suggest that you get a very senior passport officer, as this is not acceptable” Martin demanded, and a few minutes later another man arrived, “I am the Duty Supervising Officer here today, what is the problem,” the man said to Martin and Quinn, and this time it was Quinn who spoke up first, “Sir, we hold Diplomatic Passports, and we are on our way to New York to attend a meeting at the United Nations, we are being refused continued travel because our passports are not recognisable,” Quinn said to the Duty Officer.

“Gentlemen, may I suggest that we move to an interview room, so we can try and sort this problem out,” the Duty Officer said to Martin and Quinn, who agreed and followed them to an interview room. While walking to the room, Quinn activated his mobile voice recorder, and kept it out of sight of the officers, as we sat down in the room.

“We are on Diplomatic passports from the United Republic of Jupiter via New Zealand, on our way to the United Nations to attend a meeting that they requested, we have guaranteed unrestricted passage to the United Nations, and request that we are allowed to continue our journey,” Martin said to the two officers. “I suggest that you contact the office of the Secretariat of the United Nations, and the New Zealand Embassy to confirm our journey” Quinn added, “We will make our own enquiries, and let you know,” the duty officer said and they left the room.

“Dad, I don’t like the sounds of this, and I suggest that we make our own arrangements to get to the United Nations, or head back to New Zealand,” Quinn said once they were alone, “I agree with you son, will you make to call to Star Voyager, to come and collect us” Martin replied, handing over his mobile in the process, knowing that Quinn had his phone recording everything.

The call to the Star Voyager was completed before the officers returned, knowing that it was now on its way, and would be arriving in just over an hours’ time, Martin and Quinn knew they just had to wait till it arrived. “Right, we have done some looking at your passports, and we do not recognise it as an official passport document, and as such, your visa to enter the USA is being cancelled, and you will be placed on the next flight back to New Zealand in just over two hours’ time” the Duty Officer announced to us.

“Did you bother to contact the UN or the NZ embassy?” Martin asked, “We don’t need to sir, as the passports are not valid, and we will be holding onto them, you will remain here until it is time to check-in for your flight back to Auckland” the Duty Officer stated.

“I wish to remind you that you are illegally detaining us, and once again I suggest that you contact the UN and the NZ Embassy,” Martin said clearly. When we were left in the room with our luggage to wait for the Star Voyager to arrive, or in their case for the flight back to New Zealand, we just sat and chatted, to let the time pass by, and 45 minutes later, Martin’s mobile rang.

“Ambassador Martin Lenegan speaking,” Martin said, as he put the call on loudspeaker for Quinn to listen in, “Your Excellency, this is Commander Kuhn of the Star Voyager, we are very close to arriving at Honolulu, and we will be entering USA airspace in a few moments,” the caller said.

“Very well, have you spoken to Air Traffic Control to warn them of your arrival,” Martin asked, “Yes sir, it took a bit of convincing before they accepted what we were saying, once they realised how fast we are going” the commander replied, and Quinn chuckled when he heard this, “Ok see you shortly, goodbye,” Martin said and he ended the call, just as the two Passport control officers arrived.

“We will be transferring you to the passenger departure lounge, so you can be ready to board your flight back to New Zealand” the Duty officer informed Martin and Quinn, “Did you bother to contact the UN or NZ Embassy?” Quinn asked the two men once again, “No sir, as we said before, there is no need to, as you are being deported back to New Zealand” the Duty Officer responded.

“Well sir, I suggest that you keep an eye on the tarmac, as there will be a surprise arrival in a few minutes time” Martin replied with a huge smile, and right on cue, we could hear a commotion happening outside, and the two men dashed out of the room, and we followed them at a distance.

When they were in view of the tarmac, and saw a giant space ship land on the tarmac, in front of the terminal, they turned to face us. “That gentleman is our own transport to get to the United Nations, so I suggest that you return our Diplomatic Passports and escort us out to our ship before you cause more of a Diplomatic incident” Quinn stated to the two shocked men. “Yes, your Excellencies, right away sir’s” the Duty officer replied, realising the huge mistake that he had made in ignoring their suggestions.

As they exited the terminal building, Martin and Quinn stopped, “Please state your names, and identification numbers” Martin said to the two men, who complied with the request, “Thankyou Gentlemen, you will be hearing some more about this incident, good day to you both” Quinn said and they walked towards the Star Voyager, leaving the two shocked men standing near the terminal door.

Once inside, the Star Voyager took off and headed straight up, till they were just on the edge of entering space, then headed south back towards New Zealand, as Quinn decided that they had wasted enough time with the USA and UN and decided to deal with them via video link and emails.

Once they had arrived back at Earth Base, near New Zealand, Martin and Quinn headed straight to the Executive conference room, to talk to the Chancellor about what had happened at Honolulu. “Martin, as the Earth Base Ambassador, I will leave it up to you to decide what to do about future communications with the UN, but it is my recommendation, that we deal with that lot with caution, and through long distance Diplomatic communications only.

I don’t want anyone within the URJ to be put in any harm of any kind” Dennison Chaney said, “Very well sir, that is what we will do from now on, thank you for your time, Earth Base over and out” Martin said and the communication ended.

Updated
Preston Wigglesworth October 2016 All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 25
  • Love 8
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

too much what? drpaladin

you need to explain your statement a bit more?

 

Edited by quokka
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Enjoyed this chapter as well, I found it just right...  LOL.  This is what I would expect from any of our current idiots in power in Washington.  On top of that the bureaucracy of any governmental agency just cannot be bulldozed through.  Even something that everyone in the world would be aware of by this time, would come as a shock to those inside the governmental bureaucracy, especially in the United States.  No other country in the free world has as many levels of pure stupidity and redundancy as the United States government. 

 

I still remember the deaths of those in the first chapter before this adventure even began; as we never got an answer, I still wonder if they were truly accidental or if that was the opening attempt at sabotage by the " others ".

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well done, sir!  The actions by customs in Honolulu were very tempered.  I'm surprised that the US authorities did not have a military presence to take the URJ representatives into custody. The idiots trying to claim that their 'passports were not valid,' should have known that safe passage was being guaranteed by the NZ gov't. I'm also surprised that their route to NYC was not confirmed with a guarantee that there would be no incidents to mar the trip.  These events foreshadow some other not-so-nice events to come.  Maybe instead of meeting at a place on earth, the URJ can invite the UN members into space for a truly 'out-of-this-world' experience?

Edited by skyacer
  • Like 2
Link to comment

So now the cat is out of the bag, Qjiin may have felt nostalgic about returning to Earth but he is now leader of a nation and as such he needs to make cautious decisions, be strategic in fact. His attendance is requested by the UN council in New York. What I find a little bonkers is the way he decided to travel to New York. He could have taken a shuttle and landed without any issues on UN grounds. Why did he take the long route, HNL-LA-NYC. Being a cautious planner, did he not anticipate issues traveling this way given the fact that he and his entourage are using never seen before travel and diplomatic documents. Given the high number of stupid, badly trained and plain arrogant employees of the DHS, did Qjiin really expect to hop thru airports and security checks without a hitch. So he and his are detained by some dimwit airport security, Qjiin almost seems amused and delighted to summon a big ass spaceship and scare the bejesus out of everyone as the sure-to-shock-and-awe  space monster whisks them away to New York. If I was rooting for the new and improved Qjiin, I'd say, yeah let's kick their asses every chance we get. Strangely, I don't know exactly who to root for. Knowing how stupid and arrogant governments tend to behave, it's natural I should root for our returnees. But learning things about Qjiin, I find it hard to see him as a hero's herald either. It's like watching a Hillary-Trump get to know each other party. Chuckles. That said, intrigue is indeed the stuff of great stories and DSJ is no exception. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

This action by Homeland Security in the US is so typical of US bureaucracy. My partner, Jose, a citizen of a 'friendly' country. Portugal was denied admittance to the US on the basis that he had entered and departed from the US, 'too many times'. Fortunately, since that time, he has been able to enter and depart several times from Brazil, but if he is unable to book a direct flight from Portugal to Sao Paulo, Brazil for some reason, he has had to fly into Canada as he is now on a 'no-fly' list for the US. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..