Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 719 Words
  • 1,824 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Settlement - 10. DSS Chapter 10

Later that afternoon, the Air Commodore received a message from its Embassy in New York. “US has given a written guarantee that it will not interfere with Canadian Airforce base on Durham Island, in the North Atlantic, and will remain out of the exclusion zone. Please ensure that the US aircraft and its crew are safely returned to their home country”.

Fifteen minutes later, with the US fighter jet fully fuelled, the two US pilots were escorted to their aircraft, minus their sidearms, which were confiscated, and watched them start-up and taxi to the runway and take-off, heading directly South West, no doubt to the waiting Aircraft Carrier.

In addition to the building material for the Airport Terminal, there was also material to build an additional 6 more bungalows, with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, and 2 more officer’s bungalows with 2 bedrooms and one bathroom, to allow for a small increase of Airforce personnel on the island, of which the Canadian Airforce had been notified of the increase of accommodation available.

By the time the Airport terminal and the extra bungalows had been built, there have been no more incidences, with the US Airforce or Navy, and so just the one Navy Patrol boat remained in the area, to do regular patrols.

A week after that the next group of Airforce personnel arrived on the island, to take up their new posting on the island, just as work was beginning to build the Earth Base on Horseshoe Island.

With everything that had been happening with the islands and the US defence playing games, Lucas had not had time to work on the next big project, once the Earth Base has been relocated, and that was in regards to the relocation of the UN Headquarters proposal, that he asked the 4 Commonwealth nations to present to the UN General Assembly.

Lucas had gained a nice tan, from all the time he was spending on the islands in the North Pacific, and he was enjoying spending time on the islands, even though it has had its problems of late, but now with the Earth Base being relocated, he was looking forward to spending more time there, when he is not needed to fly back to the academy on Mars, or to Ganymede.

Taking just three short weeks, the new Earth Base on Horseshoe Island was now completed, along with the additional accommodation for the Sahndrol staff to be based at the new Earth Base, which has room for a large cargo shuttle plus 4 mini shuttles, for short-distance travel around Earth.

Just a week earlier, Lucas had received news from the United Nations, that the proposal to relocate the United Nations to a more neutral location, had been received and was under consideration by all the members of the General Assembly, with a request for other alternative locations apart from Bermuda.

Lucas wrote a submission to the United Nations, suggesting Sahndrol Island in the North Atlantic, as a more neutral and central location, with the distance from New York and Montreal, being between 1750 and 1900 km’s West and South West from the islands.

With Bermuda Island being 1150 km’s South West of the Islands, Ponta Delgada, the capital of the Azores Islands being 2130 kms East of the Islands, and Ponta Delgada being 2500 kilometres South West of Heathrow, London as an ideal midway stop-over.

Lucas also had another location in mind, and that was the Cocos Keeling Islands, in the Indian Ocean, a Territory of Australia, as it is more central to all countries, with Diego Garcia as another possible location.

Once Lucas had sent the email to the Secretary-General of the UN, Lucas headed over to the Airforce base, for his weekly meeting with the Air Commodore, to discuss any issues, and also to inform him of the possibility of the UN moving to the Sahndrol Islands.

When Lucas told the Air Commodore the plans for the UN to move to the islands, he nearly choked on the coffee that he was drinking, spraying coffee all over his desk, and just missing Lucas. After a bit more of a discussion on other matters, Lucas left the Air Commodore to think about the proposal and discuss it with his superiors, to see their response on the idea.

Updated
Copyright October 2018 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 18
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It looks like the United States has finally got the message that their planes or ships would not get away with the attempts to get past the 200 mile barrier. Lucas has been busy getting not only the airport terminal and the other bungalows built for the Canadian Airforce also the new earth base that has room for a large shuttle and 4 small shuttles along with the other buildings that were needed for the personnel that were required for the operation of the earth base. The United Nations has asked for other possible locations for the new United Nations location which Lucas sent now it’s a waiting game for the United Nations to decide where they want the new facility built. I love the story so far and am looking forward to reading more about Lucas and the United Nations decision as to where they want to build the new location. Thanks for the great story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Dealing with any quasi governmental agency with that many members is never going to be easy.  While moving would made sense on so many levels for the UN, choosing where to move is an issue that could be more time consuming than you can imagine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..