Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,357 Words
  • 3,288 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Firestorm - 33. FS Chapter 33

“Sure mate, my family is arriving from Vancouver this afternoon, so I have to help get them settled into our temporary accommodation at the motel, how about we meet at the Dan’s Pub, which is just across the road from the motel” I replied, “Perfect, that is our adopted local, let’s say 6pm, for a beer and a chat?” Les said, “I don’t drink beer, but a chat would be good, I will see you at 6pm, bye for now” I said happily.

After lunch, I did a quick clean-up of the family suite, before heading to the airport, arriving just before 2pm, and I sat in the arrivals lounge and waited for the plane to arrive, which landed twenty minutes later. As soon as Tom saw me, he rushed towards me and gave me a big hug, “Hi dad, I have missed you” Tom said to me, “I missed you too buddy, and you are getting a little too old for hugs now” I replied, and I saw Tom look shocked and sad.

“But dad, I like getting hugs from you and mum, and Simeon too” Tom replied, “Ok buddy that is fine, just not in public, ok” I responded, holding out my hand, which Tom shook, “that is a deal” Tom said with a big smile, as Angela arrived, “Go and get the rest of the luggage will you please Tom, while I say hello to my husband” Angela said with a big smile, as she leaned forward and gave me a big kiss, while holding Simeon, who leaned out and grabbed me around the neck, so Angela let go as soon as I had hold of him.

“Hello son, my word, how big you are getting” I said to Simeon, before planting a raspberry on his cheek, which made him laugh, and suddenly, “Dadda” was said by Simeon. “That is his first word” Angela announced, and I pointed to Angela, “Mama” I said, repeating it a few times, but he kept looking at me and saying Dadda. “It’s ok love, it will come eventually” Angela said to me, as we climbed into the vehicle, and I secured Simeon into his capsule, that was now nearly too small for him.

Once I had loaded the portable cot, and four suitcases into the trailer, we set off back into town, and as I drove, I let Angela know about the phone call to Les, and the meeting tonight, to meet the other 4 Australian men. “There are other Australian’s in this town dad?” Tom asked, “Yes son, I am meeting the men this evening, then maybe we can meet the families this weekend, oh and you start school on Tuesday” I replied.

Ten minutes later I turned into the motel carpark area, “It’s only temporary, but it is nice and comfortable, and the boys have their own bathroom and bedroom” I announced as we pulled up outside our suite. Once we had the porta cot set up, Simeon was put down for a sleep, while the rest of the family moved the luggage into the suite, and began unpacking, and when finished, we sat down in the lounge room, for a rest.

“Tom, we will need to find your laptop computer, so you are ready for school on Tuesday, also tomorrow, we will need to go to the school, so you can have a look around, and meet some of the staff, and get any text books that you may need. You are nearly two months behind the rest of the students, as the school year starts in early September, so you will have to work hard to catch up” I said to Tom, “that’s fine Dad, that shouldn’t be a problem” Tom replied confidently.

Later in the day, after helping to bath and feed Simeon, I set off across the road to meet with the other Australian men in town, and on entering the pub, I found the only group of men seated around a table, and I approached them. “Err, Len?” I said as I approached, “Yes, that’s me” one of the men said as he stood and stuck out his hand, “I am Mitchell Benning, from Perth, WA” I replied, as I shook his hand.

“G’day mate, I am from Newcastle, NSW, Glen here is from South Hedland, Jim is from Tennant Creek, and Mike is from Townsville” Len said, as I was invited to sit. I explained that I had married an older woman, who I stumbled across on the Bibbulmun Track in WA, she and her son Tom, had been trekking around remote areas of Australia to avoid being found by her ex-boyfriend, who turns out to be linked with a bikie gang” I explained.

“You have any other kids?” Jim asked, “Yes Angela and I have a 12-month old son Simeon, Tom is 13 now, and we have just spent the past two years in the UK on exchange, leaving home a few weeks after Angela and I were married” I replied, “So, how the hell did you get such high-profile action so quickly/” Glen asked, “That was easy, in the years I have been in the army, my skills and talents have come to the attention of a few senior officers, resulting in me getting additional specialist training.

Officially, I am attached to Special Operations Command, with Brigadier Murdoch in command, anyone who crosses me will be in trouble, if the Brigadier doesn’t fix it, I will, I am the current holder of the Australian Sniper record” I replied with a little smile, which brought laughter from the other men. “Careful what you say, I am a sergeant in the New South Wales Police Force” Len said to me, and the others chuckled at this. “I am a sergeant, but in the Army like yourself, tell me, did you have anything to do with that incident at the Bindoon Training facility a few years ago?” Mike said to me.

“Yes, I had a small part in that, but most of it is classified, so I can’t discuss it” I replied with a little smile, “That’s not what I heard, I have a few contacts too, and I remember now, gentlemen, we are in the company of one of Australia’s most gifted and skilled Army Warrant Officers” Mike announced. “Nah not really, I just have a little luck with advancement that’s all” I replied, “I read an Army bulletin recently, that Warrant Officer Benning here, recently was awarded the Conspicuous Service Medal, and that he has a string of other awards” Mike announced, and I blushed a little, “I had no choice really, they just keep on handing them to me, plus the occasional rapid promotion” I replied.

“Ok, so what is going to happen with our situation, our families are stuck living in a very basic apartment, and we would be happy if we could get better accommodation” Jim asked, “Well, the Brigadier told me to leave it to him, and he will get it sorted, I was offered a two bedroom apartment, but when I saw it, I refused to accept it, so I checked into the motel, and contacted the Brig, and sent him the video clip I took when I was shown the apartment” I replied.

“So, you know what the conditions are like in our homes, I hope your CO can do something for us” Mike said, “We just have to wait and see” I responded, just as my mobile rang, and looking at the caller ID I smiled, as I answered it on loud speaker, “Good evening Sir, you are loud speaker with four other Australian’s here in Fort Nelson” I announced, “Hello Warrant Officer Benning, and hello to your Aussie mates, I have some news” the Brigadier said.

“Yes Sir, we saw a news report last night our time, that announced a diplomatic incident in Fort Nelson, British Columbia, involving five Australian men on exchange programmes, this is Sergeant Mike Grassmere from 9th Battalion, 9RQR, 11th Brigade, Lavarack Base, Townsville” Mike replied. “Well after some discussions with our Foreign minister, she summoned the Canadian Ambassador and me to Canberra, and she gave the ambassador a right royal ticking off.

What I understand is that the Canadian Ambassador will look into the matter, and get some action taken as soon as possible, so keep me updated on progress, and I will follow up if need be” the Brigadier said to us, “Thankyou sir, that is very much appreciated, bye for now” I said and we ended the call. After a few moments of silence, with everyone absorbing the news, it was Les who broke the silence, “Wow, that is incredible” he said.

“We agreed to meet again in a few days’ time, and we returned to our homes, where Angela was dishing out takeaway dinner for the three of us, with Simeon sleeping. I told Angela and Tom about the phone call we had while chatting in the pub, and that we will have to wait and see what happens, so we would be staying at the motel for now.

The next day was a busy day, getting Tom organised for school, with looking around the school, getting books and uniforms, and we also went shopping to get him some more warmer clothing, as the temperatures were a lot lower than expected, and we had a nice lunch out as father and son, which was great. By the time we got back to the motel, Angela was feeding Simeon, and watching a little bit of television.

The following day, with it being a Saturday, we all slept in, and had a late breakfast together at the nearby gourmet girl cafe, which was a nice change, until suddenly six Royal Mounted Police officers came charging in, and quickly searched the whole café, before one ducked outside again, returning with two men in suits, who approached our table. “Warrant Officer Mitchell Benning?” I was asked by one of the men, “Yes sir, that is me, who may I ask am I speaking with” I replied.

“I am Jean-Claude Lesufi, Canadian Federal Minister of Foreign Affairs” the lead man said, “Well that explains the goon squad, how may I help you sir? Oh, this is my wife Angela, and my son’s Tom and Simeon” I replied, making the introductions, “Nice to meet you all, Mr Benning. I’ve had a talk with our ambassador in Australia, who informs me that he got a right royal telling off by a Brigadier of the Army, and the Australian Foreign Minister, in regard to accommodation standards for Australian exchange personnel” the federal minister said to me.

I pulled out my phone and found the video clip of the apartment block, and handed it to the minister, “This sir, is the accommodation that was offered to me the other day, when I arrived in Fort Nelson, four other Australian families are currently living in similar conditions in the same building, I elected to deny the offer, and my family and I are staying in a nearby motel, till this is resolved” I said, and waited while he viewed the ten-minute video clip.

“What gives you the right to cause this diplomatic incident, between us and the Australian Government” the minister snapped at me, as he threw the phone back to me, which I easily caught and put away, before standing up to face the minister, “Sir, although I only hold the rank of Warrant Officer, I am assigned to Special Operations Command, I am the current holder of the Australian Sniper record, I have qualifications in High altitude parachuting, have participated in a classified operation with the Special Air Service, and I have the Royal award of OM, Army awards of CV, SG, DSC, CSC, CSM, and the Australian Fire Service Medal, so I have the full backing of the Australian Army with this matter” I snapped back.

There was some silence, I guess being shocked at how I spoke back to the minister. “Come on dear, something smells around here and it is not Simeon’s nappy” I said, as I pulled Simeon out of his highchair, and we walked out of the café, and walked back to the motel. “Bloody politicians” I grumbled, as I broke the silence, as we walked, and I saw Angela frown at me, “Sorry dear, it just gets me really pissed off that politicians think they can get away with as little action as possible” I said to Angela.

Not long after arriving back at the motel, my phone rang, and the caller ID was the Brigadier, “Oh, I am in trouble, the boss as heard already” I commented, as I pressed the accept button. “Warrant Officer Benning, it is not in your best interest to verbally abuse a Canadian minister of the crown” the Brigadier said.

“I am sorry sir, but he was trying to dismiss our complaints, even after viewing the video clip, and throwing my phone back to me, so I just commented that something smells and that it wasn’t my son’s nappy” I replied, and I heard the Brigadier laugh. “So that is what you said was it, shame you didn’t get Cadet Parker Benning to step in on the matter, then the matter would have been a lot less damaging” the Brigadier suggested, and I laughed at that comment.

“I didn’t realise you were aware of that incident at Catterick” I stated, “Yes, I hear everything, leave it with me and I will smooth things over, bye” the brigadier said and he ended the call. Once the call ended, I turned to face Tom, “That was the Brigadier, and he knows about your incident with the Colonel at Catterick” I said, “Oh, that is not good, am I in trouble again?” Tom asked looking a little scared, and I chuckled a little.

“Relax son, the Brig suggested that you should have stepped in at the café, instead of me, and there would be a lot less political damage” I said and I saw Angela smile broadly, “That’s my boy” she said proudly. I pulled out my phone and called Les, “Hey mate, just wanted to let you know that we have had a very high level visit this morning, while my family were having breakfast at Gourmet Girl Café” I said when he answered the call, “I have Mike with me, hang on let me put it on speaker, ok go ahead” Les said.

“We had a heap of federal goons, followed by the Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs, and he was trying to dismiss our complaints, even after I showed the minister the video clip, and he threw my phone back at me. I sort of verbally abused him, commenting that something smells and it wasn’t my son’s nappy” I said, and I heard both men laughing on the other end of the phone. “The Brig wasn’t too happy at first, but he said he will try and sort it out” I informed Les and Mike.

About two hours later, my phone rang again, with a blocked number, “Warrant Officer Benning, do you know who this is?” I heard the Australian accent caller said, “Yes ma’am I think I do, I was not expecting to be speaking to you” I replied, knowing I was speaking to the Australian foreign minister. “I have spoken to Brigadier Murdoch a couple of times, as well as to Brigadier Lachlan in Townsville, and I have seen the video clip that you sent to Brigadier Murdoch.

I agree with both of them, that the standard of accommodation is not acceptable for Australian families on exchange, and we will be reviewing Exchange agreements with all countries, that we have an exchange programme with. I have recommended that all five families return to Australia, and we will cover all travel and freight costs, that will be forwarded to the Canadian Government, will you let the other four families know of my recommendation, and let Brigadier Murdoch of your joint decision” the minister said.

“Yes ma’am, I will do that, thank you for your assistance with this matter” I responded, “No problems Mitchell, and my regards to your family, goodbye” the minister said before ending the call. “Wow” I said after a few moments, “Who was that dear?” Angela asked, “That my darling Angela, was our own Foreign Minister calling from Australia, she has recommended that all five families return to Australia, until a full review is done, with the Australian government covering all costs” I replied.

“Wow indeed, so I guess you better call an Aussie family conference” Angela said to me, and I smiled as I picked up my phone and called Les, “Hey mate, we need to get all five Australian families for a special meeting, some things have developed that needs all the members input” I said as soon as he answered the call. “Oh, ok how about 6pm for dinner at the pub” Les suggested, “ok, see you and the other families then” I replied.

Later that day, after Simeon had an early nap, so he would be wide awake for the trip to the pub, we drove over to the pub, as it was too cold to walk over, arriving about 5.45pm, so the boys could have an early dinner, and we had ordered their dinner just as the others arrived, and introductions where made all around, with 10 adults and 9 children. Once the adults had ordered dinners for the children, and we all had drinks, the adults al looked too me.

“Put on the spot a bit here” I said and the adults laughed briefly on this, “Today, I had a totally unexpected call, she informed me that she had spoken to Brigadiers Murdoch and Lachlan, and she had seen the video clip, and her recommendation was that we all return to Australia, until a review has been done regarding exchange accommodation” I added. “Ok, so are you going to tell us who this lady is?” Glen’s wife asked.

“I know who it is, I have met her once in Townsville, the honourable Ms Jane Banks MP, Foreign Affairs Minister of Australia” Mike replied, and I nodded my head that he was correct, with a big smile. “Wow, now that is big” Jim added, “So I guess we have to decide if we stay and put up with the terrible living conditions, until it is fixed, or we pack up and head home to Australia” Les said, “Yes and that is why I felt it was important that your wives be included in this decision” I said.

“I must say, after what we lived in Catterick in the UK for two years, the apartments you guys are living in here, are ten times worst, and I am supportive of my husband, if he wants to go home to Perth” Angela said, speaking up for the first time. “I feel the same way dear, after three months in that hell hole, I have had enough of it already” Mike’s wife added, and the other three wives agreed.

“As much as this had been an interesting experience work wise, I agree with my wife, I have had enough too” Mike added, “So, everyone is in agreement then, do we get our transport and freight organised, and all leave on mass, with no warning, to get the message across to the Local Municipality council, or do we give them some warning” Jim asked, and after some discussion, it was agreed to just pack up and leave with no warning.

“Once the decision had been made, I dialled a number and put it on loud speaker, and just as the Brigadier answered Simeon shouted Dadda, which made everyone laugh” Sorry about that sir, that was my youngest son, you are on loud speaker to all five Australian families, and as a group we have made a decision, after the Ministers recommendation was discussed” I said to the Brigadier. “Go ahead Warrant Officer, I am listening” he replied, and I pointed to Mike.

Copyright July 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Reserved
  • Like 29
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another fantastic chapter, nice to see Mitch standing up to himself and his fellow Australians.Nice to see him taking no shit from the foreign minister.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Good return chapter for Firestorm. Mitch created his own firestorm in the cold Northwest. It will be a big shock when all five families leave so suddenly. The bill for all those expenses will be a shock too. Rightfully it should be the ones responsible at the local level to pay it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What is Mitch''s problem with hugs from his son in public? You're never too old to hug your dad, whether in public or private. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I was surprised at Mitch's reaction when Tom hugged him.  No child is ever too young to hug his father - anytime and anywhere.  I have two grandson's aged 16 and 18 and they give me hugs all the time.  It's an expression of love and nothing wrong should be placed on it.  Kid's need to know they are loved and at aged 13 Tom is no exception.  Hugs are one of the best ways to show you love a child.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

  Typical of Quoka's writing style to show very little love or closeness. I see hugs at the airport all the time. Never too old for a hug.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think Mitch, his family and the other Australian service men and their families have the right idea that they all pack up and leave enmass. Mitch received a call from the Foreign Affairs Minister of Australia who advised him that he, his family and the other four service men and their families should pack up and head back to Australia and that all transport and freight costs will be covered by Australia. After Mitch told Angela about his call he called Les and arranged a meeting with all 5 of the families to discuss the details of the call and to get their take on the details of the call. Mitch called Brigadier Murdoch to let him know what was decided and all the families were there when Mitch told the Brigadier of the plans for all of them to leave enmass. I'm glad that Mitch did what he did by refusing the apartment that was being offered to him and his family. I liked the way Mitch said that something stinks and it isn't Simeon's nappy to the Canadian Foreign Minister, which caused a few ruffled feathers. Great job on the story I can't wait to see what happens next for the Australians as they prepare to leave and head home. 

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Terry P said:

I was surprised at Mitch's reaction when Tom hugged him.  No child is ever too young to hug his father - anytime and anywhere.  I have two grandson's aged 16 and 18 and they give me hugs all the time.  It's an expression of love and nothing wrong should be placed on it.  Kid's need to know they are loved and at aged 13 Tom is no exception.  Hugs are one of the best ways to show you love a child.

 

B)............ Could Mitch be projecting his own fears upon young Tom? Still the reason Mitch had to leave his hometown was never addressed.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Benji said:

 

B)............ Could Mitch be projecting his own fears upon young Tom? Still the reason Mitch had to leave his hometown was never addressed.

 

4 hours ago, Benji said:

 

B)............ Could Mitch be projecting his own fears upon young Tom? Still the reason Mitch had to leave his hometown was never addressed.

You may have a point there Benji.  I guess if it's something significant we'll have more information about that in the future.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..