Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,370 Words
  • 3,229 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Firestorm - 36. FS Chapter 36

My training and skills are here to assist our town as best as possible, I am sure that my mum, dad, my wife, stepson, and our two young children would fully agree with me” I said with a little smile, and suddenly everything went quiet within the shed. “Did you say wife and children?” the shire president asked me a little shocked, “Yes, I did, and you can ask my parents for confirmation on this, as they were present at the wedding in Perth, just over two years ago” I replied.

“Right, now listen up, Warrant Officer Banning here, has the professional Army and Fire fighting training to deal with situations like this, so as Shire President, I am requesting all volunteers here to listen to him, as he is the Fire controller, until FESA arrives” the shire president announced. There were a few moments of silence, till Dave spoke up, “I don’t believe him, I am not working under his orders, so you can either get the fire chief to take over or I am walking” he announced.

The shire president’s mobile rang, and he stepped away to answer it, while Dave and a few others continued to glare at me, until the shire president returned, “Right, that was FESA HQ, it is official, Warrant Officer Banning here is the official Fire Controller, so we are to take orders from him” he announced to all gathered which had doubled in size since the first group arrived.

Immediately after this was announced Dave and four others walked away, including the local council fire chief, “We are behind you Mitch, just tell us what to do?” another former class mate of mine said, and many around him nodded their heads in agreement. “Right, men call your wives, mums and girlfriends, we need them to get the word out to everyone to pack up and prepare to evacuate south to either Toodyay or Northam, with these strong south- easterly winds, we are in for one big firestorm” I replied.

As soon as everyone was dialling numbers on their mobiles, I looked around in the shed, the trucks were good, but we needed more, “Sir, we need to call all the farmers in the region, especially east of us, get their farm fire units filled up and heading to the fire, and can you call your colleagues at the Toodyay and Northam councils to organise evacuation centres, let’s use UHF channel twenty for this fire emergency, right let’s get moving, before this fire gets too big” I said, as I jumped into my army jeep, and I dialled my parent’s home number.

“Mum and Dad, I have been put in charge of this fire, pack what you can, and head for Northam, an evacuation centre will be set up there fairly soon” I said to my parents, “Ok dear, you take care, and don’t take too many risks” Mum said and she hung up the phone. I picked up the VHF radio in the jeep, “Fire controller to Army fire truck one and two, over” I called, “receiving you Warrant Officer, we are approximately twenty minutes away from your home town over” came a response, “Copy that continue east on the Bolgart east road, I will be onsite, over” I replied, “Roger that sir, over and out”.

About ten kilometres east of town, I turned right on Clark Road, now heading south, as I could see that the fire was south east of my current location, and I picked up the UHF radio, Fire Controller to Fire fighters, turn right onto Clark road” I said, and I repeated the message to the army trucks. Five kilometres later I turned left, onto Rowles Road, and I passed on the information via radio again, as I was heading east again.

Five kilometres later I turned right again and passed on the information via radio. “Joe Parkes to Fire Controller, the fire is on my property about 18 kilometres east of your current location, just 4 kilometres west of the town of Goomalling. The winds are South easterly at about 35 knots, and at the moment it is burning our crops, and heading for a nearby nature reserve, over” came an unexpected caller on the UHF radio, “Fire controller to Joe Parkes, thank you for the information sir, we have Army and local fire units on their way, over” I responded.

“Goomalling Fire chief to Fire controller, we have local farmers and our town fire units on way to the fire now” another voice came over the Radio, “Copy that Goomalling Fire, I am Warrant Officer Mitchell Benning, Australian Army and FESA fire controller, we have two army fire trucks from our training base and town and local fire units from Bolgart on way as well, do you have a suggested place for a base, over” I responded.

“Yes sir, Joe’s place would be ideal, if you can get around the fire, recommend you head South on Kroe Hut road and Long Forrest road, the fire is very fast moving, so you don’t want to get caught in front of it. Come into town, then go down Beechcroft road directly to Joe’s place” the man said. “Understood, I will direct our teams that way, over and out” I replied, and remembering my suitcase, I stopped a moment, and pulled out a communications ear bud and activated it.

“Warrant officer Benning to whoever is listening, do you copy over” I said, as I continued to drive, “Hearing you loud and clear young Cub, this is the Brigadier speaking” came an unexpected reply, “Oh sorry to bother you at this late hour sir, I was wanting to chat to someone closer to home” I responded, and I heard the Brigadier chuckle, “No problems cub, I am at Campbell Barracks, Colonel Harding has filled me in on the situation” the Brigadier said to me.

“Very good sir, I know this is not the usual procedure, but after what happened to that town, south of Perth, a few years ago, I don’t want a repeat of that situation” I said. “I understand your concerns, let me speak to a few key people here in Perth, and I will get back to you, keep up the good work cub, Brigadier out”, I smiled as I made yet another turn, continuing south, as I looked over my left shoulder, to get an idea where the fire is. Twenty minutes later, a flashing red light indicated to me that I had arrived at the farm, as I pulled up to the ute, which had Shire of Goomalling Fire Chief written on the door, “Good evening, I am Warrant Officer Benning” I said to the man.

“Welcome sir, I am Chris Masters, we appreciate the help, I have some topographical maps of the area, to assist us with tackling this fire” the man replied with a smile, as he jumped into his ute and lead the way toward the farm house, where we were welcomed by Joe and his wife Karla. “Army Fire truck 1 to Warrant Officer Benning” the portable VHF radio crackled, from my belt, and I pulled it off to reply.

“Benning here, go ahead Corporal” I responded, “Sir we are in the town of Goomalling, where do we go from here” the corporal asked, “Wait, I will pass you on to a local” I replied and I handed the radio to the local fire chief, and he gave the directions to get here. After consulting the area map, I recommended getting farmers to make a number of wide firebreaks, well ahead of the fire in hope of slowing or stopping the fire, and I asked Chris Masters to coordinate this, while I jumped onto Joes home base UHF radio.

“Fire controller to all volunteer fire fighters, be aware that the fire is approaching a swampy nature reserve, do not get in front of the fire, as it is moving too fast, please follow along the side of the fire, and dampen the ground along the side of the fire to stop it widening, we have firebreaks being ploughed ahead of the fire that we hope will stop or slow it down, over” I said into the radio, and a number of the volunteers radioed back to say they understood.

As darkness began to fall, Chris Masters was on his mobile, calling a lot of the farmers in the district, and organising firebreaks to be ploughed across in front of the fire at one kilometres long spacing, well there are five firebreaks in its path, hopefully this will be enough to stop the fire.

After two hours, the fire had reached and jumped two of the firebreaks, as the winds continued to blow the fire hard in a north westerly direction. Chris suggested using the Bolgart East road as another fire barrier, and put firebreaks on each side of it to try and contain it on the northern side, so we redirected the tractor and ploughs, to make three plough width firebreaks on each side of the road, and we parked back behind the fire and waited to see what happens.

Fire crews continued to follow along the edge of the fire to stop it spreading sideways, and they were doing a fairly good job of it, even if it was a moonless night. Just two kilometres short of the Bolgart East road, the wind suddenly changed, and was now coming from the south west, causing the fire to swing northwards and slightly east, so Chris quickly ordered for the ploughs to extend the wide fire break on each side of the Bolgart East road, so it goes further east, plus up both sides of the Calingiri Road, which is not that far away.

We now had fire crews from Bolgart, Goomalling, Northam, Toodyay, Wongan Hills and Bindoon, all pitching in to try and control this huge fire, which had affected a number of farms now, as well as burning most of the nature reserve. Local Police and State Emergency were shutting down roads, and evacuating people who are in danger because of the fire, which was one less thing that I had to worry about. By 11pm, the fire had reached and jumped the Bolgart East road, and was now heading North-north East, on tens of thousands of acres of crop stubble and pasture.

A few hours earlier, I had put in a request for aerial water bombing, but that would not happen until first light the next day, so we just had to try and slow it down as best as possible with more wide firebreaks, and stopping it from spreading sideways. After a four-hour sleep, in the guest room at Joe’s place, Chris returned to our dining room control area, at 2am, and he suggested that I get at least four hours sleep, so I am fresh for the start of the morning, and I reluctantly agreed, and headed off to the guest room, and fell asleep almost right away.

When my alarm woke me at 6am, I went to the bathroom to freshen up, before heading to the dining room, where I saw that it was already daylight, and Joe’s wife was busy cooking up some breakfast for all of us. “The fire bombers are on their way, and will be here in fifteen minutes, the small airfield opposite the golf course will be used for refilling the planes with water, using water trucks, that are carting water from a nearby dam” Chris informed me.

Where is the fire now?” I asked, “Just 6 km’s north of where the Calingiri road bends to the north west, the fire crossed the road just before 4am this morning” Chris replied, as I looked at the map, which had red marks on it indicating the area that had been burnt so far. “Do we know how many farm buildings have been destroyed or damaged?” I asked, “No not yet, we are hoping the water bombers might be able to do that for us” Chris replied.

” So, the fire has travelled about 15 kilometres since it started?” I asked, “Yes, that is pretty well right, and unfortunately, I am fairly sure that at least three farms will have some building damage of some kind, as they have been in the path of the fire. Now it has passed two of those farms, I may get someone to go out there and check on them” Chris replied.

“Might be an idea to get the local police to do that, just in case there are any fatalities” I suggested, and Chris picked up the phone to call the local police station, but it was switched to police communications in Perth, this is deputy fire controller Chris Masters with the Goomalling fire, can I please be put in contact with officers of the Goomalling Police station please” I heard Chris say, and there was a moment’s pause before he continued.

“Well, have them call me at Joe Parkes place as soon as possible, it is a matter of urgency” Chris snapped before hanging up, “bloody city people just have no idea” Chris grumbled, before we were both handed a plate of food from Joe’s wife, and we sat down to enjoy our breakfast, which was interrupted by a call on the VHF.

Fire bombers to Goomalling Fire Controller, over”, and I picked up the hand-held radio, “Fire controller here, Warrant Officer Mitchell Benning of the Australian Army speaking” I responded, “Good morning sir, we have just arrived at the Goomalling airfield and we are being filled with water as we speak, what are your instructions, over” the pilot said. “Once you have made your first water drop, please follow the line of the fire back to Goomalling, and let me know what farm buildings have been affected in any way, and their approximate location, over” I respond.

“Very well sir, we will be taking off in five minutes, fire bomber out” the pilot said, and Chris picked up the UHF radio, Deputy fire controller to all volunteer fire fighters, be aware that the water bombers will be dropping water over the fire starting in about ten minutes, all crews stand clear of the fire area, over” Chris said.

Joe’s wife turned on the television in the lounge room, and we could hear that there was a news bulletin about the fire, so we headed into the lounge to watch. “I am here with Sergeant York, of the Goomalling Police, sir, can you tell us the current status of this wild fire?” a report said on the television. “Well we have volunteer crews from 6 surrounding towns, including this one, all main roads and the many gravel roads in the fire region are closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles.

So far, we know that three farms have been affected by the fire, but the extent of the damage is yet to be assessed” the police officer replied, “Who is in control of tackling this firestorm?” the report asked, we are lucky to have a well trained and experienced young Fire controller, who is also an Army officer, and he is being assisted by the Goomalling Bush Fire Chief, and they have set up a control centre close to the fire.

So far, the fire has travelled about 15 kilometres overnight, and many attempts have been made to slowdown and stop the fire, but it continues to jump all wide firebreaks that have been put into place. That is all the information I have for you at this time, thank you” the officer said and he walked off. “Well that is about as much as we know as well, plus a bit more, Sergeant York did a good job of handling the media there” Joe said to us, as we headed back to the dining room to finish our breakfast.

“Fire water bomber to fire controller over” came a call on the VHF radio, “Benning go ahead, fire water bomber, over” I responded, “Sir we are following the burnt path of the fire southwards, there is a house and three sheds half way up Glatz Road, that have been totally destroyed, another house, shearing shed, yard, silos and some hay at the south end of Glatz road have also been destroyed, plus a house and two sheds across the road on the corner of Calingiri road have also been destroyed, over” the pilot informed us.

“Very well, thank you for that information, Fire Controller out” I said sadly, and Chris, Joe and I looked at the map to pin point those farm locations, and marked them with a red circle, with a cross in the middle. “It looks like those two farms just to the south on Calingiri road were lucky, and escaped undamaged” Joe said pointing to the two farms on the map. “Very lucky indeed” Chris added. “Sergeant York, Goomalling Police to Fire Controller, over” came a voice on the VHF radio, “About bloody time” Chris grumbled as I picked up the radio.

“Go ahead sergeant, this is Warrant Officer Mitch Benning speaking” I said into the radio, “Sir, I just over heard the report from the pilot, regarding the fire damage to three farm properties, I will go and check them out, as far as I am aware, they were evacuated last night” the police officer said, and Chris indicated that he wanted to speak to the officer so I handed him the radio. “Peter, this is Chris Masters, I put a call though to you about half an hour ago, which was diverted to Perth Police Comm’s, did you get the message?” Chris asked.

“Hi Chris, no I didn’t get anything, I will give them a call now and correct that error, and get the supervisor to reprimand the person who took the call, I will get back to you on that, over and out” the police officer said ending the radio call. “Water bomber to Fire controller, commencing second passing over the fire in two minutes, over” another call on the radio said, “Thank you pilot, go ahead, and let me know how much of an effect it is making to the fire, over” I responded.

A few minutes later another call came through the radio, “Pilot 2 to fire controller, we have about 70 % of the fire now under control, one more pass each should be enough to get it under control, then the Ground crews can finish up the rest, over” the pilot said, “Understood, thank you, over” I replied with a smile. An hour later, I was able to declare that the fire was under control, and mostly out, and I reported this too FESA HQ back in Perth, as well as to the Colonel.

By lunch time, we had the fire virtually out, with just some fallen logs and trees burning well inside the edges of the burnt-out fire, and I officially handed control over to Chris and his local teams, and the two Army trucks and I were able to return to the Bindoon training facility. Stopping briefly to check on my parent’s place, which was fine, we arrived two hours later, tired, dirty and ready for a good sleep.

Leaving the trucks to be cleaned up later the Army team and I headed to our bunk rooms, to get a hot shower, before crashing in our beds to catch up on some sleep. I was woken up when someone placed my two-year old son on my stomach, who commenced to bounce up and down to wake me up, “Simeon, get off daddy please, as I opened one eye to see my smiling son’s face, then Tom standing nearby.

“You my dear son Thomas, are in big trouble, now please get Simeon off me and head to the dining room, I will be there shortly” I said to Tom, who lifted his wriggling half-brother off me and carried him out the door. Ten minutes later, freshened up and dressed in a fresh uniform, I walked into the dining hall, to find my whole family there, including my parents and Aunty Jean.

Copyright July 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Reserved
  • Like 30
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

(peeks for villagers with pitchforks and torches)

 

Those guys that walked away from the fire crew shouldn't be allowed back on it. I don't much like the fact that Mitch's non-gayness had to be reinforced to the shire guy before he would back him. Mitch was already in charge and clearly the best man for the job. It would have been unprofessional, but how many wanted to see Dave get knocked on his backside? I'm actually wondering if Dave is secretly gay and overcompensating to cover it up.

 

A good job was done by the fire crews, but without Mitch there to get the firebombers in, who knows what would have happened. I predict Mitch will be burdened with another award.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 4
Link to comment

I agree with drpaladin that Dave and the other firefighters including the chief shouldn't be allowed to come back to work at the fire station. The way I see it is they walked away because they didn't want to work under the command of Mitch all because they thought he was gay. His sexual preference shouldn't interfere with the duties of fire controller. As it turned out Mitch was the best man for the job as he was able to get the two trucks from Bindoon, as well as the two water fire bombers, not only these units but organized three or four other fire companies from the towns surrounding the fire area. I'm glad that Mitch was the one who the FESA made it official that Mitch was the fire controller for the fire, I think with the help of the fire chief from the town where the fire was both did a great job of getting control of the fire and had it totally contained in just under 24 hours. The only casualties from the fire appears to be three farms and a few other farm buildings. I wish Mitch and family the best of luck going back to the UK for five years, all because the command people were very impressed with the work Mitch did for them. Great story. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

B)..........Agreed, Mitch should of had immediate response from the town, announcing he had a wife and children to appease the locals was a slap in the face of his professional skills and rank.  Dave may face being ostracized by the town now that word gets out on Mitch and how he organized a quick control of the firestorm.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A great job by Mitch, in saving his local community. The perfect person to be the Fire Controller as he was the most experienced.

I agree with everyone else those firefighters that walked away shouldn’t be allowed back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..