Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,379 Words
  • 4,016 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Frontier - 28. FR Chapter 28

“Wake up, sleepy head,” my brothers said to me, standing by my bed. Startled and sleepy, I sat up and smiled.

“What time is it, Guys?” I asked them.

“Mum says it’s time to get your lazy bum out of bed,” Neale said to me, and I raised my eyebrow at that statement.

“She did not say that. She said backside, not bum, liar,” Jedd responded to his brother’s little lie, and I chuckled at the correction of mum’s statement.

“Ok, Guys, get out of here so I can get dressed. I will be out in a few minutes,” I said to my brothers, and they left my room, closing the door behind them.

I looked at my watch, which read 3pm, and once I had changed into some fresh clothes, I headed out to find the rest of the family, who were sitting on the back verandah.

“How is the orchard going? Have the trees settled well into their new environment?” I asked Mum.

“Yes, it is all going well. At least now I have plenty of things to do to keep me busy,” Mum said to me happily.

“What else have you and Gramps got planned for this place?” I said to Mum with a smile.

“Well, we want to extend the three rows of trees for the whole length of the eastern boundary, and have a chicken run between the trees.

“Maybe we could build fences along the side of the driveway, to make two front paddocks, so we can have some livestock as well,” Mum suggested.

“Let’s wait till Gramps is back tomorrow, so we can sit down and talk some more about it, and plan everything properly,” I suggested and I stood up and looked around. “I think I will go for a walk around the property on my own, I will catch you guys later,” I announced and I headed off along the back boundary of our property.

When I returned to the house about an hour later, I had done a full circuit of the property, plus looked around the middle of the property, which I had only driven past previously, and I decided that it would be best to put the extra accommodation in line with the house and shed, in front of the orchard, on the other side of the driveway, and that I would only have a couple of twin cabins, and two single cabins, in one single line, with an access track behind, and room between each building for two vehicles.

Mum was in the kitchen getting dinner prepared as I entered the house, and the boys were watching cartoons on the television.

“Hiya, Mum. I’ve decided that we put some accommodation in one line, in line with the houses in front of the orchard with an access track behind the buildings. That way we have more space for two paddocks in the front 2/3’s of the property. I will get a surveyor in next week, so we can get it properly laid out,” I announced.

“Ok, Son, if that is what you want,” Mum replied to me in a neutral tone, which I wasn’t too pleased about. I looked at Mum for a few moments to try and understand her attitude to me, and decided to leave it for now, and speak to Gramps when he returned.

I went into the office, opened up my lap top computer, and opened up the company charter website. While in Perth, I had arranged for a website development firm to redesign the layout of the website, and add some more features, and I had given them a week to get it completed. With it being now four days, I wanted to see what had been achieved so far. I was surprised and amazed that a fully operational website was already in place. It looked absolutely awesome. I liked what I saw as I went through each web page. They had included the recent photos that I had taken of the family and crew, plus some photos and mobile video clips that I had taken at Christmas Island and Abrolhos Islands, when we brought the trimaran down to Jurien Bay the first time.

I saw on the news and information page, a notice I had written, announcing the Trimaran, Last Frontier, would be returning to its home base of Jurien Bay late next week, and that charters would be available from the following Monday. On the Charter Tours page, there were the three different charters available, the 7-day charter from Fremantle to Exmouth, the 10-day charter from Exmouth the Christmas Island, and the 7-day charter From Christmas Island to Fremantle, and all the ports of call were included with the amount of time at each port.

I was very happy with my decision to have the website upgraded and maintained, by a professional website designer, and I hoped that with it and the new advertising campaign, that we would be kept busy with regular charters. As I closed down the website, I opened the charters information file on the lap top, and I could see that I could squeeze one more charter in. After a bit of research, I worked out a round trip from Rottnest Island, to Jurien, stopping at the Platform Reef, just north of Guilderton, and Lancelin, with overnight at Jurien, before the return journey and a 2nd overnight at Rottnest Island.

Once I had it fully worked out, I printed it off so as to fax it to Jasper on the trimaran, for his review and comments. Just moments after sending it, my phone rang.

“Hello, Jasper. I presume you received my fax,” I said as I answered it.

“Yes, I did. So I guess this means no 4 days straight for shore leave,” Jasper replied.

“You’re correct, but you will still get 1 ½ days leave between each charter, plus time to do some relaxing or exploring on Rottnest Island,” I said in reply.

“I guess I can’t complain about that. It’s a great place to visit. Yes, go ahead with adding it. I think it will be good to have a short trip available for guests who don’t have much spare time,” Jasper said and we chatted a little more before ending the call.

The next morning, I woke early, and after making some toast, and having a cup of tea, I left a note on the kitchen bench. I grabbed my car keys and went for a drive to the marina to check on the catamaran, which was currently empty, since all the crew were up north. Once I was happy that everything was in order, I returned to my vehicle and set off for a drive, as I had decided to check out the nearby Drover’s Cave National Park where there are a number of limestone caves in the area.

It was while I was driving there, that I realised that I had left my mobile at home, but I decided not to go back for it, as I would be home in a couple of hours. I found the main cave, and explored it. It was an amazing sight to see, along with two others nearby. At about 10am, I headed back home. When I stepped into the house, I saw Mum running around, trying to get something organised.

“Oh good, you are back. Gramps has had a stroke, after seeing the lads off at the airport. An ambulance has taken him to hospital. I wasn’t sure how long you were going to be. Can you stay and look after the boys, while I drive down to Perth,” Mum said to me.

“Is he ok? How bad was the stroke?” I asked Mum concerned.

“I’m not entirely sure of all the details, only that he is partially paralysed and he is conscious,” Mum replied.

“How about we all go down, and then you can use Gramps vehicle, and the boys and I will come back home tonight or tomorrow,” I suggested.

“Yes, that sounds like a good idea.”

I turned to the boys. “Go and get a change of clothes, including underwear and socks, plus your pyjamas. We are going to stay overnight in Perth and come back tomorrow,” I said to my brothers.

Half an hour later, I had booked us accommodation, and we were all in my vehicle. We set off south to the city, arriving just over two hours later. Once we had checked into the hotel and freshened up a little, we found a nearby café to have a late lunch, before heading to the hospital to check on Gramps. When we arrived at the ward where Gramps was located, we had the boys sit in the waiting lounge, while Mum and I spoke to the nurse.

We learnt that Gramps had suffered a stroke as he was exiting the airport, so there was assistance for him straight away. He had had a number of tests, but not all of them had been completed yet, so it would be a few more days, before we would get any specific details on how bad Gramps was. We were given Gramps’ wallet, jacket and set of car keys, that he had on him and I went to sit with my brothers, while Mum went to see Gramps.

Twenty minutes later we set off to the airport to pick up the other vehicle which was still there, and we returned to the hotel. It was then that I remembered that I hadn’t contacted Jasper about what had happened, so I stepped out onto the balcony to make the call. When the call ended, I stepped back inside the family suite, which had two bedrooms, with Mum having the master bedroom, and the boys and I each having a single bed in the other room.

“I’ve just let Jasper and co, know about Gramps. Also, Jasper says that the lads arrived at Christmas Island, and that they will arrive there with the trimaran just before sunset today,” I informed Mum.

“How is it going with the guests? Did he say anything about them?” Mum asked.

“Yes, they are all British upper-class couples, in their late 50’s and they are all friends. All but one couple have grown children who have left home. The couple who still have school age children, have left them with their Australian maternal grandparents,” I reported to Mum, on what Jasper had told me.

“The poor grandparents,” Mum said and I laughed at that comment.

“Mum, you are so wicked sometimes,” I commented with a smile, which made Mum chuckle.

We relaxed for a couple of hours, before we headed to a restaurant for an early dinner. Afterwards while Mum went back to the hospital, I took the boys to see a movie at the cinemas. We arrived back at the hotel just a short while after Mum had returned.

“How was the movie? Did you enjoy it boys?” Mum asked my brothers.

“Yes, it was good thanks, Mum,” they both answered. I suggested that they go and have a shower and get ready for bed.

“I had a call from Jasper while you were out. Did you turn off your mobile?” Mum said, reminding me that I had done that. On retrieving it, I switched it back on, and saw two missed calls from Jasper. “Since Gramps is ill and you were not contactable, I had to let Jasper make an executive decision. He called to let us know that the guests who have children staying with their grandparents in Sydney, have a minor emergency.

“The guest’s parents had a minor traffic accident, and are fairly shaken up, and are staying in hospital for a couple of days. So, they have arranged for the two children to fly to Perth. They want us to pick them up at the airport, accommodate them and put them on a flight to Exmouth in two-day’s time to meet up with the yacht,” Mum announced to me.

“Wow, that’s asking a lot, but I guess there is no choice is there,” I replied.

“That’s what we were hoping you would say. Qantas flight leaves Perth 12.40pm on Thursday, gets up to Exmouth at 2.35pm, which is about the time the Trimaran arrives. The boys are age 15 and 11, they are on their way over from Sydney now. They arrive in Perth at 11.35pm tonight. I have booked a twin room, just down the hall from us,” Mum announced.

“What’s going to happen when they get on the yacht?” I asked mum.

“The couple in the twin cabin, is moving to a pontoon cabin, which they are pleased to have a double bed, and the two boys will share the twin cabin next to their parents,” Mum announced.

I looked at the clock, and it read 9.15pm as I sat down on the lounge. “Well, that gives me about an hour and a quarter to relax, before I have to go and collect them. Now that we are staying for an extra two days, I might plan a trip to Rottnest Island for the four boys and I, to try and keep them occupied,” I said as I looked at my phone to gather some information that I needed to plan the day trip. As I was preparing to head off to the Airport, Mum informed me that the boys names are Alexander and Maxwell Chesterton, and she gave me a sheet of paper, that had the boys’ names printed on it in very large lettering.

“Just so you don’t miss them. I’m told they are both tall for their ages, blond and blue eyed. I will see you in the morning for breakfast. Goodnight,” Mum said to me as she headed to her room.

Grabbing my keys, I headed downstairs to retrieve my car and head to the domestic airport. While I waited, I found a good book in the news agency in the terminal, and with a cup of tea, I sat down in the arrivals area to wait the twenty minutes till the plane landed. I was enjoying the book so much, that I didn’t keep track of the time, and when I saw two boys approaching me, I quickly stood up to meet them.

“Mr Hamilton?” the older boy asked.

“Yes, but you can call me Anton. I am still in High school myself,” I said with a smile, as I shook their hands. Both boys held a single small carry-on suitcase, and I lead the way out of the terminal, and through the carpark to my car. Once in, we headed into the city.

“Thank you for doing this for us. Nanna and Pop, were in a real tizz on what to do, when they learnt that they had to go to hospital. Some idiot T boned them as they were going down the street to get some food supplies. They had left us with their neighbour while they were gone. We saw it happen, when we were watching them drive down the street. It was so scary. Luckily, we had the satellite phone number for the yacht that Mum and dad are on, so we called them, and they arranged everything for us,” Alexander explained as I drove.

“How do you know about this yacht, Anton? Are you friends of the owners?” Maxwell asked me.

“Well yes sort of. The skipper of the yacht, Jasper Adamson, is a good friend of mine, and the yacht is very nice to sail on. I have been on it many times. Your parents made arrangements with Jasper, who knew that I was in Perth for a day, and we have extended that a little to make sure you are looked after. I will put you on the flight to Exmouth on Thursday. It’s a two-hour flight, and you should arrive about the same time as the yacht arrives there,” I replied to them, as we arrived at the hotel.

Once the boys had been checked in, I said good night and let them settle into their room, letting them know my room number and the time for breakfast in the morning. After a quick shower, I went to bed, glad that the day was finally over. The next morning, I answered the expected door knocking.

“Good morning, Guys. Did you sleep well?” I said to Alexander and Maxwell, as I opened the door. When Mum and my brothers appeared, I introduced them to the two visitors, before we headed downstairs for breakfast.

After breakfast, as Mum headed off to the hospital to see Gramps, I took the boys to check out the WA Aquarium in the northern suburbs. After some lunch at a beach café, we headed to South Perth to check out the Perth Zoo. Although Alexander and Maxwell were a lot older than my brothers, they appeared to get along well during the day, and they took it in turns to ride in the front passenger seat when we were travelling. When we arrived back at the hotel mid-afternoon, mum had returned from the hospital and welcomed us back.

‘So, what are your plans for the rest of the day and for tomorrow?” she asked us, as we sat down in the lounge area.

“I was thinking of taking the boys to Rottnest Island early tomorrow. There is plenty to do and explore over there,” I responded.

“I have not heard of it. How far away is it?” Maxwell asked.

“It’s about 18 kilometres off the coast of Fremantle, and takes about 35 minutes to reach by ferry. There is plenty to see and do there,” I replied.

“Ok, that sounds good. What time will we be leaving?” Alexander asked.

“If we leave early, we can see a lot more. So, if we get to Fremantle for the 8am ferry, that would be good. Do you want to do any shopping or looking around the city,” I said to them.

“Nah, I think we will stay at the hotel. Maybe check out the pool,” Maxwell said and Alexander nodded his head in agreement.

I followed the boys to the pool to supervise them swimming, and I took the book I bought at the airport with me to read while keeping an eye on the four boys. At the end of the afternoon, we returned to our rooms. I relaxed in the lounge while the boys showered and changed. Mum had gone back to the hospital, and after a while of watching a bit of television, we headed down to the restaurant for dinner, and an early night in bed.

I was still in the lounge, when Mum returned from the hospital, and reported that Gramps was on the mend, but it would take some time to get movement back in his legs and arms. Mum said that Gramps would be transferred to a rehabilitation hospital within a week, and that it would be about a month, before he would be able to come home. I was pleased with this news, and saying goodnight, I headed to bed.

At 6.15 the next morning, I woke up my brothers, and telephoned the Chesterton brothers’ room, to make sure they were awake and getting ready for an early breakfast. Fifteen minutes later, we were all sitting down to breakfast. Half an hour later, we were in my ute, with a day backpack each. We made the forty-minute drive to Fremantle, arriving with ten minutes to spare, by the time I had parked the car, and made our way to the ferry ticket office.

All four boys made their way to the top aft deck, while I remained indoors, and read my book during the journey over to the island. Over the next six hours, we went on a bus tour of the whole island, visited the WW2 tunnels and gun placement, the large lighthouse, the pink lakes and we checked out lots of the resident marsupials, the cute and friendly quokkas. The four boys appeared to have a great time, especially when they stuffed their faces with lots of treats at the local bakery, which all came back up during the ferry trip back to the mainland.

Copyright: June 2017. Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved
  • Like 44
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Anton, wonder what will happen now. Wonder what was up with his Mum, when he mentioned the extra accommodation.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This is really a great story.  Considering the abuse that Anton suffered while living with his father, he has matured quickly.  I can tell that some surprised are coming soon.  I wonder what the two young men will think, when they find out that Anton is a co-owner of the yacht.

Thanks again for writing this interesting story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Quokka, this is one of your best stories so far.  Having plenty of dialogue is a good thing.  

I like Jasper, Simon, Kirk and Leon in addition to Anton and his immediate family.  I'm hoping Simon gets featured a little more in the rest of the story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have a feeling that some surprises are on the horizon for Anton. I hope that his grandfather will come through the stroke and be OK. I think Anton would be a great father, just by the way he gets involved with his brothers and what their doing. Anton always seems to take time for his brothers, and now with the boys of a couple who are part of the charter on the yacht right now he has planned activities that all of the boys would enjoy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..