Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,261 Words
  • 3,820 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Frontier - 42. FR Chapter 42

When the crew returned at about 1600 hours, they were all smiles, and each of them carried some shopping bags. They sat down in the lounge to tell me all about their day, and they were pleased to see that the big screen television had been replaced. I informed everyone that the saloon doors would be installed the next day, so we would be more secure after that, and that I had arranged for additional security measures to be installed, including intruder sensors on the aft and fore decks, as well as on each of the pontoons.

When the crew had put away their shopping, the boys went to the crew lounge to relax and play some games, and Simon, Sara and I sat in the crew mess to chat. I looked at Simon first, and then to Sara.

“There is something we better let you know. Once all the repairs are done, we are heading north east. Our main destination is Honolulu, Hawaii, with stops in Fiji and Kiribati. The whole trip will take us two weeks to complete, not including stop over time, so I will leave it up to you if you want to leave us at Christchurch, or come with us to Hawaii.

“I will say though, that if you do come with us, you will officially become a crew member, and get a fortnightly wage, as yacht’s chef and part time educator,” I said to Sara.

“Well, with an offer like that, I will gladly accept the offer for employment, Boss,” Sara said to me with a big smile, and I gave a little chuckle.

“I will help you with galley duties when I have the time, but once we leave Christchurch, the skipper and I will be on 12-hour helm shifts,” Simon added.

I was about to say more, when my phone rang. The caller ID read G & M Fenton, and I smiled as I answered the call.

“Hello, George. How are things in the UK this afternoon?” I said to the caller. George informed me that he had been in contact with their friends, and they would be pleased to join us at Christchurch for a charter cruise to Hawaii. He informed me of the names of the three couples, and that they would be arriving at Christchurch in two days’ time. I thanked George for the update and ended the call.

“Now that we have secured a third adult crew member, I am happy to confirm that we have a charter from Christchurch to Honolulu - three couples, who are close friends of George and Mimi’s,” I announced to Sara and Simon.

“That means you and I have to do a big shopping trip, for food,” Simon said to Sara, who was a little shocked with this news.

“Don’t worry, Simon is an experienced chief steward and cook, so he will help you with the planning of the meals for the next two weeks. We will also pick up fresh supplies when we call into Fiji and Kiribati. With three couples, they will be using the master and two double guest cabins, so you and Oscar can remain in your assigned cabins for now. Simon and I will be relocating to our original cabins on the pontoons, so that will give the boys extra space to relax. Maybe I have a better idea.

“I will get some carpenters in to remove the bed and make it into a study area, for schooling, and if you like Oscar can have the single cabin opposite my brothers,” I said to Sara.

“That sounds like a good idea. I will get Oscar moved first thing in the morning,” Sara replied.

After we had eaten dinner, the boys watched a movie in the formal lounge, before they showered and headed to bed for the night.

I went up to the fly bridge, to be on watch for a few hours, before I would also go to bed. The following morning Sara offered to take all three boys for some more sightseeing, and Simon said he would remain on the yacht to work out a meal plan for the next two weeks. At 0900 hours, we had a team of tradespeople on the yacht, some of them installing the new security systems, while the others were installing the replacement saloon doors, which were three layers of glass, making it very difficult to smash.

While they were working, I called Mike at Invercargill, to get a recommended marine carpenter, to do some more work on the yacht, and with that information at hand, and another phone call, I had arranged for a marine carpentry team to come in the afternoon to do the changes in the master crew cabin.

I stripped the bed of linen and relocated all of my belongings over to the forward starboard pontoon, and by the time I had done this, my former cabin was now bare, and ready for the planned changes of an “L” shaped desk, with room for three people to be seated at one time. I would also be including a full-length bookshelf, along the outer side wall above the desks for the education books. I was also planning to purchase three new lap top computers, a printer scanner, and have them all connected to the yacht’s satellite internet.

Once Simon and I had eaten lunch, I asked him to go and do some shopping for me, to get the computers and printer for what would be the new crew study adjoining the crew lounge. As Simon left, the glass installers had finished replacing the saloon doors. I paid them the money for their services and thanked them for their prompt work.

Pleased that we now had a secure yacht again, I headed up to the fly bridge and waited for the arrival of the new contractors to do the work in my former cabin, where I would also be having the two wardrobes turned into extra shelving and storage drawers. The carpenters arrived at 1400 hours and after I had shown them what I wanted done, they got to work pulling apart the bed and measuring up where I wanted the desk and bookshelves.

Simon returned just half an hour before Sara and the boys returned and placed the new computers and printer scanner in the lounge area of the bridge, while the new carpentry work was being done. The boys watched a movie in the formal lounge, since they couldn’t get to the crew lounge. When the carpenters knocked off for the day, promising to be back first thing in the morning to finish the work, Simon and I locked up the whole yacht, and we headed into town to have dinner in the city.

Soon after we sat down in the restaurant my mobile rang. It was an unknown number. “Hamilton Sail charters, Anton speaking,” I said as I answered the call.

“Hello, Mr Hamilton. This is Charles Branks, a good friend of George and Mimi Fenton. I believe you are expecting us tomorrow,” the caller said.

“Yes, Sir, we are. Can you come no earlier than 2pm, as we are having some minor alterations being made and they will be completed by that time?” I replied.

“Yes, that is fine by us. We have just flown into Christchurch and we have a late checkout time for the hotel,” Mr Branks said to me.

“Would you like us to arrange transport from the hotel to the yacht tomorrow afternoon?” I asked Mr Branks.

“Yes, that would be wonderful thank you. George mentioned that you were good with attention to detail and going beyond what is expected, so we look forward to an enjoyable cruise,” Mr Branks replied.

“Very well, Sir. We will have a limo collect you at 2pm at your hotel. Did Mr Fenton inform you of the terms of the charter?” I asked.

“Yes, we will have 45% of the first week in cash on arrival, and a bank cheque for the remainder of the two-week charter,” Mr Branks replied.

“Thank-you, Sir. I look forward to your arrival tomorrow afternoon. Goodnight,” I said and we ended the call.

I sighed and looked at Simon and Sara. “Well as you can guess, that was one of our guests arriving tomorrow afternoon, so first thing tomorrow, while the last of the work is happening in the new study, I want the three guest cabins cleaned thoroughly. Simon, can you show Sara the high standard that I expect, and also issue Oscar and her with some uniforms? As from after lunch tomorrow, we will all be in uniforms. That includes Oscar, as the boys will be assisting with getting luggage on board, and serving any non-alcoholic drinks.”

“Yes, Boss,” Simon replied and there was a moment of silence.

“Yes, Boss. Sorry. I guess it’s going to take me a little bit to get used to not being the boss anymore,” Sara said to me, and I smiled.

“It’s ok Sara. I am sure you will pick it up quickly. Just remember to relax and have a good time, and if you have any problems, don’t hesitate to come and see me or Simon,” I said to Sara.

“Ok, Boss. Will do,” Sara replied.

After we had finished dinner, we went back to the yacht and since it was getting late, I asked my brothers to have a shower and get ready for bed. Sara asked Oscar to do the same, now that he was in the adjoining cabin in the crew area. Once the boys were in bed, Sara, Simon and I sat down in the formal lounge area.

“I just want to check with you, Sara, are you ok with this change of pace? I know it might seem a little too much, but this is the main part of this yacht’s business. Because we have limited crew, everyone has to pitch in and help out. The guests’ cabins are to be serviced every day, with sheets to be changed every second day, and a high level of cleanliness in all guest living areas.

“When the guests are on board, crew and family members are confined to crew areas. There is an exception for you since you have a cabin in the guest area. Now we have the study area and crew lounge this makes things a little easier for the boys, who also have the lounge area of the main bridge as permissible place to be. When the guests are not on board, the boys can also use the Jacuzzi and sunlounge area on the fly bridge,” I announced to Sara.

“Neale and Jedd already know these rules, and they can help Oscar with any questions about where they are allowed to be,” Simon added with a smile.

“So much to remember in a small amount of time,” Sara said to us.

“It’s ok. We are here to help you settle into this new career, so try not to get too anxious about it. Get a good night’s sleep and we will see you in the morning,” I said to Sara, and she smiled as she stood up and headed down to her cabin.

Simon and I did a final check around the yacht, before we locked up the Saloon doors and headed to our pontoon cabins in opposite directions. Early the next morning, I arrived in the galley, to find Simon and Sara preparing breakfast for everyone. I smiled as I sat down at the crew mess, and Simon placed a cup of tea in front of me.

“How is everyone feeling this morning?” I asked my two crew mates.

“I am feeling much better after a good night’s sleep, thanks, Skipper,” Sara said with a smile.

After we had eaten breakfast, and chatted for a while about the day’s plans, Sara woke up the boys, while Simon and I checked the three guest cabins to make doubly sure that everything was in order and ready for the guests’ arrival. Once that was done we cleaned every surface in the formal lounge, dining room and saloon lounge, and vacuumed the floors, before heading up to the fly deck, to make sure that it was all clean up there as well. The carpenters had completed their work by late morning, and after inspecting their work, I paid them in full, and thanked them for their work.

Before the boys could go in there, I had Simon install the three new laptop computers and the printer scanner, and linked them up to the yacht’s internet. Sara brought in a heap of books that she had purchased the day before, including atlases, dictionaries, general reference books, and three lots of text books on World History, Geography, Mathematics, English, Science and Foreign Languages, which she placed in the bookshelves above the desks. When the boys were finally allowed to enter the new study, they were amazed at the big change in the room.

“This will be your classroom from now on. So, when we are at sea, we will have classes from 9am to 11am and 2pm to 4pm, 6 days a week. On days that we are in port we will have educational excursions, which will be part of your education,” Sara announced to the boys.

“Excuse me, Miss Sara, Anton and Simon go by the 24 hour clock, so it should be 0900 to 1100 and 1400 to 1600 hours,” Neale said to correct her. I couldn’t help but chuckle when I heard this, especially when Sara turned to face me and frowned at me.

“Very well, that’s just another thing I need to get used to. Thanks for the polite reminder, Neale,” Sara responded, as she faced the boys, who had now sat down in their chairs, and were looking at the computers and the books in the book case in front of them. “Classes will commence at 0900 hours tomorrow, so for now you are free to relax until the arrival of the guests, and don’t forget to change into your yacht uniforms straight after lunch,” Sara said.

As I turned to head up to the bridge, my mobile rang. The caller ID said it was Gramps, and I smiled as I headed up the stairs and answered the call. “Hello, Gramps. How is the recovery going?” I asked when the call connected.

“Going very well thanks, Grandson. I am out of rehab hospital, and I am back at Isaac’s place in Leeman. We have checked the house, and everything is fine there. The trees and vines are doing very well,” Gramps replied happily.

“That is great news, Gramps. The boys and I are well. We have just spent a couple of days in Christchurch. We have another charter and will be leaving later this afternoon,” I said to Gramps.

“Yes, I know about your trip to Honolulu. I had a call from George a few days ago, asking me why we were not doing charters for a while, and I explained that you were dealing with some personal business regarding the estate of your mother and stepfather. I mentioned that your Canadian crew members had returned home, and when he called back yesterday, he suggested that I organise for two capable replacements, to be sent over for this charter to Honolulu,” Gramps said to me.

“I see, and which two capable replacements do you suggest I employ for this charter?” I asked Gramps.

“They are already on their way, and will arrive in Christchurch at 1700 hours your time, although Jasper isn’t too happy about them taking off from him,” Gramps said to me, and I let out a laugh, realising he was talking about Toby and Finn.

“It will be great to have them on board. Thanks for organising it, Gramps. I will make sure that someone will be at the airport to meet Toby and Finn. I will speak to you in a few days when we arrive in Fiji. Say hello to Isaac for me. Bye,” I said and ended the call.

I headed back down to the crew mess and galley. Sara and Simon were discussing menu’s when I arrived, and they stopped when they saw me.

“I have great news. We will have two extra crew members. They arrive late this afternoon. Simon, we took them away from Jasper, so your cousin isn’t too happy at the moment,” I announced, and Simon burst out laughing and I joined in. Once we had calmed down Simon faced Sara, who wasn’t sure what was going on.

“Ok, just to fill you in with some background info. Jasper is my cousin. He is a former police senior constable, and he is the skipper of the catamaran yacht that Anton and his Gramps owned, but have sold to Jasper recently. Toby and Finn are former class mates of ours, from the high school in rural Western Australia where we lived, and they have crewed for us on a couple of occasions, when our main crew members were not available. Those crew have since returned home to Canada. We inherited them from the previous owners when Anton and his Gramps bought this yacht, and they were outstanding crew members,” Simon announced.

“Anyway, Toby and Finn will be joining us when they fly in to Christchurch at 1700 hours today. Simon can you go out to the airport and meet them, and bring them back to the yacht?” I asked Simon. “We will be ready to go once you have returned.”

“Not a problem. So, I guess they will have to share a pontoon cabin,” Simon replied.

“Oh, I hadn’t thought of that. We can leave it up to them. They can have the cabin next to you, or have the twin guest cabin next to Sara’s cabin,” I replied, and I went forward to check on the boys who were busy watching a movie in the crew lounge.

We had an early simple lunch of cold meats and salad, which also made it easy to clean up afterwards, and Simon and Sara set off to do some food shopping, to be well stocked for the two -week long charter ahead of us. Less than two hours later they arrived back in a taxi bus with lots of bags of shopping, and I asked the boys to stop their computer game, and come up on deck to help bring all the shopping on board, as there was a mixture of fresh, dry, tinned, and frozen food, that needed to be put away quickly. Just as I was carrying the last two boxes of tinned food into the saloon, I spotted the limo approaching.

“Attention, Crew. Guests are arriving. Boys help Sara with all the shopping, while Simon and I attend to the guests,” I shouted. With the bridge door open everyone heard me, and I heard Simon curse. “I heard that, Simon,” I said in reply, and Simon appeared from the Bridge with a dirty uniform shirt. “You better get changed quick smart,” I said to Simon, and he dashed over to his cabin to change his shirt.

I stepped onto the jetty just at the limo pulled up nearby, and three couples climbed out of the back, not waiting for the driver to open the doors for them.

“Good afternoon. Anton Hamilton, yacht owner and skipper. Welcome to the trimaran yacht – Last Frontier,” I said to the arriving guests, and each of them introduced themselves to me, just as Simon arrived.

Copyright: June 2017. Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved
  • Like 51
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Glad to see the boys schooling sorted out. Pleased to see that Anton has a full crew with Sarah, Toby and Finn joining him and Simon. Looking forward to this charter and the further adventures of Anton and crew.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I loved this chapter as well. It's going to be a very busy 2 weeks on this charter, going from New Zealand to Hawaii with 2 stops in between. I'm glad that Anton's grandfather had the idea to arrange for the extra crew members. I'm sure Jasper's not to happy about it at all, especially since it might put him short of the crew if he gets a charter. I'm glad that the boys now have a permanent place to get their education since Anton's trying to stay away from Australia right now as he doesn't want any more accidents and loss of family members because someone is after something that they want but don't know who has it. Can't wait for more great writing. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I am a little surprised Anton hasn't shared the news about the connection of the 'accidents' and attack with Jasper and his grandfather. They would worry, but they should know about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

B)......................Hmm, when is Anton going to look through those papers he found of his brother's father company?  I can only assume that he is still in danger, thus so are all the crew.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Is it just me or is Anton seeming like a stuck-up snob sometimes......Plus where the heck does he get this endless supply of money to spend on salaries, the farm, upgrades to the boat, sending people on fully paid trips for three weeks at a time, also....is he 17 or 19 years old or is he 40-50 years old? He doesn't act anywhere near his age....in fact none of the characters do. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..