Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,319 Words
  • 3,490 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Frontier - 49. FR Chapter 49

“It feels strange crossing the Cook Strait in the opposite direction and in a bigger vessel,” Simon said to me and I nodded my head in agreement. When we finally arrived at Picton, we woke up the boys, and with our luggage in hand, we located a taxi and made our way to the two - 5 star apartments accommodation, that Sara had found for us, with the lads and Simon sharing one apartment, and my brothers and I sharing the other one.

Late the next morning, after we had all had a good sleep-in, I had a shower and went downstairs to find a news agent to get a newspaper. When I saw the front page I was not happy. “Lost Trimaran Yacht limps into Vanuatu” was the headline. I made my way back to the apartment before reading the article.

“The luxury yacht known as Last Frontier was seen arriving in Vanuatu early yesterday morning after it went missing during a gale force storm north of Hawaii three weeks ago. A spokesperson for the Vanuatu Customs service said they were the first to meet the yacht as it approached the Vanuatu nation islands shortly after 7am yesterday. They said the yacht had been struck by lightning during the storm, knocking out their satellite navigation and communications.

The skipper of the yacht had informed the customs officers that they had become beached on a remote coral atoll they believed to be Johnston Atoll, which is a former United States - WW 2 Island base, west-south-west of Hawaii. According to customs, the skipper, who is believed to be 18-year-old Anton Hamilton, who is also part owner of the yacht, along with his crew of 5, spent two weeks doing basic repairs and getting the yacht back into the water, before sailing south west to Vanuatu, using just a school atlas and a compass for navigation. The yacht has since disappeared, and the crew have fled the country. More on this story to follow”.

When there was a knock on the door, I went to open it, knowing that it would be Simon and the lads. It was Toby who spotted the newspaper headline first. “Whoa, this is not good,” Toby said as he read the article, which caught the attention of Simon and Finn, who went to read over his shoulder. When my phone rang I jumped with fright a little before I cautiously answered the call.

“Mr Hamilton, this is the boatyard. We just read the newspaper and we want to assure you that no information came from us. We have the yacht locked away in the shed, and the yard gates are kept locked, so no one can get in,” came the familiar voice.

“I appreciate that. How are things going with assessing the damage?” I replied, feeling relieved that it wasn’t the media.

“That is a very clever idea you did with the drums and containers to keep the front afloat. We have removed them, and as you said it’s just the bulkhead, but I recommend replacing the whole front nose on the main bow and on the two pontoons,” came the reply. After a few more moments of discussion, I agreed to the repairs and cost, and ended the call.

Neale and Jedd appeared from their room, showered and changed, and I suggested that we all go and have some brunch, which everyone agreed to. After we had eaten, we did some wandering around the area, to see what was in Picton, and when we passed a shop with televisions in the window, we were shocked to see photos of the yacht on the screen. The shop was homewares store, so we went in to have a listen to what was being said on the television.

“Repeating our main story for today, these are photos of the yacht - Last Frontier - taken as it arrived in Port Vila, Vanuatu yesterday morning. As we can see there are scorch marks high up on the mast, believed to be caused by a lightning strike. It can also be clearly seen, that there is a lot of damage to the bow of the yacht, with a large hole in it.

So far, we have learnt from our contacts, the yacht lost communications and satellite navigation in the storm that they were caught in, north of Hawaii. The storm had blown them way off course, where they ended up beached on Johnston Atoll, located over 1200 kilometres west-south-west of Hawaii, where they remained stranded for two weeks, while doing minor repairs.

They then managed to get the yacht back into the water, and using just a school atlas and a hand compass, they sailed 4,300 kilometres south-west to Vanuatu, the first land that they came across. We believe their yacht is now being hidden away somewhere on the island, and the skipper and crew have flown out of Vanuatu to Fiji and onto New Zealand, where their location is unknown at this current time.

It is believed that the US coast guard had spent four solid days searching for the yacht north of Hawaii when it was listed as missing, by worried relatives in Australia, four days after leaving Honolulu. We will bring you more on this story, when it comes to hand,” we heard the report say. We quickly exited the shop and returned to our apartment rooms.

“Well, it looks like we are big news, and that it is going to be hard to avoid the media, so I am going to suggest that we spit up. Once I have confirmed this with Gramps, I would like you - Toby and Finn, to take my brothers back home to Jurien Bay. It will be a long trip, as you will be doing a number of flights, to try and confuse the media, but I think we can do this. I will see if Sara can help us.

Simon and I will slowly make our way back to Vanuatu, and stay there to monitor progress with the repairs, then we will crew up again, and sail back to Australia,” I announced to everyone. I grabbed my phone and headed to my bedroom to talk in private to get things organised, exiting twenty minutes later with a set plan in place.

“Right, now later this afternoon, Toby, Finn, Jedd and Neale, you will all fly back to Wellington, where you will meet up with Sara and Oscar. From there, Toby and Finn, you will fly to Singapore, leaving at 8.45 tonight, arriving at 6.40am tomorrow morning. You then have 21 hours for shopping before you leave Singapore at 3.30am to fly to Perth, arriving at 8.40am day after tomorrow night. Both flights are business class, so maybe dress up a little to fit in. You are booked into a hotel, so you can get some sleep before the second flight.

“Neale and Jedd, you will be flying with Sara and Oscar, and you guys will be boarding a flight at 3.55pm this afternoon, bound for Darwin, arriving at 12.30am tomorrow. You are booked into a family suite at a hotel so you can get some sleep and do some sight-seeing, then you have a 6.55am flight the next day, direct to Perth, arriving at 9.25am, where Isaac and Gramps will pick up all seven of you at the airport and drive you up to Jurien Bay,” I announced to everyone.

“Wow that was a lot to organise in just a short time,” Simon said to me with a smile.

“I am getting quite good at it now,” I replied.

“So, what about us? How are we getting back to Vanuatu?” Simon asked me.

“I thought we would buy a couple of kayaks and paddle there,” I replied with a straight face. The shocked look on Simon’s face was priceless, as Toby and Finn burst out laughing, and were soon rolling on the floor, not able to stop laughing.

“Not funny, Guys. That is definitely not on,” Simon said in an annoyed manner at the lad’s antics, and I couldn’t help but chuckle too, while my brothers not fully understanding the joke, just smiled.

“Ok, Guys, go and pack, as we fly back to Wellington at 1215 this afternoon, so you can all catch your international flights,” I announced to everyone, and everyone scattered to their rooms, except Simon, who stood still staring at me.

“I haven’t worked out our bit yet. Let’s just get the others safely away first, then we can worry about us,” I said to Simon, and he headed off to his apartment, while I went down to the office to announce that we were checking out early, so as to travel south, to see some friends. This was a diversion in case they caught on who we were. Catching a taxi to the airport, we caught the domestic flight to Wellington, where Sara and Oscar were waiting for us.

“Thanks for doing this for us again. We really do appreciate this,” I said as soon as we met up with them.

“That’s fine. I have always wanted to get a free trip and holiday to Darwin and Perth, and Oscar is really looking forward to it,” she replied with a big smile. After handing Sara an envelope for spending money, I said goodbye to my brothers, and promised that we would see each other again in a few months’ time, once the yacht was repaired and we were able to sail back home. They followed Sara and Oscar to the International Terminal, to catch their flight to Darwin.

With them gone, I suggested that we not be seen together, as the media might spot us, so Si and I said goodbye to our friends, and wished them a happy holiday in Singapore, and safe trip home to Perth. Simon and I also split up, agreeing to meet up at 6pm at the Lowry Bay Yacht Club, on the other side of the harbour, north of Wellington, where we hoped to find a ride back to Fiji or Vanuatu. I had decided to go directly there, so I could spend the afternoon looking into ways of getting to our destination. So, arriving shortly after 3pm I went straight to the Yacht club, and to the bar.

“I’m sorry, but you look too young to order a drink?” the barman said as I approached.

“All I want is an orange juice and some sailing information please” I stated as I arrived at the bar, where a number of patrons were seated.

“That will be fine. Steve, just bring it over to the table,” a gentleman said and smiling to me he motioned to follow him to a remote table, well away from the bar.

“Welcome to Lowry Bay, Mr Hamilton. I am the commodore of the yacht club. Andrew Myers is my name,” the gentleman said.

I was a little surprised, and when I saw the barman arrive with my drink, I decided to wait.

“Steve, this is to remain a club secret. Not a peep out of anyone about our guest,” the commodore said to the barman, who nodded his head in understanding and returned to his duties. “You have made the afternoon newspapers. Your picture is on page three,” the commodore said to me. The barman returned with a copy of the newspaper and disappeared again.

Picking up the paper, I turned it to page three, and there was a clear photo of me and Simon standing on the fly bridge as we were coming in to Port Vila. “Bugger, that was something I was hoping not to happen,” I said softly.

“What may I ask have you done with the rest of your crew?” the commodore asked me.

“I have made arrangements for all of us to go in three different directions. My first mate and I are hoping to slip out of Wellington, either tonight or tomorrow,” I replied, as I started to read the article.

Last Frontier Skipper – Anton Hamilton, and his crew are believed to be in hiding somewhere on the South Island of New Zealand after they were spotted on the late-night ferry from Wellington to Picton yesterday. The skipper and his first mate and best friend, Simon Adamson, are both from a coastal town, two hours north of Perth, Western Australia, where their charter business is based. It is not known why they were sailing so far away from home, but our sources have learnt that the charter company has hosted British actress Mimi Fenton and her family on more than one occasion. The damaged yacht is currently stored in a locked boatyard in Port Vila, Vanuatu, where the damage it sustained is being assessed”.

My phone rang, which made me jump a little, and I smiled when the caller ID said it was Simon. “Hey, Skipper, we are on page three of the newspaper,” Simon said as soon as I answered the call.

“Yes, Si, I have just finished reading the article. The commodore at the yacht club recognised me when I arrived and showed it to me,” I replied.

“I am in a taxi and on my way there now, but I will take a few taxi’s and walk the last bit of the journey. See you in about half an hour,” Simon said to me and he ended the call.

“I am presuming that you are wanting to find a quiet way out of Wellington and New Zealand, maybe in the direction of some islands north of here?” the commodore asked me and I nodded my head in the affirmative. “Leave it with me, I will see if I can find something for you. You are welcome to stay here in the clubhouse. I will be back soon,” the commodore said with a smile and he disappeared to another part of the club house.

About twenty minutes later the barman delivered another orange juice and I gave him a $50 Australian note. “Keep the change,” I said to him, and he dashed off back to the bar.

“Mr Hamilton? I am Charmaine Lockwood. The commodore mentioned that you are looking for passage to Fiji?” a lady with a strong Canadian accent said to me. I turned to face her with a big smile.

“Yes, Ma’am. My best friend and I are on an adventure holiday, and would appreciate a lift as far as Fiji,” I replied.

The lady laughed, and sat down on the chair opposite. “I know who you are, young man, so no need to give a side story, and it so happens we have mutual friends – Vic and Rita,” the lady said to me with a big smile.

“Holy cow, I mean… I’m sorry, Ma’am. It’s just that it is quite a coincidence to meet like this,” I explained.

Mrs Lockwood smiled. “That is quite alright, Anton, if I may call you that.”

“Yes, Ma’am. We are happy to pay for the journey or we can work for you. Either way is fine by us,” I said to the lady, just as I spotted Simon entering the building. I raised my hand and waved till he spotted me.

“Mrs Lockwood, this is my first mate and best friend, Simon Adamson. Si, this is Mrs Lockwood, who happens to know Vic and Rita,” I said making the introductions.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ma’am,” Simon replied giving the lady a soft hand shake.

“Rita told me you two boys are real charmers,” Mrs Lockwood said with a small laugh, as Simon sat down, and the barman appeared at the table.

“Two orange juices, and what would you like, Ma’am?” I announced.

“I will have the same, thank you,” Mrs Lockwood said and the waiter returned to the bar.

Once the barman had delivered the drinks and left again, Mrs Lockwood looked around then spoke to us. “As soon as it is dark, come down to our yacht. It’s at berth 37. We will be setting sail at first light tomorrow, and you won’t need to work. We are honoured to have you as our guests,” Mrs Lockwood said to us.

“At least allow us to pay for our meals and drinks while we are on board,” I suggested and Mrs Lockwood agreed to that request.

“When Vic and Rita heard that the Last Frontier had been reported lost in a storm north of Hawaii, they called us to ask us to keep an ear out for your whereabouts. I had just finished talking to them, before coming here to meet you. They wanted me to tell you that they are relieved that you are all alive and well, and not to scare them like that ever again,” Mrs Lockwood said. Simon and I chuckled at the last bit of the message.

“I must remember to give them a call when the time is right,” I commented, and Simon nodded in agreement.

Once Mrs Lockwood had left to return to her yacht, Simon and I chatted about how lucky we were to find a yacht owner who knew Vic and Rita, and also to give us passage to Fiji. The barman showed us to a private club lounge where we could relax and watch a little television, but there wasn’t much on so we turned it off, and I decided to give Vic and Rita a call.

“Ah, my two lost sailors found again,” Rita said when she answered the call, and we both chuckled at this, as we had the call on loud speaker.

“Thanks for the royal ticking off. We received the message just a short time ago,” Simon said to Rita.

“We are just glad that you boys are ok. What were you doing in Hawaii anyway?” Vic asked us.

“We had a charter from Fremantle to Hobart, then we sailed over to New Zealand, so as to sort some stuff of Mum’s. As you know, we had Kirk and Leon with us as far as Hobart, before they flew home for a holiday, which changed to work, and my two brothers, Simon, Toby and Finn for the charter from Wellington to Honolulu,” I explained.

“Are your brothers ok? Did they get hurt during the storm?” Rita asked sounding concerned.

“No, they stayed below, and Simon and I just battled it out in the main bridge. There is a story in today’s paper, which pretty much explains it all,” I explained.

“Yes, Charmaine has sent us a photocopy of it and the previous article to us. So, what are your plans now? Charmaine says you are hitching a ride back to Fiji,” Vic asked.

“Yes, just me and Simon. The others are going in different directions home, so as to avoid the media, but after seeing today’s article, I can’t help worry about what is waiting for them in Jurien Bay,” I replied.

“Maybe you better call Jasper, and get him to set up some security for your family, till it all blows away,” Rita suggested.

“I will do that. Nice talking to you both again, and say hi to Kirk and Leon for me please,” I replied.

“We don’t know what they are doing. We thought they were still with you guys, till you just told us,” Rita said.

“Oh, they told me that you guys had offered them jobs, while they were on their holidays at home in Canada. The little liars,” I said a little annoyed.

“Leave it with us. We will contact their parents, and get the real story. Great talking to you boys again. Take care now, and no silly risks. Bye for now.”

When it was nearing dark, we asked for directions to berth 37, and after thanking the commodore for his hospitality, and leaving a good size donation to the club, we made our way down to the yacht marina.

Copyright: June 2017. Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved
  • Like 42
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

B)................Well that was interesting, so Kirk and Leon lied, I wonder what was up with that? I'm glad he shipped his step-brothers back home, they don't need the danger and drama, and they certainly have enough 'story telling' to tell their classmates to make them popular and entertained for ages. So Simon and Anton plan on sailing back to Australia on their own without any more help aboard, good luck with that! Maybe that's where Kirk and Leon come aboard. Great Chapter!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I was disturbed to find that Leon and Kirk had lied.  However, things like that do indeed happen in real life.  
 

I look forward to seeing the story as it progresses.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The more the mystery and hiding, the more the media frenzy. The best way to handle it is to control the press release and take the fifteen minutes of fame. I can see a movie coming out of it though.

 

I can't help wondering where Kirk and Leon went and why they lied. It seems very out of character for them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Quokka this was another great chapter. It's to bad all of the crew had to separate to try to avoid the media. Although that doesn't appear to be the case as both Anton and Simon's pictures were in the newspaper so they're having to sneak around in order to keep out of sight. I'm glad that Vic & Rita were lucky enough to have a friend who happens to have a yacht berthed at the yacht club marina, she has agreed to take Anton and Simon to Fiji quietly. I can't believe that Kirk and Leon lied to Anton about going back to work with Vic and Rita. I hope that they can avoid the media and that no other articles appears in the paper, they can't seem to catch a break from the media, it was also told that the yacht had been chartered by Mimi Fenton and her family on a few occasions. That information shouldn't have been given to the media, I wonder who's giving this information to the media and I hope that Anton can find them and get them to stop giving information about the yacht and crew members as that is something that shouldn't be in the news. Can't wait for more chapters on the adventures of the Last Resort and her crew. Thanks for writing this great story, I look forward to reading more stories from you in the future. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

At least Anton had the sense to split the crew up to avoid the media storm. Wonder why Kirk and Leon lied. Another cliffhanger, hurry with the next chapter.

Link to comment

 Can't really see any point in this protracted and costly media avoiding charade. Do one press conference, and it'll all blow over quickky, no harm done. A yacht reported missing and re-surfacing again isn't big news....

As to reporting about the Fentons - Anton blabbed that loudly in Portobello for all and sundry to hear....

Curious abou the Leon-Kirk story!

 

- and yes, one would normally use the winches to move a boat over land.....much more power! 

For further adventures I'd recommend handheld GPS devices and a few soate batterries. Wrapped in tin foil and stowed in the oven or microwave the e,ectronic would survive lightning. Also, a yacht this size should have a tub of polyester resin and a few fibreglass mats for repairs. She was so conveniently careened!

Link to comment

Anton has so many fine qualities, but I do not understand his aversion to the press. Wouldn't this be great PR for his business?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..