Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,322 Words
  • 3,230 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Frontier - 56. FR Chapter 56

“It has four engines and two generators, 100 thousand litres fuel storage, two retractable bow thrusters, a cruising speed of 40 knots, and a range of 600 nautical miles, with four decks including the two hulls,” I said to Simon, giving the details that I had soaked in earlier in the day. I could see that Simon was really interested in this.

“Austal have a vessel that is build complete, but it has not been fitted out with furniture and fittings, and since I have expressed an interest in buying a vessel from them, they will complete all of the engine and generator rooms and the bridge, and wait for my decisions on how I wanted the rest fitted out. I have already put a deposit down, so it is pretty much a done deal,” I announced.

“Well as soon as we get out of this mess, I’m coming down to Henderson with you to check it out, and maybe help you decide on any changes,” Simon said with a smile. Once we had washed down the snorkelling gear and packed it away, we went to our cabins to have a shower and change. When I returned to the main deck, I heard the boys talking and laughing up on the fly deck, so I went up there to see them.

Jasper was sitting on a chair reading a book, while the boys were splashing around, and I sat down next to Jasper. “I hope that all of this hoo-ha ends quickly, as I would very much like to get back to a normal life again,” I said to Jasper, who smiled.

“You have a normal life? That’s highly likely, when you are the owner of a big Trimaran yacht,” Jasper responded.

“Yes, I guess you are right there. I just want all the death and destruction to end,” I replied.

“How was the snorkelling? You guys were out there a long time,” Jasper asked me.

“It was awesome. There is so much marine life out here,” I replied happily.

“I had a long chat with Anita, and she has been informed by the AFP, that they have made some progress with this case, with the assistance of Interpol in Europe, the FBI and CIA in the USA and Scotland Yard and MI5 in the UK. She said that she will keep an eye out on your place, while you guys are away from home,” Jasper said to me.

Over the next couple of days, we settled into a routine. Jasper insisted that the boys do school work from 8am to 10am and from 1pm to 3pm each day. Then they can relax in the Jacuzzi or walk around the island, or swim in the shallows of the water. “It’s like being marooned all over again,” Simon said to me on our third day on the island. I was beginning to dislike it a lot and I think Simon and Jasper had noticed this.

After lunch, while Simon was supervising the boys up on the fly deck, I went for a long walk on the island, following the coast of the island all around. After three laps, Jasper joined me, and we walked silently for a while. “I know you are very unhappy with this situation, and that you and the boys would like to have a normal life. I will call Anita, and see if we can get an update, and see if we can reassess this situation,” Jasper said to me. I stopped and looked at Jasper and sadly nodded my head in understanding.

“Can you do something for me please? Can you be the boys legal guardian, until I am old enough to take on that responsibility? With Gramps in hospital, I just can’t really handle anything like that right now,” I said to Jasper, who looked at me carefully before he smiled.

“Sure, mate. I would be honoured to do that for you,” Jasper replied, as he continued to walk. By the end of the day after a lot of thought, I had come to a decision, and as we sat down for dinner that night, I picked at my food as I thought about how to announce this to everyone at the table.

“I have something to say,” I started which received everyone’s attention. “I know that we have been put into danger, with this information that the boys’ father discovered earlier this year, and we have lost family members as a result. I have decided that I will not be afraid any more. As of tomorrow Jedd and Neale, you will be under the care of Jasper. I have arranged for a charter plane to pick me up at East Wallabi Island airfield to take me to Geraldton, and I will fly down to Perth, where I will be attending college to complete my high school education.

“Simon, I think you are ready to take your Skipper’s Ocean and Coastal Ticket, and I hope that you will take over as skipper of the trimaran. You can do coastal charters to Exmouth and return, but you will have to find new crew, as Toby and Finn are now part of Jasper’s permanent crew, so as to allow Jasper to do charters from Fremantle to Jurien and return, plus Fremantle to Albany and return. Simon, when the trimaran arrives, you might like to try and convince Kirk and Leon to stay, and be your crew.

“I will come home on occasions, but for now I wish to concentrate on completing my high school education, and go on to university, and for now I wish to do it on my own,” I announced to everyone. I stood up and left the table, and headed upstairs to the fly deck, to do some more thinking.

“That is quite an announcement you made at dinner. Are you sure about all of this?” Simon said when he came upstairs about half an hour later.

“Yes, I am. I need you to keep the charter business going, to help fund my university studies, and to keep my brothers fed, clothed and educated. I hope you don’t mind me announcing this before talking to you first,” I replied.

“All is good, and I am honoured that you are making me skipper of the Last Frontier. I will do my very best to keep the charters going,” Simon replied.

“That is good to hear. I am going to offer my house to Jasper and family as a home, rent free, so the boys can stay in their bedroom, and not be shuffled around. They have had too many disruptions already in their life. I presume that you will prefer to remain living on board the Last Frontier?” I replied to Simon.

“Yes, I think that would be best. So, for security purposes, what do you want to do with all the money that is in the safe at the moment?” Simon asked me.

“Bank most of it. Just leave enough there to cover food and wages costs for you and the lads,” I said to Simon who smiled and nodded his understanding. We sat on the fly deck for the next hour just enjoying the cool breezes of the evening, before we headed downstairs. I went to speak to my brothers. They were upset that I was leaving them, and I reassured them that I would come back regularly to see them, and that I loved them.

Once the boys had settled and gone to sleep, I found Jasper sitting in the study. “What time is the plane coming to collect you?” Jasper asked me, as I sat down in a chair.

“I have asked for it to be 0800 hours, so I guess it will take us three hours to get to East Wallabi Island,” I replied.

“Ok, I will set sail at 0430 so we can get there on time, so I better get to bed to get some sleep,” Jasper said as he stood up and headed to his cabin.

The next morning, I woke up when I felt the yacht moving, and I showered and dressed, before packing my two suitcases, which included the laptop from the trimaran, which I had had since Fiji. Once I was done, I wrote a note for Simon, asking him to take good care of the trimaran yacht, and to use one of the educational laptops in the study as the new Yacht’s laptop. I also added the 8-digit code for the safe, and reminded him to deposit most of the money in the safe into the company bank account.

I placed the note in the microwave in the galley, knowing that Simon would eventually find the note, and leaving my suitcases in the study, I made myself some toast and two cups of tea, which I took up to the galley, handing one cup to Jasper. “Good morning, Skipper. Looks like we have favourable winds this morning,” I said with a smile as I started munching on my toast and vegemite.

“That it is, Anton? That it is! Are you really sure about this? We don’t want to be getting a phone call from Anita in the middle of the night, to say you’re injured or killed,” Jasper said to me.

“I will be fine mate. Try not to worry about me. Just concentrate on your step son and my brothers, and all will be good.

“I know you and your family are currently living in police issued housing, but I would like to offer you and your family, and my brothers a better alternative,” I said to Jasper, before placing the house key in his hand. “It’s yours to use rent free. Just pay the power and gas bills. Water is free with the water bore on the property. Just send me the shire rates when they come, and I will pay that for you. The boys can have a bedroom each, with you and Anita having the master.

“Simon will remain on the Last Frontier when it arrives, and he is going to ask Kirk and Leon to stay, to be crew for him, as I have told Simon that Toby and Finn are your crew,” I said to Jasper, who looked a little stunned.

“Anita will be thrilled to have such a large house to live in, and being out of town too, makes it even more enjoyable for her, as she will have no noisy neighbours to worry about, especially during the tourist season and long weekends. Thank you, Anton. That is very generous of you.

“I have already informed Anita about taking guardianship of your brothers, and she is fine with that. Her only worry was finding enough room for them in our current home, but that’s all sorted now. Thanks again,” Jasper said happily, as we sailed north towards our destination.

“I am hoping that by the end of next week, you will be able to return to the mainland, and continue with your charters. Vic, Rita and the lads will be back a few days after that, and everyone can get back into a normal routine,” I said to Jasper after a long period of silence.

“I hope so too, Anton, as I have been getting plenty of enquiries for charters,” Jasper replied.

A couple hours later, Jasper was sailing the catamaran around the west side of West Wallabi Island, stopping about half way along the northern side, and as Jasper had the yacht facing into the wind, I pulled down the sails, while Simon prepared the dinghy for departure. With my luggage and myself loaded on board, I waved goodbye to the boys and Jasper. We motored our way to nearby East Wallabi Island, where Simon dropped me off on the northern beach, just 300 metres from the end of the runway.

Simon sped off back to the yacht, so as not to attract any attention from the fishermen on the neighbouring smaller islands, and with my two suitcases in hand, I set off down the track to the end of the runway, where I sat and waited for half an hour before I heard the plane approaching. It circled and landed on the runway. Once we were loaded, we took off and as we turned for the mainland, I could see the sails of the catamaran, as it was sailing southwards. Once at Geraldton Airport, I remained in the small terminal, for the arrival of the flight from Perth, which would take me to the capital city.

I hadn’t been to the apartment in East Perth, since before mum was killed, and I had contacted the real estate agents yesterday, to get them to organise a cleaning company to give it a good clean before my arrival. I was informed that the apartment had been leased on a short-term basis, over the past three months, and that it was currently vacant, so I asked them to make it unavailable for the remainder of the year.

I had arranged to study at a nearby adult education college, to get me up to date with my studies, and although the college was in their third week of the second semester, I would be permitted to attend classes, and hopefully catch up. It was just after lunch time when I finally arrived at Perth Domestic Airport. I caught a taxi to the suburb of Victoria Park, just over the river from the city, were the largest grouping of car sales yards were located.

After stopping at a bank, to get a bank cheque and some cash, I spent nearly two hours of searching, before I ended up buying a three-year-old, second hand Toyota Corolla, paying in full with the bank cheque and cash. Once I had stopped off at a service station for some fuel, I headed to East Perth, stopping at the real estate agency to collect the keys, then on to the apartment.

I was pleased to see that the apartment smelt fresh, and looking around the living area, I thought of Mum. She had done a great job of furnishing the apartment, and I looked forward to it being my home for the remainder of the year. Once I had dumped my bags in the master bedroom, I returned to my car and drove to the suburb of Bentley, which is next to Victoria Park, so as to enrol at the adult education college.

Once the enrolment was completed and study fees paid, I did a quick tour of the campus, using the map that I was given, along with suggested stationary supplies that I would need. Leaving the college, I went to the main shopping centre in Victoria Park, and purchased all of the stationary that I needed. I also bought a scanner/printer, printing ink and paper.

Back at the apartment, I emptied my two suitcases, putting all my clothes away, before realising that I had no food. So, I did a quick google search and headed back to Victoria Park to do some food shopping, cursing myself for not thinking of it earlier. Once I had done the shopping and stored it away in the fridge and pantry, I collapsed onto the lounge feeling exhausted from the long day of events. Pulling out my phone I dialled the catamaran yacht sat phone, and it was Simon who answered.

“Hey, bud. I’m just calling to see how things are at your end of the world, and see how my brothers are,” I said as cheerfully as possible.

“Hi, Anton. They miss you already, and now they know it’s you on the phone, they want to talk to you. I will hand it over to them,” Simon said.

“Hi, Anton. We miss you already. Uncle Jas says we will be moving back to the house in Jurien Bay, with Aunt Anita and Nathan. We think that is awesome,” I heard Neale and Jedd say, as they took it in turns to speak and I laughed at this.

“It’s a bit confusing when you guys do that. How about you take it in turns speaking a bit longer, instead of short sentences. Now I have arranged that with Jasper and Anita, as they don’t have the room in their home, and you boys can have your own bedrooms, as can Nathan. Make sure you take it easy around the property, as I don’t want you to get hurt there. Now can I speak to Jasper please,” I said to my brothers.

“Yes, Anton, we will be good. Bye for now,” Neale said and he handed the phone to Jasper.

“Hi Anton. Anita is thrilled about moving to your place. She wants me to build the internal fences, so we can have some pets. She suggests a milking cow, a couple of goats, and chickens. Sounds like I’m not going to get much of a rest between charters,” Jasper said to me and I chuckled.

“That’s what you get for married life. Now have you heard anything from your grandfather about my Gramps?” I replied to Jasper.

“Yes, not long after Simon got back from dropping you off. Your Gramps is recovering well. You were right to send him to the medical centre, as he indeed had a heart attack.

They flew him to hospital in Geraldton, and Isaac went with them. He is staying at a motel while they are there,” Jasper said to me.

“Can you pay the bill using my company credit card? That way Isaac doesn’t have to worry about extra expenses. I will give the Geraldton Hospital a call after this to check on Gramps. I must go now. I have to eat and get to bed, as I have my first day of college tomorrow. Bye for now,” I said and ended the call.

When I called the Geraldton Hospital, and was put through to my Gramps’ room, it was Isaac who answered. “Hello, Isaac. It’s Anton here. How is Gramps going?” I asked right away.

“He is doing good. They did some more tests on him this afternoon, and he may need to have bypass surgery. We will know more tomorrow. My grandson told me you are in Perth to catch up on your studies. Make sure you take care of yourself, Anton,” Isaac replied.

“I will, and thank you for caring so much for my grandfather. Tell Gramps that I have put my brothers under the guardianship of Jasper, until he gets better, or I am old enough to do it, and they will be moving into my house at Jurien Bay. I will keep in touch. Bye for now,” I said and I ended the call with a smile on my face. After I had cooked a light dinner, I had a shower before heading to bed for an early night, since I had a full day of school ahead of me the next day. It was a little difficult settling into a school routine again, and by the end of the day I was fairly exhausted, even though I managed to do well in all the classes.

I was given a stack of homework to do for the weekend, in two days’ time, so I resigned myself to being stuck at home doing school work all weekend. My second day, being a Friday, was similar to my first day. It was a lot of information to absorb, and I finally got the chance to talk to some of my fellow students. The college allowed for students from 16 years upwards, and there were a couple of other 17-year olds at the college, but only one of them was in most of my classes. Observing his dress appearance, he looked like a geek, and he sounded like one when he answered questions in class. He seemed to not be interested in interacting with others in the class.

Copyright: June 2017. Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved
  • Like 46
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I loved the chapter. I hope Anton knows what he's doing because the cartel could still have people around to take care of problems like Anton, Neale, Jedd & Marcus, possibly Simon too. I hope Anton can get caught up with his studies as he's been out of school for a while now. I'm glad that Anton asked Jasper to take over guardianship of Neale and Jedd until either Marcus is well enough to take it on again or until Anton becomes old enough to be their guardian. I hope that Marcus gets better soon as I don't know if Anton could handle another death so soon after his mom's. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Interesting chapter, a big turn of events with Anton walking away from his boat and Simon. But we did find out that he has purchased a ne boat.

Link to comment

For a 17 year old Anton has had a lot on his plate.  It's about time he started thinking a little more about himself and his future.  He's turned out to be very level-headed.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

You're going to hate me for asking. As we've seen, Anton is still a minor. I can sort of see him getting away with buying a car since he paid for it in full. How is he able to contract to buy a ship by himself, even presuming he is acting as an agent for the charter company?

Link to comment

B)................ Extreme changes, I see Anton is trying to put distance between himself and family in case he is still being a target by the cartel, hopefully getting lost in college will help.  He is still pursuing his educational dream maybe more expediently now then before this catalyst of danger appeared. Anton maybe a minor, but his financial status quo is like 'money talks, bullshit walks. I don't see any problems with Anton buying high price items.  Great chapter!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..