Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,708 Words
  • 2,930 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Indian Ocean Invasion - 12. IOI Chapter 12

“My name is Lewis, not Mr Lewis, and thank you, I did a degree in Asian studies, and chose Japanese as the main language to study” I replied, as I assisted them both into the Rib boat, before retrieving their luggage. “Anata wa kyuits no ryohodesu ka?” I asked after a long period of silence, after we started the journey back to the yacht.

“Yes, we are on vacation for 6 months, and we heard how beautiful the Cocos Islands are, we find them very much like remote islands at home, but warmer” the other lady replied.

We have a total of 8 crew on the yacht, including you both, Pippa is the Lead Steward, so she overseesyou both, and will give you your daily jobs. Peter the Skipper, and his wife Melinda, who is the Chef you will see about the yacht from time to time, the other two are Lachlan and Antonio, who are deck crew.

At dinner, we will all be told who the charter guests are for this trip, which is three days around the many islands of the Cocos Keeling Islands” I informed the ladies, as we were now approaching the yacht, and I slowed down a little, stopping just before the aft landing, where Pippa was waiting for the new arrivals, introduced herself, then lead them inside to show them their shared cabin. While Lachlan helped me with the Rib boat.

When we all sat down for dinner, minus the Captain and Melinda, the new crew members seemed very shy, but I guessed that being because of the new environment, and I knew they would be more sociable later down the track, once they have settled in a bit. On occasions, one of the ladies would ask to explain something once of the other crew members said, and I would translate it into Japanese, then say it in English, so they understood.

When it was time for the crew to head to their cabins, I said “Oyasumi” to the two ladies, and one said Oyasumi, while the other one said goodnight in reply, as I followed the two lads up the stairs to the main deck, “You know fluent Japanese do you?” Antonio asked me, “Yes, I have a degree in Asian studies, and Japanese is the language I chose to study” I replied, as they waved goodnight, and headed down to their cabins.

Once I had done a patrol of the outside of the yacht, I too headed to my cabin, to get a good night’s rest. The second charter went very smoothly, and the new crew members had settled in well, and are very hard workers, which pleased Melinda.

A month later Antonio sadly said farewell, and we managed to find an Australian young man – Mike, to replace him, who agreed to stay for two months, for the remaining 12 charters that are booked.

Before the start of the last charter that was booked for the Cocos Keeling Islands, Peter and Melinda called me to the bridge, while the crew were resting, before taking a well-deserved night off in town. “Lewis, we have called you here because we wanted to let you know what we are planning after this last charter” Peter began, and Melinda continued.

“As you may have already guessed, we have not taken any more booking for charters in this area, mainly because of the continual situation, over at Christmas Island, so we have decided to sail south east to Fremantle, then around the bottom of Australia to Hobart, and back home to New Zealand” Peter said, and there was a period of silence, as they let the news sink in.

“We would love it, if you could join us, for at least part of the journey, whether it be just to Fremantle, or to Hobart, it is entirely up to you” Melinda added, “Can I think about it and let you know please?” I said after some thought, “Yes that is fine, just let us know what you decide, we won’t be leaving till a week after the charters end, as we want to do some maintenance, before we set off towards home” Peter responded.

“Just to let you know, Mike and Pippa have agreed to stay on, as far as Fremantle at least” Melinda said sounding hopeful that I agree, and I nodded my head in understanding before heading downstairs. Retreating to my cabin, to rest for a while, I thought about the offer, and the 3 ½ months that I had spent on the yacht, which I had really enjoyed.

I closed my eyes and has a short nap for a half hour, and when I woke up feeling rested, I decided that an extra few weeks would be just enjoyable, especially when there would only be a basic crew onboard.While the crew were preparing to go out for the night, I headed back to the Bridge, to give my answer.

“Oh, that is wonderful” Melinda said when I told them, “We will be making a few stops along the way, firstly Denham in Shark Bay, then the Abrolhos Islands west of Geraldton, before a short stop at Rottnest Island before arriving in Fremantle, for a few days’ rest, then Esperance, Port Lincoln, and Hobart. I am presuming that you would want to get off there?” Peter announced.

“Yes please, I am sorry I can’t go the full way, but because of my previous work, I have to get special permission to leave the country” I replied.

“Well, that sounds mysterious, but if you require special permission, we can guess that it has something to do with high security matters” Melinda said, “yes, but I can’t say any more than that” I replied, “Ok, that is fine, lets drop the subject, we are pleased that you are coming with us as far as Hobart at least” Peter said happily.

“You mentioned that we are stopping at Fremantle for a few days?” I asked, “Yes, why is that?” Peter responded, “Well I need to finalise my discharge from the Navy, that is all” I replied.

“That’s fine, if you need a few extra days to sort that out, that is fine with us” Melinda answered. I was pleased how things were going with my current plans, I had spoken to my half-brother and nephew a few times during the few months that I had been working on the yacht, and I had spoken to Margaret and Kylie every second or third day, but I did not mention what I was hoping to do, now that I was being discharged.

The final charter was finally over, and we had seen Mike, Sumiko and Yoshe off at the airport, Mike and Pippa went into town to spend a couple of days enjoying themselves, while I just relaxed on the fly deck of the yacht, while reading books, and catching up on emails, plus watching the latest news on what is happening on Christmas Island.

The most recent news was that the residents had been released from the detention centre, and that tourists were flocking onto the island from Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, the Middle East and even China, and that people from the Philippines and Indonesia were moving permanently to Christmas Island.

Other news stated that the Phosphate mine has been expanded, with it now double in size, and sending the mined products to all over Asia, and that even with the Australian Embargo on Indonesia, it is doing without the Australian tourists, and finally that the three Buddhist temples on the Island are closed, and that a large Muslim mosque has been built near the airport.

Meanwhile, the Australian government was putting pressure on the United Nations to act on all this illegal activity on the Australian Territories – Christmas Island, while also assisting the Chagos citizens to return to their home land, and building new houses, roads, schools, local government buildings, a small hospital and other essential services.

As this is happening, the United States government is protesting about allowing civilians to live on the surrounding Chagos Archipelago Islands, because it is a threat to their national security on the island of Diego Garcia.

On our last day on the Cocos Keeling Islands, I unexpectantly received an urgent registered letter from the Australian Admiralty, from the Fleet Commander himself. “By order of the Prime Minister of Australia and Her Excellency the Governor General, you are here by appointedAdministrator of the Territory of the Chagos Archipelago, and Deputy Administrator of the Australian Indian Ocean Territories, to be based at Diego Garcia.

Your role will be to administer the construction of the community of Chagos on the other islands of the Archipelago, and to inform and monitor the United States Department of Defence, with their packing up and departure from Diego Garcia, to allow the arrival of a joint Australian and British defence force base. Signed Admiral of the Fleet, Royal Australian Navy”.

I was standing just outside the post office, when I read this and sat down heavily, forgetting to see if there was a seat behind me, which there wasn’t, so I ended up landing heavily on my backside and eventually laying on my back, still staring at the letter. “What on earth are you doing on the ground, Lewis?” I heard a women’s voice say, and eventually snapping out of the shock, I saw Melinda standing there.

“Oh, I thought there was a bench seat behind me when I needed to sit down, I guess there wasn’t” I replied, blushing with embarrassment, and I struggled to my feet. “Anything important?” Melinda asked, “Err yes, kind of, but first I need to speak to the commander on the Frigate in port, I will let you both know what is happening, once that is done” I replied with a small smile, as I walked off towards the taxi rank, just as my phone rang.

“Your Excellency, this is Commodore Jeffery Holland, onboard the HMAS Exmouth, we have just arrived in the inner harbour of the Cocos Keeling Islands. I presume you have received your letter informing you of your new position?” the voice on the phone said to me, “Yes sir, only a few minutes ago actually, I am still a bit shocked and surprised by it all” I replied.

There is a boat on its way to collect you from the towns’ main jetty, I will see you shortly, Good bye” the senior Navy officer informed me before handing up. Jumping into the taxi, I asked the driver to take me to the main jetty asap, and we dashed through town, before arriving at the jetty a few minutes later.

After paying the driver and thanking him for a prompt service, I walked to the awaiting boat, with five Navy sailors onboard, and as I approached I was given the Official salute, as I stepped down onto the boat and sat down, still in a daze at what is happening.

In the harbour, apart from the now two Collins class Submarines, there are now two Anzac class Frigate, two Armidale class Naval patrol boats, a Naval replenishment ship and a Canberra class Helicopter landing ship, seven Naval ships in total in one area, which is unheard of for this region, and all were anchored in the middle of the bay, away from the main traffic of the ferries and yachts.

The boat I was on, was heading for the biggest of the boats, the Canberra class ship, and as we approached, I saw that a large number of the ships company were on parade for my arrival, and I was given all the bells and whistles of an official visit, including a one-gun salute, using one of the smaller guns on the ship, which I was pleased about as they are damn loud, when they are fired.

As I stepped onboard and saluted to the ships flag, I approached the large number of senior Naval officers, a Commodore, three Captains, two Commanders and a handful of Lt Commanders and Lieutenants, and I snapped to attention and saluted to them, since I was not yet officially discharged from the Navy.

Lewis Shaw VC, DSC, I hear by award you the promotion of Commander, and discharge you from full time service in the Royal Australian Navy, but you are to remain in the Naval Reserves for the five-year period of your new position as His Excellency the Administrator of the Territory of the Chagos Archipelago, as ordered by her Excellency the Governor General of Australia.

It is ordered by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, on the recommendation of Her Excellency the Governor General of Australia, that you receive the CVO - Commander of the Royal Victoria Order, for distinguished service to the Commonwealth Realm, congratulations Commander” the Commodore announced to me, as there were three cheers given for my awards.

After the award ceremony, I was lead to the main conference room on the ship, so I could be briefed on what would be happening now. For the next two hours, I was given a fully security briefing on what would be happening for the first few weeks, of which the first five days, will be spent sailing to the Chagos Islands, onboard the Helicopter Landing Ship, which is stocked up with building supplies, and machinery, to assist with the construction of the new communities.

One Submarine, the Naval Replenishment Ship, which is also stocked up with supplies, and one Frigate, will travel to Diego Garcia, to establish the first Australian Defence base on the island. I was also informed, that the USA Defence Base will receive a message from the USA mainland Naval Command, that we are on our way to Diego Garcia, to take over control of the base.

Further to the earlier notice of eviction, given to the USA Defence Forcein Washington, a month ago, they now have just two remaining weeks to get off the island, with all 2,500 civilian contractor workers to be off the base before the Australian Navy arrives. This meant the nearest US bases in the region, are now located in the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait and Singapore.

I was also informed that the USA was trying as hard as possible to reverse this decision, but threats of closing the joint bases in Exmouth, Geraldton and Pine Gap, was enough to stop their protests of being evicted from Diego Garcia. When I expressed a concern for lack of appropriate clothing for my new appointment, the Commander present chuckled.

“As it happens, a certain young lady, who has access to your home, has packed a number of bags for you, which include a number of new business suits, and a variety of clothing, shoes and boots, to last you out for the rest of the year at least”, the Commander informed me, pointing to several suitcases and bags stacked in the corner of the room, that I hadn’t noticed before.

“I will be sure to thank Kylie, when I speak to her next sir” I responded with a big smile. After the briefing, I was transported to the yacht to collect my belongings, before returning to the ship.

When Peter and Melinda saw the naval transport boat approaching, with six sailors and myself onboard, they didn’t know what to expect. “Can we go to the bridge, I have a few things to inform you, before I have to return to the ship” I said to Peter and Melinda, as I stepped onboard, and lead the way upstairs to the Bridge.

Once the door was closed I took a deep breath and let it out before beginning. “Peter and Melinda, I am sorry, but my plans have changed, I am needed for an important mission, and I have to remain on the ship, the big one that you see over there, I have been promoted to a full Commander, and I have been given new orders, that I cannot go into for security reasons. I am sorry I am not able to join you on the cruise back to the mainland, and I wish you all the best for the future” I said to my two former bosses.

Copyright August 2018, Preston Wigglesworth, All rights are reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 8
  • Wow 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

This was a totally unexpected, but pleasant twist to the story. It will be a big change for Lewis and he will be doing things he has never done or considered.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

WOW this is  rather great . It certainly does look great and I think that he is going to be involved in getting the invasion idiots off the island.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I think it came as quite a shock to Lewis when he first read the letter informing him of his new duties and the promotion to Commander from Lt. Commander as well as being appointed to the position of Administator of the Territory of the Chagos Archipelago and Deputy Administrator of the Australian Indian Ocean Territories based at Diego Garcia. After he fell on his ass while wanting to sit down on a bench that wasn’t there Melinda found him a few moments later and asked why he was on his back, he informed her that it was a very important letter.

 He said that he would explain things once he gets a few things cleared up. Before Lewis was even fully in the cab his phone rang the person on the other end said that a boat would be at the main jetty when he got there, explaining that he was expected immediately aboard the main frigget anchored in the harbor. While on the boat going to where he was going he noticed there were 7 Australian Navy Vessels anchored in the harbor. Once on board the ship he was first taken to a place on the ship at which time he was given two more medals after that he was taken to a conference room where he was given more information about his new assignment. After he finished there he was taken back to the yacht to explain his new assignment as much as he could explaining that he wouldn’t be able to continue the journey to the last port in Australia that they were going to. He also said that he couldn’t tell them anything more about his new assignment due to security reasons and he then went to get the rest of his belongings from his cabin. I look forward to reading more about Lewis and his new assignment.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

 

Appointed Deputy Administrator of Australian Indian Ocean Territories on Diego Garcia -- all you have to do is kick the Americans off and Administrator of the Chagos Archipelago which is primarily a bunch of reefs. It all sounds grand, but the proof of the pudding is in the flavor.

  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Well I am awfully glad that he got this promotion. So cool this is just a brilliant story that I am very much enjoying:yes:

Thanks so much for sharing it!:thankyou:

See the source image

Canberra class ship

Edited by Albert1434
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..