Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,600 Words
  • 2,652 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Indian Ocean Invasion - 31. IOI Chapter 31

“Yes, I was one of the museum guides for about seven years before the invasion, and manager of the museum for the past three years, as I am the longest serving guide for the museum, most of the guides only lasted for one or two years” the lady replied.

“I am sure the local council is very appreciative of your service” I commented, “thankyou sir, but it is actually a Federal Government building, so the local council has nothing to do with it.

I just received a message to say that a new administrator has been appointed by the Governor General and asked me to manage getting the house restored and in working order, with new furniture and appliances” the lady explained. “I see, so you have been a long-term resident on the island, Mrs…” I asked.

“It’s Mrs Grace Masters, yes my husband was a supervisor on the phosphate mines, until he was badly injured 4 years ago, and he died of lung cancer a year later. I have no children, and my sister lives in Adelaide, so I don’t see her much, but we do keep in touch once a month. I do some cleaning to keep me busy, plus working here, I love it on this island, and I doubt if I will leave” Grace replied.

“Well thank you for that information Grace, have a nice afternoon, goodbye” I said as I turned and headed back to my vehicle, and drove back towards the settlement, admiring the view of Flying Fish Cove.

I called into the supermarket, and bought some breakfast foods, milk, sugar, teabags and some fresh fruit, before heading back to the villa, where it was a little cooler inside, since I left the fan going at a medium speed, to get rid of the hot air.

It was getting late in the afternoon, and the humidity was starting drain away my energy, so I sat down at the dining table and set up my new computer, before retrieving my briefcase, and pulling out the manila folders that I have, with information of what has been happening on the island, since the invaders had left.

In the folders were monthly reports from the federal police, that are stationed on the island, reporting on the activities of the illegal Indonesian residents, as well as activities at the phosphate mine, which is now in Australian hands, and is operational again, after 3 months of repairs, due to damage caused by the invaders.

I also have monthly reports from the Australian National Parks Service, on the full extent of damage caused by the expansion of the mining during the invasion, and the clearing of forest, to make way for the Indonesian village at South Point. What caught my attention, was the words treehouse, halfway down the last page.

“Illegal treehouse, built by unknown persons, located while inspecting the area near Martin Point. Currently claimed by the Australian Army as their main base on the island, on careful inspection of the treehouse.

It is very solidly built, has eco-friendly ablutions, with rooftop solar power panels, and water tanks to collect rainwater. Recommendation to the Director of Australian National Parks, that the treehouse be officially recognised as an Australian Army base, with it being their responsibility for its’ upkeep”.

I grabbed my mobile and dialled Jeremy’s number, “Hi mate, it’s me, can you call me when you get this message, bye” I said leaving a message on voicemail. After reading most of the reports and looking at my copies of the aerial photographs of the island, I locked it back up in the briefcase, and placed it in the wardrobe in my room, for safe keeping.

After a quick shower and change of clothes, I headed into town to find a place to eat, and I decided to check out the Golden Bosun tavern, which looked interesting from the outside. What I found inside was a typical styled tavern, with a separate restaurant away from the quite noisy tavern bar, where there is a large crowd, and some live music.

Heading to the restaurant, I sat down and ordered an LLB and looked at the menu, while waiting for my drink. During dinner, I observed a few families, and some smaller groups of adults dining, in what is quite a pleasant atmosphere, and I drove back to the villa, having enjoyed my evening.

The next morning, after making myself some breakfast, I grabbed my hiking backpack, and set off for a drive to the other side of the island, to check out the cabin sites, to take some photographs. I parked in the main carpark at the end of the road and made the pleasant hike down the walkway to the coast, checking out the lookout first, before backtracking to check the tent sites.

As Jeremy has said, there was absolutely nothing left, except one wall, the toilet, basin and shower. I took a few photos of the site at different angles, before heading to the other two sites, which were identical, which was sad to see.

As I was making my way back to the vehicle, I heard laughter, and I stopped still to listen some more, and to look around. Taking just half a dozen more steps, I was at the tree where the first wine is located, and I unhooked it and swung into the forest to the large fallen tree andsecured the vine.

I stopped and listened, and I could hear faint talking happening, and I looked towards where I knew where the treehouse is located, but I couldn’t quite see anything yet, so I continued on swinging on the next vine until I was directly below the treehouse, where I could hear talking happening above us, as I pulled on the rope that releases the rope ladder.

“What was that noise, I just heard something” I heard one man say when the ladder came to a stop, just above the ground, “Just your imagination” I heard another man say, as I quietly climbed the ladder, and stood up on the veranda, to see a group of Army soldiers gathered around a large table, playing cards.

When I was finally noticed, the man stood up suddenly, knocking his chair to the ground, “who the hell are you and what are you doing here?” the man demanded, as I stepped into the main living area of the treehouse, I looked at his rank band, to see that the man who spoke was a Captain, two ranks down from my equivalent rank.

“At ease Captain, my name is Commander Lewis Shaw, and this was my brothers treehouse, which I have learnt the Army has commandeered” I replied.

“Yes sir, I have heard of you, and about your stay here during the invasion” the Captain replied, I am sorry sir we did not know you were coming” the Captain said.

“Well I am here unofficially, on two weeks holidays, before I take on my new position on the island” I responded, “What is the new position, if I may ask sir” the Captain asked.

“As the new administrator of Christmas Island” I announced, and all the men present stood up and snapped to attention. “It is an honour to meet you sir, and we were lead to believe that you were not arriving for another two weeks… oh I see now” the Captain said with a small smile.

“Yes, I am doing a bit of unofficial snooping to get a real idea of what is happening on the island, so I want no one to reveal that I am already on the island” I said as another two soldiers’ appeared from the other side of the treehouse, one being a Staff Sergeant, and the other was a Major in rank.

“What is going on here, and why are you all standing at attention… who the hell are you” the Major said as he walked up and spotted me.

“Sir, may I present, His Excellency Commander Lewis Shaw, the new Administrator of Christmas Island, and previous occupier of this treehouse” the Captain said to his senior officer, with the Staff Sergeant snapping to attention, but the Major stayed as he was.

From inside my backpack, I retrieved my passport, which for now I was keeping with me at all times, and I handed it over to the Major.

“As I was saying before I was interrupted, I do not want my presence known on the island, until the official starting day of my job, I am here on holidays and also to get an idea of what is happening on the island, is that understood” I continued.

"Yes, sir Mr Shaw” the Major said to me as he handed back the passport, after inspecting it. "Major, you will address me by my rank, which I may remind you is one rank higher than yours, or by my official title.

Even though I have not started work yet, the title is official, by order of our Commander in Chief, His Excellency, the Governor General of Australia” I said angrily, and the Major snapped to attention.

“As you wish sir” the Major snarled back, and I decided to ignore him and turned to the Captain. “I would like you and one junior soldier, dressed in casual clothes to come to the villa I am staying in, for an official briefing at 7pm tonight please, I will have it cleared from the CO at Irwin Barracks before that time.

Thank you for your time Captain” I said to the Captain, “Sir, yes sir” the Captain said as he saluted me, and I turned and climbed back down the ladder, and swung back to the raised walkway.

Once back at the villa, I called the CO at Irwin Barracks, and I was put through to his office straight away. “Commander Shaw, it is good to hear from you, congratulations on your latest awards and your new position, now how may I help you” the Colonel said to me.

“Colonel, I am already on Christmas Island, staying in a villa under my brother’s surname, which is different from mine, doing a snoop around to get a good idea of what is happening on the island, before I officially start work. I have just come back from a visit to the treehouse, which I believe is now the official Army base for the island, and I have met the Platoon of men based there.

The Captain is a very nice officer, and addressed me accordingly, when I informed him of my rank and that I am the new administrator of the island, but when the Major appeared, it was a very different story.

I would like to ask that he be transferred back to the mainland, as I feel his attitude is not suited to this location” I said to the Colonel. “I see, well I will have to speak to his immediate superior, in Sydney about that, and I will let you know, do you still have the same mobile number?” the Colonel responded.

“Yes, Colonel it is the same, and after two weeks time, I can be contacted at my administration office. One other thing, I have asked Captain Watts to select one junior man, and that they come to the villa I am staying in, for a briefing.

I would like to have some Defence personnel as part of my administration staff, and I think Captain Watts will be ideal for the posting, if that is fine by you sir” I stated.

“Yes, that is fine by me, defence personnel are traditionally posted to vice regal offices, so I will just clear it with headquarters in Canberra” the Colonel replied, “thankyou sir, have a nice day” I replied, before ending the call. After the call, I returned to my vehicle, and I went to have a look at the damage cause by the clearing of jungle, to make way for the expansion of mining.

After passing the turnoff to the airport, I arrived at the location, where there ss a small bit of jungle separating the road from the mine, which I found very disheartening, as I continued along the straight road, known as North-South Baseline Road, and when the mine came to an end, it was just before there was a bend in the road.

I decided to continue southwards, to check out the Indonesian village, which I saw when I arrived, were mudbrick cottages, with corrugated iron roofing, there are a few shops and a large mosque near the centre of the village.

The people in the street looked at me strangely as I drove slowly through the main street, which had a few small sides street, before turning around and heading out of the village again.

Taking a different road, I drove through the centre of the island, until I reached the main road that heads to the detention centre, and I turned right, to head back to the settlement, taking a more scenic tour of the island, past Poon Sana, around the north-east corner of the island, heading back to the settlement on Murray Road, which goes up high in the hills, and I could see Tai Jin House in the distance, on the other side of the cove.

When I arrived back at the villa, I started up my laptop and checked my emails, which I had a few, both from my personal email account, but also my official account for my new job, which surprised me a little. The email that stood out the most amongst the list, was one from the office of the Governor General, which I opened.

“Commander Shaw, I have been asked to email you after His Excellency just recently received the resignation of the Indian Ocean Territory Administrator – Ms Emily Jackson.

His excellency is aware that you are already in the region, and he would like to ask for you to take on the role of Administrator of all three island territories, with Christmas Island being your base.

As you are aware, there is a deputy administrator based at Chagos Archipelago, who replaced you earlier this year, so you may need to travel over there only occasionally. I look forward to hearing from you on this matter. Regards, Group Captain A. Travis, Personal Secretary to the Governor General”.

The second email was from the Attorney General of Australia – Canberra, which seemed strange, as I clicked on the email to open it. “Dear Commander Shaw, knowing that you have completed one year of University Law studies by correspondence, a decision has been made, by the senior executive of the Australian government.

To appoint you a Special Magistrate, as possible by the Magistrates Court Act of 1930, to allow for the smooth administration of law and order in the Indian Ocean Territories, along with your appointment as Administrator of Christmas Island.

We hope that you accept this position with our thanks, and we wish you all the best in your new position on Christmas Island. Kind Regards, Hon. P. Yates, Attorney General of Australia”. “Holy cow, what else am I expected to do, this is getting ridiculous” I commented to myself. I was about to open another email, when my mobile rang, which I answered without seeing who was calling.

“Christmas Island Administrators Office, how can I help you” I said, trying to get use to my new position, "Lewis is that you?” I hear a familiar voice ask, “Yes, hi Kylie, how are things on the mainland?” I responded.

Copyright August 2018, Preston Wigglesworth, All rights are reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 9
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Things keep getting piled on Lewis. He certainly ruffled some feathers with his impromptu visit to the tree house. Here's hoping the call from Kylie isn't more administrative crap.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

What else is Lewis going to have to do while he’s the Administrator of Christmas Island and now he’s expected to become the Administrator of the Chagos Archipelago along with Christmas Island. The next email he opened was a complete shock to him as he’s now wanted to be the Magistrate as well as his other duties. I agree that the Major should be sent back to the mainland especially since he doesn’t have the respect of addressing Lewis either by his rank or his title, I’m sure the Captain will make a great asset to Lewis’s staff once he takes over his duties. I think it’s terrible that the invaders made such a mess of the island where it was a very beautiful place before they came and destroyed so much forest land. I hope the call from Kylie isn’t bad news as Lewis still hasn’t heard from Jeremy yet. The thing that I would like to see happen when Lewis takes control is that he has something done about the roads that were made for the Indonesian people who really shouldn’t be there. Another amazing chapter. Thank you Quokka for writing it.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Seems as though Lewis will be a one-stop shop...he'll be responsible for everything!  Will he get the treehouse back for his brother?  Would that even be desirable any more?  Now on to the next chapter!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Another amazing chapter. It seems that Lewis certainly is going to be tough with any person who is underhanded. Time to kick some butt.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hopefully Lewis will find some time amongst the rest of his duties to find some romance? 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Time to kick some butt indeed and Sir Lewis is just the butt kicker that can do it. These last few chapters are going to be a fun read

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Poor Lewis, one nightmare job which has now turned into three. I just hope that thing turn out well for him:yes:

  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..