Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,692 Words
  • 4,523 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Indian Ocean Invasion - 9. IOI Chapter 9

For the next two days, Mitchell and I did all the tourist things around the island, including teaching Mitchell how to scuba dive, which he really enjoyed. On the final day of Mitchell’s stay, we just did some snorkelling in the bay, checking out all the amazing sea creatures that call this island home, before having an early lunch.

Mitchell became quite upset, when it was time to say goodbye at the airport, and I gave him a big hug, and thanked him for spending time with his uncle, which made him smile. “Thank you for looking after me Uncle Lewis, apart from all that was happening on Christmas Island, I still had a good time” Mitchell said to me, before turning and heading through the gate to board his flight to Perth.

Once the plane had taken off, I went for a long walk along the beach, enjoying the tropical warm air and sunshine, and looking out towards the other islands in the group, before heading to the supermarket to get some snacks. “Excuse me, are you Lt Commander Shaw?” a lady who looked to me in her late 40’s with a good tan, and a Canadian accent asked me.

“I am he, but I do not know you?” I replied, “I am sorry, my name is Melinda Linderman, I am 1st mate and cook onboard the yacht Jericho” the lady replied. “How may I assist you Ms Linderman?” I asked, “well, my husband and I own the yacht, and our two crew have suddenly left to go back home, leaving us short of crew, and a three-day charter, starting tomorrow, and I was wondering if you may be able to assist us” the lady said to me.

“Well I have no plans, but I would like to see the yacht and meet your husband first, before I decide” I responded, “That is what I would expect, we are currently anchored just off the main jetty, to collect supplies, so if you can come by in say an hour, you can see the yacht and meet my husband then” the lady said.

I reluctantly agreed, and forgetting all about my shopping, I headed back to the motel. Once there, I went through my clothes, and selected what I would need for a three-day sailing trip, and with a small backpack, I placed the clothes in there, along with my mobile phone, wallet and I Pod, before catching a taxi to the main jetty, where I saw a Sunreef yacht anchored about 50 metres away from the jetty.

I was not sure what model it was, but it looked to be about 32 metres long and 13 metres wide, and after gazing at it for a few minutes, I noticed a small Rib boat heading towards the jetty. Lt CommanderShaw, I am Peter Linderman, co-owner and skipper of the yacht Jericho” the man said to me as he arrived at the jetty. “Hello Mr Linderman, that looks like a good size yacht you have there” I replied as I climbed into the rib boat.

“Call me Peter, and yes she is great, a Sunreef 115 power yacht, with a fly deck and 3 other decks, containing a master cabin, 3 double guest and 1 twin guest cabins, along with the captain’s cabin and 4 single crew cabins, all with their own en-suite bathrooms” the owner said to me, “My name is Lewis Shaw, when not in the Navy, so please call me that, and I look forward to this trip, it has been a while since I have been yachting” I responded, as we set off.

I was pleasantly surprised at how roomy the yacht was, as I stepped onboard and was given a full tour of the yacht, starting with the fly bridge, which has a jacuzzi, lounge and dining area and bar. "Here we have the Captain’s cabin, on this upper deck, and apart from the bridge, there is also a gymnasium and an outside aft deck, upper saloon and two double guest cabins” Melinda said to me.

Next, we headed down to the main deck, “Here we have the main saloon, and formal dining area, then there is the 9-seat cinema, another double guest cabin, and in the centre is my domain, that being the galley, and forward of that is the master guest cabin, while to the aft is the casual lounge and dining area, and the sunbeds, plus a day bathroom.

On the lower deck, port side is the last double guest cabin, and forward of the stairs is two of the crew cabins, and the laundry. On the starboard side, there is the crew mess & galley plus the other two single crew cabins, the aft of the yacht contains two engine rooms, and between them is a sea craft garage, containing the large rib boat you just travelled in, a smaller two-man rib boat, two kayaks and two jet skis” Melinda said ending the tour.

This is quite an impressive yacht you have here, how long have you had her?” I asked, “about three years now, we had a Sunreef 75 before this, which had 1 VIP, 2 Queen and 2 Double guest cabins, plus the owners cabin and 1 twin bunk crew cabin, but the space for guests was a lot smaller in size” Melinda replied.

At that moment Peter arrived, and we all sat down in the saloon lounge, “Right, what we are asking from you is to be the main deckhand and steward, plus if you like you can have a go at piloting the yacht too, since you are fully qualified. I know it is a lot to ask, but we will have to multi task for this trip, you can have the lower deck double guest cabin as your quarters.

Usually I have 3 crew members minimum, plus us two, we lost one crew member last week, due to injury and he flew back home to France.The other two left because they had forgotten to renew their work visas, so they had to leave Australia quickly, I am hoping they will come back next week or soon, if they can get their visas sorted out” Peter said to me.

Some of the Navy wives are here on the island, while this conflict is happening over on Christmas Island, that's how we found out about you, were you over there, on Christmas Island?” Melinda asked me, “Yes, I was actually on holidays before it all started, and only managed to get away yesterday, catching a lift with a Navy submarine” I replied, “Oh goodness, that must have been terrible, when the invasion happened” Peter said.

“I was lucky, I was located in very remote accommodation, and I was able to hide before the invasion force arrived in my area, and with my survival training, I was able to last till I was shipped out yesterday” I explained, “We noticed some sort of parade happening on the ship this morning, are you allowed to tell us about that” Melinda asked, and I smiled, and wondered if I should just say no.

“It was an award ceremony, I was one of the recipients, nothing big” I replied casually as possible trying not to make a big fuss about it, and thankfully they didn’t push me for any more information. Just at that moment, a telephone rang from somewhere, and Peter dashed off to answer it. “This charter tomorrow, starts at 10am, we will moor at the jetty to collect the guests.

The primary guests are a married couple, Jim and Jane, that have a successful real estate company in Sydney, they are in their mid-40’s and have two grown children, one of them - Marc, who is 21, will be joining them. The other guests are friends of theirs, Chris and Tania, also from Sydney and around the same age, and relatives of Jane’s, Liam and Anita from Wellington, New Zealand, who are in their late 40-s” Melinda said to me.

“So, I presume the primary guests will have the master cabin on the main deck, the other two couples will have the two double cabins on the upper deck, and the single guest will have the last double cabin, on the main deck? I asked, “Yes, that is correct, and we don’t have to panic about lack of crew, we have just found three more crew, that will be joining us later this afternoon” Peter said as he re-entered the saloon.

“Thank goodness for that, that means you can concentrate on helping Peter on the bridge and on the deck, while the others can help with stewarding and galley hand” Melinda said. “They are two ladies – Penny and Janine, both from the UK, and Lachlan who is from Scotland, and they are all in their early twenties, we have just a casual uniform here, so no dress whites at all, Melinda will get you your uniform shortly, if you want to start getting use to your new surrounds” Peter said to me.

For the next two hours, I checked every single storage locker, and the sea craft garage, so I was familiar with where everything was, before heading up to the bridge. “All settled in now?” Peter asked me, “Yes thanks skipper, I think I know where everything is” I replied.

“Tell me, do you have any other qualifications apart from being in the Navy?” Melinda asked me, “Yes, well I am a qualified Scuba instructor, I am fluent in Japanese and Malay, I am a qualified paramedic, and helicopter pilot, plus two university degrees, plus a couple of other things that I am not at liberty to say” I replied.

“Oh wow, you are very well qualified, how many years have you been in the Navy for, and have you seen active service” Peter responded, “I joined just before my 18th birthday, so nearly 8 years now, and yes, I have done three tours in Afghanistan, of which I was wounded by an IED on the most recent tour, which I am still recovering from” I replied.

“Oh, we have a real Australian hero onboard, is that what the award presentation was for?” Melinda asked, “Yes, I was awarded the DSC - Distinguished Service Cross, but it was nothing, I was just doing my job, nothing special” I replied, “well it must have been something special, that is quite a high up award, congratulations, and thank you for your service for our country” Peter said, and he held out his hand to shake mine.

There was a period of silence for a while, as we all gazed out the front windscreen of the bridge, “Looks like we might get a thunderstorm tonight, while I am making sure everything is secure, how about you going to collect the rest of our crew, then we can get them settled in for the night, before the guests arrive tomorrow” Peter said to me. “We will put the girls on the starboard side, and the Scotsman on the port side” Melinda added, and I nodded my head in understanding, and set off to get the Rib boat ready.

When I arrived at the jetty, the new crew were already there waiting to be collected, “Good afternoon, I am Lewis, load up your gear, and lets get going before this approaching storm arrives” I said to them, and they quickly carried their luggage down and climbed onboard, and less than five minutes later we were at the yacht, and the new crew climbed onboard.

Once the rib boat was empty again, I opened the garage door and loaded the rib boat back inside, and closed the door, meanwhile Peter was talking to the new crew, “I am Peter and this is my wife Melinda, we are the owners of this yacht, I am the skipper, and Melinda is the chef, young Lewis who brought you here, is the Bosun, so what he says you obey, do you understand? Peter said to the new crew.

“Right, Penny and Janine, you are on the starboard side single crew cabins, Lachlan, you are in the port side single crew cabin, before the laundry, on the forward set of stairs, get settled and meet back here in the main deck saloon in twenty minutes” Melinda added, and the new crew headed off to find their cabins. Once they had disappeared, Peter signalled for me to take a seat.

“Right, now an itinerary of our charter, once we have all the guests onboard, we will head 6 km’s north to Horsburgh Island, which will take about 30 minutes, where we will have a beach picnic lunch on the north side of the island, and give the guests time to explore the island, before we set off 4 km’s to the south East to Direction Island, where we will anchor for the night. We will give the guests the rest of the afternoon to explore the island, and we will have dinner onboard the yacht.

In the morning, after breakfast, we will set off 27 km’s north-north west, to Pulu Keeling Island, this trip will take 2 hours, the island is all National Park, and we will anchor in the tiny bay on the south east corner, which is the best sheltered spot for anchoring, where the guests can spend the rest of the day either exploring the island, soaking up the sun and having fun with the kayaks and jet skis.

On the last morning, we will set off on a south east course around the Cocos Keeling Islands, with a stop at South Island for lunch, and a swim, before arriving back here mid-afternoon” Peter announced, “That sounds perfect to me, I better go and study the navigation maps, so I know where you are talking about” I said with a big grin, and I headed up to the bridge.

When I came back down, to the main saloon, Melinda was handing out duties to the rest of the crew, “… and Lewis will show you Lachlan, what needs to be done outside, which is mainly covering all the outdoor furniture before the storm arrives, and make sure the jacuzzi is ready for use for tomorrow, the rest will have to wait till the morning, once the storm has passed” Melinda said, and I nodded my head and headed outside with Lachlan following.

“So, what part of Scotland to you come from?” I asked the deckhand, “the far north, on a farm, just out of Stromness, on the Orkney Isles” Lachlan replied, “Ok, I haven’t heard of it, I will have to look that up, to see where it is” I commented, as we started covering the outdoor furniture on the Fly bridge.

Once we had done the outdoor furniture on the main deck, I showed Lachlan the garage for all the water craft, and the two store rooms where the outdoor cleaning supplies are kept. “Did you check out the crew mess and laundry on the lower deck” I asked the deckhand, “Eye, and the other empty crew cabin in front of the laundry, where is your cabin?” Lachlan replied.

“I have the small guest cabin on the lower deck, behind your cabin, not just because I am the bosun onboard, I am actually an Australian Naval Officer, on medical leave at the moment” I explained, “Oh, so what rank do you have, and how come you are on medical leave?” Lachlan asked me. “I am a Lt Commander, and I was injured by an IED on my last tour of Afghanistan” I replied.

“Wow, now that I did not expect, sorry to hear that you got injured, so do you have any medals?” Lachlan asked, “Yes two, the main one is the DSC – Distinguished Service Cross” I replied, “Holy hell, that is one of the high-grade medals, so you are a Naval hero, to get that medal” the deckhand said, “No, I was just doing my job, in a difficult situation, and my superiors thought that I deserved it, that’s all” I replied.

Copyright August 2018, Preston Wigglesworth, All rights are reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 8
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

49 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Lewis has been considering this sort of job for his retirement and here is the chance for a three day sample. The only things I don't understand is how Melinda knew his name and rank, recognized him, or knew to approach him. All this information didn't appear out of the blue.

 

Is Ms. Liderman's name Melinda or Margaret? it shifts after the beginning.

Fixed.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Melinda briefly mentions that some of the navy wives had told her who he was and to see him.

 A great chapter. I love the VC. touch. So fitting and rewarding. Can't  but feel his loyal but young nephew was short changed and deserves some reward for helping his uncle in what is way beyond what a boy his age would experience and be expected to do. But he stepped up just like his uncle did and no complaints. 

  The irony and beauty of this part of the story is because of few days together at cocos and Keeling Islands doing the swimming and diving that they had not been able to do on Cook Is, his nephew has headed back home none the worse for his experience of invasion first. This positive experience will no doubt serve him very well in the future and will frame and forge a strong mental attitude with him of self worth and wellness with little or no mental trauma. I believe his close relationship to his Uncle is already so reinforced by their shared experience that he and his uncle will have many experiences together for the greater good, not to mentioned  their own wellbeing.

Edited by Bushman60
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Another awesome chapter, I never expected this turn of events. But it seems that it is going to get very interesting. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Once again my comment about needing a good editor. In my opinion, the author's job is to be creative and the editor is to smooth out any bumps in the narrative and to make sure that the pronouns used are the correct tense and number. A good spell checker like Grammarly can help. but it will not replace a good sharp eye for detecting such errors as homophones.

A super story -- keep up the good work!

Mister Will

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, Will Hawkins said:

Once again my comment about needing a good editor. In my opinion, the author's job is to be creative and the editor is to smooth out any bumps in the narrative and to make sure that the pronouns used are the correct tense and number. A good spell checker like Grammarly can help. but it will not replace a good sharp eye for detecting such errors as homophones.

A super story -- keep up the good work!

Mister Will

Will, as I mentioned before, I do have an editor, and proof reader, who are from the Uk, and even I miss the odd error. The spell and grammar checker is in Uk English, not American...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

That's OK, after reading many stories on GA I am quite at ease with the British, so the only thing that you as the author might want to look out for is homophones.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

That's OK, after reading many stories on GA I am quite at ease with the British, so the only thing that you as the author might want to look out for is homophones.

I try my best with those, but being mildly dyslexic, it it hard.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think it’s great that Lewis got the two new medals for not only his service in Afghanistan but his service on Christmas Island as well. I do agree with the comment that Mitch should be able to get a plaque or a medal of his own for being a fifteen year old boy who got stuck behind enemy lines when he and his uncle were kept hostage basically by the Palestinian and Malaysian troops on the island just to force the island inhabitants to mine the ore  so that it could be taken to their countries for processing. I’m glad that Lewis and Mitch were able to get away from the island before they were captured or worse made to fight in the conflict more than they already had. I think it’s great that Lewis has the opportunity to see what it’s like to work on a yacht for the weekend while he’s still on leave which is why he was on the island in the first place. Great chapter in an all around great story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 8/13/2018 at 3:36 AM, Will Hawkins said:

Once again my comment about needing a good editor. In my opinion, the author's job is to be creative and the editor is to smooth out any bumps in the narrative and to make sure that the pronouns used are the correct tense and number. A good spell checker like Grammarly can help. but it will not replace a good sharp eye for detecting such errors as homophones.

A super story -- keep up the good work!

Mister Will

It is easy for you to suggest that a good editor is needed, my editor is doing his very best. The real fact is that editors are very few, and not all authors have the luxury of having one available, so please stop harping on about it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very well and my apologies about mentioning editorial errors. As an author, it is not your job to correct small errors, and I will no longer make an issue of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You do write a damn fine chapter thanks so much! I thought this would be a nice addition😁

Map showing the location of Pulu Keeling National Park relative to the mainland

I am also dyslexic and more then mild hell of a way to grow up!

Edited by Albert1434
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great map. Interesting Facts for you and other readers…

1: With just one airline provides two flights a week to both islands, the airline heads north from Perth, directly to Exmouth, where the plane is refuelled before heading west over the Indian Ocean to Christmas Island and Cocos Keeling Islands.

2: Both Islands are regarded as part of Western Australia in regards to laws and regulations, and both islands have local governments - (Shire Council) , but as an outside Territory, it has its own Administrator (Equivalent to a Governor), and  the islands have Federal Police, who administer law and order on the islands.

3: The Administrator for the Indian Ocean Territories works and resides in Darwin, NT, and only travels to the islands when required, but she also has an office located on Christmas Island.

Q

Edited by quokka
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..