Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,723 Words
  • 2,536 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

NB New Direction - 8. NB ND Chapter 8

We ate in silence for a while, before Sebastian began talking again, “The demolition is nearly completed on Ashton Avenue, and when it has, I can start demolition on the three blocks on 2nd Avenue. It will be another few weeks before building can start on Queenslea Drive, so I thought I would get the builders to start of the Ashton Avenue property first, so it is up and operational well before next year’s Royal Show, no point rushing the Queenslea Drive project till we know what to do with the building when it is completed” Sebastian said to me.

“Have you had any enquiries?” I asked, “I have in fact, the Grammar School is interested in buying the land so they can build more classrooms, I didn’t tell them what my plans were for the site, so I just told them I would think about it, and let them know near the end of the year” Sebastian replied with a big grin.

“Maybe you should work on Queenslea Drive first, so you can get it completed before the start of the new school year, next year built, then you can work on Ashton Ave, before next year’s Royal Show” I suggested, “Yes, I have thought of that, I was going to discuss it with you next week, once you have got some strength back, don’t forget, you are still part of the Wagner International family” Seb said.

“Yes true, I guess with all of the dramas’ of the past few months, I was not sure what would be happening with my future, especially when I am not sure how mobile I am going to be, once I am finally released from hospital” I said to my cousin.

“Well, let’s see how your recovery goes, and we will deal with it when it arises” Sebastian said to me, “I understand, but I don’t want to be a constant burden on anyone, once I am out of hospital for good” I responded, “You are not a burden Huon, I do anything because I care for you very much, getting paid for it is just a small bonus” Mrs Cooper said from the kitchen.

“Just accept it cousin, you are stuck with us, no matter what happens, so let’s have no more of that nonsense from now on, ok?’ Sebastian added, I groaned and nodded my head yes, and we continued to eat. After lunch, I went to have a lie down, and slept for three hours, until Seb woke me up and announced that it was time to return to the hospital. I had enjoyed my day out, but all of today’s activities had tired me out very much.

Two weeks later, when I had Seb, Rev and Kyle visiting me, the doctor announced that there was very little more they could do for me in hospital, and that I would be discharged the following day. Although I was doing physiotherapy every day, I was still having troubles walking, getting tired very easily. I had began getting skin grafts to cover the titanium plate that would be a permanent feature from now on, but it would be a long process.

Once I was back home in Freshwater Parade, I settled into a routine of going for a swim in the morning, before Mrs Cooper would take me to my physio sessions every day, returning home just before lunch time. Meanwhile, Seb was keeping very busy with preparations for the new school year and first term, that was fast approaching.

As expected, the parents, teachers and school board were thrilled with the new school buildings, and as a result of this the school board decided to employ a further three more full time school teachers, which allowed the school to increase its student numbers from 34, to the maximum of 72 students. After the school board meeting, when Sebastian announced the new school facilities, and gave them a tour of the buildings, applications were being accepted for the extra students,

Now with only a few days, till the start of the new school term, all the 6 full-time and three part-time teachers, plus the two full-time and one part-time administration staff, were at the school, making preparations. As expected, Sebastian was appointed Administrator of the school, and he now had teachers for each of the 6 grades, as well as a music and arts teacher, plus him doing languages.

It was decided by the board, that Years 1 to 3 have their classrooms on the upper level, while the years 4 to 6 would have the classrooms on the ground level, along with the Arts classroom, while Music would be taught in the Multi-purpose room on the centre floor. The two Activity rooms, would be used for physical education classes, plus as student lunch rooms, with the roof level being the supervised outdoor sports and lunch break activities area.

This leaves just one classroom on the upper floor spare, and it was decided to use this for language classes, so this is where Seb would do all of his teaching. In the afternoon, after a quick nap after lunch, I spent a lot of my time in the garden with Mrs Cooper, which I was finding very relaxing.

At dinner time on Saturday, just four days after being discharged from hospital, Mrs Cooper asked me to come with her to church at Toodyay tomorrow, and although I was a little surprised, I didn’t mind, and it gave me a chance to catch up with my good friend – Kyle afterwards.

On the drive up to Toodyay, Mrs Cooper announced that Annette, had organised a lunch gathering with an old and dear friend of hers, so they would have to leave soon after the service is over. When we arrived, Kyle was there to greet us, and to help me get into my wheelchair, and he wheeled me into the church, where he placed me in the corner of the front row of pews, right next to the organ.

We had arrived half an hour early, so while we waited, Kyle sat in front of the church organ, and started to play some hymns, and we both sang along, much to the delight of the parishioners when they arrived, who came up to say hello to me, before taking their seats.

Kyle remained at the organ, explaining that it was his turn to be the organ player this week, and as the crowd stood as Annette walked up the aisle to the front, I decided to remain seated, as I was still having balance trouble. “Good morning, and a special welcome to two of our friends, Mrs Cooper and Huon Davenport, who we are pleased to see is finally out of hospital, and he wishes to pass on his sincere thank-you, to everyone for their prayers, during his illness” Annette announced.

When we began to sing the first hymn for the service, I suddenly heard singing coming from the vestry, and I looked at Kyle in a confused manner, and he just smiled, as he continued to play. I decided to sing reasonable quiet, so as not to be too obvious with my singing, and also so as not to get too tired. While Annette was giving her weekly sermon, Kyle sat down on the pew beside me.

“We are up next, mum asked me to let you know that she has volunteered us to sing one solo hymn together, and the singing from the vestry is some VIP guests you will get to meet at lunch time” Kyle whispered, as he handed me the song sheet, with it opened to the hymn we would be singing – Jerusalem, one of my favourites.

“Please remain seated for our resident duo singers” Annette announced at the end of the sermon, and Kyle began playing the start of the hymn. During the hymn, we heard a soft singing chant coming from the vestry, which made the song sound extra special, and I was very curious to know who the VIP guests are.

When the service ended, Kyle wheeled me down the isle behind Annette, and we joined in at greeting the parishioners as they filed out of the church. “I am coming with you and Mrs Cooper, mum will bring the guests out to your farm house where we are having lunch” Kyle announced, which really surprised me. It was good to see my Toodyay home again, I had lost count of how long since I was last here.

The house was spotlessly clean, and there was a smell of… “What on earth is going on, and why do I smell incense?” I asked Kyle, as Mrs Cooper headed to the kitchen to finish preparing lunch, while Kyle and I went out onto the veranda, to enjoy the view of the river, and I saw that the outside table was set for twelve people, “and who are the other 6 people coming for lunch” I added.

“You will just have to wait and see, they won’t be too much longer” Kyle replied with a big grin on his face. From the veranda I could hear the arrival of two vehicles, but Kyle kept the wheelchair away from the corner, so I wouldn’t see who is arriving. When I heard footsteps entering the house, Kyle finally turned the wheelchair around and wheeled me towards the main living area, where I came across 6 monks, dressed in their traditional garments. It wasn’t until the group spread out a little, that I saw the main guest chatting with Annette, and he looked very familiar. These were no just monks, but Tibetan Monks, and the special guest was…

“Huon Devonport, may I introduce you to His Holiness, the Dali Lama of Tibet” Annette said just as I realised who he was, “Your Holiness, welcome to my humble home” I said politely, and the elderly guest gave me a big warm smile, as he took my hands in his. “It is good to meet you, and thankyou for your hospitality” his Holiness replied. Once the formal introductions had been made to his Holiness and the other five monks, Kyle wheeled me to my study.

“Holy cow mate, oops… you could have warned me” I said and Kyle chuckled at the first bit I said, “Well it all happened very quickly, and my mum has been accommodating the guests here for the past two days, with the assistance of Mrs Cooper, and yes Sebastian knows all about it, but not the twins” Kyle responded. “Wow, the Tibetan big wig himself, here in my home, that is so incredible, I presume, they were the voices we heard singing in the vestry, and how long are they staying for?” I asked.

“Yes, to the first part, and they are on a secret retreat for a week, I hope you don’t mind, but it is the perfect remote place, for them to stay without any media and general public to annoy them, oh and you have a private audience with his holiness after lunch, which will be fairly basic foods” Kyle replied, just as Annette appeared and sat down. “Rev, this is one amazing and incredible day, and tell me, when did you meet his holiness?” I said to Annette.

“Well, I guess you could say I was on a spiritual journey, when I was in India, about 19 years ago, before Kyle was born, and I met his Holiness, and we have become good friends since then, I hope you don’t mind me using your place for their retreat?” Annette replied. “Not at all, it is good to have it being used, instead of remaining empty, they are welcome to stay for as long as they want, and come back when they want” I replied.

“That is good to hear, Sebastian has already made that offer on your behalf, also he and his family have made a sizeable donation to the Tibetan Kopan monastery, just north east of Kathmandu in Nepal, I have spoken to his Holiness, and he has made some arrangements for you to go on a healing retreat at Kopan, next month, with Seb agreeing to pay for all of your expenses” Annette announced.

“Oh, wow, now that is something I never expected, and it would be good to do some more travelling” I replied, a little surprised at the announcement. “That is good, as you will be leaving on a Saturday in mid-March, Sebastian has already organised everything, including your travel visas” Annette said.

The audience with his holiness, after a vegetarian lunch, was unusual, but also an amazing experience, as we talked for about half an hour, before going through an hour-long meditation session, which had me fully relaxed by the end of it, and I went to the study to have a little lay down, and I quickly fell into a deep sleep.

When Kyle woke me up, it was getting dark, which surprised me a little, and I was feeling very relaxed and fully of energy. Kyle announced that it was time for dinner, and that afterwards, I would be staying at the rectory overnight, before he would be driving me back to Claremont, in the morning, before he goes to school.

After dinner, I said farewell to the guests, and to Mrs Cooper, who would be staying on as housekeeper and cook for the guests, while they are there, I followed Kyle outside to his car, and he drove back to town, with both of us remaining silent for the whole trip. Annette who had returned back to town sometime while I was asleep, greeted us as we entered the rectory, and after a short chat, Kyle went to have a shower, while I remained talking with Annette about today’s events.

When Kyle dropped me off at home, early the next morning, both houses were empty, so I presumed that Sebastian and the boys were either next door at the School administration building, or across the road at the school. Once I had a quick shower and change of clothes, I wheeled myself to the school administration building, where the front door was unlocked, so I pushed it open with my feet, and I manoeuvred the wheelchair forward.

It sounded very quiet, and I wondered if anyone was around, when I heard the twins laughing, and Sebastian scold at them from nearby, “Hello, anyone here” I said loudly, and Sebastian soon appeared from his new school office. “Hey, did you have a good day yesterday?” he asked me as I wheeled closer. “It was very interesting, and amazing all put together, and I hear I have you to thank for part of it” I replied.

“It was nothing really, Annette did most of the organising, so was it good to be singing with Kyle again?” Sebastian answered, just as the twins appeared from the staff lounge room next door. “Hello boys, are you looking forward to school in the new building?” I said to the boys, forgetting about Seb’s question. “We like school, so its ok, and the building is awesome, a lot for space to run around in” the twins chorused.

“That is good to hear, now how about I take you across the road, so your brother can get some work done” I said to the twins, which made Seb smile, and nod his head, and the boys lead the way, opening the door for me, so I could wheel out of the building easily, and the senior administration staff member, Mrs O’Donnell arrived just as we were leaving, “Good morning Mr Devonport, and boys” she said with a smile.

“Good morning Mrs O’Donnell, you will find Mr Wagner in his office, have a nice day” I replied, and she waved back as she entered the building, and we went down the ramp, and crossed the road to the school building, where one of the teachers, was supervising the arrival of students. Since it had just before 8am, there was still over 15 minutes before the new school term started, so I said goodbye to the boys as they headed inside, and I returned to the house, where I went to my room to have a little rest, from the early start this morning.

Copyright January 2018 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 29
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter.it is good that everything seems to be moving along rather well. I hope that there are no further setbacks. Good luck mate

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..