Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,221 Words
  • 2,017 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Outback Corporation - 12. OBC Chapter 12

When Chris was told that the identity of the extortionist was one Mr Jacob Lenswood, believed to be Kyle’s uncle on his mother’s side of the family, Chris was shocked at this news, as he thought that both of the Lenswood’s were still in prison for trying to kidnap Kes, when he was ten years old, as well as the attempted murder and bodily harm that they caused to Bryce. Now knowing who has kidnapped Kes, Chris was very worried about his cousin’s welfare, knowing that Jacob Lenswood can be very violent.

It the late-night news – “Police have arrested and charged a man, who is alleged to be responsible for the disappearance and kidnapping of 28-year-old Kyle Silverton the CEO of the Silverton Pastoral empire, during a recent trip to the city for business.

It is believed that after an attempted ransom exchange, the man was captured by police, but he refused to reveal where Kyle Silverton is being kept hidden, and now there is grave concern for the young multi-millionaire businessman”.

Not far from the city, Kyle’s aunt had seen the news report, having not heard from her husband for a few hours, she was starting to get concerned that the ransom kidnapping had somehow gone wrong, and now her worries had come true.

Now realising that their prisoner had not eaten for over a day, she made her way to the nearest take away store and bought several burgers, chips and a couple of soft drinks, and went to the warehouse where Kyle was being kept captive.

Very quietly she sneaked into the old and abandoned office suite, where she placed all the food, several candles, a small cigarette lighter and a few Outback magazines on the table before leaving, closing the door loudly, to let Kyle know that food had arrived.

I woke up with a fright when I heard a noise, and it sounded like the door, once I had got my bearings I made my way into the other room, where there was barely any light, just enough from the street light outside the window.

When I walked into the room, I could smell the food, and I sat down quickly, then I could see there were other items on the table also, and feeling them carefully I realised I now had some candles and a lighter and soon I lit a candle and melting a little of wax I secured it to the table, before getting stuck into the food, as I was so hungry.

Once I had filled my stomach to the max, I leaned back and burped loudly, before using the empty soft drink cup to place the second candle, and once it was secured to the cup and lit, I blew out the other candle and made my way back to the other room to get some more sleep.

When I woke up in the morning, breakfast had been delivered, but this time it was a single serve box of cereal, a small carton of milk, two pieces of fruit, a plastic bowl and spoon and a cup with steaming hot tea, all placed on a plastic tray along with a tea towel and a dish cloth, plus two rolls of toilet paper.

When I saw these extra items, I knew that I would be confined to this place for some time, although I was not happy about that, I was glad that I was being provided with some extra bits and pieces to make my life a little easier. Back at the police station, after being processed, Jacob Lenswood was placed in the lockup where he had to remain before going in front of a magistrate the next day and remained in the cell overnight still refusing to answer any questions from the detectives.

The next morning, Jacob Lenswood pleaded not guilty to Kidnapping and Extortion, but the magistrate, had enough evidence presented to him to decide that he was indeed guilty, even though there has been no sighting of Kyle Silverton since his disappearance, and so he was committed to trial in the district court at a later date, and to remain in custody with bail refused.

Once Jacob Lenswood had been committed to stand trial, he was sent to the medium security prison where he would remain until his case is heard, and later that same day the police received a courier delivered letter. “The longer that my husband remains in prison, the longer it will be before negotiations can begin for the release of Kyle Silverton”.

Two hours later, Margaret Lenswood was settling into a large comfortable caravan that she had purchased with cash and was now situated in the same warehouse as Kyle was being held, she decided that it was no longer safe to stay at her home, now that her husband was in prison, and after the letter she had just sent to the police.

This way she could keep an eye on her nephew and stay out of the reach of the law for the time being, there was a small supermarket not that far away to get all her food supplies from, and she had the power restored to the warehouse, which she had organised a 12-month lease.

Margaret decided to start providing her nephew with some more healthy meals, and so when she was cooking her own meals she prepared extra for Kyle, and for the first home cooked meal it was shepherd’s pie.

She placed a large potion on to a large plastic plate, along with a plastic knife and fork, a cup of hot tea, they were placed on a tray and she placed it just inside the door of the offices where Kes was being held, and before closing and locking the door she flicked on the light switch to let Kes know that there was now power to the rooms.

I must of dozed off some time during the afternoon, as I work up to the sound of a click noise, then I heard the outer door close, it was about the same time that I smelt food, and not take away food but home cooked, and I dashed into the other room, and was suddenly hit by the bright lights in the room, the lights were on and they were very bright.

On the tray by the door was my dinner, and it looked delicious, so I picked up the tray and placed it on the table, and started eating, I was so pleased to have a decent meal at last, as I was getting sick of the takeaway food that was provided before.

Once I had finished eating, I left the tray on the table, and took the plastic plate and cutlery to the bathroom, where I washed them in the sink, before drying them and placing them on the table ready for my next meal, going back to the other room, I flicked on the light switch, and looked around the room for the first time under illuminated light, with the more brightness from the light I was able to see the rooms with a lot more detail, and there was a lot more graffiti on the wall than I had noticed before in the limited daylight I had from the windows.

Over the next few days I had set routine of eating, sleeping and reading, and I was starting to get use to the idea that I was confined to this place for some unknown time, I really missed my boys and home on the station, and wished I could talk to them, even if it was by telephone.

After three more days since Jacob was sent to prison, Margaret sent another letter to the police, “a ransom of $30,000 cash, is to be delivered at noon in three days, with instructions on where the delivery will take place coming a few hours before the deadline.

Failure to provide the money exactly as instructed and delivering it exactly as instructed will result in Kyle receiving a crippling injury”. The information in this letter was not expected and was a big worry for the police and for Chris.

The day before the deadline, the police managed to track down Margaret’s vehicle, and it was reported to be sighted by a patrol car, and within ten minutes a team of officers had the vehicle surrounded while Margaret was at the supermarket, doing some shopping, and she was arrested as she approached her car.

Once Margaret was taken into the police station, searched and processed, she was taken to the interview room and told that if she didn’t reveal the whereabouts of Kyle Silverton, then she would be getting the same charges as her husband as an accessory to his actions, this was enough for her to break down and cry and eventually she gave the location of the warehouse where Kyle was being held.

As the afternoon was starting to come to a close, I was lying on my mattress reading a book, and when I heard the outer door open, I thought that my dinner was being delivered a bit earlier than usual, and when I didn’t hear the door close as soon as a tray is placed on the table, I started to wonder what was going on and I stood up to investigate when I came face to face with Chris, who rushed towards me and brought me into a tight bear hug, and I started to cry as I was so happy to see him again.

When we had stopped crying, I realised there were police officers and paramedics in the room, and I was given a basic physical check up to make sure I hadn’t suffered any injuries while I was in captivity, once everyone was happy that I wasn’t injured, the paramedics left.

The police started to ask me some questions, before Chris stepped in and told the officers that the questions would have to wait, until I had gone to the hotel for a shower and a good solid meal and some sleep, and not before, and the police eventually agreed to delay the questions until tomorrow.

Chris had already upgraded my hotel suite, and when he had made sure I was settled he went back to his suite next door, for the next hour I took a long hot bath and took my time with getting dressed before knocking on the connecting door to Chris’s suite.

When Chris opened the door he beckoned me inside, and I was surprised to see a huge dinner served at a table with places for two, so I took my seat at the table and enjoyed a very large meal. We didn’t talk much during dinner, mainly because I think Chris didn’t want to start asking a lot of questions, instead he reported that everything was going well at home, and that all the boys are wanting their daddy home very soon.

After dinner, I retired to my suite and nearly the moment I fell onto the comfortable bed, I was in a deep sleep, and didn’t wake until mid-morning the next day, when I heard arguing going on outside the suite, and when there was finally silence, I saw Chris enter with a continental breakfast tray, and he placed it on my lap as I sat up, before going to open the curtains.

I enquired about all the noise outside in the hall, and Chris informed me that it was the police saying they wanted to interview you about what happened while I was being kept hostage, Chris said that he argued that I was still asleep and that he is not to be disturbed, and that he would make sure I come down to the police station in the afternoon some time to make a statement.

My body started to shake all over as I realised that I would have to go over everything that had happened to me over the past week, and Chris quickly grabbed to tray and took it off me before everything spilled on it, he then grabbed the phone and asked reception to have a doctor come to my suite right away.

Half an hour later after a thorough examination, the doctor briefly spoke to Chris before leaving. About ten minutes later Chris came back into my suite and announced that we were returning home to Pondana, and that the doctor had prescribed some tablets to help to relax and sleep, and that I had suffered an anxiety panic attack, and that the best medicine for it is rest, and preferably at home, and that he would send a fax to the police explaining my condition and that under his directions I have been sent home.

Chris said that he had already booked a charter flight from Perth, directly to the station, with no stops, and that it is ready to leave in 30 minutes. During the flight, I slept most of the journey asleep and only woke up when I felt the plane starting to descend and Chris smiled to me as he secured his seatbelt, I did the same before looking out the window to see my beloved home in view, and I was pleased that I was home again.

Copyright April 2018 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 28
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

In my opinion, kidnappers comprise a subset of a lower life form. Discount kidnappers are even lower. The first ransom demand was ridiculously small and the second much worse. She might as well  have asked for the ransom to be delivered to her house. Evidently smarts do not run in that family.

 

Kes was out of character the past couple of chapters. The self reliant young adult who grew up in the outback somehow morphed into a helpless and compliant five year old child.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

B),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Either, Jacob's wife had no idea how much Kyle was worth, or thought $30,000 was a lot of money!  :unsure:  Or thought 30 grand was a lot of money. At least they fed him well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..