Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,976 Words
  • 3,576 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 2: The World - 16. There Are Others

In memory of my Daniel. You'll live forever!!!

It was horrible to watch and even though I knew it was for the best…my emotional attachment was making it worse. I loved Colin. It hurt me to watch him go through this, but…Wayne was…agonizing.

Even Dr. Hathaway was cringing a bit. “Is there nothing you can give him for the pain?”

George shook his head. “With the venom in him, it wouldn’t work. There’s no pain relief I can give.” He said helplessly. “When he gets the serum to a level I can, but until it does…”

Even Director Maddingly was a bit bothered. “It would have been easier to just kill him.”

“He’s a man!” I said as I cried. “He’s human!” I turned to him. “If this was you or your son…or just someone you gave a damn about…” I held Wayne’s hand against me. “He will get better.”

It was almost more than I could stand, but I had to be there. It did take a little longer before I saw that pulse come back once, then again and again. It had begun to work!

It did take longer than Colin, Willie or me. It was eight hours of Hell! He finally slumped and the pain faded. I was wiping Wayne’s face where he sweated! I felt me exhale in relief as he settled down. I was smiling when I saw Colin wipe his face to get rid of the tears he’d shed.

“It worked?” Dr. Hathaway asked.

George shook his head. “It worked the first day.” He admitted. “That means it will work, but he has a few more injections to take.” He leaned back against the bars. “I know doctors are supposed to have more objectivity, but something about Wayne…” he shook his head again.

Director Maddingly walked forward. “He has to do it again?”

George gave a sad nod. “It will start to work faster as we go through this, but yes.”

Colin looked at Director Maddingly. “I not met a vampire yet to refuse even after the first injection.”

“Life as a vampire is so…terrible,” George said. “I think if there was a chance and they could die, they’d risk it.”

I looked at Wayne’s face. “He had blood flow.” I pointed to his color that had gotten pinker.

Colin took my hand. “Come on, we need to be awake for him tonight. Let’s go to bed.”

“Can we find a room for him near us?” I asked as I knew I looked terrible from crying for hours.

Colin nodded. “I would insist on it, or we would move to be near him.” We stopped in front of Director Maddingly. “You’ve seen the truth. We don’t want anything other than for you to know what we’re doing here. We don’t need a penny from you.” Colin waved at Wayne. “He’s one of many; all British citizens who need help. What you do now will be important.” Colin pushed each word tapping Director Mattingly’s chest. “Don’t let them down. You can speak to Edwin, Sarah and Matt. They’re vampires too.” We both saw Director Mattingly’s eyes widen. “They were born and raised in the surrounding towns. Your agency is to protect the citizens of England. So, protect them.” Colin pulled me close to him. “I’m taking my husband to get some rest. We have another long night tonight.” I don’t think Director Maddingly knew about the marriage as his eyes widened again. We hadn’t been introduced as a couple.

 

In our room, Colin sat beside me on our bed. “We did the right thing.” He said more to comfort himself than me.

I leaned on Colin. “Like a friend told me,” I smiled. “I know it here.” I tapped my head. “I’m having a hard time in here.” I pressed on my own chest. I sighed. “It has to be better than what he’s gone through. He begged us to give him the serum.”

Colin fell back on the bed and lay there. “What is it with Wayne? That one serum insertion hurt me more than Gabriella when she started taking the serum.”

I went back next to him. “Because, in spite of the fact that he’s a vampire, he’s sort of innocent. A gentle soul.” I smiled.

“I think Director Maddingly and Dr. Hathaway will work out in the long run.” He chuckled. “That Maddingly is the manifestation of the stoic Brit.” He went to a fake British accent. “Keeping a stiff upper lip.”

I chuckled. “He can’t help it. He’s English.” I came closer to Colin. “So are you.”

“And you!” Colin said.

“Scottish actually.” I corrected. “Part of the British Empire grudgingly, but most definitely Scottish.”

“Really? I thought it was Irish.”

I sort of nodded. “Yes, but I know it’s Scottish. The original spelling was M’Ghie.” I spelled it. “There is also MacGhee and Magee.” I spelled them both as I rolled on top of him. “And you’re closer to as you are only a generation or two away. I’m quite a few.” I sat up. “I’m more American than you!”

Colin rolled his eyes. “Oh, really?” He pulled me down and rolled us so he was on top. “But you still love me, right?”

I grinned. “Yeah.” I pulled him into a kiss. “But you know that.”

Colin grinned. “Yes, I do. You know I love you.”

I kissed him. “Yes, I do.”

 

We did sleep…eventually. We woke up about noon and got up and cleaned up and went down for lunch. We were surprised to see Dr. Hathaway at the table.

“You stayed,” Colin said to her as we sat down.

She smiled and laughed a little. “How could I leave? I want to see how this turns out.” She looked at us curiously. “You both went through that?”

Colin nodded. “We had to. Wayne had it a little rougher, but it will hopefully be the same results.”

“Where’s Director Maddingly?” I asked.

“He had a meeting the Minister of Defense.” She said. “He was a little…uneasy about this whole thing. He will be back. What happens tonight?”

“When he wakes up, we’ll begin to move him into the house,” I said. “If he was able to break the blood dependency. We’ll see how he tolerates UV rays.” I gave a shrugging nod. “He will begin his transition from vampire to something…more human.”

Dr. Hathaway smiled. “With this serum stopping the venom from working, he may be able to speak more?”

I gave a shrugging nod. “I hope so. He’s pretty sharp even with the venom. He might surprise all of us.”

She sat back nodding. “How is it he has a venom different from yours?”

Colin thought of the best way to explain. “There seem to be different kinds of vampires. I was bitten by a man I had known before when he was human. Whatever bit Wayne is thought to be more primitive.” He shook his head. “We don’t know.”

She smiled. “And you’re not getting anything from this?” She asked doubtfully.

I chuckled. “Oh, no, we’re doing this for purely selfish reasons.” I smiled. “No one wants to be alone. Now, we’re not.”

She nodded. “That’s true.” She looked around the lavish dining area. “You’re in a beautiful home at least.”

Colin smiled. “Well, Edwin Dunning was a surprise. He and the original owner were both vampires.”

“The life you describe is nothing like the many stories.”

I shook my head. “No, it isn’t.”

Colin looked cautiously at Dr. Hathaway. “I hope Director Maddingly uses discretion with other people.”

She smiled. “Eric Maddingly can be a bit…pretentious. In the end, he’s fair.” She shrugged. “Who’d believe him if he told anyone?”

 

Colin and I did some catching up with the others. My mother was busy with the vampires that were getting the serum now and were not yet ready to get the discs. We knocked and went into Lilly’s room.

“Hi, Devon…Colin.” Lilly smiled and looked so much better. She had moisture in her eyes and color! “I saw the sunrise yesterday. It was glorious!”

Colin and I grinned at each other. Colin nodded. “I know and you’ll never forget it.”

Lilly smiled. “And your mother, Devon!” She shook her head. “She is so sweet and…she’s dating a vampire!?” She asked not really believing it.

I chuckled. “Yes, it sort of runs in the family,” I said taking Colin’s hand. “I dated him before I was turned.” I hurried along to beat the question I knew was coming. “I was bitten, but not out of the need for blood, but to keep from making him suffer.”

Lilly smiled. “So, you’re the vampire couple, not Paul and me.”

Colin nodded. “I suppose we are.”

 

Now there were four teams going out on patrol. All led by a veteran patroller as well as local support from the vampires that resided here.

Willie was getting his team together with Sarah as a tracker.

“Willie,” I said grinning. “You haven’t asked Mom?” I knew he hadn’t.

Willie looked helpless. “I’m waiting for the right time.” He explained. “It needs to be perfect. The right mood and the right setting.”

I grinned. “You should take her to somewhere nice,” I said. “Perhaps London?”

He looked at me. “You think I should?”

Colin chuckled. “Of course!” He gave Willie and manly hug, one of those one-armed one’s guys had a tendency to give that’s not overly mushy. “It works for Devon and me.”

“Why not this weekend?” I suggested. “We can make the reservation tomorrow and you can even get someone to drive you.” I chuckled. “Mom wouldn’t dare drive. Can you drive?”

Willie frowned. “I haven’t in a while.”

“There’s a great Rolls you can borrow. Edwin would love it!” Colin said. “I know there will be a local that can take you. You’ll need to make plans for him as well.”

“Just treat her like the queen she is,” I said. “You’ll do fine.” I hugged him quickly with more emotion and with both arms. “I look forward to her squeal.”

 

We were joined by Dr. Hathaway and to our surprise, Evan Bennett, Sarah Bennett’s grandson was there.

George smiled. “We may have to think about building something to put a lab in.” He said. “This lab is getting crowded.” He grinned and brought Evan closer. “Evan wanted to sit in on this. He said he was interested in taking a more active position with us.”

I smiled. “Great!” I looked over at the still slumbering Wayne. “How’s Wayne?”

George smiled but gave a slight nod. “His heart rate is falling, but that’s to be expected. He’ll get the other dose tonight. He looks better!” He looked at the canister I was carrying. “Good move. I’m not sure if the craving has ended. We’ll soon see.” He said. “I hope it’s working as we hoped. I’ve never done one of these vampires, but we’ll find out. When he’s awake and before we give the next dose, I need to get a sample of his blood.”

“We’ll wait before we move him then.” I nodded. Looking at my watch, I could see it was nearly sunset. Colin and I went in the cage with Wayne. He had color. Not much, but it was there! “When we do move him.” I grinned. “Maybe Gabriella can trim his hair.” I looked at him. “He does have that Wolverine look.”

“Or Dagwood.” Colin chuckled. He looked at me and my puzzled expression. “Oh, come on. Blondie?”

“The singer?”

“The Sunday newspaper comic strip!” Colin rolled his eyes. “Infant.”

I jabbed him in the gut slightly. “Comic books I know. Newspaper is…old fashioned.”

Colin just huffed.

 

It was like clockwork when Wayne moved and began to wake up. He opened his eyes and I smiled at him. He had moisture now. His eyes were dark, which I knew, but they were chocolate brown. He smiled at Colin as he sat up. Then he frowned as he rubbed his chest.

“Ow.”

I nodded. “Yeah.” I smiled. “Ow.” I held up the canister. “Are you hungry?”

Wayne sat up and thought. Then his eyes widened. “No!” He said in delighted surprise.

Colin smiled as he sat by Wayne. “Great!”

“It will be another day before we reintroduce food to you,” I said sitting on the other side of Wayne. “Your body has to get used to working again.”

Wayne nodded. He was still having a little difficulty with words. “I…understand.” He did a circle at his own temple. “Fog…clearing…not gone.” He smiled. “Yet.” He pointed to his chest. “Again?”

“You have a few more doses,” Colin said.

I pointed to George. “He needs some blood to make sure you’re getting what you need. He needs more blood.”

Wayne nodded. “Okay.”

“We’re going to ask you later what you remember,” Colin said. “Not now, but you can think about it now. We’re hoping with more serum the fog will clear up completely and you can tell us.”

Wayne frowned and pointed to himself. “Remember.” He said sadly. “Horrible.”

“I can only imagine,” I said.

Dr. Hathaway came to the door of the cage. “Am I safe now if I come in?”

Wayne looked at her. “No…hurt…you.”

“We’ll be with you the whole way,” I reassured again.

Wayne smiled. “Thank you.”

George took the sample of his blood and tested it. “We may have to wait one more day before we move him to the house. This venom is trying like mad to reassert itself and take control again.”

Colin nodded. “One more night on the cot won’t hurt him.”

I looked at Wayne as he talked with Dr. Hathaway. “His speech is better,” I mentioned. “He says he remembers.” I looked at Colin and George. “Maybe he can shed light on these other vampires.” I shook my head. “I don’t want to overwhelm him tonight.”

George smiled. “He still has a ways to go.”

At about eleven that night, we got ready for another dose. As bad as it had hurt before, Wayne was willing to do it again. Not happy about it, but knowing it was working and therefore worth it.

George came to Wayne. “With us, we took it in the arm the next day.” He frowned. “I’ll feel better if I put in your heart again.”

Wayne nodded. “Bad…vampire…this.” He laid back down.

Once again, George inserted the needle and injected the serum. It didn’t take long for the serum to again cause the pain. Wayne was more prepared for it, but it still hurt a great deal.

I looked at George. “Is it possible to do a lower dose more often?”

George shook his head. “That is an idea. The serum is doing the job adhering to the venom, but the venom is trying to regain control. When he goes to the house; I need to get that blood level up.” He put the syringe away. “A vampire no longer fearing the sun is needed, but to get there, I may have to increase the times given.” He frowned again. “I may be making a more concentrated disc for him to keep the level.”

Dr. Hathaway talked with George most of that night going over his research and findings. She was finding out about the serum and its chemical composition. Colin and I remained with Wayne again holding his hand and refusing to leave. It was again a long night, but he, at last, stopped writhing and lay still. I didn’t need to touch his neck to see his pulse had returned to near normal again.

 

The next night we came down and Wayne looked even better. More color was in his face and he had again moisture in his eyes. George did another test of his blood.

“Not quite stable yet,” George reported, “but I think he can be moved to the house.”

I grinned at Wayne. “You are being moved to a bedroom.”

Wayne looked surprised. “I…don’t…know…where…am.”

Colin chuckled. “Boy, are you in for a surprise.”

I smiled at Wayne. “How’s the fog?”

Wayne nodded. “Clearing.” He smiled. “Think…better.”

“Good!” I said and walked with him to the door of the cage. “We’re taking you to a room. We’ll show you where Colin and I sleep. If you need something, that’s where we’ll be.”

Wayne nodded and looked at Colin and me. “Married?”

Colin nodded. “Yes, we’re married. Does that bother you?”

Wayne shook his head. “Jealous.” He smiled and patted both Colin’s and my arms. “Lucky.” He thought. “What…year?”

I frowned. “What year is it?”

Wayne nodded.

“It's 2021,” I said.

Wayne looked surprised.

“What year do you remember? What was it when you became a vampire?” Colin asked.

“1973,” Wayne said.

“Unfortunately, we can’t send you back in time,” I said softly. “I’m sorry.” I didn’t want to remind him of things until he was ready. “Let’s see where you’ll be staying.”

Just leaving the barn his eyes widened at the gardens and the house that loomed brightly lit. Going into the house, his eyes grew even more. “I remember…this place.”

“You’ve been here?” Colin asked.

“Never,” Wayne answered. “Too fancy.”

“Well, now you’re staying here.” I smiled.

We showed him where we were staying on our wing. Then we showed him to the room he would be in. He did what people did when the saw our house the first time and did that little turn to see it all.

“We’ll be bringing you food tomorrow,” I said. “Are you hungry now?”

Wayne shook his head but smiled at where he was staying. “Not yet. Will I be eating again?”

I nodded. “Of course you will. You need nourishment.”

Wayne sat on the couch in front of the fireplace, but on the edge of the couch, like sitting back in it was…not welcome. “I knew about the ones at night. That speaks, but hunt. I saw you and the ones that catch me.” He said. “I see others like I was. Have you seen the others?”

Colin walked over to Wayne. “Others? We have been helping others that can speak to become like us.”

“The others? They’re not like us?” I asked.

Wayne shook his head. “No…not like you.” He frowned. “There are others.” He was getting better at speaking but sometimes had to work out what he needed to say. “The others…naked…” he pulled on his own hair. “…no hair.”

“Bald?” I asked.

Wayne nodded. “Bald everywhere.” He sighed. “I’ve seen only two.” He shuddered. “I was bitten by one. Naked and no hair anywhere.”

I looked at Colin. “The ones we’re looking for?” I asked Colin.

“When our friends found you. You didn’t fight them.” Colin said.

Wayne nodded. “I sense...the people, not vampire, but feel different to me. I see vampires with them.” He shrugged. “The vampires like you. I curious. I was scared, but I didn’t fight.”

I looked at Colin. “He wanted to get caught,” I said to Colin. “A vampire, no hair and naked? We’ve never seen those.”

Colin looked at Wayne. “Do you remember where you were bitten?”

Wayne nodded. “In the mine.” He was struggling with coming up with sentences. “I was…working in a mine.” He explained. “I survey.”

“You weren’t a miner?” I asked.

Wayne shook his head. “No. I would map routes.” He explained. “Some mines are old…and new ways to mine…I was mapping old tunnels…go back in.”

“Mines that may still have something in them and they were going back in.” My eyes widened. “You had to be good in math.”

Wayne chuckled. “Yes.” But now, he could produce tears and he began to cry silently. “I’m grateful you have done this…but…”

I came over and sat by him on the couch. “But?”

He wiped his face. “I was married.” He said sadly and now cried more. “We had just found out she was pregnant.”

Colin sat on the other side of him. “I’m sorry.”

Wayne sniffed and nodded. “I don’t know what happened to her.” He sighed. “2021? Did she have the baby? Was it a boy or a girl?” He looked at me. “Were they happy? Are they still alive?”

This was a whole new ballgame. “What was your whole name?”

“Wayne Dawson Scott.” He said. “My wife was Rosalind.”

“We can find out,” I said rubbing his back and then I thought maybe he wouldn’t appreciate that now. I stopped.

Wayne looked at me sensing I didn’t want to crowd him. “You have always cared about me.” He said as he cried. “Even when I was that…horrible…thing. Please, don’t stop now. I need you.” He looked at Colin. “I need both of you.” He turned into me and buried his head against me, which I held him there.

Colin and I both held him while he cried. “You’re not alone, Wayne,” Colin said. “We’ll talk more about the others. When you feel better about talking.”

There was nothing we could say to make it better, but we just sat with him until George came in. “We need to give the next dose.” He looked at Wayne who was crying. “Are you okay?”

Wayne shook his head. “No.”

I smiled at George. “He misses his family.”

“Sure he does.” George smiled sympathetically.

“I did, too,” Colin said.

I stood up. “While you’re getting him ready, I’ll send a message to Stan. I’ll see what he can find.” I left George and Colin with Wayne. They would understand. I hadn’t lost my family. They could relate more to that than I could. I quickly got on the computer in the library and sent Stan the message with the information I had been given and knew he could find it. I brought the tablet with me. I came in the room again as George had Wayne on the bed and was inserting the serum. It again started the pain and he suffered again. Colin and I remained as always with Wayne. In many ways, it seemed Wayne wanted the pain, to take his mind off his personal pain.

Another day and another sunrise. Only this time, Wayne was in a comfortable bed and asleep.

Colin and I really didn’t talk that much that morning but went to bed quietly.

“I knew what he felt,” Colin said.

I looked up at Colin. “I know.”

“The problem is…Gabriella is alive and here.” He sighed. “Who knows about his wife and child?”

I nodded. “We will. If there’s anything about them in records, Stan will find them.”

“What if it’s not good news?”

I smiled a little bitter. “He deserves to know.”

 

The next night I answered my emails and I smiled at what I found. Colin and I went to Wayne again, but this time, we didn’t wait for sunset. Knocking on Wayne’s door.

“It’s open,” Wayne said quietly almost too quiet.

When we entered, he was looking completely lost.

“Why am I doing this? Why take the serum?” Wayne asked. “My wife probably moved on. Why am I doing this? I should stop the serum and just walk into the sun!”

“I have a reason for you not to.” I smiled and held the tablet up. “Wouldn’t you like to meet your grandchildren?”

He looked up suddenly. “Grandchildren!?”

“Three.” I smiled. “I’m sorry, but your wife died five years ago from cancer, but you had a daughter, she was adopted by Dennis Tyler. Her name was changed. Your wife and Dennis raised a daughter, her is named Katie. She’s married and lives in Edinburgh.”

Wayne’s mouth was open, but he wasn’t saying anything. Shock.

“Katie had two girls and a boy,” I added bouncing as I told him of the grandchildren. “And guess what the little boy’s name is.”

Wayne still wasn’t saying anything.

“Katie named him,” I looked at him, “Wayne!”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I LOVE Wayne!! :wub:    Maybe he and Lilly could become a couple? (hint hint).  Who in the world are the naked and bald vampires?  The original's?  The mysteries just keep coming, don't they?  Excellent chapter. :yes:

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I tend to agree with wesley8890, as I feel a connection to Wayne as well. I'm glad that Devon was able to get Stan to try to find out about Wayne's family. I think with the information that Devon received from Stan that it'll be a lot better for Wayne to continue with the serum, it gives him something to live for. I hope that they can get the assistance that they want from the British government. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am loving every minute of this ! ! ! Wayne is really pulling at the heart strings because like the others I feel as if I have a connection with him. I personally don't think he would marry again as he will love his Rosalind until the day he dies. I love the fact that he has a daughter and grand-children as it gives him a desire to live and a reason to continue. 

 

As for the bald, hairless and naked vampires ... Nosferatu? German legend depicted in films as bald and it is generally accepted that they were different from the Dracula strain of vampire...

 

Really looking forward to seeing where this goes....

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

“He had a meeting the Minister of Defense." Let's put a 'with' in there, 'a meeting with the Minister...'

"Went in to Lilly’s room." into as one word, please.

I am in a small puzzlement - where are you writing from? I have seen times expressed as 9.00am which is British practice, but defense is spelled American style. Confusion reigns!

"Your wife and Dennis raised a daughter, her is named Katie." The wrong tense for the pronoun, use 'she'.  'she is named Katie.'

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

“He had a meeting the Minister of Defense." Let's put a 'with' in there, 'a meeting with the Minister...'

"Went in to Lilly’s room." into as one word, please.

I am in a small puzzlement - where are you writing from? I have seen times expressed as 9.00am which is British practice, but defense is spelled American style. Confusion reigns!

"Your wife and Dennis raised a daughter, her is named Katie." The wrong tense for the pronoun, use 'she'.  'she is named Katie.'

WentintoLilly’sroom is just plain wrong!  ;–)

 

And @R. Eric is from South Carolina. They’re all weird in the South! I think it’s because it’s so swampy and humid down there. I mean why would intelligent people live where they’re constantly being inundated by hurricanes, tropical storms, and other nasty weather?  ;–)

Link to comment

Yeah, and don't forget bugs like flies and mosquitoes. Oh, not to mention alligators and even out on the beach, Portuguese men-of-war with their lovely purple stinging hair. During certain times of the year those things would blow up onto the beach and die, but you could come along two or three days later and step into that purple mess by accident and get badly stung. Oh, I know all about those things, when I was just a kid I lived in Hollywood Beach, an oceanfront vacation community just north of Miami and spent hours every day out in the sunshine getting skin cancer.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

They had Portuguese Man-of-War in Hawaii too, but I never saw them. My (Lesbian?) Aunt’s then ‘roommate’ got stung by one. And I’m sure I soaked up way too much UV with absolutely no sunscreen at all in the ‘60s.  ;–)

Link to comment

About 30 years ago I had a number of small skin cancers removed by freezing with liquid nitrogen – not a pleasant process. Now a number of areas of infection have reappeared and I should go again to have this new crop removed, but as I am living way out in the Brazilian forest, it is too much trouble. I have been assured they will never metastise and because I do not have another 20 years of life to live, not worthwhile to make the effort.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..