Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,691 Words
  • 3,099 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 2: The World - 17. Reuniting With Family

In memory of my Daniel. You'll live forever!!!

I watched as Wayne was absorbing what I’d told him. He knew he had a child coming, but now he was a grandfather; from a daughter, he didn’t know about. “Grandchildren.” He said quietly, still in shock.

I chuckled. “Yes, Wayne, grandchildren.” I walked toward him. “This is what’s called a Tablet. I’ll explain the science, but…here are some pictures.” I held the tablet’s screen so he could see. “There are others. Just take your finger and slide like so.” I ran it across the screen, but brought the original back and handed him the tablet.

He never had seen something like it, but he was staring at the pictures I’d given him of the woman, a man, and three children.

“If you want a closer look.” I used my thumb and forefinger that brought his daughter’s picture closer, blowing the image up.

Wayne was just fascinated, not at the tablet, but the image. He looked almost afraid to touch it. “My god, she looks just…” he said softly, “like my mother.”

I smiled as he did use his finger and move to another picture. “This is two years old, but…” I pointed to the image of a young woman, “this is your eldest granddaughter. Her name is Karen Wallace. She’s now twenty and at a University in Edinburgh. The middle child is Wayne Scott Wallace, he’s now seventeen and a senior in high school. His interest is Geology. Karen wants to be a doctor. The youngest is Kelly. She’s now fourteen. Katie’s husband’s name is Sean. He’s fifty-one now.” I watched as he sorted through the pictures and stopped on one. “Do you recognize her?” I knew the picture was six years old. It was at a birthday party for Kelly. Her brother and sister was there as well as her mother, father, and friends. What was important was the older woman there.

His eyes grew. “No…,” he said touching the image. “Rosalind?”

I gave a cautious smile. “I wasn’t sure how you would feel about that,” I said sitting on the couch beside his chair. “This is the last photo of Rosalind before she got sick.”

His eyebrows came together as he looked more. “She’s…so old.”

I nodded. “She was in her early sixties.” I reached out and touched his arm. “She was happy, Wayne. I know it hurts to see this, but…”

He nodded. “Her life went on.” He smiled a little sadly.

“You would have wanted it to, wouldn’t you?” I asked. “I went to a social media site, which I will explain later. Unfortunately, Rosalind wasn’t a big fan of that, she didn’t post much. However, Katie did.” I explained. “There are other pictures about their vacations…or what you guys here in England say; holiday.” I smiled. “The English love Spain.” I showed him a little more about the website and how to get around with it. “I’ll come back later,” I said squeezing his shoulder and went back in the hall.

Colin came down the hall. “We should get him to eat tonight.” He looked at my face. He saw my sadly happy expression. “What’s going on?”

I smiled. “I just…hopefully, gave him something to live for,” I said taking Colin’s arm. “He’s looking at some family photos now.”

“He has a family?” Colin asked.

“He does.” I smiled and we went back to the library. I told him about Wayne’s grandchildren. We arrived at the library where we saw George and Burke laughing at something.

Burke smiled. “How is Jerry?” He asked and smiled. “Sorry, I mean Wayne.”

I smiled. “Much better.”

“Devon was showing pictures of his family that are still alive,” Colin explained. “We’re leaving him alone for now.”

George grinned. “I’m glad. Hopefully, he can make a connection.” He looked at us. “How does he look?”

I gave a nod. “Pretty good. Almost normal.” I looked at George. “He told us about others. Vampires that I think are the ones we’re looking for. He said they were naked and hairless and he’s only seen two.”

George frowned. “Naked and hairless?”

Colin smiled. “We’ll find out later.”

George smiled. “I’ll still need a blood sample.”

“If he has any left.” Colin chuckled. He looked around. “Where’s Dr. Hathaway?”

“She’ll be back,” George said. “She had some business with MI5 or something.”

“We’ll give Wayne a little more time,” I said. “Then we should reintroduce food.”

“I’ll get Nigel to have the chicken ready,” Colin said rising to do just that.

About two more hours later I went back to Wayne’s room with Colin and Wayne’s first solid meal in nearly fifty years. Wayne had stopped looking at the pictures but was sitting there thinking in deep thought.

“How are you now?” I asked.

Wayne shook his head. “I’m so out of place now.” He said. “The world went on and I didn’t.”

Colin sat near him. “It did.” He nodded. “We’re not just going to throw you out there. We’ll try to catch you up with things.”

“There are other vampires here that will also help you that have been in the same boat,” I said.

Wayne frowned. “I looked at all the pictures.” He shook his head. “How can I meet them? They won’t know who I am. I’ll be a freak.”

“Think about this,” I said sitting with Colin. “Katie never met you, but she named her son after you. Rosalind kept your memory alive for your daughter…enough that she named him Wayne. That tells me Rosalind loved you.” I smiled. “It was five years later that she met Dennis Tyler. They married when Katie was seven. We will also help if you want to meet them. There are other vampires that still have ties to the past by family. It can be done.”

Wayne got up and went to the window. He looked outside, but his mind was on something else. “Are you going after the others?” He asked bitterly. He turned to Colin and me, “the one that made me robbed me of a life.”

Colin nodded. “We need to find them first.”

“You gave yourself to Shelly and Willie?” I asked. “The vampires that caught you?”

Wayne smiled a little. “As I said, I knew about the one that made me and I saw another…years later. I knew about vampires that could talk and only came out at night to seek blood. I’d seen other vampires like me, that couldn’t talk.” He smiled. “Then I saw them…the ones that are like you.” He chuckled. “I thought they were another kind of vampire.” He shrugged. “Even as a vampire myself, I had the ability to sense what they were. I knew them to be vampires.” He walked back. “And I sensed those others…that were human, but I didn’t want their blood. I was curious. I was very scared, but curious.” He chuckled. “Even when they pointed that gun at me…the one that burns like the sun? I was just so…I wanted to know why they were different; all of them. So, yes, I let them take me.”

I smiled. “That was very brave of you.”

“Even with the venom in you, you still retained enough of humanity to look for a way out.” Colin marveled. “That says a lot about you.” He went back to the desk he’d put the covered dish on. “But, for now…” Colin brought the dish over. Cautioning as always about being careful not to eat too much, too fast; he presented the chicken to Wayne. The aroma was enticing to Wayne. I saw his nose twitch. Colin also brought a cup of cool water to drink.

Wayne tried it and as with all the others, began consuming more eagerly.

I looked at Colin. “Why do we bother telling them to take it easy? They never do.”

Colin nodded with a smile. “They can never say we didn’t warn them.”

George came and took more blood to test. He did a cursory exam looking pleased at Wayne’s eyes and color. “You’re color is practically normal.” He held the sealed little container with Wayne’s blood in it. “Now, to check the level of serum in your blood…I think you can see the sunrise in the morning.”

Wayne nodded. “I saw it get brighter outside this morning.” He smiled. “I tried to steal a peak, but I didn’t dare open the curtains yet.”

“We’ll give another few doses,” George said. “How long was the pain last night?”

Wayne shrugged. “Four…maybe five hours?”

“Can you draw?” I asked Wayne.

Wayne looked puzzled. “I can, but I’m not a Rembrandt.”

I chuckled. “You don’t have to be.” I got up. “I’m going to get you a pencil and some paper, could you sketch out an image of the one that bit you?”

Wayne nodded. “Sure.”

I came back with a sketch pad and some charcoal. Giving it to Wayne, he began drawing immediately. “You won’t be a freak to your daughter, Wayne.”

He looked up at me surprised. “Of course, I will.”

“No.” I shook my head. “You’re family. You are the reason they even exist. I’m leaving the decision up to you, but we’ll be there if you decide to reach out to them.”

Wayne nodded and went back to sketching.

 

It took a few minutes before Wayne handed the picture he’d drawn to Colin and me.

“Okay,” I said. “I know I’ve seen this movie.” I looked at a pretty good drawing of his vampire. He was round-headed and no hair whatsoever. Not on his head or even eyebrows, but two eyes, a nose, and mouth that was open. What I did see were just fangs. No other teeth, but there were the two elongated teeth in the front, with two lesser fangs beside them and two below.

Wayne came over. “What I didn’t draw…he was male for sure.” He said. “He had a dick, but…” he frowned. “…he had no…” he pointed down to his own crotch. “…there were no balls.” He shuddered. “No hair there either.”

Colin and I both looked at this creature again.

“Whatever he was, he wasn’t human,” Wayne added.

“But you were in a mine.” Colin clarified.

Wayne nodded. “That was my job.” He said. “I was in a very old tunnel that had been abandoned long ago. I don’t think a man had been down there for nearly a century.” He shrugged. “Maybe more.”

When George gave the serum again, the pain started again, but it only lasted a few hours. Not even five, but it did end. George came back smiling. “His level has sort of stabilized. He’s beginning to hold it. I can make the disc for him in a day or two.”

Colin showed him the picture of the vampire that Wayne drew. “This is the vampire that bit Wayne.”

George looked at it and his eyes widened. “This is ugly!”

Colin told George what Wayne had told him.

Now George was taking a while to think about what we told him. He sat and you could see he was thinking when at last he nodded. “Okay…this is just some thoughts. I won’t know until we get one.” He began. “What I see is a creature that doesn’t eat, therefore, no other teeth. I see a creature that doesn’t reproduce as we do, therefore no need for the genitalia. His only means of reproduction is by venom.”

I nodded. “That follows.”

“It does?” Colin asked me as his eyes widened.

“Just a theory,” George smiled. “We have been watered down from this creature.” He said. “Remember what I said about the things in our venom that is human and that is what helped us retain that humanity. Wayne here retained a good bit of his humanity, even though he had a more primitive form of venom.” He shook the picture. “I’m guessing this…thing…is very old.”

“Is it natural?” I asked. “How could something like this evolve?”

George shrugged. “I can’t say.” He smiled. “Again, it’s all theory.”

“But plausible.” I nodded. “But where did he come from?”

“Good question,” George said.

I frowned. “We need to go to either that Vampire Capital in Africa or more important, Cairo. That is the oldest area where humans are said to come from.”

Colin shrugged. “Maybe we should plan to do that very soon.”

“We can send a team there,” George said.

I looked at Wayne as he was still suffering. “I just don’t see how this could have evolved.”

George shook his head. “Who says it did?”

Colin looked at George. “You think it was made?”

George shrugged again. “Even Devon wondered about this venom. It only works in humans. It doesn’t work in animals. It’s a very specific venom. It creates a being that reproduces by biting and creates the perfect predator.” He put the picture down. “It’s too perfect.”

 

Just before sunrise, we roused Wayne from his sleep.

“This will only take a few minutes,” Colin said smiling. “You’ve had a rough time, but now, you get a reward.”

We walked out to the east side and stood on the terrace. It was like those vampires before him. The sun was brightening the horizon and then that one sliver of light shown through. There was fear in Wayne’s eyes as he saw the sun for the first time in fifty years. Tears which he now could produce were shed as he beheld that yellow orb rise. The tingling he got as he rubbed his arms.

Mom and Willie did take the trip to London. We now had five teams out patrolling the surrounding towns and more vampires were found and either was killed or brought in by us. We did plan to make a lab that could be worked with more equipment and a sun-blocking structure to keep the harmful sunlight away while they were being treated. I also noted a new friendship between Edwin and Matt. Sunday night, Gabriella met Wayne and frowned at him.

“You need a haircut.” She said simply.

Wayne laughed. “Well, it’s better than what it has been for several decades.” He rubbed his hairy face. “Could I get a razor?” He asked me.

I looked surprised. “You look good with a beard.”

He smiled. “Maybe so, but if I meet the grandkids, I should look more presentable.”

Colin smiled. “You want to see them?”

Wayne smiled more sadly. “I would like to see them.” He said. “If things go right, then I’ll tell them who I am.” He looked at Colin and me. “I need you to come with me.”

I nodded. “Of course.”

When Gabriella was finished and he had shaved…well…he was a very handsome man! The lack of a beard shaved not only the hair but a few years. He had been in his early thirties when he was turned. We got him some clothes.

When Mom and Willie came down for lunch that Monday, Mom was playing it cool. Nothing to tell anyone, but that didn’t last long.

“Everyone…” Mom began smiling enough to split her face if not careful. “…Willie asked me to marry him.” She held her left hand out. Then she let out her squeal just like I knew she would.

Me, being who I am, I frowned. “Aw, too bad you had to turn him down.”

Mom shook her head smiling. “Are you kidding!? I plan to marry him here!!”

Edwin smiled. “And you just happen to be at a manor that is here good for that. How coincidental.”

“We’ll pull out all the stops!” Colin said happily. He looked at Gabriella and Alex. “What about you two? Do we make it a double?”

Gabriella shook her head. “Every bride deserves to be the focus.” She smiled. “But no, I want to be married at Wentworth, given away by you, Daddy.”

Colin smiled. “I think that would be great, Gabby.”

Gabriella smiled. “Maybe this spring?”

Colin smiled and nodded. “That sounds like a date.”

 

It was Tuesday when we heard the helicopter coming. Thornwood was now crowded with people so there were a few waiting outside when the helicopter landed not far away. Edwin was getting money now from Holm’s Laboratories, so he wasn’t worried about expenses.

Colin and I watched as we saw Director Mattingly and Dr. Hathaway get out, doing the stooped approach everyone did, even though the blades were high above them. Edwin, Matt, and Wayne walked over to join Colin and me.

Dr. Hathaway smiled as she greeted us. Director Mattingly shook our hands. “You’ll be covered.” He said. “The PM has been briefed and knows pretty much all that we do. We’ll need details often to keep up with things.”

Colin nodded. “We can do that.”

It was Dr. Hathaway that was looking at Wayne and her eyes grew.

Wayne walked up. “It’s nice to see you again, Doctor.” He shook her hand. He looked at Director Mattingly. “Director Mattingly.”

Director Mattingly looked puzzled. “I’m sorry. Have we met?” He smiled.

Wayne nodded. “Oh, yes.” He grinned. “But you probably remember this...” Wayne hissed again and looked like he was going to charge the Director.

Director Mattingly jumped a little as his eyes widened. “No.” He said softly in shock. “You can’t be.”

“Unbelievable!” Dr. Hathaway said marveling at Wayne. “Wayne!?”

Wayne nodded. “That’s me.”

Dr. Hathaway still was staring at Wayne in awe. “The treatment worked!”

“I’ll have the disc inserted tomorrow.” Wayne nodded. “I’ll be pain-free.”

Dr. Hathaway frowned. “And I missed it!” She all but moaned. “This is remarkable!”

Colin nodded chuckling. “It is indeed.”

Dr. Hathaway shook her head. “I’ve got to more involved with this. This just miraculous!”

“We can talk more in the house.” Edwin invited them in the house.

 

It was a little later that Wayne came to us in the library where Colin worked online dealing with Holm’s Laboratories accounts and investments. I wasn’t lazy, but I was reading a book.

“Hello, guys,” Wayne said softly as he sat down in a chair near us.

“Hi, Wayne.” I greeted.

“You said you’d go with me to see my daughter and grandchildren,” Wayne said.

Colin nodded. “We will.”

“When can we do that?” Wayne asked.

“We need to consider when the best day would be,” I said. “My thoughts would be on a Sunday evening. They should be done with…whatever they had done. The children at home would be getting ready for school on Monday. Katie and Sean would be getting ready for a week at work.”

Now Wayne was looking very nervous. “How about this Sunday?”

Colin nodded. “Certainly.”

I smiled at Wayne’s worried face. “I don’t know what you’re thinking, but I can see it’s making you uneasy.”

Wayne’s eyebrows rose. “Uneasy!? I’m far beyond uneasy. I’m going to see a daughter three weeks ago I didn’t know about! I’ll hopefully meet grandchildren I hadn’t even imagined I had and showing them a father and grandfather they thought was dead! I’m way, way beyond uneasy.” He laughed nervously. “But, if I don’t…”

I rose coming over to Wayne. “We’ll be there if you need us.” I smiled touching his shoulder. “You’ve got the disc in and now that nightmare is over. We’ll help you with the rest of this journey. We’ll be as active or passive as you want us to be.”

Colin got up and came over. “You’re not alone now.”

Wayne smiled rising and hugged us both. “As far as I’m concerned, you two are angels.” He began to shed a tear. “Thank you.”

 

The trip to Edinburgh would only take three or four hours, so we left about two o’clock to drive there. Colin drove, not me. Wayne hadn’t driven in fifty years and wasn’t brave enough to start again just yet. Wayne was just starting to get used to some things but was amazed at the GPS that guided our way to the house where his daughter and grandchildren lived. They actually lived in a small part of town named Joppa. They lived in a nice neighborhood two blocks from a beach called Musselburgh Beach. Whatever Sean and Katie did, they did it well because the house didn’t look cheap. They were not poor. We parked nearby and let Wayne tell us when he was ready.

Wayne looked at the house. “This is silly.” He said suddenly and rubbed his hands on his pants. “I’m more nervous now than when I asked Rosalind to marry me.”

I smiled at Wayne. “Take your time.”

He took a deep breath and blew a breath out. “I’m the rip the band-aid off kind of man.” He opened the door and got out. Then he stopped. “Come with me?” He said a little pitifully.

Colin chuckled. “No problem.” He said getting out.

We walked up the sidewalk to the front door. The cars were there, so we weren’t worried they wouldn’t be home. Wayne was not a coward as he walked up and rang the doorbell. We heard the steps of someone coming to the door and a muffled conversation that we got a little of as the front door opened. This was Sean Wallace. A very distinguished man in his early fifties with dark hair that was grey at the temple and through his hair.

“Yes?” Sean said looking at us. He saw Colin and me, but his gaze came to Wayne. His face changed from mild curiosity to one puzzled and then just plain confused and then his eyes grew. You didn’t have to read minds to know what was going on in his head. He turned his head slightly but didn’t take his eyes off Wayne. “Oh, Katie!! You have got to see this!” He said with pronounced Scottish accent.

A voice came as someone approached the door. “What is it? You know I…” she was saying as she came to the door, saw Colin and me and then Wayne. She looked, the same thing, puzzled and then confused and then the eyes widened, but then we all saw her eyes go back into her head and she fainted.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 5
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nothing like learning that you still have family that are still alive, you have the daughter you never got to see, as well as a son in law and grandchildren. I feel bad for Wayne finding out that his wife Rosalind had died a few years ago from cancer. He thought long and hard to finally get to the point where he wanted to meet the family he didn't know he had. When they find the creature that bit Wayne they're going to have to be extra cautious and take precautionary steps to ensure the safety of everyone in the hunting party. I'm hoping that when they see this creature that they just kill it and then take the body in order to do the testing. I'm happy that Willie finally asked Betty to marry him and they want to be married at the estate they're staying at. Gabby has stated that she wants to be married at home in Wentworth Manor. I'm happy to see the serum is working so well on Wayne.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I love this chapter.  Very touching.  I wish the best for Wayne.  I can't imagine how his family will react to him.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I absolutely love Wayne! He is just so British !!! when we found out that he had a family was one thing, but to actually meet them. O.M.G ! I can not wait to have the whole family meet them. His granddaughter wants to be a doctor, could she train with Dr. Hathaway and work for VUN- GB ??? I just pray that they all accept him.

 

As soon as Devon said he had seen the film when he saw the picture it has to be the Nosferatu. It will be interesting to see how this develops...Are they the original vampires or are they government experimentation? Think about it could they exist because the government got involved in experimentation on two "CREATURES" that they found. Then during the wars they tried to develop the perfect fighting machine with no humanity.

 

It would be a nice twist if these were innocents... Created by man's demented need to control nature and make it do what they want. Vampires captured by the government during the war and used in experiments like Hitler experimented did on people ... It certainly could have caused this. Then they escaped and the  government covered it up ... so be careful Devon and Colin.

 

Love that Mum and Willie have tied the knot and that there is going to be a wedding. Maybe Edwin and Matt are heading that way as well. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Aw. Matt already found someone.

 

 

But how does your brain even process seeing someone that died 50 years ago showing up looking the same as he did when he disappeared? No wonder Katie fainted!

Link to comment

“Are going after the others?” This sentence needs a subject, put in a pronoun. “Are you going after the others?”  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..