Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,988 Words
  • 4,194 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood: A Dark Southern Aristocracy - 19. John Burke

In memory of my Daniel. You'll live forever!

In the shower, we cleaned up and yes, we did more than just bathe. What I found interesting was the heightened scents of smell. I could smell the soap more. Looking at it, it was just normal Ivory Soap, but it was stronger smelling than I remember.

Colin lifted his head as the shampoo was being rinsed. He opened his eyes and caught my look of amazement. He smiled. “You’re smelling things and soon, you’ll be hearing things better than before.” He grimaced. “You’re becoming the most perfect predator. You will even be able to see better than a cat at night.”

I had no idea. “It’s not bad.”

Colin put his arms around me and looked very serious. “Listen to me.” He urged. “Right now, you are fine, but this is not a good thing. This…” he waved at me. “…being a vampire is not good at all. If not fed, you become worse than an animal. You become this…mindless thing. You will hunt using those abilities. No one can escape you. It will become like…” he thought of the best way to say it. “…it’s like, you become this addict. When the hunger hits…you become something feral. The vampire’s venom will shut everything down except to get blood. What was human about you will begin to fade. If you surrender to it, you will be this…horrible thing. A real monster. It was working with Brett and it almost took Gabriella and me.”

I nodded, hearing his words and the seriousness of how he said it. “But you didn’t become a monster. I don’t believe you ever became that horrible thing.”

He sighed and looked away sadly. “The character of a man is pretty set. I never wanted to kill. I wanted blood. It took control like I can’t tell you about, to keep from giving in was one of the hardest thing I’ve ever done. The hunger and urge were so powerful.”

I was fine right at that moment. “I don’t feel that.”

Colin nodded. “Burke was thinking ahead when he gave us that blood. The hunger was stopped as soon as it began. Becoming a vampire is not a good thing.”

“But it feels good.” I pointed out.

“That’s what the venom does. You get this…almost euphoric sense of well being. That’s part of the addiction process. It makes you want to do it again.” He frowned. “I never wanted you to find out.”

I nodded. “The serum will work again.”

Colin smiled. “It will, but believe me. It won’t be pleasant at first.”

I pressed my forehead against his, feeling defeat now. “I remember your reactions.” I sighed, but I felt Colin’s arms come around me. I looked up at him. “Now, that we’re clean. How about that wedding night?”

Colin smiled at me. “What about it?” He chuckled as he kissed me. “This was not where we were planning to have that first part of the honeymoon.”

“What’s wrong with a series of caves in Arkansas?” I asked.

“We were supposed to be in Paris.” Colin pointed out.

“Hopefully, it will still be there when we’re…more human?” I pulled him tighter. “Whatever we are, we’re still together and now, if we’re careful, we always will be. You did promise me forever."”

 

Getting to where we were located in the Ozarks was a little more difficult for George. Burke had chosen this cave and had, through years, made sure it wasn’t developed. George arrived in vans and with the help of others, made his way below. When Taylor led him in, he rushed both Colin and me hugging us. He looked us over quickly and then turned to Burke, his eyes narrowing.

“Why did you do this?” George demanded.

“The taking of Colin and Devon was planned,” Burke said. “The turning of Devon into one of us was Devon’s idea.” He shrugged as he walked slowly over. “Trust is very hard for us. I had to be sure they could be trusted.”

Colin took Burke’s arm as he stood before George. “This is Burke. According to him, he is the oldest vampire in America. He seems like a nice guy.”

Burke nodded. “See? Even he has trouble with trust. We all do. What a person does tells whether to trust rather than what he says.”

George was angry. “At gunpoint!? They were taken with no real word as to where!” George all but yelled.

Burke gave a hesitant nod. “No harm was meant, but I had to be sure.” He looked at Colin. “I allowed George in here based on the trust I’ve extended to you and Devon. You allowed those broadcasts to attract attention. That’s what you said. It worked.” He looked at George. “What do you plan to do?”

George frowned. “First, I treat them. You’ll see how difficult the treatment is and decide it’s what you want.”

Burke nodded. “What I want is to see daylight myself, not just on TV or in movies.”

I touched George’s arm. “How is my mother?”

George shook his head. “When we realized you two were gone, she went crazy. Demanding a search of the grounds. After a day, I ended up sedating her. It was all I could do to stop her from coming with me when I told her you two had let us know where you were.” He looked at what was being brought down. The trunks and equipment I knew. “Now, let us begin.”

He prepped Colin and me. One more time, he inserted the needles in both of our hearts. This time, I knew the pain as the serum was fighting just the venom. I felt it work as the serum began to get my heart going. There was a fire inside. The pain increased! As it worked inside my whole body was burning! I now knew the pain Colin had been going through every night, but the pain didn’t stop in five minutes. Then I felt the first weak beat as my heart was coming back to life. The burning evened out but kept going as it burned steadily now. It was agony. It seemed that it would never end! I’m not sure of the passing of time, but I guess the desired results were done and slowly the serum released its grip on me. Or the venom quit fighting the serum. I was so tired and fell asleep immediately. I woke to a familiar touch of lips on mine. This time, I was getting the cloth across my face gently.

“Hi, Colin.” I greeted not even opening my eyes, but when I did, he looked so much better than he had the few hours before as he sat next to me on the bed.

“Now, you know the pain,” Colin said sadly, but he was smiling a little. “Again, this is not what I wanted for you, Devon.”

I sat up touching his face. “I don’t want it for you, either, but we made a commitment to be together. I would have died anyway, now we can do all we can to ensure that commitment of forever is met.”

Colin nodded. “I just wanted to tell you again.”

“It’s okay, Colin,” I assured kissing him with no resistance at all from him.

 

The part where I didn’t have the craving for blood was great, but I wasn’t hungry for anything yet. However, when I was presented with something…a stew of some kind. I could smell the beef, I smelled the steamed and stewed potatoes, carrots and gravy and I could even smell the other ingredients like spices used. I always got the whole smell at once, and I did now, but I knew what the ingredients were. The scent was mouth-watering. The flavor was so…intense! I thought what I had wasn’t going to be enough. I knew now why Colin ate so much! I was cautioned to take it easy as my stomach had been reprogrammed for blood. Now it was being re-reprogrammed to eat food again. It did get a little upset, but mostly just made noise.

 

We sat again at the long wooden table after the meal.

“So, what do you think we need to do now?” I asked Burke. “Are we to be Vampire Hunters?”

“Good question, and is that your whole name? It can’t be just Burke.” Colin asked smiling.

Burke nodded and smiled. “Well, my name is John Burke, but no one has used John in a while.” He grinned at us. “I guess, calling you both Wentworth would be confusing.”

I grinned. “Well, as it’s new for me, calling me Wentworth would be new, but I’m no longer a McGee.”

Burke nodded with a smile. “I’ll stick with Devon and Colin. As for what I’d like you to be, with me, too, is Vampire Locators. We’ll find them and we’ll decide what to do afterward.”

“You don’t plan to kill anyone,” I said to be clear. “Most everyone turned, had that done to them, not because they wanted to be.”

Burke nodded. “I know, but is there anything human left? That’s what we need to know. There are those that have given into the blood lust and they are just…mindless predators.”

George nodded. “We have some in New York like that.”

Colin grimaced looking at me. “I’ve done that a few times.” He frowned as I remembered him telling me about that vampire he killed on the battlefield at night during the Civil War.

George nodded. “That’s why we have the interrogation room. We need to know if the desire to drink blood is the only thing that has them going.”

Burke nodded agreeing. “That’s it exactly.” He sighed. “So, can I have this serum?”

George smiled. “It will hurt.” He warned Burke.

I leaned toward Burke. “It will hurt a lot!”

Burke sighed again. “To see the sunlight again? It will be worth it.”

“How many vampires do you have in this cell?” George asked.

“About a hundred,” Burke replied.

“How do you keep track of everyone?” Colin asked.

“We keep up by email and ledgers,” Burke answered.

“You have a computer?” Colin asked surprised, but I was surprised, too.

“We have one.” Burke grinned. “Getting the wiring down here was a bitch. No WiFi, though.”

Colin shook his head, but patted Burke on the arm. “You definitely need an upgrade. There are ways to bring you into the twenty-first century.”

“Perhaps he could do with a visit to Holms Laboratories.” George smiled. “Now that you can see it more of the world and won’t have to worry about the sun.”

          

The process of getting Colin back on track with the serum was less lengthy even if Colin was starting over again, but his body adjusted faster going back to what it was used to. My getting on track was a little more involved. Burke had the pain for the first time but didn’t give up. The third day of Burke taking the serum dawned and we walked outside.

The sun rose and I knew now what that tingling Colin mentioned was. It was like you hit your elbow just so and your whole arm tingled. This was over your entire body! Burke had the uncertainty in his eyes as the sun rose and peaked over the horizon. The first shining ray came and became brighter as more of the sun came up. I watched Burke look, and now that he could produce the moisture in his eyes, I saw them glisten. I had not been without the sunrise that long, but it was still nice to see.

 

I spoke to my mother several times and George was right, it took a lot to keep her and Gabriella from boarding a plane and coming here. I swore to her Colin and I were fine.

Burke was beginning to eat again too and loving it. Tastes he swore he forgot and now relished all of them!

Colin got a new computer system for here in the Ozarks, but not as sophisticated as Wentworth Manor and nowhere near the system in New York.

Taylor, I found was Theodor! Theodor Taylor and went by Theo. He was staying in the Ozarks to keep things going, but Burke was flying with us to Charleston. We would start there.

 

We flew to Charleston and when we arrived, both Colin and I were pounced on by my Mother and Gabriella both hugging us.

“Listen, Devon McGee…now Devon Wentworth. You do not hold things back from me. Understood?” Mother said chastising me like I was a child. I was her child, so I guess that was okay. “If you knew there was a danger I don’t know about…” she shook her head. “Why don’t I know about it? You knew someone was after you for months!”

I shrugged throwing my hands up in frustration. “I didn’t want to worry you.”

“And being kidnapped didn’t worry me!?” She shouted. “Security was frantic! I was frantic!” Then she narrowed her one eye. “Don’t do that to me ever again!” She said shaking her finger at me.

I frowned, now I had to tell her about…me being a vampire…sort of. “Well, there is something else and now that I’m here…” I sat her down. “…you see I’m fine, but…”

She sat back a little. “You’re one of them now, aren’t you?”

I was startled. “How did you know?”

She shook her head. “Because you left without any serum. There was none there until George got there." She waved at Colin. "He needs it every day or he becomes that thing again." She shook her head. "You were gone almost a week before we knew where you were. They had blood there but no serum." She sighed. "Besides, you really wanted to become one of them.”

I was shocked. “No, I didn’t! Colin refused at first, and I never…”

She nodded, but put that finger on my lips to stop me. “Yes, you did. I don’t even know if it was conscious, but I raised you. I would have wanted it if your father was a vampire and knew he’d be alone. I don’t like it, but I understand.” She looked at Burke. “He’s one, too.”

I nodded. “He’s a nice guy, Mom.”

She nodded. “He’d have to be if you brought him here.”

Burke was just staring at the house in amazement. He had done the slow spin in the center hallways as everyone did. “This beats the hell out of those caves!” He chuckled.

“We weren’t limited by the size of the caves.” Colin shrugged with a nod and then frowned. “It was nice down there, but how’d you get all that furniture in there?”

Burke grinned. “Well, over the centuries we had a lot of people in those caves and many were craftsmen. We made almost all the furniture.” He shook his head. “The wiring and plumbing…that was the hard part.”

Colin nodded. “We’ll take you to Holms Laboratories in Manhattan. The records you have? I’d like to get what you have on the others on the computer.”

Burke nodded. “I’ll let them know first.” He shrugged. “Trust, remember?” Then he looked at Colin and me. “I’m sorry about the honeymoon.”

I shrugged. “We've got a long life together now. We’ll go eventually. Maybe we can meet some of those cells in Europe.”

Mom heard that and looked at us warily. “Are there many?”

Burke nodded. “Oh, yes, quite a few.”

Mom shook her head. “I had no idea.”

Burke chuckled. “You weren’t supposed to,” Burke explained. “Many of us have no idea. We’ve just started to get contacts from other cells.” He looked at George. “I’m surprised you don’t have them.”

George said a little indignant, but he smiled. “Who says we don’t? The problem is, the older groups are less trusting. Technology is another issue. Colin and I formed the group in New York beginning in the 1940s. Our technology grew and we were at the forefront here in the United States. Other groups came later. There’s the one in Russia. There is one in China and India.” He smiled. “Of course, we’re just as bad. The serum I came up with, I will share…in person. Not by email or computer conferencing.” He then grinned at us. “And I have something new for you four.” He said pointing at Colin, Gabriella, Burke and me. “You may not have to have daily injections anymore.”

“We don’t?” Gabriella came over. “Why?”

“The whole thing is about keeping the serum levels at a certain point in your bodies,” George said. “I think I have it now.” He smiled. “I’ll be doing it, too. I developed some highly condensed form of the serum. Inserting it in you, our bodies will slowly dissolve the disc of serum. The levels should be monitored at first to make sure you’re getting enough. Instead of pain, the serum will slowly release the serum and keep the levels constant.”

Colin’s eyes widened. “No more pain!?”

George shook and nodded his head. “Theoretically.”

“We’ll be more normal than before!” Colin gasped smiling. “How long between doses? How often will we have to have a new disc put in?”

“Once a month.” George grinned. “It’s about the size of a silver dollar. Flexible and goes right under the skin, anywhere you like and you’ll barely notice it.”

Burke smiled. “I guess I chose the right time to make contact with you guys.”

“You’re carefully screening those that get the serum?” I reminded George. “I still say, in the wrong hands, it could be compromised.”

George nodded. “I haven’t forgotten that.”

“So, what do we call ourselves now? We’re much more than Holm’s Laboratories.” I smiled as Colin laughed nudging George in the shoulder. “We’re becoming a network! Vampire Nations? Vamp Net? Come on, George! You're how old? Use some imagination!”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

John Burke, if he is the oldest vampire, may surely be more than he seems so far toward George, Colin and Devon.  I just hope their instincts about him are correct...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

What? No editing or grammar lesson today! 

I only do the editing thing when I notice problems. That doesn’t mean there aren’t any misspellings or anything, just that I didn’t notice them.  ;-)

Link to comment

Great story line, but what is Burke really up to or hiding. And is he really the oldest vampire.......

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Burke had Devon and Colin kidnapped just to see if he could trust them. Then just when Colin was really starting to feel the pains of hunger for blood the only person near him that he could feed off was Devon and he vowed he wouldn't do that to him. Devon knew Colin wouldn't bite him in order to feed so he gave himself to Colin out of love and on that basis alone did Colin turn Devon into a vampire. After a few days stay in the Ozarks they returned to Charleston where Devon's mom  (Betty) figured out that he was now a vampire like Colin, Gabby, and George. As far as a honeymoon for the newlyweds it's a ways off as other things start taking priority. I'm happy they had such a nice wedding that the grooms mother and daughter did the majority of the planning for the ceremony. 

 

Link to comment

Now that you can see it more of the world  -  Now that you can see more of the world 

the sun rose and peaked over - the sun rose and peeked over 

sun rise that long, -  sunrise that long,

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..