Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,071 Words
  • 2,515 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 5: Exposed The Secrets about V5H Revealed - 10. Ralph

I always will love you, Daniel. We're still married. We vowed to love until the end of time, not till death. I still am your husband.

Colin and I were notified that the Old One was being transported from the airport by helicopter. The plane had landed at a small private airport. Were we breaking laws? I know we were. Plenty of things were brought in illegally to the United States. I know there had to be laws that applied, but on the roof when they began unloading the container, I got a movie flash; the dinosaur being released from its container into the park in Jurassic Park. It was sunset and the Old One was waking up. We planned it, for now, to protect this new Old One from sunlight. This Old One was even just as dangerous as those raptors were. The container was solid metal, but we heard the fierce and loud hiss and pounding on the door. It was cold and windy up here with the helicopter rotors going.

“He needs blood,” Colin said to me. “I don’t think talking to him will work.”

“We planned this,” I said. “We have blood.” I waved at the plastic bag of blood a man had.

“How do we get him to drink it?” Colin asked as there was another mighty pound on metal by the Old One. “He’s pretty angry.”

I nodded touching Colin’s hand. “Someone has to do this. Think what we’ve seen and they are human.” He shrugged. “He’s scared.”

“Hello!” Edwin grinned coming toward us.

I was sort of surprised with what I saw. Edwin and Matt wore the signature black leather…apparently, there was a uniform for vampires. We were joined by Willie, Mom, Alex, and Gabriella…looking at them you could not tell what various centuries they were from. All wore suits that were closely fitted and dark. “Edwin, good to see you again,” I said and thumbed toward the container. “Where did you get him?”

“In one of the old mines,” Edwin said simply. “We followed him in after he’d fed on a person. That person didn’t survive, but we got him.”

Walking over to the bags of blood, I reached and picked up two.

“Does this have that…whatever George uses in them to calm him down?” I asked.

“Yes.” Colin looked suddenly alarmed. “Wait! You are giving him the blood!?”

I nodded. “Someone has to.” I motioned toward the container. “We have sun guns and serum guns. There has to be a beginning to establish trust. To prevent him from trying to escape, turn the sun guns to the door.”

Six of the guards came to stand by me pointing the guns at the door and nodded their readiness.

I opened the container hearing the loud hissing screech and I saw the Old One. I was not surprised, he had the bald head and was naked. No scrotum and no rectum I would see. Old Ones were human and had distinctive facial features like people do. Iustina was missing the ear, remember? Repetate was taller, this one was shorter than Iustina. What I saw was terror in his eyes. He was ready to pounce on whoever was there, but the light of the flashlights and the sun guns’ harsh ray caused him to flinch back instantly from the pain. “Watch him. You’re just scaring him.”

"You said turn the sun guns on the door." A guard argued, but it was fear, not anger or frustration.

"It's okay." I said nodding. "On the door, not the Old One. You're scaring him!"

“We’re scaring him!?” One of the guards asked in disbelief.

“He is what he was made to be. He was born what he is, not made. He's scared and in pain now. That isn't helping.” I said. “He’ll have to trust me, he won’t with those constantly pointed at him." I muttered more to myself. "I wonder how Steve Irwin felt facing a crock?”

Colin turned me around quickly. “That’s not funny. He can still kill you. Be careful.” He said pleadingly to me.

I nodded, seeing his emerald green eyes full of concern. “Yes, he could.” I smiled touching Colin’s face. “I love you, too,” I said kissing him gently. “Just…watch me…I know you will. I’ll be okay.”

“You gave him the blood George made, right?” I asked the others that accompanied the Old One. “The blood with something to make him sleep.”

“I did.” My mother said. “He knows what that bag has in it.” She pointed to the bag I had.

“How did you get him from the mine cave to Thornwood?” I asked.

“He is human. I figured what works on any man would work on him.” Matt said. “He’ll have a knot on his head.” He said awkwardly as he rubbed the back of his head behind his left ear to tell me where the Old One was struck.

I nodded. “Well, then…you should probably step back.” I laughed lightly.

“It took six of us to get him into the container,” Willie said. “He’s very strong.”

“I’m going in with you,” Colin said taking my arm a little firmer than necessary.

My smile grew. “Fine,” I said shrugging. “Just don’t be…threatening.”

Stepping in first I saw the Old One cower back to the other side of the container. I held my hands up to him. “You were in England, so I hope you heard enough to understand. I’m not going to hurt you.”

This Old One looked puzzled and sniffed the air.

“That’s right. We are your grandchildren. You made us, so you can’t feed on us.” I said holding the bag up. “But you can consume this.” I held the port up. Opening it carefully and squeezed a little so the blood almost oozed, but the Old One could smell it. His nose directed his eyes to the bag. “That’s right. Blood.” I held it to him. “I’m giving it to you. Take it.” I stepped closer only to feel Colin grab my shoulder and stop me. “He’s just scared, Colin.”

“I am, too.” Colin nodded, but let me go further. He followed me as we moved.

I looked at the Old One. “Colin’s my protector.” I smiled. “He’s part of me, so…” I held the bag up to him again.

The Old One reached out and snatched the bag away and began feeding greedily.

I held up a second bag. “There are others like you here. They consume two bags, so I brought the other one.”

Like Gizmo, the only real sound he ever heard was a scream from his victims. Conversations perhaps he’d hear while hunting and two or more targets were being stalked. He looked puzzled at me. They knew how to communicate emotions well in those expressions. Iustina and Repetate had been with Vlad for decades, so they were used to other people and conversations, but this one? I don’t think he could get used to them.

“I know you’re scared,” I said quietly to him. I put my hand on my chest. “I’m Devon.” I pulled Colin up beside me, who was practically against me now. “This is my husband Colin.” I was telling him, but I was sure I’d make as much sense to him as speaking Mandarin Chinese would be for me. Like the other Old Ones, I hoped with tone and maybe something else he would understand. “What are we going to call you?”

“Call him Ralph! Who cares?” Colin blurted a little exasperated. “He needs to be in a cell.”

I turned to Colin. “And how are we planning to do that?” I asked. “Some of those long poles with ropes at the end to keep them from biting or getting away?” I shook my head. “He’s got to trust us. That won’t do it.”

Colin nodded but looked at me closer. “He is a killer, Devon.” He held his hand up. “I know. He is what was made to be, it’s not his fault, but still, …we may have to use force.”

I nodded. “Can I at least try?” I asked Colin. “I know what he is.” I looked at this Old One. “He just named you Ralph.” I grinned at our new Old One. “Colin,” I said touching Colin. “Devon.” I pointed at the Old One. “Ralph.”

Colin rolled his eyes. “I didn’t mean…”

“No. He’s Ralph.” I chuckled and again Ralph looked puzzled. What sound was I making and why? “It’s not a bad name.” I cocked my head looking at Ralph. “He does sort of look like a Ralph.” I sat down on the floor of the container with the other bag and pulled Colin down as I went to sit beside me. “We’ll be less confrontational down low.”

“Oh,” Colin said settling down.

I suddenly sat up knowing what we should do. “Take everyone that isn’t a vampire from the roof,” I said quickly. “No humans on Disflavor either. We shouldn’t take chances.”

Colin nodded. “Okay. Because you’re going to…what?”

“Bring Repetate and Iustina up here,” I said. “Have a guard at any exit from the roof, but seeing those two will help.”

“All three could run off!”

I shook my head. “I don’t think so. When Ralph sees he’s not the only one, he will also see them come up with you.” I turned to grin at him. “Or maybe Vlad should bring them up. Repetate and Iustina love him.” I saw his eyebrows rise. “They like you…” I assured, “they love Vlad.”

Colin nodded and turned. “Everyone not a vampire leaves the roof. Can someone locate Vlad? Clear the corridors from Repetate’s and Iustina’s cell and have him bring them up here?”

It took about half an hour to get the things done we needed. Ralph was watching us carefully, but he finished the bag of blood and I handed him the second. This time, he didn’t snatch it, but simply took it. The first bag was beginning to work. His hunger was being satiated and whatever was in it to calm him was working, too.

As we sat Colin scooted closer behind me, his arms came around me. It was a habit. “We don’t have to call him Ralph.” He said softly with a chuckle to me in my ear. “It was the first name I could think of.” He said kissing me behind the ear. I, of course, didn’t mind he did it…I liked his little touches and the kiss. What I noticed was Ralph’s reaction. He lowered, sat down and moved kind of closer to see what we were doing better.

I nodded. “I know he’s never even seen much affection…probably at a distance done by others he hunted.” I said smiled back at Colin. I held up my two hands with a single finger raised on each. “Colin,” I said with my right finger touching Colin. “Devon.” I touched myself. “We are married,” I explained. “We’re together.” I demonstrated by bringing the two fingers together. I smiled as I followed Ralph’s eyes as they tried to work out what I meant. “We are friends.”

Colin chuckled. “We’re a bit more…”

“Colin,” I said softly still smiling at Ralph. “He’s going to understand the different kinds of friendships!? I’m trying him to understand friendship first.” I put my hands over Colin’s arms and brought them closer. “I like him to touch me. Colin touches me because he loves me.” I watched Ralph’s eyes as he was listening. “I love him.”

“Does he understand you?” Colin asked.

I shrugged. “He’s been around a long time, he has to understand something. Repetate and Iustina understand me and Vlad. Vlad only speaks to them in Romanian and I only speak in English.” I said logically. Looking again at Ralph I smiled at him. “It’s nice to be touched. It makes me smile.”

This seemed baffling to Ralph. Was it the expressions on Colin’s and my faces? Was the combination of touch and smile?

Then I heard Romanian being spoken…not having the translator, I had no idea what Vlad was saying, but his tone was saying assuring the two he was bringing to the container. Repetate and Iustina had ridden in one of these, so thought they might again. Vlad came in holding each of their hands as he brought them in. Ralph’s expression you didn’t need language. He stood up suddenly as his eyes grew, completely surprised. He knew what they were and they knew what Ralph was and stepped back. Vlad stood firmly keeping Repetate and Iustian in place.

I reached up hands in both of their directions. “Stop!” I stood up carefully. “This is Repetate.” I touched Repetate. “This is Iustina…or earless in English.” Again with the names saying who we all were. Which they had no trouble following. “Ralph.” I pointed at the new Old One.

“Ralph?” Vlad asked. “What sort of name is Ralph?”

“I had an Uncle named Ralph.” Colin defended holding his hands up helplessly. “He was very nice, I liked him. When Devon asked, that’s the one I thought of.”

I nodded. “And it’s a good one,” I assured Colin with a kiss. “Now, see?” I reached out and took Repetate’s hand, I took Iustina’s hand…both took my hand with no problem, but were still looking at Ralph with some mistrust. Who knows how long they’d seen another of what they are? Repetate and Iustina became friends. “Friends touch. They’re my friends.” I said. I then went to Vlad. “He’s my friend.” I took Vlad’s hand. “Will you be my friend?” I asked and held my hand out to Ralph. “Friend?” I asked again. “We won’t hurt you. Will you come with us?”

Ralph looked at my hand. He still wasn’t sure…we weren’t targets, but there were others like him with them. I also saw his blink was getting longer. The sedative was working. If there was any socialization between them when their numbers were greater in the past, but all humans…even the Old Ones seemed to like when there are others. It was strange they would go back to that basic human need so easily. Ralph tentatively reached out slowly, seeing the smile that was on my face. I didn’t want to rush him. Our fingers touched. Ralph wanted to, but was he safe to do this? The first touch didn’t hurt, so he took a firmer grasp.

“Now, we’ll gently guide him out the door,” I said. “Slowly.”

Not to prolong things, but once we got him out of the container and he saw the city lights beyond the roof, heard the many sounds…his nose began to twitch as he sniffed the air. I could only imagine what he was able to pick up. All those millions of bodies…the smells of the blood combined with exhaust fumes and other pollutants. But the distance kept him from trying to get away. I also noted that the sedative was working more. He stopped looking at the roof, the height we were. He was found in a mine. Most of his life was underground, the buildings were alien to him. Knowing the area he was from and the progress man has made even in a few centuries…I wasn’t sure how he would take this world. Then he slowly collapsed.

Colin shrugged. “We could have just waited for that.”

I nodded. “Perhaps, but…we began to win a little trust. When he wakes up, he’ll know us. This helped.” I looked over at the others. “Can we get a stretcher or something?”

“On it,” Alex said racing off to do just that.

 

Getting him in the room where Repetate and Iustina used, we laid him on the floor. Never had I seen Repetate or Iustina ever use a chair or sleep in a bed.

George and John came in the cell to see what was brought. George was now fascinated by this third Old One, doing a quick examination visually.

“You’ll have more samples to go through now,” I said to George. “Once he trusts us.”

George nodded. “It will help.” He sighed. “We should show our medical minds this new arrival.” He stood up smiling. “Show them your magic.” He suggested to me.

“I told you…” I shook my head.

“No,” Vlad said coming over to me. “Remember what I said to you about when you asked me to teach you my abilities to persuade people?”

I nodded. “Through hypnosis.”

“I told you, you had it already.” Vlad grinned touching my shoulder. “Only, I said you use yours differently. Mine is to persuade. Yours is to calm and feel at ease…people will trust you first.” He hugged me. “It’s a powerful talent. It worked on me. It’s worked on every vampire you’ve spoken to so far.” He pointed to Ralph. “It will work on him.”

I was really not prepared for this, but…maybe. “I’ll begin in the morning.”

“They are breaking up for the evening,” George said bringing John close to himself. “We sort of…need to be together a while. Can we begin again in the morning?”

Colin chuckled. “That’s great, George.” He pulled me close to himself. “I could use some time with Devon.”

Vlad chuckled. “And I have Gaius.”

“Yea, us!” I chuckled.

 

Back in our apartment as Colin finished in the bathroom, he came back smiling. “I knew there was something special about you.”

I smiled as I pulled the covers down. “I suppose. I convinced you to marry me.”

Colin nodded. “You did wear down any defenses I had.” He gave a shrugging nod. “It didn’t take long. That seems like magic. No one affected me as you do.” He said putting his arms around me and kissing me gently and tenderly.

“Not even Josiah?” I grinned.

“Who?” Colin asked.

“Don’t dismiss him!” I said quickly. “He was a very important part of making you the man you are today,” I said, not quite scolding. “Without him, you could have been that old Southern slave owner who saw color as important. He taught you to see people as people.”

Colin nodded. “I grant you that.” I smiled. “However, as years passed, I think I romanticized more than I should have. If he really loved me, would he have left me?” He kissed me again. “I know you won’t. I know you love me.”

I nodded letting my hands come up his back. “I know you won’t leave me. I know you love me.”

Colin chuckled. “Now, how about we show each other what we know?”

Sorry it took so long to write. I'm getting it back. A little less manically driven.
Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Of course Devon would think of Jurassic Park!  ;-)

 

And now we see how Old Ones interact with each other initially. There has to be curiosity on both sides. But with pets like dogs, they usually recommend letting them sniff each other through a screen door so neither one can attack the other. This allows them to feel more secure while they are introduced to something new and strange. The goal is to create a harmonious pack with Devon and Vlad as the Alphas, right?  ;-)

Link to comment

I’m sure Colin and Devon pronounce the name ‘Ralf’, but since he’s from the UK, maybe it should be pronounced ‘Rafe’ (rhymes with ‘safe’) – as in Ralph Fiennes!  ;-)

 

Besides ‘ralph’ is euphemism in the US for vomiting.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Besides ‘ralph’ is euphemism in the US for vomiting.

Do you think I didn't know that?  :devil:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Of course that’s what you zero in on!  ;-)

What you said was right!  I saw it all. :fight: Different pronunciations...you should have heard Vlad say Ralph.  It was a hoot with the accent.  Oh, wait, you couldn't hear it, it was in my head.  Not yours.  Too bad.  Not the Bella Lagosi accent, but Romanian.  Deep voiced.  Dracula's gay, you know?  :rolleyes:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Another great chapter. I'm glad that Devon knew enough to think about going into the container to try to calm the old one down. I think that even after all that they've been through Colin is still leary of letting Devon do what's right. Once Devon and Colin were in the container with Ralph (the name Colin came up with) Devon started the process of trying to get Ralph to calm down by first offering Ralph some blood containing a special sedative mixed in with the blood. I'm glad that Devon thought to have all the people who weren't vampires to leave the area and to have Vlad bring Repetate and Iustinia to the container to meet Ralph. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Loved it, i hope Ralph becomes as good a friend as repeat and earless. This went much better than what happened in Jurassic Park.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..