Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,520 Words
  • 2,464 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 5: Exposed The Secrets about V5H Revealed - 20. Dr. Kevin Baxter and Ellis Thomas

Daniel! New characters, but important. You're still my guy. I love you.

I ended Christmas to get to the "meat" of this story.

The surprise of Mitch and my looking so alike went on for a while. Once this novelty was done, things settled into a very pleasant evening. Conversations flowed easily. It was only a few moments later when Mitch approached me. “I’m just asking.” He said cautiously. “These new people here…” he pointed at Vlad, Gaius, Nicolea, Helga and Gaius’s grandchildren. “Are all these people like you? Or Amasis?”

Why lie? I hadn’t before and Mitch had been more than okay with it. “Some are.” I nodded. “But not all.” I waved to Gaius as he was hugging Gina as Vlad was saying something to Rica and Jan making them laugh. “They are here because of it.”

Mitch nodded. “Okay.” He said simply.

I looked surprised at Mitch, not understanding how he just accepted what I told him. “You really don’t have a problem with any of this.”

Mitch grinned and shook his head. “I said it before and I say it again. This is so…way out there!” He chuckled. “It can’t be made up, therefore it must be true.” He patted my cheek lightly. “Besides, you have a trustworthy face.” He chuckled again and went to speak with his cousins.

I looked at everyone enjoying this time together. New friends as well old friends…not because of how old they were, but the time we’d spent together. All brought together because of the venom. Yet, the human spirit was overcoming that wrinkle as well. I felt arms come around me I knew well.

“Things are coming together nicely.” Colin rumbled in my ear softly.

I nodded slightly putting my hands on his arms to pull them even tighter around me. “This is a world I never imagined was possible or be a part of.” I chuckled. “Much better than ever dreamed of.”

“A nightmare that was made pleasant.” Colin sighed.

Turning to face him. “Yes, for you and the others. I know. Not for me.” I touched his face gently.

Colin bent his head slightly toward me, rubbing his forehead gently against mine. “I am starting to understand that more.” He said kissing me tenderly. “I know the potential to misuse this. We’ll be getting ready.”

“I know we are.”

 

 

The party, as with anything came to an end and we all parted with the usual promises to keep in touch. We had to, we were partners in business and we shared awareness of what Colin and I, along with the others and what they really were.

Christmas morning came with Jan and Gina were…children! Excited! The noise level at Wentworth rose as was expected. Colin and I joined Nicolae, Helga, Gaius, and Vlad as the children ravaged what was under the tree…with Colin’s Death Wish coffee, or course. The adults did not really exchange gifts. My gift was Colin. I didn’t want anything else. George and John came from the guest house they stayed in and that noise level reminded them of the joy of the holiday.

 

 

It was during those days between Christmas and New Year’s while going down the corridor at Wentworth my phone went off. Vibrating briefly to let me know someone was emailing me. Pulling it out of my pocket I looked quickly at the screen. Seeing it was from Edwin requesting a video call at sundown in England on a matter of something “rather of importance.” I looked at the clock on my cellphone android at calculated. That was going to be in a few hours as it was just about noon now. I quickly typed my reply asking if 3:30 pm for us…8: 30 pm for them was alright. I received “fine.” Going to the office we used here where Colin who was again on the computer…business never takes a vacation.

“Edwin wants us to make a video call to him at 3:30 to them,” I told Colin as I walked in behind him.

Colin turned puzzled. “Sure. I wonder why he didn’t just call?” He waved at the computer screen. “I’m online now.”

I shrugged. “A matter he said was a matter that was of rather of importance.” I slipped into Edwin’s accent on the last three words.

Colin’s right eyebrow rose slightly. “Wow, that even sounded like Edwin.”

I chuckled. “Between Edwin, Wayne and all those weeks spent in England, the accent was easy to pick up.” I shrugged.

Colin smiled with a nod and laugh. “For you? Yes.”

 

 

At 3:15, Colin and I got our coffees and were preparing for the call when George and John walked in the office.

“Hi, George, John.” Colin greeted our friends. “We were just about to call Edwin.”

George nodded. “He asked me to sit in on it. He said it was kind of important.”

I nodded. “I believe he said it was a matter of rather importance.”

George smiled. “You got it, too.” He looked at Colin who sipped his coffee. “Did you leave any coffee for anyone else?”

Colin rolled his eyes. “A little. You have just enough time to get a cup for you and John.” Then he shrugged. “Or we can just make more.”

 

 

At 3:30 pm precisely, Colin made the connection using Buddy. It didn’t even take a second before Edwin’s happy face appeared. “Hello! Good, you’re all here.”

“Hello.” Colin greeted looking behind Edwin as Matt sat beside him and waved at us. “You said it was important. Yes, if you just meant the four of us, we’re here. How are things in the VUN in England?”

Edwin smiled. “Very good.” He nodded. “In fact, Dr. Hathaway is looking to have a medical office in London. Sort of an extension of what we have at Thornwood for those in and around London.”

I knew there were others and she was busy. “Is she going to head that up? She’s with MI5.”

“We were looking at some medical minds to add there as they would be local,” Edwin said. “That was the idea. Sarah and Matt have increased the patrols and more teams have been covering parts away from around Thornwood and Northern England.” He looked over to the side where we could not see. “We thought we found such a mind, but…he insisted he talk to you, George, first.” He got up and motioned to the chair he had been in. “If you would, please, doctor.”

A man…he was a vampire, but in treatment as in, he was looking more human. There was color in his face and moisture in his dark eyes, but not quite there yet. He was nice looking and somewhere in his mid-forties with dark hair. He looked puzzled at the computer screen. He pointed to it. “I just talk?”

“Yes.” Edwin’s voice said. “Colin, Devon, George and John, this is Dr. Kevin Baxter. We discovered him, along with a few others in London. He’s got a few more days of treatment, but soon will be on the disc.”

The doctor smiled and looked around the screen, more at the computer as if he tried to figure out how it worked. “This is amazing.” He looked at what he saw on his screen. “Forgive me, but this technology is still new for me. The most I ever saw was the tele when we got one down below in 1981. I knew there were marvels...” His accent was…aristocratic. He was educated and articulate. His accent was different than Edwin’s or Wayne’s, but clearly British. “Remarkable.” He looked at the images he saw. “If you don’t mind, let me know who is whom?”

Colin nodded. “I’m Colin Wentworth.” He raised his hand and put his hand in mine. “This is Devon Wentworth, my husband.” He held his hand out to George on the other side of me. “This is Dr. George Holm and his fiancé, John Burke on the end.”

The doctor’s face grew a smile hearing that. “Really?”

I didn’t sense disgust, but he seemed happy we said that. “You know it’s legal for us to marry now?”

Dr. Baxter nodded. “I heard, but...I knew some here that were talking about it in England...”

“Is that a problem, Doctor? Who we are or that we are married and George and John are getting married?” I asked.

He shook his head. “No! No problem at all.”

“Blimey! We’re all King Lear ‘ere!” The accent I heard was a very different, deep-voiced but clearly, a British accent said, but thicker. The annunciation was different.

“Yes, Ellis.” Dr. Baxter rolled his eyes. “That is the voice of...” he hesitated, “my devoted...companion for the past century.” He looked off screen for us and motioned to someone to come toward him.

“Companion is it?” The voice repeated dourly and a man slipped into the chair Matt had sat in. Dark hair I could see was either dark brown or black. He was handsome, too. By their structure and what I saw on the screen of the two men seated, Dr. Baxter was shorter than this other man who was a little leaner in the face. He was maybe five years younger in appearance than Dr. Baxter. I have learned not to judge appearances anymore. “Yeh, we’re just mates.” He gave Dr. Baxter a light punch in the arm as someone did as chums. The newer man waved at us on the screen. “Everyone around us is ginger beer!” The accent was thick, but charming to me and flowed naturally from this man. I couldn’t help but smile at him. They were vampires, but very comfortable with each other and Ellis…in spite of what he had become, was a happy man!

Dr. Baxter nodded patting this new man on the arm. “This is my friend, Ellis Thomas.”

Colin’s, George’s and John’s confusion here were evident. The new man’s accent was different and you missed things if you didn’t listen.

“He means to say, we are all apparently...in homosexual relationships.” Dr. Baxter confessed hesitantly. “Which I find…curious.”

George nodded and smiled. “It’s not really curious or odd. There is an explanation.”

The new doctor nodded. “Because this venom changes us.” He said, not as a question, but something he had suspected before. If they were just receiving treatment, he wouldn’t have known about the venom until recently. Even if he heard about it over the computer or in communications by us with VUN. He said it to confirm what he already thought about something he knew about.

“That’s right,” George confirmed. “I can give you a more complete explanation on the psychology and adjustments when seeking companionship, but you said that as if you knew about the venom and effects before.”

Dr. Baxter nodded. “My observation was leading me to that conclusion.”

“You are a doctor of medicine,” George said to confirm.

“I was.” Dr. Baxter said sadly. “Before this venom.”

“’e was the best doctor in London,” Ellis said proudly.

“Thank you, Ellis.” Dr. Baxter said taking and squeezing Ellis’ hand. They were from the same city, were the same race but as different as night and day! Dr. Baxter was just as devoted to Ellis as he claimed Ellis was to him.

“Yes.” George was getting excited a little, not about Ellis and Dr. Baxter, but Dr. Baxter’s knowledge and understanding of the venom. “You’ve seen the venom? You knew of it before.”

Dr. Baxter nodded. “I discovered what it was back in 1910.” He said. “The problem I had was keeping it around long enough to see it. It decayed so quickly.” He said frustrated.

I looked at George who was leaning in closer to the screen. I knew someone else could have reached the same results. George was now enthralled with this new doctor.

“I was a physician for almost twenty-five to thirty years before I was bitten.” Dr. Baxter said. “That was in 1890.” He looked at Ellis. “We were bitten the same night when that creature invaded my home. I tried to keep up with it, but science has progressed and I didn’t have the equipment or knowledge to do much. I studied the effects for decades.”

George smiled now bigger. “Of course, but you tried!” He shook his head. “You understand how the venom works? You’ve seen it under a microscope and know it’s makeup?”

Dr. Baxter nodded. “His and mine mostly, but certainly I do. That’s why I was anxious to speak with you, Dr. Holms.” Dr. Baxter said. “I would love to pursue this in more depth with you.”

Forget about us. Colin, John and I were being...not quite...moved to the side as George was moving closer to the screen. “Please! I would love that!”

“I am not up with a lot of the technology, but I am a quick study.” Dr. Baxter assured. “This serum you came up with...it's quite effective.”

“It bloody ‘urt!” Ellis rubbed his chest.

I was smiling at Ellis in spite of the fact they didn’t understand all of what he said. I did! “It does hurt.” I said more to confirm my understanding with him.

“’ell, ya, it ‘urt!” Ellis claimed again. “I nearly pissed meself!”

Colin grinned at me, more about my reaction than what Ellis was saying. “You understand him?” He asked me.

I nodded. “Sure, I do!”

Dr. Baxter put a tolerant smile on his face and squeezed Ellis’ hand tighter. “Ellis, you must remember...not everyone understands your...unusual colorful communication. It’s fine, just slow down.” He looked at us. “He really does speak proper English. He just slips when he is angry or excited. It’s a compliment to you that he’s comfortable enough to be himself.”

Colin moved closer to my ear. “I wonder if the Delkenzie Program will work with him.” He chuckled.

I shook my head without looking at Colin. “Why? I understand him perfectly!” I grinned at Ellis.

Ellis smiled and waved again at his screen. “See? ‘e understands!”

“It’s Cockney!” I said happily.

“You understand Cockney but didn’t know about faggots.” Colin grinned,

“Ooh, faggots…I remember those!” Ellis’ eyes grew as he grinned. “I vaguely remember the taste.”

“They can make them at Thornwood! Nettie made them for us.” I smiled at Ellis' growing smile. I looked at Colin. “Though they are the only ones I’ve had.”

“We’ll have them again.” Colin shook his head. “But you understood him? I just got a word or two.”

“Sure.” I nodded. “You just listen. You also have to remember, I watch a lot of TV and I loved a lot of BBC programs and many shows that featured this…unique language. What he’s using is very light, I’ve heard some that were harder. His is speaking English.” I looked back at Ellis. “What part of the East End did you live in?”

“Near what’s now West Ham Park,” Ellis said sadly. “A lot it was destroyed during the Second World War and the blitz.”

“I understood that,” George said. “It really isn’t fair though. Devon can communicate with everyone.” George said confidently. “What day is this for you, Dr. Baxter? I’d say you completed day two from your pallor.”

“Yes, we are entering day three.” Dr. Baxter said rubbing his own chest remembering the pain.

George smiled hearing that. “You get to eat!” He said happily. “I would love to work with you, Doctor. Get finished with the serum, have those disks put in and we’ll fly you here!”

“Please, call me Kev.” The doctor smiled. “If it’s alright, I can call you George?” He asked politely.

“Ha’, don’t forget me!” Ellis said to everyone but looked at Kev when he said it. “You’re daft if you think of tottering off to the States without me!”

Kev smiled again to us and had a look of tolerance he’s developed with Ellis. “I wouldn’t dream of it.” He assured Ellis. He looked back at the screen. “We have another few days to take the serum.”

“I can send what I have so far to you,” George said. “If you want to look at it.”

Kev looked puzzled. “Okay, how are you doing that exactly?”

George smiled. “There have been some advances in technology. One of those things is a recording of the venom. A recorded image of the venom, it’s the reaction to the serum. You won’t need a microscope. You’ll be able to see it on the screen you’re looking at now.”

“Really?” Kev said again in amazement. “I can’t wait to see it!” He looked toward Edwin. “Will you let me see it here?”

“Most certainly. I’ll show you what to do to pull it up.” Edwin’s voice replied. “But we need to start tonight’s dose.”

“Well, we will talk again tomorrow,” Kev said smiling. “I look forward to speaking with each of you again.”

Ellis grimaced. “Catch ya later.” He winked at us.

“One thing,” I said smiling at them. “Before you even think of eating faggots again, when you do eat…you will have to worry about…” I smiled at Ellis, “forgive me, I know just some of Cockney Rhyming Slang. I will use it wrong but watch for tom tit.”

Ellis grinned grandly at my usage and Kev’s eyebrows rose. I even heard Matt chuckle in the background. He was raised in London a while and probably knew what it meant. Edwin wouldn’t have been exposed before he was bitten and hadn’t been back in the world to learn it.

Matt’s face came into view. “We’ll make you into an Englishman yet! You’re well on the way.”

“I look forward to speaking to all of you again,” Kev said sitting back.

Edwin’s face came into view. “We’ll be in touch.”

“Cheerio!” I said to them making Ellis and Kev chuckle.

Once the screen went blank. I looked at Colin, George, and John.

“What!?” John finally said in exasperation. “I didn’t understand but a word or two from that Ellis guy. King Lear? I know what ginger beer is as a drink...” he shook his head. “Tom tit? That was not English!”

“Yes, it was. I’d say the length of time he’s been with Kev, he learned how to tone it down.” I chuckled. “Some of what he used was Cockney Rhyming Slang. There was a show I loved that had a lot in it. I had to look it up. I don’t remember it all, but…” I explained as they looked with disbelief. “I’m not kidding, I watched several shows that had it on the show.” I waved at the screen. “I don’t have it all...not by a long shot. King Lear is queer. So is ginger beer. Tom tit is…well…shit.” I sat back shaking my head. “I half expected to hear that song Chim Chim Chimeny from Mary Poppins!” I grinned even more as I made a realization. “Actually, the time frame for Ellis and Kev is about the same time that movie Mary Poppins was set in the turn of the century.” I smiled at all their blank faces. “Sorry, I forgot. You were all before that time. I grew up knowing Mary Poppins and other movies.” I remembered when they were bitten. “That’s a movie, Mary Poppins and the turn of the century is the 19th to the 20th century in London.” I grinned. “I wonder if shaking Ellis’ hand means good luck?”

Colin was just mystified. “What!?”

I brought him for a kiss. “It’s okay, you probably didn’t see children’s or family movies. Shaking hands with a chimney sweep is supposed to be good luck.” I said simply. “I bet he’s done it. I’ll get the movie and show it to you.”

Colin shook his head again. “And you don’t think you have a gift!?” He leaned in kissing me as I was about to reply. “No! You do! You understood Repetate, Iustina, and Ralph before the translator was added. You understood that guy.” Then he shook his finger at me almost scolding like a parent. “Now, you’re viewing habits...when did you study!?” He looked frustrated. “You’re smart, you went to school, but when did you have the time to watch all that?”

“It was relaxing.” I grinned. “Do I mention My Fair Lady? That was the name of another movie, not the show on Broadway. I was getting that with Kev and Ellis, too.”

George shook his head. “From them?” He asked. “I saw the movie, but...”

“Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn.” I gave a grudging nod. “Well, clearly Dr. Baxter is Rex Harrison, there is no Audrey Hepburn except for the Cockney part, but that was what I got.”

George was now smiling more. “I think Dr. Kevin Baxter will be very helpful in helping me discover more about the venom and serum.”

“He has a lot of catch up learning to do.” John reminded George.

George nodded. “A cell is a cell. It just is. Dr. Baxter seemed smart enough.” He smiled more. “It will be easier getting him up to speed than any of the others.” He leaned in grabbing John’s head, bringing him in for a happy, loving kiss. “I’m excited about this!”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The Delkensie machine should be able to translate Cockney, but the idioms and slang would probably be somewhat difficult to explain. My experience with Cockney is from Eastenders, the British soap opera set in a fictional part of London’s East End. Until a just few years ago, most viewers would recognize Pauline Fowler as the former Miss Shirley Brahms from the classic BritCom, Are You Being Served?  ;–)

Link to comment
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

The Delkensie machine should be able to translate Cockney

Yes, it could.  There is a database with the frequently used slang and the meanings.  That could easily be downloaded.  I have been working with another and...well...it adds some more color to the story.  I kept it simple so it could be read and understood by readers, if I did it phonetically...I can't say more or I tell what's going to happen.  :hug:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Quote

I ended Christmas to get to the "meat" of this story.

He admitted it! R Eric is the one who killed Christmas! A Southerner! Not a Socialist Yankee or a radical Californian! A real live Southerner! R Eric killed Christmas!  ;–)

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

R Eric is the one who killed Christmas!

It's been Christmas for over four months!  It was time, damn it!  :blink:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, R. Eric said:

 I kept it simple so it could be read and understood by readers, if I did it phonetically...I can't say more or I tell what's going to happen.  :hug:

 

Don't keep it simple for me guvnor, I understood every blooming word. Now I asking , nay I'm begging ya guvnor let Ellis have some fun ... I already love that man.

 

I can hear Baxter in my head with his ever so slightly the 'Duke of VUN' aristocratic accent, I bet he's Lord ????  or the son of Lady Mary the daughter of a Duke who married a Doctor. 

 

Gawblimey I'm really looking forward to seeing Ellis grow and what he'll do in VUN. The old ones I reckon would understand him as he's so open they'd be able to read him and he'd be good with them. It'll be fun to get him a little elephant or Brahms as his cockney sel' would come to the fore. His first meal just has to be a Ruby Murray.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Ruby Murray.

Curry?  I'm not keeping it simple for you.  I'm thinking of everybody.  There are those of us...not me...that just don't quite get it.  I don't get a lot of it.  Of course, you love Ellis.  Duh!  I'm working on blending Dr. Baxter and Ellis in with the VUN International.  What I have planned....well, they will be used a lot.  So will the VUN Great Britian, VUN United States and VUN Romania!!  (I shouldn't have said that.  Shhh!  Keep that par' o the jackonay in yer sky rocket, mate.)  :X

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 5/5/2018 at 4:08 PM, R. Eric said:

It's been Christmas for over four months!  It was time, damn it!  :blink:

It’s been Christmas for about two centuries!  ;–)

Link to comment

Great chapter! Outstanding new characters, love the slang and dynamics of this new couple. I am looking forward to the next chapter! 😃

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Another great chapter.  This is a really great story and every chapter you write adding new characters in the different areas the VUN just adds a different level of fun. I really enjoyed the Cockney slang even though I don't understand most of it it's fun to try to figure out what is being said. I hope that Dr Baxter and Ellis do get involved with the VUN International as well as VUN Great Britain. I'm sure that Edwin and the teams there could be a good asset for them. I think Dr Baxter will be a great asset to George with his research with finding a cure for the vampirism. I love the story and the story quite a bit it's got so many characters who are individuals with their own personality. Thanks for writing it for us to enjoy. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

How do you come up with all of these great characters and with such well formed and different personalities. You're a genius!!😘

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

From time to time I read stories on GA written by Australian authors. It took me weeks to be able to understand the slang they used. Now I've got to learn to translate cockney as well -- heaven help a poor American!!!!

Remember the quotation from the Canadian/American Peace Arch located on the border at Blane, Washington: "Two countries separated by a common language." No, that is not a quotation, it is a joke circulated through both Canada and the USA.
I recently listened to a portion of Elizabeth II's Christmas Message from the BBC. Her upper-class accent mixed in with the Royal "We" immediately lost me and I had to read the subtitles, obviously printed on the screen for us poor Yanks who cannot understand the "Queen's English."

Edited by Will Hawkins
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..