Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,785 Words
  • 3,830 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 11. Chapter 11

Seth and I were getting things together for our long trip. Supplies were bought and stored in the carriage. But as far as the winery and vineyard were concerned, things needed to be done there also. Like who was in charge while we were gone. Seth said we’re not just going next door. He put a foreman in charge of the vineyard and I looked for someone who could keep up with the inventory and things needed in the winery. The most capable person was Helen. A young woman about thirty, to say she was pretty was not quite true. Though not attractive to me, that was because I liked the male form more. She had sort of blonde hair, in the summer. While not thin she carried herself with confidence. Blue eyes, but more importantly, she could read and do math! But could she handle the men under her control? Could she make them listen and do what she deemed necessary? She proved to be quite capable. Our new friends, Zek and Gabe were busy getting their little house in order. The main focus now was the roof. Spring was here and the rains would begin, so Seth and I helped them get the roof repaired. Much to Zek’s and Gabe’s surprise! I mean, where was it written that because you were a prince you couldn’t do hard work? Which we did. Their stove had been delivered, while it was not brand new, it worked! And Seth and I got to understand why the two had said that what they cooked was barely edible. It was that. Barely edible. The promise of a bathroom spread through town. Soon nearly every man in town was helping Zek and Gabe if only to see this new bathroom! The tub, hot water tank, and toilet were waiting. But even so, there were still a few who just couldn’t adjust to the two living together.

A woman watched as Zek and Gabe joked and were at perfect ease with each other. While not quite feeling as free as Seth and me, expressing affection was done between the two in the form of touches, not in any inappropriate way, and occasionally a kiss. “It’s just wrong.” She said flatly.

I looked at her. “Why?”

“They are two men!” She pointed out the obvious. “It’s not natural.”

“You do realize Seth and I are like them.” I reminded her.

She gave a shrugging nod. “You’re different.” She said. “You married him to put a king on the throne.”

“Who’s not on the throne now.” I pointed out. “But we’re still married.” I looked at her. “Did you ever consider the idea that maybe, just maybe…there is love involved?”

She blinked, looking at me. “I don’t see how.”

I shrugged. “But you aren’t involved with the relationship or our marriage. I love Seth more than I ever imagined I could love another human being. It is clear that Zek and Gabe feel the same for each other, but can’t marry. But should be able to. It seems perfectly natural to me.” Then I smiled. “I don’t recall God ever consulting any man how to design a human being. So, how do you know it’s not by design?”

She just looked at me, thinking about what I told her. Then nodded and let the topic drop.

Speaking with Seth, he talked with Gabriel’s father, Norton. Seth was able to find out what the problem was for Norton with Gabe’s and Zek’s relationship.

Seth frowned as we relaxed in our tub of steaming water. “He’s scared.”

I nodded. “That’s understandable. Zek and Gabe’s relationship is going to have resistance. It’s a hard path they’re going down.”

Seth nodded coming closer. “It will be.” He agreed. “But they aren’t stupid. They knew there would be problems, yet were willing to put up with it.” He sighed, his arms coming around me. “But I was right. If their parents are okay with it, they’ll have the support of family. And the more the people see them, the more normal it will be here. And Eb, Zeks’ father will pound that fact home.” He grinned. “Literally.” He said kissing me lightly.

I pulled him to me. “I almost hate to miss it,” I admitted. “But we need to see Christian and Ella.”

Seth nodded. “We will.”

Again, lovemaking was practiced and perfectly natural for us.

 

The horses were hitched and we rode out, stopping by Zek and Gabe’s home. The house was looking much better than when we first saw it. The roof was repaired and looked solid. Seth and I had been a reason, we helped repair it! Gabe put an arm around Zek as they said goodbye to us for a while.

“I don’t envy the trip you’re taking,” Zek admitted. “It’s a long way.”

I nodded. “But it was my home. And I want to see that new nephew of mine.”

Gabe smiled. “Family is very important.” He agreed. “Have a safe journey. We’ll see you in a few months. By then we should have this place in shape to entertain.”

Seth chuckled. “Which we will be glad to come to…providing one of you learns to cook!”

Gabe rolled his eyes. “It’s going to be a few months. Give me a break!”

Seth laughed. “It doesn’t have to be you!” He glared at Zek. “See you.” He gave a small shake of the reins and we started off.

 

As it was Spring, the weather during the day was warm, but nights were still a little cold. The magic rocks supplied by Lukus were gone, so we just used regular coal. But the enchantment he’d put on the carriage to make it not be a target for theft was still working. No one was very interested in a carriage they’d never seen before. We did again travel by day and camped at night, checking in the occasional inn for a good night’s sleep, a hot bath, and a hot meal. Again we were met with some that didn’t understand about our being married, but looking at both Seth’s and my rings, the rings that had our family crests on them, not our wedding rings, they kept silent about it.

“Why should because who we are be a factor?” Seth wondered. “Gabe and Zek don’t have rings like this.”

I shrugged. “That’s why they need to stay in Royal Valley.”

Again, we were facing no real deadline, so we took our time. Well, we did have a kind of deadline, as in Christian’s birthday was coming and I wanted to be there. Christian and I still corresponded by Demetrius. So, our arrival was anticipated. I merely told Demetrius to let Christian know where we were so Christian would know when to expect us. We took a full two weeks to enter the outskirts of A’Dore’s capital. Making a stop at an inn just on the edge of town so we could head to the palace in the morning, having had a hot bath and cleaned up before seeing our family.

Clean and ready, we rode the rest of the way to the white spires of A’Dore’s palace. As good as it was to see the castle, again, it didn’t feel like I was coming home. Seth was my home. I was glad to be there because of Ella and Christian! The people of A’Dore all waved as we rode through the streets knowing who we were, at last entering the gate of the castle. And there was our family. Christian had not changed much, nor had Ella, but now there were four children with them. The tall, almost lanky little boy eight years old now in front of Christian, two little girls who were now six and a baby held in Ella’s arms. Edward was not quite a year old. Climbing down from the carriage, Christian stepped around his son, Thomas and slammed his body against me as he grabbed me in a heartfelt hug.

“Welcome back!!” Christian greeted happily as he rocked us both in the hug. Kissing me on the cheek. “My brother is back!”

It was so good to see them all! Ella looked as glamorous as always! Seth was equally hugged and greeted.

I grinned at Christian. “Where’s Thomas?” I pretending not to know.

Thomas rolled his eyes. He was too grown up for those games now. “Oh, come on, Uncle Erik, you know it’s me.” He said hugging me.

I held him back. “Impossible!” I grinned. “You’re almost as tall as your father!”

“I’m told that’s what happens,” Thomas replied.

“Hello, Uncle Erik.” Ana greeted curtsying and Ada did also.

“What beautiful young women!” I hugged each.

Ella came forward. “And this…” she held the blonde boy, whose hair was so blonde you had to be looking right at him to see. “…is Edward.”

As he didn’t know me, I was hesitant at taking him, but I couldn’t refuse. He was part of me! But he tolerated it well. Looking at me with large blue eyes. “Hello, Edward.”

Christian had hugged Seth but looked at him calmly. “I was sorry to get word about your father. And about what happened to you and Erik.”

Seth nodded. “Well, that drama is finally over. The Thornes are all gone now. What happened to Erik and me is in the past. We’re good.” He smiled brightly. “So how does it feel being thirty?”

Christian grinned. “I’m not there yet. A week more.”

“A week,” Seth said dourly. “Is that really important? But you’re there nearly four years before me…so, what’s it like?”

 

Being back was great. I paint an image that things are very good in A’Dore. But with any town or country with humans, there is not so good. There were the dishonest, cruel and not so pretty here as well. Criminal behavior in the capital was dealt with severely, so it was less common. But there were other crimes, or what I considered a crime that was hard to see, much less deal with. Family issues were the hardest to deal with. Like it was in Blethos, the king almost never got involved in a ruling of any crime, there were judges to do that. Ella never did. But a woman was brought to the court having killed her husband. She was brought in and she had bruises on her face, a lip that was healing but you could see where she had been hit very severely. There were bruises on her arms and body.

“Mrs. Burke.” The judge said not even looking up at her. “You have been charged with the murder of your husband. How do you plead?”

The woman was clearly upset, but not because she had committed a crime. “He was going to kill me! He was drunk, which he was almost every night! This time, I just knew he would kill me. I had to stop him. I didn’t mean to kill him! What would happen to our children? I had to protect them!”

“How do you plead?” The judge repeated sounding irritated.

“One moment!” Ella said standing from beside her place at Christian’s side.

“Your Highness.” The judge bowed to Ella.

Ella walked over and took the paper that the judge was reading from. It took a few minutes for Ella to read the paper, frowning. “There are many testimonies from neighbors where they say that her husband would often hit her. Beating her on many occasions.” She pointed out.

“But she killed her husband.” The judge said simply.

Ella nodded. “If a man were being beaten, and he killed another man in self-defense…”

“But he was her husband!” The judge claimed.

Ella shook her head. “That gives him the right to assault his wife!?” She asked because clearly, this judge was not seeing reason. “He married her, supposing he did that because he loved her. I hope. That marriage does not give a man the right to kill or harm anyone. Let alone his wife!” She looked at Christian. “Surely you don’t think she should face charges. It’s clearly written here!” She waved the paper.

Christian smiled shaking his head. “I don’t.” He looked at the judge. “Enter a plea of not guilty. And the ruling will be, not guilty.”

The judge bowed. “It will be as you say. But there are many cases like this. We have no laws to prevent this! A man has to control his family.”

Christian shook his head. “There are laws for this. If a man feels he’s threatened. If he feels his life is in danger, he can use deadly force to stop it. And the ruling would be not guilty by reason of self-defense. Why shouldn’t that ruling be the same for a woman who happens to be married to the one she’s accused of killing?” He got up and took the paper Ella was holding and read it briefly. “The abuse is documented. It was clearly self-defense.” Then he looked at the judge. “I’m surprised at you for not seeing this. I will make a ruling. She is not guilty. And all those other cases like hers. If there is documented proof of abuse, those accounts should be weighed before rendering a verdict.” Then he gave the paper back to the judge. “Understood?”

The judge bowed again. “Of course, Your Majesty.”

Christian looked at the woman. “You’re free to go.”

The woman was crying in gratitude. Bowing to Christian and Ella as her shackles were unfastened. “Thank you, Your Majesty. Thank you.”

Seth and I smiled at each other as Christian and Ella sat near us.

“Nice,” I said in a whisper to Christian.

He grinned and shrugged. “It’s not called justice if it isn’t just.”

Ella leaned to see past him to me. “And he knows, if he tried that with me…” she ended the statement unfinished.

Christian smiled but shuddered. “Perish the thought!”

 

All the countries’ issues continued. But all was pretty good. We spent time together, enjoying each other’s company. Little Edward had gotten used to Seth and me. Even began to prefer Seth as his favorite uncle. I should have been jealous! But it was great to see the little boy take to Seth so well. There must be something about the men of the royal family of Blethos. Michael loved his grandfather and now Edward loved Seth! But I had to agree. I loved Seth, too. But Seth was like his own father, not afraid of making those silly faces to Edward who found that delightful and laughed at his uncle. Nor was Seth bothered as Edward would babble to him.

“You know?” I grinned as Edward laughed at another face Seth gave him. “It’s almost a shame we can’t have a child.”

Seth chuckled. “Well, we’re missing a key item.” He said. “A mother. Neither you or I can do that.” Then he looked at me. “Would you have sex with a woman to do that? We’re married!”

“I’m not suggesting either of us have sex with a woman.” I rolled my eyes. “Really, Seth.” I groaned. “You never thought about it?”

He shook his head. “It was never a possibility, so why would I?”

I nodded. “There are hundreds of parents that die, leaving children alone. There are orphanages. We could see about taking one of them.”

His eyes grew. “But it won’t be our child.”

I shrugged. “So?” I got closer to him. “It will be if we take them home.” I reasoned. “While it won’t be part of me or you, we can raise it. It would be our child.”

Seth wasn’t stupid, but like he said. Having one was not a possibility, so he never considered it. “I suppose.” He ran it through his mind. “But with you and me, we sort of know what that child would be made from. Us! With someone else’s child, you don’t.”

“Being born in a family doesn’t mean much,” I said cautiously. “The Thornes were from your family. Look how they turned out.”

He grimaced. “I grant you that.” He nodded.

“And even your father said that their grandfather or great-grandfather…whatever…was a little mad.” I pointed out. “So there’s no guarantee with that line.”

Seth looked at me. “You’re serious.”

I shrugged taking my nephew’s hand as he reached for me. “I am.”

Seth nodded. “Can we talk about it more?”

I nodded. “Of course. It’s not a decision we need to make now.” I said. “But even wealthy families die. With good people creating children that are now alone. They need homes.” I smiled kissing him gently. “It’s just another thought.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

And he (I can't see Eric and Seth adopting a girl) will be a distant heir to the thrones of both A'Dore and Blethos, assuming that the laws in A'Dore are similar to Blethos.

Link to comment
On 11/21/2016 07:38 PM, droughtquake said:

And he (I can't see Eric and Seth adopting a girl) will be a distant heir to the thrones of both A'Dore and Blethos, assuming that the laws in A'Dore are similar to Blethos.

Please, they haven't even flown a kite during a storm to "discover" electricity! Laws about adoption, whether they can or can't aren't even on the books. But the child would be a prince or princess, but there are heirs to the throne of each already, so no problem.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I believe that if Seth and Erik wanted to adopt a child that for one thing it would have a safe and stable home in which to live. Not only would the child be a distant heir to the throne they would already be considered a part of the Royal families as the child wouldn't be just an heir to the throne in Blethos but also in A'Dore as well. I'm happy that their both open to talking about it and if they decide to adopt a child where would they adopt it from Blethos or A'Dore. It appears that Seth is like Alex in so many ways one of which is making faces to a baby to get them to smile or laugh. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..