Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,903 Words
  • 4,436 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 2. Chapter 2 Cleaning up Thorne Damage

We decided a party was just what the people would need and enjoy. Thorne might have been their employer, but he spent little time with the people that made his success. And little time in the vineyard or winery. A week after Seth and I celebrated my birthday and our anniversary was when it was to be. We were providing the food and wine. The news of what we were intending spread fast. People were getting excited and preparing the square and making plans on how to celebrate. All the while, Seth and I were planning the celebration of our anniversary. The house was being decorated for the festivities. The guests’ rooms were being readied for Seth’s brother, King Samuel and Queen Terry, or rather Queen Theresa which was her formal address. There was another being readied for their father, Alexander if he came.

I was again doing the books, we were paying for all this, so I made sure to account for every piece of gold spent. Being the godson of someone capable of doing magic, I wasn’t startled when an envelope appeared on my desk from nowhere. Demetrius promised to bring messages back and forth between Christian and me. I grinned seeing my brother’s handwriting. He could write very neatly and almost artistic when necessary. I smiled at his casual scrawl. Picking up the letter, I read quickly.

“Happy birthday! I know it isn’t here yet, but I wanted you to know, Edward is cutting a tooth and will be eating like crazy soon, as Ella claims she can barely keep him fed now.” I grinned as I read about their new son, their fourth child. “I wish Demetrius could transport one of us back and forth. Letters are fine, but I’d love to see you. You need to see Edward! He’s beautiful! All my children are beautiful, but…I’m a proud Papa. I wouldn’t mind a visit soon, we have the room. Me traveling there is more of a problem. I am king, after all. Country to run? You do remember that? Ella misses you, the kids miss you…but I miss you the most. You could be such a pain in my backside at times, but I’d welcome you back in a heartbeat.

You and Seth are getting ready to celebrate one year of marriage. From what I hear, it’s going very well with the two of you. Happy Anniversary, too. We’re fine but would like to see both of you. Please plan a trip soon. You’re my brother. I love you. Give my best to Seth. Christian.”

I smiled feeling that pang of emptiness without those wonderful people. We were brothers, yes, but we were best friends, too. I jotted a note saying we were thinking of them and would plan a trip soon, probably when it was spring. A trip of this length was not something some just took. Even with that great carriage, Lukus gave us, it took planning and more important, time. I really did love them all. I sealed the letter. “Demetrius, please?” And smiled as the letter disappeared.

Having a nephew I’d never seen was a pain I didn’t like. But it couldn’t be helped. I got up and walked out the back, looked over the vineyard and spotted Seth and a few workers assembling the heaters. This was turning into a task, from what I observed. The wagon near them was loaded down with some clay looking things, almost bowls, but huge! Thinking again about just going out there to share what Christian had said, I decided to wait until he came home. I went into the winery instead where workers were putting the wine that was ready into bottles. I was watching as a young woman, Christina, a pretty blonde woman about my age, was crying to another worker, an older woman in her mid-forties. Walking over, I frowned. “What happened?”

The older woman shook her dark head streaked with grey. The young woman now looked terrified. “It’s nothing.” The young woman said quickly with a sniff.

I didn’t like this. What was she afraid to tell me? “It’s something that brought tears. What is it?”

Now Christina was sobbing. “I need this job! I can’t lose it.”

Now, I really didn’t like this. “What? Why would you lose the job? You’re a good employee.”

“I’m pregnant.” Christina sobbed.

My eyes widened. “Do I say congratulations? You do want children, I assume. Why does that mean you’ll lose the job? Is there no one to keep the baby while you work?” I asked.

“I want a child, yes….” Christina looked at me confused. “Sure, my mother can keep the baby when it’s born, but aren’t you going to let me go?”

I know, I shouldn’t have been surprised. “Did there use to be a policy about female employees that become pregnant?”

The older woman frowned. “Of course. Being pregnant means no work.”

“Why?” I asked not understanding yet.

“No work, no job, no pay.” The older woman said. “Mr. Thorne said…”

“Thorne!?” I ground out angrily causing both women to jump. “You’re going to quote his policy to me!?” I closed my eyes and tried to calm down. “He was a murderer, a traitor and a bastard of a man! There’s only one, in my book lower than Thorne and that’s Satan himself! And those two are very close in distance.” I opened them to see shocked looks on both their faces. “Thorne!” I spat, I mean I really spit his name was so foul on my palate. That was a huge no-no. A gentleman didn’t spit in the presence of ladies. “What he did to my husband, and his brother, who is now your king. If I could, I’d resurrect Thorne and prolong torture that would kill him again! He nearly ruined a beautiful human being. Seth has a wonderful soul.” I stepped closer causing them both to back up. “You can’t work because you’re pregnant?” I shook my head. “My sister-in-law just gave birth to her fourth child. She’s a queen. Do you think she lost her job because she was pregnant!?” I asked incredibly. “Christina, do you feel like you can work, not that you have to, but do you feel like anything has changed? Can you work?”

Christina nodded. “Certainly.”

I smiled and took her hand gently. “I’m sorry for startling you before, but you have your job. You’re a bottler and also work with the press. You do good work. That’s that! Now, later…if for any reason, you feel you can’t let me know and I’ll find you something else.” I looked at the older woman. “In fact, I’m letting everyone know, being pregnant is not grounds for dismissal! You can even help in the office.”

“The office?” Christina brightened, but still a little worried. “But I can barely read. There wasn’t a lot of money for school.”

“You can clean.” I shook my head. “Thorne was a fool, too!” I growled, thinking of Thorne. “We need to come up with a way to educate. Not only my employees but the town and its children. Cost is not the main thing. It’s an investment in the future!” I said more adamantly than I intended. “Sorry, that man just makes my blood curdle, even though he’s dead.” Then I looked at the women. “We’re making new policies. On a lot of things.” I smiled at Christina. “Your husband is James, right? The apprentice at the butcher?”

She looked surprised I knew that. “He is.”

“It’s not a big town.” I grinned. “Tell James not to worry. You’ll be fine.” I wiped a tear from her face with my handkerchief. “Don’t worry, I’ve never used it, it’s clean, I swear. I’m happy you're starting a family. You should be, too. Stress is bad for a baby, so stop it.” Watching her smile. “Okay?”

Both women were happy, Christina was very happy. The other woman looked like she didn’t believe me yet.

“I go through with my promises,” I told her. “Things are going to change. And for the better.” I gave Christina a squeeze on the arm. “Trust me.”

Christina was up in a flash and hugged me. “I do! Thank you.”

 

I walked out to the vineyard. Watching what Seth was doing…okay, the man arouses desire in me by just standing there, but he lifted the huge clay pot-thing up with effort, but not much. I told you, he wasn’t afraid of hard work. That clay pot thing looked very heavy. There were holes in the sides, not big, but enough to let air in. The clay was thick, almost an inch thick. He’d removed his shirt, the exertion was making him sweat and his muscles bulged as he lifted and placed the bowl, upside down forming a dome over a clay pedestal. The area underneath was bare. I could see what he was doing. Pretty smart this man I loved.

“The men will help you, Seth.” I reminded him as he set it in place. “I said I’d help.”

Seth smiled up at me. “Have you counted all of the crates going out?”

“I was getting to it.” I defended weakly grinning.

“Uh, huh,” Seth said with a light chuckle. “Not that I doubt you can do this. I’m sure you can, but counting crates, counting bottles, figuring loses, that’s your thing.” He kissed me lightly. “I like doing this.” Then he pointed at the heater. “What do ya think?”

I nodded. “I can see how it will work.” But then I looked over the vast area of vines. We had rows and rows of grapes. “How many do you think we need?”

Seth looked at the vineyard. “A lot.” Then he pointed. “But once one these babies heat up, the clay will radiate the heat, keeping the frost away.” He grinned at his own cleverness. He shook his head. “I can’t tell you how many grapes we would lose with…him….in charge.” He alluded to Thorne. “This will protect them! No longer do we count on the bush of the vine to protect the grapes from the frost! Increased production!”

The truth was, he was having fun! “I married a smart man.” I nodded as we kissed again, a little longer this time. By now, expressing affection with each other no longer surprised the workers there. And there were a few around, tying vines back to keep them separated and encouraging growth. No one was bothered. There were even a few smiles. “And a very handsome man, too.”

Seth smiled at the complements. “I can’t do anything about that, it just is.” He chuckled. “I was ugly so long, it’s nice to hear.”

And I willingly told him he was handsome to undo the damage to his soul. “Aw, Seth.” I put my arms around him. “I married you with the scars, remember?”

Seth nodded. “Yep, you didn’t care. I remember. I’ve thought about it.” He grinned. “I sort of believe the magic was from you.”

“Me?” I repeated.

“You married me, then as you kissed me….boom! I was cured!” He kissed me again. “You don’t know it’s not true.”

“I don’t.” I agreed. “But you were sexy then and sexy now.” Then I remembered why I was here. “Christian sent a message you can read later. I had a situation occur in the winery. We need to come up with new policies.”

His eyebrows rose. “Such as?”

“Sick time, for instance,” I said. “Many times I send employees home sick. They’re so scared of losing their jobs they come in really too sick to work. Pregnancy. I dealt with Christina who was terrified I was going to let her go because she’s pregnant.”

Seth nodded. “You’re right. Thorne was a terrible boss.”

I grunted. “We’ll be undoing the damage he did for a long time.” Then I pointed at the heater. “But when this works, production increases, we can start working on undoing the damage. Educate them.”

Seth smiled even bigger. “Thorne liked keeping the lower people stupid. He believed it gave him control.”

“They aren’t stupid,” I growled. “But an educated employee becomes a better employee and a better person. This town is growing and we need to change things.”

He nodded. “I agree.”

 

Later that evening, tired from what he’d done all day, he came in, ate, bathed…okay, I always help him with that, and he dropped easily to sleep. We would talk later.

I started groundwork to begin educating those employed. There were a few teachers in town and I paid them to open their schools for the adults that worked here for an hour each night. An hour a night seemed all we could do, and keep them working and give them a chance to learn.

 

My party was about to happen. We’d sent Seth’s and my special carriage to get Terry, Michael, and Alex, driven by two guards and four others riding alongside. The special carriage was to get them and would take them back. Though Samuel brought his horse for a faster trip back. This allowed them to sleep comfortably and relax on the way. And gave Alex and place to rest when needed. We had put in another place for someone to sleep so there were plenty of sleeping spots. But I was shocked when Alex got out. This illness he had was killing him. And with as much time that passed between seeing him, the change was more shocking. Seth and Samuel got their size from this man. He was so strong before. Dark hair had been still there with a little gray, now was more gray and thinning. But he still carried the presence of a king and still handsome. He got out, waving his son Samuel’s offer to assist him away. Seth and I greeted them as they climbed down. Samuel smiling broadly at his brother and instantly in a hug. Terry looked amazingly beautiful. She was a queen and looked every inch the queen she was carrying her and Samuel’s son. Seth hugged each and I did, too. I was hugged by Alex.

“It’s good to see you, Alex.” I smiled at the man.

Alex frowned. “You’re family. Would it be possible for you to call me Dad?”

I grinned and hugged him again. “Very possible, Dad.”

Alex and the others looked at our home. They knew of the change, but not how and had never seen it in person.

“So this is the new manor house of Royal Valley.” Samuel marveled.

Seth grinned, his arm around his brother’s shoulder as he looked at the house proudly. “What do you think? While it’s not a palace…”

“I want to see those toilets you told me about!” Samuel said while heading in without being asked or offered. He was king! Besides, we were his brothers, so no permission was needed.

The toilets and the hot water heaters were the source of fascination to all of them.

“Could this…” Samuel pointed to the toilet downstairs for all to use. “…be added?” He looked at Seth. “To the palace.”

Seth gave a nod. “It’ll take some work. You need to lay pipe and make sure you have access to the water supply.”

Samuel grinned. “I want this.” Then he looked at the large copper tank. “And this.”

Seth chuckled. “You’re king. If you want it, do it!”

Samuel nodded. “I’m gonna!”

Everyone was given a room. The guards were staying in the house as well.

“You’ll have to double up if that’s okay,” I said to the guards.

The guards were like the ones in A’Dore, doing their duty, but friends as well. One sandy-haired man grinned.

“I don’t mind.” He said nudging a buddy. “As long as you don’t snore.”

His buddy frowned. “And what about you?”

“I can’t wait to take a hot bath!” The first said happily.

Yes, we were fine.

 

Then the day of my birthday came. I woke to feel a sensation I knew well. Someone was engulfing my manhood in a warm mouth. I grinned as I rolled to give him easier access. “This is a nice way to wake me up,” I said running fingers in his hair.

“Good morning, husband,” Seth said, while not stopping. “Happy Birthday.”

He was very, very good at doing what he was doing.

“You had a morning arousal, why waste it?” Seth chuckled.

“Why indeed?” I crooned. I shot my manseed in his mouth which as usual he swallowed with no effort. Then he reached over for our lubrication.

“Now, I will make love to you,” Seth said bringing my legs up. We liked it any way we did it, but face to face was preferred. He didn’t waste time, kissing me as he put on the lubrication. Entering me, he kissed me gently. “I love you, Erik. I love showing you how much. You’re part of me.” He moved slowly. “Part of my very soul. From the moment we met, to the day we die.” Then he began moving more, and faster. “Maybe after that!” He said kissing me deeper and pushing deeper in me. “How could heaven be heaven if we’re not together? I will spend eternity with you.” Now he was moving faster and soon, I felt him shoot his manseed in me. We were one.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sick days, pregnancy leave, and after-work education. What about wage equity? Will they be offering medical coverage for their employees too? I'm sure it's difficult to pay the doctor on the wages they receive… ;-)

 

And is a Winery Co-op in the future?

Link to comment
On 11/14/2016 08:01 PM, droughtquake said:

Sick days, pregnancy leave, and after-work education. What about wage equity? Will they be offering medical coverage for their employees too? I'm sure it's difficult to pay the doctor on the wages they receive… ;-)

 

And is a Winery Co-op in the future?

You have a guy. Whether it's 300, 500 or even 800 years ago living a life no one then imagined. He's modern man, planning progressive ideas. He's educated! He can see the rewards with happy employees. He never said "leave," he said she wouldn't loose her job. Thorne would let her go. They'd be on the street! She's a good worker. The person hired to replace her might not be. He knows that. Educated, remember?

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..