Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,250 Words
  • 3,310 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 48. Chapter 48

Seth looked so good to me. Handsome in a rough, dirty, hardworking way! He was doing a physical inventory of me as well. I was running my hands over him. He felt so good to me. He kept kissing me as he would hug and continued to cry with happiness.

“I’m okay, Seth.” I said softly. “I’m really back.”

Seth nodded and said a prayer of thanksgiving I could see. “I’d love to take you right here.” He smiled. “But…we’d have an audience if we did that.” Then he looked down at himself and then sniffed me. “And we’re both kind of smelly and dirty, so we’ll wait until we go inside and bath first.” Then he remembered why I’d gone to Creid. “Did you find what we needed when there?”

I nodded as we walked back to the house our arms around each other and I led the horse. “I did. In fact, we’re going to have guests.” I knew this would be a little shaky. “I’ve got some men from Creid staying with us.”

Seth stopped and looked a little uncertain as I knew he would be. “Are they as bad as we imagine?”

I smiled, shaking my head. “No, in fact, the ones coming here are very nice.”

Seth heard that, but he’d been taught like everyone not to trust them. “Nice.” He said doubtful. “That’s not a word usually associated with Creid.”

I nodded patting Seth on the chest. “I know. It was surprising to me, too. You’ll find out when you meet them. There are seven in the group. But they do have what we need to get those things out of Christian’s blood so we can start to get people ready for Len Na’s attack.” I motioned to the house. “We’d better let Grace know and light the fires under the hot water tanks. They will be hot enough when they get here.” Then I smiled. “And I have a promise to keep with Christian.”

We quickly secured the horse and went inside the manor.

Grace was thrilled to see me and I wanted to see Toby and Dennis, but I also wanted to clean up.

“We have a few more minutes. I’ll light the fires under all the tanks.” I looked at Grace. “We’re having guests.”

She knew where I’d gone and I could see she was worried. “Are they brutes?”

I shook my head. “Not at all. The ones I’ve been with these few weeks are really quite nice. It will be fine.” Then I thought about what they’d eat. “Can we send someone to one of the restaurants? Maybe Royal Gardens? We’ll need to feed about nine when they get here in a few minutes. They have that good beef stew ready to consume at Royal Gardens. Perhaps we can get some?”

Grace nodded. “I’ll send one or two of the men in the winery to get some.” Then she stopped. “I guess we’ll need more daily supplies.”

I nodded. “Only for two additional guests. I’ll make arrangements at the hotel near us for the others, but they will need food when they are added to the guards for the house as with the others already here.” I looked out the window and saw the group coming still escorting the wagon. “It’s too late to clean up. They’re coming now. We need to greet them and get this started.”

The water heaters were lit and Grace sent two men to Royal Gardens to get what we needed. And of course, I got a few bottles of Royal Valley wine to serve. Seth would not let me do anything alone and followed me up to the attic. I touched the crystal to let sound through. I heard nothing and then hit the crystal to see. Nothing. It was the middle of the afternoon, I didn’t expect they’d be there. I went through and wrote a note, dated it and left it where Christian or Ella would find it and then came back through the doorway back to Seth.

Downstairs I went in the boys’ room and they were so happy to see I’d come back. Though when I picked up Toby and kissed his cheek, he wrinkled his nose and signed. You smell funny.

I chuckled nodding. “Nothing a bath won’t cure. In the meantime, we have guests coming. We’ll go down and greet them.”

 

The wagon arrived escorted by the others. People in Royal Valley were curious as to the black leather armored men that rode through town, but saw Quaid and Darrin with them, but still very curious. They were strangers and they had to be from Creid! Yannick dismounted when they arrived at the manor, coming over to Seth, the boys and me.

“Seth.” I said. “This is Yannick. Crown Prince of Creid. The eldest son of King Mordor.”

Yannick stuck his hand out to Seth. “It’s a privilege to meet the man married to such a fine warrior as Prince Erik.” He bowed slightly to Seth. “He began a new future of friendship between Blethos and Creid. I hope with A’Dore as well.”

Ryan climbed down from the carriage.

“And this is Ryan. The man with the knowledge of how to extract what’s in Christian’s blood.” I motioned to Ryan and then held Dennis up as Seth picked up Toby. “These are Seth’s and my sons. Dennis and Toby.”

Yannick smiled at our boys. He was not going to scare them. He held out his hand and even shook Toby’s hand and even Dennis’ little hand. Toby began signing to Yannick.

“And you need to know. Toby’s deaf. He uses signs to communicate.” I explained with a chuckle. “He wants to know about your black suit.”

This news surprised both Yannick and Ryan, but Yannick smiled at Toby. “But he understands you? How do I talk to him?”

I nodded. “He reads lips.”

Yannick motioned to his suit. “Well, this protects me if I run into…” he thought of a nicer word, “….someone that’s not so nice.” He said smiling as Yannick spoke so Toby could see his lips and then he motioned to the other men that were with him and introduced each one.

Once that was done, I motioned to the house. “This is Seth’s and my home. We’ve got hot water for everybody. You can take a bedroom and get cleaned up. We’re having a pretty good meal that will be ready when you’re done. We’ll talk about what we’re doing housing and otherwise when this is done."

 

Once we got the men started, and I knew that they took communal baths in Creid and the tubs were big enough for at least two men at a time. Seth and I took our own bath.

I looked at Seth and I knew he had to know what happened between Yannick and me. I had to tell him. “I have a confession to make.”

Seth looked at me curious. “Oh?”

“I issued the Challenge of Confidence. Yannick was their champion.” I explained.

“What do you mean?”

“In order to win their trust, I issued the Challenge and fought Yannick.” I answered looking as Seth’s face clouded. “It wasn’t to the death.” I said in a hurry. “I just had to disarm him, which believe me I worked for that! He was damned good!” I chuckled remembering the fight. “He’s never been defeated in a decade!”

Seth grinned. “But you did.”

I nodded hating I had to say it, but…. “Their way is win at any cost….and I…sort of….kissed him.”

“You what!?” Seth shouted his eyes bulging. “You kissed him!!”

“There were no feelings involved! It wasn’t anything but a distraction!” I begged him to understand. “It wasn’t like when I kiss you! I needed to cause him to not think and I disarmed him! It was tactical, not love. It worked and I won!”

Seth was still in shock and said nothing a few minutes, but he never stopped looking at me. It hurt him, I could see it.

When at last I couldn’t stand he wouldn’t say anything, I begged. “Please say you understand. I had to. He wasn’t expecting it and if I hadn’t he would have won. I was tired!” I was beginning to cry a little. “Never, and I mean, I never even considered cheating on you, Seth! I love you! Yannick knows that. He’s seen you and our boys! I like Yannick, but I love you!”

That’s when Seth moved from his side of the tub to me, putting his arms around me. “It was just a shock, baby. I believe you. I understand.”

“But I feel like I did cheat on you!” I said sadly. “I’ve never kissed anyone but you….in my entire life! I feel like I betrayed you.”

“But you didn’t.” Seth said kissing the side of my head and hugging me.

“It wasn’t a kiss except the touching of lips, I’ve kissed Christian on the cheek and head. I’ve kissed our boys, but having to tell you I kissed Yannick…that’s what hurts!”

“But you didn’t have to tell me.” Seth reasoned.

I nodded. “Oh, yes I did. Nothing is ever kept secret from each other and I couldn’t let this go. You are the most important person in my life! But I swear my heart belongs to you! Only to you.” Now I was crying more. “I knew you might have a problem with it, I would if it was you kissing someone else! But I never, never wanted to do it, I would never cheat on you!”

Seth chuckled hugging me tightly. “I believe you, Erik. I trust you. It’s okay. Let it go.” It was a few minutes later when Seth looked me in the eyes. “I love you. I know you love me and I have no doubt about that. We’re fine.” Then he chuckled. “But you won! Good thinking! But it was a surprise, for me as well! And I wasn’t even there!!”

I chuckled wiping my face. “I did it right in front of the king and all the others! Yannick and King Mordor weren’t upset at all, but laughed. They all did!”

“Well, it’s not really a tried battle tactic, but apparently very effective!” Seth chuckled.

I kissed him and I mean I really kissed him in our consuming passionate kiss that was probing and long. “But this is all love, Seth. I’d die before I ever even consider anyone else.”

Seth nodded. “Welcome home.”

 

We bathed, made love and bathed again. When we were done we came down to see many of the men had bathed and were at our big table in the kitchen and in the dining room. It was odd to see them without their armor and just in regular clothes.

Yannick looked up with a smile. “That was a long bath!” He grinned to me.

“We were very dirty.” I shrugged making Yannick laugh.

“I’ll just bet. I’m sure you’re glad you’re clean now.” Yannick chuckled and held up his goblet. “My father should try some of this wine. It’s very, very good!”

“He’ll get a couple of cases soon.” I promised.

Seth nodded smiling. “It helps to know each grape and I do!”

 

Arrangements were made with Quaid to have the guards from Blethos and Creid patrol the grounds and house. The hotel near us was thrilled to have more guests, but not so thrilled when they heard they were from Creid. I assured the owner these men would be nothing but gentlemen.

“They could scare away other guests!” The owner wailed.

“Only if you tell them where these men are from.” I corrected. “They’re just men. We need them. There is nothing about them that says they are from Creid and it wouldn’t matter if there was. They are nice people. It’s time the rest of Blethos finds that out. We’ll start here in Royal Valley. They are just people!”

 

Ryan set up a work room in our house, with Darrin’s willing help. Seers were put out, the glass containers were gotten and we didn’t lose a single one when we traveled. The spinner was set up.

As that was going on, Seth and I went to the attic again. This time when I activated the doorway, Christian was standing there waiting. He didn’t even wait for us to come through! He launched himself into our home in Royal Valley hugging me tightly.

“Thank God!” Christian said as he hugged. “Thank the merciful God in Heaven!”

Ella came through as well hugging Seth while my brother assured himself I was alive and unharmed.

“I’m good, Christian.” I said laughing. “I’m okay. I promise.” I rubbed his back as I said that.

Christian looked at me critically. “I was worried sick!”

I nodded. “I know, but I will have to say, a lot of what we are afraid of us just that. Fear. And it’s unfounded!”

“Unfounded!?” Christian asked in disbelief. “They’re savage!”

I shook my head. “No, they’re not. Not really. They are a warrior people certainly. Most of what we feared is in the past! I was explained to by King Mordor why they kept that reputation going.”

“But they came to A’Dore! Mother said King Mordor was…”

“He was acting, giving what was expected.” I finished. “He’s actually a very nice man.” I went on to explain how they kept others away to keep from being raided by keeping the pretense going. “I have the Crowned Prince here as one of our guests. They are a very determined and honorable people.”

Christian was trying to accept what I’d said. I was to be trusted by Christian and he knew that, but….likeable Creid!?

“I found this Ryan person. He knows a lot about blood…like how to get those…things out of you and we can make more and spread them around to the people.”

Christian’s eyebrows came together as he wasn’t too reassured. “He does? He explained it to you?”

I nodded. “He explained and even showed me how he was going to do it.”

Now Christian was a little better, but not much. “Will it hurt?”

I shrugged. “Maybe a little, but I’ve seen the needle…”

“Needle!?” Christian’s reaction was if I said he was to be stabbed! Well, I guess he would be, but just a little one. I would have one, too.

I chuckled. “Well, yes…they have to get into you to get them out somehow and this is the way.” Now he was looking more like Edward in his reaction to the word needle. “And that leads me to another thing. Ryan would do well working with Dr. Warren…”

“But you’re worried about telling others?” Demetrius’ voice came again and he walked out of the shadows of the attic. No one flinched at his sudden appearances any more. “I cautioned you not to tell anyone other than family.”

“But how can we work together if we don’t at least tell Ryan how we’ll be getting Christian’s blood?” I asked. “And Dr. Warren knows so much now about these little creatures…Ryan knows what works, but not how or why…with Dr. Warren, our knowledge will greatly enhance.”

Demetrius smiled and held his hands out to stop me. “I cautioned you with reason. If you let everyone know, it could be used for less than benevolent reasons. The doorway was given to you two.” He said to Christian and me. “How you use it now is up to you. You wanted to save Christian’s life and you did! But I would caution you to keep others at a distance on this.”

“But, honey…” Ella said worried. “…with strangers coming and going, should we have our doorway in our bedroom?”

Christian frowned. “She’s right, but…how do we explain Erik’s appearance and disappearance? We already have staff here that saw Erik that time when he brought Sam and wondering how he managed it.”

“But Erik or Seth coming through isn’t the problem.” Ella said. “They are family.”

I shrugged. “We have ours in this attic. Very few come up here and if they do, it’s just a mirror.” I shook my head. “I don’t suppose there’s a more secure room you can place the mirror where I can come and go?”

Christian shook his head. “I can’t think of one.” Then he motioned for us to stop. “We’ll deal with this as needed. I’d like to meet this Ryan.” Then he said cautiously. “And the others from Creid.”

I grinned. “Well, the real one to meet would be Yannick. He’s the Crowned Prince, son of King Mordor and very nice man.” I looked at Ella. “And he would knock before entering. Trust me.” Then I chuckled. “And Ryan…let’s just say he has developed an affection for a person here. Darrin. So I doubt he’d be interested in Ella. Christian maybe, but not Ella.” I watched Christian’s eyes widen when he heard that.

Seth looked surprised. “Darrin, but is Darrin interested in Ryan?”

“Very.” I nodded. “We’re not just in Royal Valley.”

Then Christian shook his head. “But they’re barbarians! Savages!” He was having a hard time with this concept. “I trust you, but….”

“So were we once!” I argued. “Both in A’Dore and Blethos. That’s why we still had all those Challenges still on the books! When Seth was king, he outlawed those horrible savage laws. I know there were laws just like them in A’Dore as well. The Creids are not barbarians or savages, but they are very good fighters. We can use the help!”

“Which Erik defeated their champion!” Seth said proudly.

Christian smiled at hearing that. “He did?”

“Defeated their champion that hasn’t been defeated in ten years!” Seth said smiling. “With a kiss.”

“Seth!” I cried holding my face to hide the embarrassment.

“A kiss?” Christian smiled. Even Ella was laughing at that.

“It was a battle strategy! I had to.” I defended.

Demetrius nodded grinning. “I saw.”

“You saw!?” I moaned and then thought. “What am I thinking? Of course you did.” I threw my hands up in futility.

“I should tell Jason, the man that taught Erik and me to fight with a sword, to add this to his teaching.” Christian chuckled as I hit him in the shoulder, a little harder than just kidding, making Christian laugh even harder.

“Tell anyone I did and I’ll break the mirror the next time you’re here and you’ll won’t be back in A’Dore in two or three WEEKS!” I yelled knowing my face was now beet red. “It worked! I won!”

Demetrius shook his head. “Don’t worry. It’s hard to break, but he can do it, with effort.” He told Christian.

I turned to leave. “That’s it, I’m going back to our guests…” but Seth grabbed me from behind and hugged me kissing me on the neck.

“We’re just kidding you, Erik.” Seth said in my ear. “But you’ve got to admit, it is funny.” He said laughing again and now Christian, Ella and Demetrius were laughing, too.

I took a deep breath. “Okay. It’s funny.” Then I looked at Christian. “So, I’ll bring Yannick and Ryan up here tomorrow? We can have lunch there. In your room, of course.”

Christian nodded. “I look forward to it, but I still can’t shake the idea they’re savages.”

I nodded. “That’s why we need to do it. You’ll see they aren’t.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

“It’s hard to break, so he can do it, with effort.” I think it should be ‘but he can do it.’

 

And now the pieces are coming together.

 

Royal Valley is becoming a very progressive place! Someone should found a College there since it’s where so much learning is already happening. Teaching that knowledge should be formalized. RVC would instantly become the premiere educational center of all Blethos, A’Dore, and Creid.

Link to comment
On 03/12/2017 04:57 PM, droughtquake said:

“It’s hard to break, so he can do it, with effort.” I think it should be ‘but he can do it.’

 

And now the pieces are coming together.

 

Royal Valley is becoming a very progressive place! Someone should found a College there since it’s where so much learning is already happening. Teaching that knowledge should be formalized. RVC would instantly become the premiere educational center of all Blethos, A’Dore, and Creid.

You're jumping ahead. Right now things between Blethos and Creid need to settle down. And A'Dore and Creid. A college would be great...one day in the future. But there will come a new understanding with Creid. But it takes time.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I can understand why Demetrius is so adamant about who knows of the mirrors existence, it's for the safety of the families. The more people find out about the existence of the mirror things could easily go from bad to worse. If Yannick likes the wine from Royal Valley King Mordor will love it just as much if not more. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

'Open mouth -- insert foot! I was all ready to object to the use of the word bath as a verb, but, just out of curiosity I looked it up on Grammarly and found out that bath can be used as a verb in English English. I wanted to use bathe, but found out that is an American English usage as a verb form. So no correction!

Now, a question: is there any way to avoid the awkwardness of the terms English English and American English when discussing the difference between the two languages? Would 'British' and 'American' work? But then Canada, which also uses English English, is in North America, so that country would be included in both America and North America! As the King of Siam says, 'It is a puzzlement.'

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

Now, a question: is there any way to avoid the awkwardness of the terms English English and American English when discussing the difference between the two languages? Would 'British' and 'American' work? But then Canada, which also uses English English, is in North America, so that country would be included in both America and North America! As the King of Siam says, 'It is a puzzlement.'

British English is the accepted term. And Canadian English is a hybrid combining some aspects of British English (especially spelling) with borrowed US terms. Due to US military personnel stationed in Australia during WWII, Aussie English has adopted some US English as well.
;–)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

 Due to US military personnel stationed in Australia during WWII, Aussie English has adopted some US English as well.
;–)

Yawn.  :yawn:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..