Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,760 Words
  • 3,458 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 18. Chapter 18

Seth and I were lucky, we had a room at the palace. We offered Curt, Daryl, Zek, Gabe, and others a room for the night. Most wanted to head home to tell their future mates the good news. But Zek and Gabe wanted to get back to tell their parents that all was good and they were still alive. Only Curt and Daryl took us up on it and decided to stay the night.

Seth entered our room and went to light the tank and heat the water. “Erik! Look at this!”

I walked into the bathroom. The old tub was gone. Now there was a new tub that was bigger. I chuckled. “I guess your brother realized we usually take baths together. He just made it easier.”

Seth chuckled gathering me in his arms. “And we do like our time in baths.” Then he smirked. “I bet they don’t have those great soaps as we do.”

I chuckled. “We’ve made it just fine before.” I kissed him. “We’ll be fine.”

As much as we liked our bath time together, we were both excited to meet Kristine. In record time we were clean and dressed in clean clothes when we went to Samuel’s and Terry’s room. Terry smiled grandly as we entered their room as she held her new daughter as they were both in the huge bed.

“Seth! Erik!” Terry greeted. “Sam told me what happened, I am so thrilled he finally ruled on this.” She hugged us both. “How wonderful you came! Not because of that, but to see your new niece.” She pulled the blanket back to show a little round head of brown hair and a squirming infant.

Being the smartass he was, Seth shook his head. “It’s a shame Sam told us a lie about her.” He said sounding serious.

Both Terry and I weren’t sure what he meant.

“He said she was beautiful,” Seth said sadly, then brightened immediately. “She’s gorgeous!!” He ran a hand over the tiny head of hair. “Just gorgeous!”

Terry laughed as I swatted Seth. But Terry nodded. “She is. Michael is a little jealous.”

I shook my head. “He’s three!” I said thinking that explained it all.

Terry nodded. “Yes, a three-year-old that doesn’t like the idea of sharing his Mommy and Daddy with a little sister.”

I frowned. “Well, Christian was nearly ten when I was born, I don’t think he was jealous.”

Seth chuckled. “I don’t remember being jealous. I don’t remember any before I was five, so…”

“Let Seth talk to him.” I patted Seth on the back. “He has a knack with children.”

Seth groaned. “Here we go again.”

“Aw, come on, Seth.” I smiled. “You know you have it.” I grinned at Terry. “My nephews nieces in A’Dore love Seth, Edward wouldn’t let him go. And your Dad was loved by Michael. It’s a family thing.”

Terry smiled, then her eye narrowed. “But…what else?” She looked at us. “There’s something else.”

Seth nodded. “We’re looking at….getting a child.”

Terry looked surprised. “Getting a child? How?”

“There are hundreds of children without parents,” I said simply. “They need one, we’re thinking of being that for someone.”

Terry smiled. “That’s wonderful! You two would be great fathers.”

I gave Seth a slight shove. “See? No one really cares who they come from or where.”

Terry shook her head. “Of course not. A child is innocent, but the need for love is the most important thing in their lives. You two have plenty of that for a child.”

Seth nodded. “You’re right, you’re right.” He grinned. “Okay, I’ll talk to Michael, but a three-year-old!? How do you reason with a three-year-old?”

I kissed him lightly. “Softly.”

Seth frowned, then smirked. “That didn’t help much.” He muttered then took a deep breath. “Okay, here I go.” He rose and went through the door to the children’s nursery.

I chuckled and looked at Terry. “He’ll be fine.”

“Michael or Seth?” Terry frowned.

 

Sam was a busy king, but he came a few moments more to check on his family. Then Seth brought Michael in the bedroom where his parents, sister and I was. If Michael was not happy with the baby, he wasn’t showing it. In fact, he looked kind of proud. As proud as anyone three years old could be. Seth picked Michael up and put him on the bed with his mother and sister.

“See?” Seth pointed. “Your job is so important. She’s little, so you have to take care of her.”

Michael nodded and crawled over to his mother, he reached over and pulled the blanket to see Kristine. “I’ll take good care of you.” He said kissing her on the head.

Terry and Sam were staring wide-eyed as their son lay beside his mother, giving his finger to his sister who grasped a couple of fingers from her brother.

“What did you tell him?” I asked smiling.

Seth grinned and shrugged. “I just told him, as a big brother, he had a job to do, as I did with Sam here, because I was Sam’s big brother. So I knew how important the job was. I said that it took a big boy to handle that responsibility. He said he was a big boy and would do it.”

Sam grinned. “And you did a great job as a big brother.”

Seth shrugged. I smiled as I put my arm around him. “Still don’t think you have a knack with children?”

 

We stayed a couple of days but returned to Royal Valley. We returned with many greeting us readily. I watched as the wagon in front of the house that the priest had was being loaded up with his belongings. Under the watchful eye of a guard to make sure he was leaving. I assumed the same was happening with Margret. The people that greeted us were very happy to see us, including Norton and his wife.

“I was so scared when Gabriel told us he was in love with Ezekiel,” Norton confessed to Seth and me. “I was so sure it would get him killed. Then when that horrible woman made charges…I was certain he was going to die.”

Seth nodded patting Norton on the arm. “I told you before we left, that wasn’t going to happen.”

Then Norton grabbed Seth in a hug. “Thank you. For saving our boy.”

Eb, Zek’s father walked over. “Norton’s such a worry wart.” He chuckled as he grabbed me in a bear hug. “When Zek said he’d made friends with you two, I thought he was joking, then we got that invitation…well. I’m glad they had friends in you two.”

 

As the priest and Margret were escorted out of town, and out of Blethos as a whole, no one saw them off. Most were happy to see them leave.

“I hate they got banished.” I frowned. “This was their home.”

Seth nodded. “It was Margret’s, but she wanted things her way. That wasn’t going to happen. And I don’t believe Father Markham will be missed.”

I just looked at Seth. “Why?”

“For one, I don’t think the Church really likes him too much.” Seth grinned. “You see, Arthur paid Father Markham to say things from the pulpit. Things to keep the town under Thorne’s control. None of that money ever made it to the diocese.”

“Thorne was even more evil than I thought.” I griped.

 

And Samuel was right, we were busy. Since Sam had given us the authority to marry people, Seth and I were performing weddings almost every day for a while. Most of the couples had been together for years, so a wedding was just the means to do it legally. A few couples did it together, the most were four couples doing it at the same time. Even Gabe and Zek were married, but they had a real wedding. With vows and exchanges of rings. It was pretty. Most all of Royal Valley showed up for that wedding, and it was done at the manor. Where else was there room? Both parents paid for it, insisting that they pay us, but Seth and I told them to give the money to their boys, they were still just starting out.

As word that law passed. As in, no one in a relationship with someone of the same gender was to be punished and can even marry now, the massive influx of new citizens for Royal Valley stopped. It didn’t stop altogether, but it slowed down. Now people were coming as word of a great town got out. Education available and jobs were equally possible. We now had…not one, but two inns! Our town’s population doubled. People could come here on business and have a choice. If there were rooms available. There were a few times that availability was just not there.

I found many that chose that option or just didn't like the Church and its rules. Like those that divorced which was a nono. Or were from other religious practices and didn't want to convert but to marry someone. I was surprised at the number of people in Royal Valley at chose that option. These people never were part of the Church. There were other churches all over Blethos. King Alexander believed in God sort of but hated the Church and the control of the people.

 

The vineyard suffered a weird cold snap in weather, we were certain there would be frost. But Seth’s heaters worked!! Seth and I, along with some others ran up and down the rows, lighting the precious fires in the heaters to create heat, then watched to make sure they had enough fuel, either wood or coal. There was frost everywhere else, but not in the vineyard!! We lost nothing.

The town had their celebrations and parties, one man made up a holiday for the sole purpose of expressing love to that one special person in your life. He and a few other shops provided candies and other gifts to give. And the florist. If you didn’t, you were encouraged to express affection for that someone you had your eye on and make it happen! Or you could be a secret admirer and hope they figure it out. Everyone loved that day. I was surprised to see some of the people that wanted matches from someone I never would have expected! Seth and I were having a great time. There were local musicians playing some lively songs we could dance to. I was pretty much tired after ten dances and sat at a table and Seth went to find us some punch they’d thought of using our wine. That’s when Bent came and sat down, looking…well, confused.

“Can I ask you a question?” He asked.

What can I say? Old habits of a smartass. “Ya just did.” I grinned as his eyes rolled. “Sure, what’s up?”

He showed me a pretty little container of candies he’d been given. Like I said before, Bent was a nice guy. Really. While in my eyes his looks had none of the appeal that Seth had for me…although I don’t know why. He was not bad looking. Brown hair and he was in his late thirties, and a widower having lost his wife seven years ago. No children. “I got these.”

I grinned. “Great! That means someone here loves you.”

Bent nodded. “Yeah.” Then he looked across the dancers. “Him.” He pointed to a man we didn’t really see in town that often. He was a farmer, also a widower with three children. Because of his work in the field and life he leads, was fit, trim and I didn’t see a problem. He was nice looking, also in his thirties.

I nodded. “I take it…you don’t…like him?”

Bent shrugged. “I like Garth fine. He’s nice. We’re always friendly when he comes into town. He’s a friend. But he’s got kids! He was married!”

I chuckled. “So were you, so?”

That’s when Seth came back with our drinks. “Hi, Bent!”

Bent waved. “Hi, Seth.”

I looked at Bent. “Can I tell Seth?”

Bent nodded. “I could use all the advice I can get.”

So, I told Seth, who just listened and nodded. “One question. Can you see yourself with him? I mean in a potential romance.”

Bent looked at Garth, that wasn’t looking like he was paying attention, but paying attention to not looking like he was looking at us. “I never thought about it.”

I smiled. “Well, now you can.” I sat forward, putting my hand on his. “A person is capable of love, not because you’re supposed to or not supposed to. Is there anything wrong with what he proposes? He took a risk! He saw something in or about you that he was attracted to and wants to get closer. He was willing to tell you he thought of you as potentially more than just a friend.”

Bent looked more confused. “But I don’t know if I’m FSE.”

“F.S.E?” Seth shook his head, not understanding. “What’s that?” Neither did I.

Bent grinned. “Well, that’s short for what we call you. I mean people like you.” Then he cringed. “It means Friends of Seth and Erik. You know, in a marriage, or wants to be with someone their own gender like you are.”

My eyebrows rose and looked at Seth who’s eyebrows were also raised.

“Really?” I asked. I pointed at Seth. “And we are…”

Bent chuckled. “Well, you are Seth and Erik. Simple.”

Seth shook his head as his mind was cluttered with other thoughts now. “Fine. Could you kiss the man?”

Bent thought a second, then nodded. “Sure.”

“And mean it,” I stressed.

Bent thought a minute. “If I have the feelings.”

“Then go see him and find out if you can get those feelings for him.” Seth waved him toward Garth. “That’s what this day is about!”

Bent nodded. “Thank, guys.” Then he stopped and looked back. “He has kids!”

“One hurdle at a time!” I rolled my eyes. “Just tell him! Tell him everything. If you have doubts, tell him. If you’re not sure, tell him, but if it’s possible going over there will tell him.”

Bent shook his head. “I don’t want to hurt him.”

“If you ignore this, you will,” Seth said softly.

Bent thought a second. “Yeah. Tell him.” Then he walked toward Garth, who smiled as Bent came over.

“Friends of Seth and Eric, huh?” Seth grinned. “We’ve become a symbol.” Then he shook his head. “We’re seeing a lot of people that are….” He chuckled. “FSE. I wonder why?”

I shrugged. “Unlike other towns, the people here have seen us together for two years. Seen us kiss, the concept is not that foreign. Then all the others like us here. Perhaps they see possible attractions like ours are not that different. Not really. They’ve just had longer to adjust their thinking.” I grinned at Seth. “They had to have something. So FSE it is.” I chuckled. “I wonder if it will catch on elsewhere?”

Seth chuckled. “I wonder what Sam’s reaction will be if one of the guards gives a gift like that to another guard.”

I chuckled sipping my drink. “We were told there were some.” I held the cup away. “This is good! Very grape!”

“Of course it is.” Seth nodded leaning over kissing me. “They’re our grapes!”

“Isn’t this going marvelously!?” We heard a man gush behind us as he rushed over. “This is what we needed!”

I grinned at Stewart. This celebration was his brainchild. “Love is always needed,” I said. He was FSE, there would have been no doubt if it weren’t the fact he had a friend already that came with him.

Seth nodded. “And we’ll be seeing more FSE relationships.” He pointed as Garth was taking Bent’s hand and leading him to the dancing going on. “Now that the stupid law has been revoked.”

Stewart was gushing more. “It’s wonderful!!” Then he looked at us. “They want to do it again!!”

I laughed. “Hold up, Stewart. Things like flowers and candies and gifts are great but expensive. When do they want to do it again?”

Stewart shrugged. “I was thinking next month.”

Seth shook his head. “Too soon.”

“Why not next year?” I suggested.

Stewart put a hand on my shoulder. “Wonderful! An annual event. But what do I call it? Romance Day? Love Day? Cupid’s Day?”

I chuckled. “You have a year to think about it.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

FSE, not LSE (Like Seth & Eric)?

 

Will couples from out of town need to visit Seth & Eric (or Sam) if they want to get married outside the church?

 

And will you be surprising us again in a few hours?

Link to comment

I had to go and make the gayborhood comment the other day....that brought up Friends of Dorothy......well i was going to suggest using Friends of Eric and Seth lol.....great minds think alike...or we're both a little bit crazy hehehe

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/27/2016 05:08 PM, droughtquake said:

FSE, not LSE (Like Seth & Eric)?

 

Will couples from out of town need to visit Seth & Eric (or Sam) if they want to get married outside the church?

 

And will you be surprising us again in a few hours?

Nope, FSE is it. And now, some magic coming. Well, sort of.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/27/2016 06:34 PM, JayT said:

I had to go and make the gayborhood comment the other day....that brought up Friends of Dorothy......well i was going to suggest using Friends of Eric and Seth lol.....great minds think alike...or we're both a little bit crazy hehehe

They don't know Dorothy, remember. That's a made up story that they don't know. And yes, I am not a little crazy, I very crazy. Here the next chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..