Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,003 Words
  • 3,892 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 21. Chapter 21

My words were true. Rest was not a lot Seth and I were not going to get much of now. Seth and I lay beside Toby, who of course had his own schedule. It was only a few hours after we’d drifted off when I felt Toby stir. Opening my eyes I saw him look to see where he was and looked a little frightened until he looked to see me, then on his other side was Seth and the fearful look went away. I smiled at him rubbing his head. Of course, he needed changing. Welcome to fatherhood, I thought. I put my robe on, which Seth and I had but never really used until today and pajamas. I held my hands out to Toby who lifted his arms and let me pick him up. Taking him into the room that would be the nursery for he and Dennis, I saw that Doris was asleep in a chair, holding Sandy, her daughter in her lap who was sleeping against her mother. Both were asleep. I peeked in on Dennis, he was still sleeping, but dry! I saw the bowl of warm water and the bin near the bed Doris had rigged for Dennis with a diaper in it. Fortunately, the water was still warm, meaning Dennis or Sandy had been changed recently. Taking one of the diapers, I proceeded to change Toby. I had done it with all my nephews and nieces before, so I knew what I was doing. Ella was a hands-on mother and insisted some things had to be done by her. I had been allowed to help as part of the family. I picked him up and signed for juice, which he nodded with a big smile. Until he knew the house he should be taken where to go.

In the kitchen, Grace looked up surprised when I walked in with Toby. I looked around. “Do we have any juice ready?”

Grace nodded. “Of course.” She went to the icebox and pulled a pitcher out. “I guess we’ll have to make sure there is some on hand.” She gave me a small cup of the purple juice. “What you and Seth are doing is wonderful."

“We wanted children. They had a bad thing happen and a need, so we were there.” I shrugged. “It just seemed natural."

“Many people wouldn’t see it that way.” Grace moved more around the kitchen. “Do you want coffee?”

I chuckled. “I know we both will need it. When Seth wakes up for certain.” Giving the cup to Toby, he tasted it and then drank it down. “I guess he likes grape juice.”

Grace smiled and walked over, smiling at Toby. “My name’s Grace.” She said, and I was so happy I didn’t have to tell her that Toby wasn’t stupid or slow. But she spoke so he could see her. “Do you want to eat?”

I had gone over some of the signs on the paper Dara had left. “This is the sign for eat.” I showed her like I was putting some food in my mouth.

Grace nodded and pointed at Toby and did the sign. Toby nodded again.

“Of course, he’ll need to learn to read lips, too. Not everyone will be expected to learn signs to talk to him. But in case, we’ll know.” I smiled at Toby. “Just be patient,” I told him kissing his forehead. Then went to the table. “We’ll need highchairs.”

“You’ll find you need a lot of things.” Grace laughed as she went to begin breakfast.

I looked outside. “The sun’s not much higher, what time is it?”

“Almost lunch time.” Grace chuckled. “I wasn’t kidding when I said you just went to bed.”

Breakfast or lunch started, it was only an hour later when Seth shuffled in. And I mean, shuffled. Feet dragging wearily. The shadow of a beard, which I’m sure I had. Hair in every direction by what it was supposed to go. To me, he still looked sexy! I chuckled. “This is one day as a father? You won’t make it.”

“Coffee. I need coffee.” Seth muttered. “I smell coffee.” He looked in the direction of the stove as Grace smiled pouring him a cup.

“There.” Grace handed him the cup. “Better?”

Seth grunted. “We’ll see.” He sipped the cup and wandered to the table plopping down in a chair. “Good morning.”

“Good afternoon.” I smiled. “Toby and I have had our lunch.”

Seth grinned at me, then leaned over kissing me gently. “Hi, Dad.” Then smiled at Toby. “Good morning, Sweet Pea.” He greeted kissing Toby on the forehead. Then Toby offered Seth some of his third cup of juice. “Thank you.” Seth grinned and sipped the juice. “Mmm, very good juice.” And gave it back. Then looked at me. “We need to plan a funeral.”

I nodded. “I think Sarah needs to rest here.” I bounced Toby. “Have her on the grounds so the boys will have her nearby. As a reminder.”

Seth nodded. “We can do that. Even make a garden around her.”

There was a knock on the front door. Seth got up, waving Grace to keep doing what she was doing.

“Is Doris here?” I heard a man’s voice ask sounding not certain. “She said she would be.”

“She’s with the baby,” Seth replied. “Come in.” The two men came in the kitchen area, along with a little girl with long brown hair about five. “You know Frank?” He asked me.

I nodded. “I’ve seen him around town. Doris was a godsend to come as she did.”

Frank nodded. “All Dana said was her Mom had to feed a baby that lost his mother.” He looked at Toby. “He must be two.” He was wondering about the age and why she was feeding him.

I nodded. “His brother’s upstairs with Doris. This is Toby. Dennis is the baby.”

Frank was a burly man with a beard in his mid-thirties. “Relatives?”

“As of today, our sons,” Seth explained.

Frank looked surprised but nodded. “Okay. So, you need Doris more than today?”

“We’re hiring her as nanny and wet-nurse,” I explained.

Doris wandered in the kitchen holding Dennis in one arm, Sandy in the other. “What are you doing here, Frank?”

Frank looked at what she was carrying, which Seth took Dennis from her. “I was just wanting to know what was happening. I couldn’t go to work today. You weren’t there.”

Doris shook her head. “I’m fine. I was needed.”

“And still are,” Seth said holding the now awake Dennis who let everyone know, something wasn’t right and he didn’t like it. “Now, now.” Seth jostled Dennis gently. “I can’t feed you.” He reached down and felt. “You’re dry. So what’s the deal? Were you just lonely?”

Frank watched quietly Seth interact with Dennis. “Well, I am your husband, I was worried.” He said to Doris.

“I’ll be home about five,” Doris said, but then looked at Seth and me. “Unless you need me longer.”

Seth grinned. “We’ll need you a lot. But we’re going to hire someone else, too.”

I chuckled. “Not that you are one, but we have a cow now to supplement. We don’t expect you to hang around. You have a life.”

Doris smiled at her husband. “You wanted to make more money, well, here I am.” She patted her husband’s arm.

Frank looked around. “But we need you, too.” He said to Doris.

“And I’ll be there,” Doris assured. “Just not in the day and the occasional night if needed. Dana can cook, you won’t go hungry.” She patted his burly middle.

Frank looked at Seth and me. “You’re serious.” He said. “You’re their fathers?”

Seth frowned. “You don’t think we should be?”

Frank shrugged. “It never occurred to me. I know there are some FSE that have kids, but they were married before. I’m just surprised, that’s all.”

Doris smiled as her five-year-old hugged her mother’s leg. “Lizzie here is now in school, too. When she gets out Dana can keep an eye on her. My mother or your mother aren’t far away, they can look in if need be. It’ll work out.”

Frank nodded. “Okay.” He said with some resolution. “Well, I’ll see you when you get home.” He smiled at Seth and me. “Congratulations. I’ll…just go now.” He pointed toward the door, took his daughter Lizzie’s hand and left.

Doris smiled at us. “It’ll work out.” She assured.

 

Word about the newest little citizens of Royal Valley spread. No fairy communication needed here. Word of mouth worked just fine. The next day we had the funeral for Sarah and we did have her put to rest on the property. Both Dennis and Toby attended, though Dennis, of course, didn’t know he was. And I don’t think Toby understood either. The feeding during the in the middle of the night which Seth I alternated. But suddenly, we got visitors. Zek and Gabe came by to see the babies, then Curt and Daryl. There were others with gifts! Even a highchair! A new priest was now in town and offered to baptize the boys if we wanted. I don’t remember my own, but why not? This new priest was a young man in his late twenties and seemed personable and didn’t care that we were a couple the same gender. I suppose he was told to be, or maybe he just was. I made sure to pay as much attention to Dennis as Toby. Dennis’ primary thing at the moment was to grow. I sat with him often in the rocking chair, talking or just holding him. He was a good baby. A look from his big eyes, he was weaving a spell on me. And I let myself fall for him. We hired Hannah also. Again, she had a baby to bring with her, but she was quickly in love with Dennis, too. That relieved Doris some.

I sent word by Demetrius back to A’Dore about the family’s newest extension. Only this time, Ella wrote back. Christian did, too, but Ella was saying she wanted to see them and was planning a trip to us. Which wasn’t really fair. Christian couldn’t just take off. He could, but he was king!

It wasn’t fair that we did have it a little easier than most. I’m sorry, I was born a prince, so was Seth, even if that horrid Arthur Thorne got a hold of him. And business was great, so we did have some advantages most new parents didn’t have. Help. We ended up hiring two women just do laundry. Believe me, there was a lot! How they did it without hot water from the pipes, I can’t imagine. It took a staff to raise kids! My heart was now going out to those who couldn’t hire a staff. The adjustment was underway. And according to Blethos’ law and A’Dore’s law, a public declaration they were our sons had to be done. So Seth and I had a party in the square and most everyone in Royal Valley came.

Seth was holding Toby, as I held Dennis as we faced the many faces. “By the law of Blethos…” Seth said loudly but making sure Toby could see him talk. “…a public declaration is needed. But we thought a declaration of a more formal type was needed. I, Prince Phillip, known to all here as Seth….”

“And I, Prince Erik…” I added. “Do now declare that Toby and Dennis…”

“Are our sons.” Seth finished. He looked at Toby who was looking at everything, Dennis had fallen asleep. “Welcome to our family.” He said kissing Toby, then Dennis, who merely fidgeted and went back to sleep.

“Welcome, Tobias and Dennis. The newest citizens of Royal Valley.” I said, doing the same to both. “So, it has been said, let it be written.”

The cheers went up and the party begun as Seth kissed me with a smile. “We’re Dads!”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm currently catching up with Nick Brady's Marco, Marty and the Twins, so I'm struggling to keep two sets of newly adopted brothers separate in my head. Of course, Ben & Sam are older than Toby & Dennis.

 

That was a nice ceremony to publicly acknowledge Seth & Eric's new sons.

Link to comment
On 11/28/2016 at 5:34 AM, droughtquake said:

I'm currently catching up with Nick Brady's Marco, Marty and the Twins, so I'm struggling to keep two sets of newly adopted brothers separate in my head. Of course, Ben & Sam are older than Toby & Dennis.

 

That was a nice ceremony to publicly acknowledge Seth & Eric's new sons.

Oh I love his stories. They are great. It is difficult when reading multiple stories. I do it all the time☺☺☺

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I did not realize that there were many different forms of Sign Language. Really there is a different sign language for every different nation -- even Australia and New Zealand use different signs for things than those used in America. Even the hand signs for the characters of the alphabet are different. That is difficult to understand, I had thought that the signs for example 'mother' would be the same in every sign language. Not so.

I remember a BF from my teaching days who was pleased to be Catholic because he could go into a Catholic Church in almost any country in the world and speak Latin to the Priest and be understood.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

I did not realize that there were many different forms of Sign Language. Really there is a different sign language for every different nation -- even Australia and New Zealand use different signs for things than those used in America. Even the hand signs for the characters of the alphabet are different. That is difficult to understand, I had thought that the signs for example 'mother' would be the same in every sign language. Not so.

I remember a BF from my teaching days who was pleased to be Catholic because he could go into a Catholic Church in almost any country in the world and speak Latin to the Priest and be understood.

[sarcasm]
Hey! We’re Americans! Everybody else in the world should learn how to speak English so they can understand us when we tell them how to do things the right way!
;–)
[/sarcasm]

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..