Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 1,678 Words
  • 3,461 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 24. Chapter 24

Ella walked in carrying Dennis who was still weaving his charms on Ella. Smiling and almost making noises…well, he was making noises to her.

“It’s like he wants to talk, but he can’t,” Ella said shaking her head. “None of my children did that until they were at least six months old. It seems he’s doing it to me on purpose!” She looked at me. “I see him, but I can’t believe he’s six weeks old.”

I chuckled. “Well, I didn’t see the birth happen, but I did see the aftermath. He was born six weeks ago.”

Once inside, I escorted Ella in the main room where we gathered as a family. Grace walked in and froze when she saw Ella.

“Grace.” I smiled pointing at Ella. “This is my sister Ella.”

Grace then bowed. “Your Majesty.”

Ella gave a slight bow. “You may call me Ella.” Ella smiled.

Grace’s eyes grew a little. “But you’re a queen!”

I smiled, but understood, but rolled my eyes. “Think of her as you would Terry. You don’t call her your highness, or even your majesty. You call Sam, Sam. He’s the king.”

Grace still had a little trouble with the concept, but did okay, until another carriage arrived three days later. That’s when Terry and Sam arrived, unplanned. Along with six guards!

“Sam!” Seth grinned as his brother walked in. Hugging his brother and sister, who also brought their two children, Seth turned and Grace was frowning. “Grace?”

“Now there are two queens and a king here!?” She moaned. “And seven children! All princes and princesses!” She looked at me. “Where do we put them?”

Seth shrugged laughing. “Well, it’s more than a royal flush for a game of cards. The Royal Valley Inn will be pleased. We have enough staff, or should I hire some more?”

“No!” Grace said firmly holding her hands out. “This house is big, but it’s not big enough, we’ll have people bumping into each other like they aren’t already!” She groaned and walked out.

Sam chuckled. “Well Terry had to see those new babies and I came along.” He shrugged. “I would have sent notification ahead, but…”

I walk in having to dodge as Toby and Edward ran by. “Sam!” I greeted my brother-in-law with a hug, then Terry.

Seth reached down and scooped up Toby. He grinned at Toby. “This is your Uncle Sam.” He said and signed to Toby. Then Seth pointed to Terry. “This is your Aunt Terry.”

Toby was only beginning to understand who Ella and his cousins were. His face wrinkled. Dad’s brother? He signed.

“Well, Daddy’s, but yes.” Seth nodded, but Sam was watching as Seth signed. Again, we did not tell them about Toby. “He’s my brother. He is to me what Dennis is to you.” Seth signed and said.

But Aunt Ella is Dad’s sister? Toby signed.

Seth grinned at Toby and nodded. He looked at Sam. “We didn’t know you were coming. We would have told you, but…He’s deaf. But he can read lips and will understand if you talk to him. He calls me Daddy and Erik, Dad.”

“When you have two fathers…” Sam shrugged and smiled at Toby. “Hello, Toby.” Sam shook Toby’s hand. “We’ve got a long time to get to know each other.” Then he smiled at me. “I hope this is okay coming like this.”

I grinned. “You’re king! It’s great! Although it will cause trauma for Grace.”

Sam smirked. “She worked for Arthur, so this is nothing.” He waved the thought off.

Sam and Terry had not met Ella having gotten to be king and queen after Ella and Christian had been here the last time. When we were told that Sam was returning to the capital of Blethos in a day or so, leaving Terry to come back on her own…with four of the guards. I pulled Seth away as Ella and Terry were crooning over Dennis. Michael, Edward, and Toby were wreaking havoc. Ana and Ada were trying to be ladies but were enjoying visiting with Princess Kristine.

“I know Toby’s birthday is next month or so, but when will we as a family get together again like this?” I began. “Perhaps we can celebrate Toby’s birthday while the family’s here.”

Seth grinned. “Do you think Toby will know it’s not?”

I shrugged. “He might. He is smart.” I frowned. “I just wish Christian and Thomas were here, too.”

Seth smiled. “Then Grace would really be upset, two kings and two queens!?”

It was so great having almost all we had as a family here. I almost envied Toby, he was deaf, the noise having seven children in the house was a little over the top. Grace may have felt like it was a bit much, so she said, but she loved it. When we proposed the idea of having Toby’s birthday, she knew what was needed. We had the gathering for Toby, even though we had to tell him what was happening. He’d only had one so far before, this was the second!

At the end of two weeks, we gathered outside to see Ella and her children off. The last of our family to leave. Then walked into a very, very quiet house.

Seth grinned. “That was great. Even if Sam left in two days.”

I shrugged. “He, like Christian, has a kingdom to run.”

 

Now life returned to normal. If there was a normal. Seth returned to working in the vineyard and I to the books and winery. We ended up hiring another nanny, though I will tell you, I didn’t care for it. It was my issue that was the problem, but…Dennis would bond with people. Doris and Hannah were needed because of breastfeeding. As Dennis grew, he needed more attention, to keep working we needed someone to keep him and Toby as I worked. We hired Maria. She was a nice young woman in her late twenties. Dark hair and an olive complexion. I celebrated my twenty-first birthday and soon the Nativity Season was coming. A’Dore and Blethos shared a language and many traditions, but there was something I kept noticing when I would go into town. In stores and in the windows of some of the homes I saw a tiny broom hanging. But when I saw one in the boys’ room, I wondered about it, so I asked.

“Maria, what’s the little broom for?” I asked.

She looked a little guilty about something. “I’m sorry, I should have asked.”

“Asked about what?” I asked.

“It’s the symbol of Befana.” Maria started to take it down.

I stopped her. “What is it? Who or what is Befana?”

“Mr. Thorne didn’t like it. But it’s for children. She’s a good witch who delivers gifts to children on the eve of the Epiphany.” She looked at me curiously. “I guess you didn’t have Befana in A’Dore.”

I shrugged then shook my head. “I’d have to say no. A good witch?”

She smiled. “Well, she was either just an old lady but most say she’s a good witch depending on the story. The Magi or Wise Men came to her on their way to find the Savior, but she was too busy cleaning house. She later decided to look for the Savior herself. As she is still looking, she delivers candy and gifts to good children, coal, and garlic to the naughty children.”

I smiled. “I think that’s wonderful.” I grinned at Dennis who was again trying to say something but hadn’t gotten how to do that yet. “Better than explaining the Epiphany to children.” Then frowned. “And Arthur Thorne didn’t like the story?” I grinned. “All the more reason to keep it. What else is needed?”

She smiled. “Well, usually there is a stocking hung for her to either put candy or coal in, depending on the child’s behavior. Gifts are just left to the children to find.”

“Does Toby know?” I asked seeing Toby working on yet another puzzle. I had gotten him one for older children, but he was almost through it.

“I haven’t told him yet.”

“Well, Seth and I will think we had better.” I grinned. And why wouldn’t he believe in Befana? He knew about Dara and Demetrius, they were magical so who was to say Befana was just a story? She could well exist like Dara and Demetrius! Seth and I were just going to help her out if she didn’t.

That evening as Seth lowered himself in the steaming water, sighing as his muscles relaxed. “This feels wonderful.”

I grinned at him. “Tell me about Befana.”

Seth’s eyes widened. “Befana?” Then he grinned. “Well, Arthur didn’t li ke her.” He chuckled. “He barely had time for the Church. He felt he had to at least honor the Church, but had no time for Befana’s nonsense.”

I smirked. “We both know how well he honored the Church. I think it’s great! We should tell the boys about her. In fact, we should tell Royal Valley not to hide her anymore.” I grinned moving closer to Seth. My hand stroking his manhood which stiffened immediately. Very many figures of the good witch on her broom everywhere. Bigger ones decorated with red and green ribbons. Displayed proudly. They were pretty. Even the town's lamps had red and green adding a festive feeling. Ther even strung green garland with red bows in the town. They were even having a celebration in town for the Nativity. We took the boys to Church, but the celebration of the Epiphany began the night before with everyone out after church as vendors provided food, drink, and entertainment. They even had a puppet show for the children. Carols were sung and people enjoyed their time together. Toby watched from Seth’s lap as I held Dennis, who was awake the whole time watching. Then I noticed Bent and Garth were together now with all three of Garth’s children. Bent had one daughter by hand who smiled at him. It was a great celebration.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Did some of the recent FSE immigrants bring the tradition of holiday trees with them? Will they decorate their trees with miniature brooms? ;-)

 

Good to see all the family gathered. And then echoed with the FSEs including Bent and Garth!

 

Nnno fffantasies? Sssorrry, the kkkeys are sssticking… ;-)

Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 07:43 PM, droughtquake said:

Did some of the recent FSE immigrants bring the tradition of holiday trees with them? Will they decorate their trees with miniature brooms? ;-)

 

Good to see all the family gathered. And then echoed with the FSEs including Bent and Garth!

 

Nnno fffantasies? Sssorrry, the kkkeys are sssticking… ;-)

Nah, that was a tradition that predates the FSE arrivals. She's a real icon, look her up. These holiday traditions came from Italia. (Italy in our world. I married an Italian, he's where I got her from.) But wait until next chapter. It's going to hit the fan!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Alright, I realize this is a fairy story, but I am a little overwhelmed with: children in schools, reading from bound books even if written by hand and I assume writing on slates with chalk -- swept streets, considering the number of horses there are around -- inside flush toilets -- water in pipes, copper I hope -- street lighting, which implies the availability of a liquid fuel like kerosene or hundreds of candles; all this makes Royal City truly a marvelous place. The magicians must really be busy! lol

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..