Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,207 Words
  • 4,065 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I've Always Loved You - 8. The Next Step

You are still my love, Daniel. And will always be.

Hero worship again and I will write on the other stories, but some questions had to be answered.

After hanging up with Hap and Barry were confirmed were coming I felt Mike take my hand and he pulled me to my feet.

“Now, we need to talk to Chet.” Mike said seriously.

I was not sure why. “He just doesn’t understand about what we’re doing?” I suggested.

Mike nodded. “Yes, I agree, but we need to get him to understand why this is important to us.”

We went up to Chet’s bedroom. After knocking on his door, Mike opened it slowly. Chet was doing homework at his desk! No one told him he had to, but he did it on his own. What child does that!? He was so thirsty for knowledge he did it on his own. That was a bit odd to me. Then again, no one pressured me to practice piano or learn music. I was odd, too. Chet looked up and the look on his face was curious, but he smiled.

“Hi, Dad. Hi, PopE.”

Mike came in leading me in with him. “Hi, Champ.” Mike greeted with a smile. “You seemed to have inherited my love of knowledge. That’s great!” He chuckled and came toward Chet, ruffling his son’s orange-red hair. “There is nothing like understanding.” He and I sat on the side of his bed so we could speak more directly to Chet. “We’d like to talk to you.”

Chet nodded. “Okay.” His eyes narrowed a little. Again, this boy did inherit some other things from his father. The ability to perceive things was one. “Why?”

“Your reaction to hearing that Eric and I are marrying sooner told me you didn’t understand,” Mike explained.

Chet turned to look at us better. “Okay. What don’t I understand?”

“What is your understanding about what a marriage is?” Mike asked.

Chet thought a minute and then shrugged. “I’m not sure. I know that a lot of people do it. There’s a great party and all that.”

Mike chuckled and nodded. “Yes, there is a party, but it’s so much more.” He thought also how to explain things so Chet could get it. “What is meant when two people marry?”

Chet’s eyes widened. “I don’t know.”

Mike nodded. “I thought so.” He smiled and sighed. “Why Chase?”

Chet looked surprised. “Why Chase what?”

“Is there any other at your school you like to be with as much as Chase?” Mike asked.

“No,” Chet said wondering where this was going. “He’s my best friend. I like him better.”

Mike nodded. “Okay.” He put his hand on mine. “Understand this. Eric is my best friend, but…so much stronger than being just a friend. I more than like Eric. I love Eric.” He smiled at me. “Adults seek a friendship that is so much more than simple friendship. We find someone we love so much, we want to join with that person. We want to be a part of that person so much, it’s like we are becoming one person.” He leaned forward to Chet whose eyes grew. “That person becomes the most important human being to the other than anyone else on this planet. I told you…you are important to me because you’re my son. You are made by me and your mother. You are one person created by your Mom and me. Eric is important for another reason. He is as important to me as you are, but for that other reason. I would give my very life for you…and I would do it for Eric. No question asked. He will be my husband…my partner…a part of my very soul. What we are doing on Saturday is part of that, telling everyone how important we are to each other.” He smiled at Chet’s widening eyes. “I see you’re understanding more. One day you will meet someone that you will want to do this with. They will become so important you will forget to eat. You’ll lose sleep until that person joins with you and becomes a part of your life. That is what’s happening on Saturday.”

Chet sat back as what he was told he was slowly getting to understand. “Oh.”

Mike nodded. “This is exciting to Eric and me. We want this more than anything and we are happy doing it. Do you understand now?”

Chet nodded and was almost speechless. “I think so.”

“Good.” Mike got up and hugged his son. “I’m glad you're trying. It will take a while before you fully understand, but you’re trying.”

 

Now, telling Mark was a challenge, too. I called him the next morning and told him to stop by when he had a chance. Mike and I did go downtown to get the license needed. They entered our names and the date of the upcoming wedding. I knew what I hoped, but wasn’t counting on it. I waited for a decent time and…I was shaking as I hit the call button.

“Hello, Eric.” Ray Boltz answered.

“Hi, Ray.” I began hesitantly. I was talking to a man I considered my hero and I hoped he’d agree. “What I’m going to tell you, it is at the last minute, but…Mike and I are getting married on Saturday.”

“That’s wonderful!” Ray said sincerely.

“Thanks,” I said. “Again, it was because of you.”

“Me?”

“When you came out when you did. Marriage for gay men wasn’t legal.” I explained.

“That’s right,” Ray said.

“But you lived with Frank until it was legal,” I said.

“That’s right.”

“There is nothing stopping Mike and me from marrying. Because of that, we decided to make it legal and before God.” I said.

I could almost hear Ray smile. “There are many reasons to do it. You know what the reason is. You love him.”

“I do.” I agreed. “I am asking and…if you can’t, I’ll understand, but…I’d like if you and Frank were here.”

I heard a chuckle. “You haven’t even met us yet.”

“But I think I do know you,” I said. “Your whole life is in your music. I’ve known you most of my life for the same reason. I think I know what sort of person you are.”

“So, is your life,” Ray said. “You want us there.”

“I would love it, but if you can’t…”

Ray laughed. “Frank and I are retired now. We will love to be there.”

I was feeling a thrill hearing that. “We can fly you here on Friday.”

“I can arrange the flight,” Ray said.

“Absolutely not, Ray.” I smiled even though he couldn’t see it. “You’re coming for me? Making arrangements will be my pleasure. I’ll let you know the time and flight number. I should have it in a few minutes.”

“Okay.” Ray agreed. “I’m looking forward to it.”

I hung up loving the idea of having him here. I quickly got online and booked the flight and paid for them. First class! They deserved so much more. I emailed the information with the boarding passes to Ray. I even arranged transportation in the form of limousines to and from the airports in both cities. To me, he and Frank should have nothing less.

 

Mark came by just before lunch. “You wanted to talk to me.” He said worriedly. “Is something wrong? You wouldn’t tell me on the phone.”

I waved him in and motioned for him to come in and sit down. “I couldn’t tell you just over the phone, Mark. You deserve to hear from me.”

Mark did know me and his face got a new look of concern. “No trouble with you and Mike again?”

Sitting on the sofa, I shook my head. “No. No trouble. In fact, it’s good what I’m going to tell you.” I smiled at Mark. “Mike and I are getting married on Saturday.”

Mark nodded slowly. “Oh.” He said a little sad. “I see.”

“You knew this was going to happen.” I urged him to see that.

“I did.” Mark nodded. “This is just a little fast.”

I shook my head. “No, it was very slow.” I chuckled. “It has taken a decade.”

Mark nodded. “Yep, you’re right.” He smiled. “It did. I will tell you though, I am so jealous.”

I nodded. “I know. I’m sorry, but…”

Mark shook his head. “No, don’t be sorry. It was my fault.”

“Not totally your fault and you feel what you feel.” I put my hand on his shoulder. “You are a big part of my life, Mark. I will never forget what you have done. You are a friend and even part of my family. Believe that.”

Mark again nodded. “You don’t lie.” He smiled. “I believe you. So, no big wedding? The fans are expecting one.”

“We’ll still have one.” I grinned. “It will just be after the real one.”

 

When Della came in that afternoon, I told her.

“That answers the question.” She smiled with a sigh. “You are gay and will always be.” She sighed and hugged me. “I’m happy for you and Mike.” She looked at Mark. “You and I need to plan.”

“Plan what?” I asked her.

“You are marrying the one person that means everything to you,” Della said simply. “I understand this needs to be kept quiet for now, but you can’t marry the man you love and just have nothing else. You need more. A cake, decorations and yes…more than hotdogs for a reception. Mark and I will handle that.”

“We will?” Mark asked.

“We will.” She grabbed Mark by the arm. “Let’s go handsome.”

 

The next few days is a mystery to explain. In many ways, time just crawled, but that Friday came quickly, too and I was making sure our guest room was ready. Clean sheets and fresh towels in their bathroom. Chet even started to get more excited as the house was being decorated. Flowers. I never gave them a real consideration, but Della did.

I spoke with Amy Diaz and told her and invited her and her wife. Amy had done so much for me, Mike and Chet; I couldn’t not invite them.

It was that evening when I heard the doorbell. I all but raced to the door. I was excited! Opening it was…it was a dream to me. There were Ray Boltz and his husband Franco Sperduti standing hand in hand. Both men were older now, Ray was in his mid-sixties. Frank was nearly seventy, but they were still very handsome men. They carried their years well.

Ray grinned at me. “Hello, Eric.”

“I have to do this,” I explained to Ray and rushed at him hugging the man.

“I’d have been disappointed if you didn’t.” Ray chuckled and hugged me back. He separated from me a little and put his hand on his husband. “This is my husband Frank.”

I hugged him, too. “I know who you are.”

Frank laughed. “And I know you. All those concerts and videos…how can I not?”

I looked back at Mike and held my hand out to him. “This is Mike. Who tomorrow, will be my husband.”

Ray chuckled holding his hand out. “Yes, I know. That proposal was very romantic.” They shook hands, but Ray pulled Mike in for a hug. I knew I liked Ray. He was as big a fan of hugs as I was.

 

Hap and Barry came over shortly afterward to tell how things were going to happen.

“Since this is a sort of short notice thing,” Barry said as he explained. “Are there special witnesses? Best man or something?”

I looked at Mark and turned to Ray. “There are many I’d like to stand for me,” I said. “Mark, I know this is difficult, but I’d love it if you would and Ray, I’d love it if you would.” I looked at Barry. “Can I have two best men?”

“Well, this is a nontraditional marriage, but what do you two think?” Barry asked them.

Mark bowed his head slightly but nodded. “I’d be very willing to.”

I turned to Ray. “You heard me before, I think of you as my inspiration. You’re like a father. I’d love it if you would be that tomorrow.”

Ray smiled. “It will be an honor. Of course, I will.”

Mike turned to Chet. “Well, I can think of one.” He looked at Chet. “Will you give me to Eric? Be my best man?”

Chet’s eyes grew. “Can I?” He asked. “That would be awesome!”

Barry chuckled. “Okay, that’s solved. How about the rings?”

I looked at my left hand. “I just want Cesar and Maria Vega’s ring.” I smiled touching the ring. “But,” I got up and told them to wait. Upstairs I got the ring out of a drawer where I placed it before and came down again. “I got this.” I held open a ring box. “It doesn’t have the history the one you gave me has, but…” I presented the gold band. “It’s from me to you. I got it shortly after you proposed.”

Mike smiled at took the ring. Looking at it, he smiled. There was a ring of flames all around the wide black band. The flames were shiny yellow and white gold. He squinted and read the inside of the ring. “Bound together in love for eternity. Eric and Mike.” He read and I saw a tear start in his eye. “I will wear it proudly.” He stood and hugged me.

I really enjoyed having my hero there. Frank looked over to Mike.

“They can’t help it.” Frank smiled at us. “They are artists and good at what they do. Like kindred spirits. We should leave them alone.”

Ray was my hero in many ways. He showed the world that he could be what he was and still be gay. We talked a while when Mike came and touched me gently.

“It’s getting late and we’ve got a pretty big day tomorrow. How about we get some sleep?” He grinned at me.

 

The next morning started out with a slow boil. Decorations came in. The world would probably know we had gotten married because of the traditional candelabras brought in and more flowers. Not a lot, but enough to spread around and those little flowers for our lapels. The great room had been rearranged to allow people to stand as we exchanged vows in front of the fireplace. I had done none of the preparations really. Mike and I saw that Chet was dressed in his suit. Everyone arrived dressed. There suits on the men and dresses for the ladies. Even Hap wore a suit, but it was a western suit. Very nice, but very Texan. When the time came we gathered in front of the fireplace. Barry, wearing his ceremonial robe smiled at Mike and me. Ray Boltz and Mark to my side and Chet to Mike’s side.

“My dear friends. I am so honored and thrilled to be asked to join these two souls in marriage.” Barry began smiling. “I have known Eric a while and I just met Mike, but I’ve known both of them for years through Eric’s songs. Never have I felt so strongly about two people joining this way.” He looked at Hap. “Except for you and me, Darlin’.”

Hap nodded and blew him a kiss and then waved to him to go on.

“Entering marriage is so important. Not to be entered in lightly. We stand before chosen friends and before God as we join them together today.” Barry said. “Take each others’ hands.” He instructed. “I ask you, who gives Eric Richards to Michael Calhoun?”

Ray nodded. “I do.”

Mark smiled. “And I do.”

Barry nodded. “And who gives Michael Calhoun to Eric Richards?”

“I do!” Chet said loud and proud.

Barry nodded. “We had to fight to get the right to legally marry who we chose, it is so much more important that this happens. I will ask. Are there words you wish to share?” He asked me.

“Yes.” I nodded and turned to Mike, he looked very happy and I starting to feel the awesomeness of what we were doing. “I think I fell in love with you that night you came to the church and I had that performance. I sang for the others to hear my songs, but I was really singing to an audience of one; you. We were in a situation that just got complicated, but…it’s being straightened out now. I have never felt anything like I do with you. I love you, Mike. I want to spend our lives together. There will be no one else.”

Mike nodded and swallowed audibly. “I felt the same when we met. I had never met anyone like you and I never will again. We had an instant connection I felt so…deeply…there were complications. I want you in my life. Without you, I would have no life. There is no one else. I love you, Eric. I want to spend our life together.”

Barry nodded his smile growing. “Well, we’ll begin. Do you, Eric Richards, promise to love and vow before God, friends, and family and to honor and cherish Michael Calhoun, for better and for worse, in sickness and health…forsaking all others until death parts you?”

“I do,” I said smiling at Mike. Now, the emotions were becoming so much more. My vision was blurring as I now knew the heaviness of the words being spoken.

“Do you, Michael Calhoun, promise to love and vow before God, friends, and family and to honor and cherish Eric Richards for better and for worse, in sickness and health…forsaking all others until death parts you?”

Mike had to clear his throat but nodded. “I do.”

Barry reached toward Ray who handed him my ring and Chet who handed him Mike’s ring. “The rings: these rings are symbols of what’s happening today. Never ending, no beginning and no end. Love eternal.” He handed Mike the ring he gave me. “Give this to Eric and slide it on his finger and say…with this ring, I take you Eric Richards as my husband.”

Mike took the ring and did just that. Sliding on my finger, he smiled as the tears were coming down his face. “With this ring, I take you, Eric Richards as my husband.”

“Now, you do the same,” Barry instructed handing me Mike’s ring.

I slide it on Mike’s finger. “With this ring, I take you, Michael Calhoun as my husband.”

“By the power vested in me by God and by the state of Texas, I pronounce these two souls as married.” He grinned as us. “Kiss your husbands.”

Mike wrapped his arms around me as my arms did him and kissed with love and the promise of a passion to come.

“I present these men are married!” Barry said loud.

I saw Della raise something and press a button on a remote. We all heard the musical beginning and everyone knew the song. I grinned as Mike and I hugged and Etta James’ sultry voice begin. “At last, my love has come along. My lonely days are over and life is like a song, oh yeah.” I kissed Mike again as we began to dance.

“You are mine,” Mike said almost in a whisper. “At last.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 37
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I think I make suggestions in my Comments and you adjust what you have planned next, but suggest to us all that you had already planned to do what I came up with!  ;-)

 

 

Unlike Chet, I almost never did my homework. But when I was in school, teachers weren’t so obsessed with giving hours of homework every night! Certainly I got some, but I was never penalized for not studying at home. I definitely underperformed, but I wasn’t challenged in school. There were few classes and even fewer teachers I cared about. I just slid under the radar of most teachers and they didn’t pay much attention to me.  ;-)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Omg you just had to have Etta! I love Della so much! Perfect chapter!!

Of course, I had Etta.  She sure as Hell predates Cher, Madonna or Bette!  If you don't know her, hand in your gay card.  You're out of the club.  If you applied for one, you won't get it until you listen to her!  Etta James!    We don't give those little pink cards to just anyone.  The song is perfect for this chapter!  (I'm just kidding.  Or am I?)  :evil:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Etta James was an incredible choice for the setting. I intend to steal that idea. I was surprised to find that Ray Boltz actually existed and you were using him in gay fiction. I went to youtube for "Don't tell me Who to Love". I have avoided Christian pop almost as much as rap and hip-hop. I think it is great that songs by, about and for gays are readily available today. I grew up listening to pop music and oftentimes thinking 'that song is about gay lovers'. Olivia Newton John's, "I Honestly Love You" is a case in point. One which I might add turned out to have been written by a gay man who was married to Liza Minnelli. "there you are with yours and here I am with mine"

Write faster. Post sooner

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, sojourn said:

I was surprised to find that Ray Boltz actually existed and you were using him in gay fiction

Yes, he does exist.  He is very real and though I used him in this story, I tried to stay true to the man I know.  He really is a man I look up to and he is a hero to a lot of people.  He has an amazing life.  I really did try to sing his songs and I really did have a hard time singing that one song.  Using in fiction, but very, very real.  :heart:

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

What a perfect wedding for these two at this point in their relationship! I am still really enjoying these characters and their story! Thanks.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 2/18/2018 at 1:28 PM, sojourn said:

I grew up listening to pop music and oftentimes thinking 'that song is about gay lovers'. Olivia Newton John's, "I Honestly Love You" is a case in point. One which I might add turned out to have been written by a gay man who was married to Liza Minnelli. "there you are with yours and here I am with mine"

Olivia was aware enough of her Gay fans that she did the Physical music video, one of the Gayest videos of the era! (The director of the video has no personal information listed on his Wikipedia page, IMDb entry, or professional website. That always makes me wonder since straight people go out of their way to mention their spouses regardless of the context or relevance.)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Olivia was aware enough of her Gay fans that she did the Physical music video, one of the Gayest videos of the era! (The director of the video has no personal information listed on his Wikipedia page, IMDb entry, or professional website. That always makes me wonder since straight people go out of their way to mention their spouses regardless of the context or relevance.)

Yes, I realized people knew about me and Daniel when I was...more in the closet at work.  I would refer to him as "my spouse."  Evasions are telling.  What the hell?  Like I realized, gay men working in a hotel!?  I'm surprised when the are NOT gay.  Directors?  He might be GAY!!??  Not telling is just as telling.  :mellow:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, R. Eric said:

Yes, I realized people knew about me and Daniel when I was...more in the closet at work.  I would refer to him as "my spouse."  Evasions are telling.  What the hell?  Like I realized, gay men working in a hotel!?  I'm surprised when the are NOT gay.  Directors?  He might be GAY!!??  Not telling is just as telling.  :mellow:

How in the Closet could you be when he sent you roses at work all the time?  ;-)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

How in the Closet could you be when he sent you roses at work all the time?  ;-)

I didn't stay there.  I knew everyone knew I was seeing someone and it was serious.  He did do that and my evasions were telling...so I told them who Daniel was.  They weren't surprised.  I guess I scored higher on the Kinsey Scale than I believed.  Oh, well.  It only took a few days before I told a friend who told me she figured I was.  We are not that clever.  :P

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Olivia was aware enough of her Gay fans that she did the Physical music video, one of the Gayest videos of the era! (The director of the video has no personal information listed on his Wikipedia page, IMDb entry, or professional website. That always makes me wonder since straight people go out of their way to mention their spouses regardless of the context or relevance.)

I remember seeing her on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.  They talked about stalker-ish fans and she said, "If they bug me too much, I just tell them I'm gay."  I thought that was quite a bold statement,, at the time for a "Star" to make on national television.  Let's face it, it would be quite a bold statement for a star today.

I like her music.  But, "I Honestly Love You" always keys up memories of what might have been.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I only have one word ...Tears... I can't see to type as the tears are still there ...

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Kev said:

I only have one word ...Tears... I can't see to type as the tears are still there ...

Aw, you poor man!  Hi, Kev!!!  Long time no see!  I know, I've seen you hit a story or two.  It's nice to see you still around.  I love you, mister!  :wub:

Edited by R. Eric
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Kev

Posted (edited)

On 4/19/2018 at 9:46 AM, R. Eric said:

Aw, you poor man!  Hi, Kev!!!  Long time no see!  I know, I've seen you hit a story or two.  It's nice to see you still around.  I love you, mister!  :wub:

 

Sorry! I didn't disappear, it might sound weird but I just needed space and still haven't gone back to the old stories ... Bad news from doctor had me in a right spin! doing better now just something have had to learn to live with. Loving the new story, but may be slow in picking it up as I have new glasses coming next week. Even trying my hand at writing for the first time in months.

2012 ... WOW didn't realize it was this far back... All of that seems like history now. Loving the story again 🥰:thankyou:🥰

Edited by Kev
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..