Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,539 Words
  • 3,359 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I've Always Loved You - 9. Christmas Part 1

This time last year, Daniel. You were so sick. I really hurt for you. There was nothing I could do, but be there with you and watch. i would have done anything to ease your pain. By the end of this month, it ended and you are at peace. You left a void in my life nothing and no one can fill. I miss you, Daniel. I love you. We will see each other again.

Christmas Part 1

 

As we began dancing right in front where we had made our vows and pronounced married, the others began applauding as Etta James sang her heartfelt song.

I felt a sense of completion now as we danced in our hug. Mike was my husband now. Mike was really now Mine at Last. This had been a last minute thing, so dancing as soon as we were pronounced married…no one said we shouldn’t! Even his kiss felt better as our lips touched again. “Mine at last,” I said to him.

Mike nodded in our embrace, his lips right at my ear. “I’m yours and you are mine. Forever. At last.”

Barry touched us on the shoulders. “There are people wanting to congratulate you.” He waved at the others who were slowly approaching us.

We turned and hugging all of them, but I stopped Ray as he was walking away after hugging. “Thank you, Ray,” I said to him quietly making him smile at me. “It was so beautiful that you came! I can’t tell you how much this has meant to me.”

He nodded with a growing smile. “If we can share in this happy moment with you…it was worth it. You made us a part of this moment…you made me a part of this important moment in your life. I’m more than happy to do it for you both. Your love for Mike is documented in your songs. We were privileged to be included in this.” He hugged me tightly. “Of course, you know this means we’ll be seeing and hearing from you a lot more.”

“Try to stop me, Ray,” I said in the hug. “I’ll be blowing up your phone with texts, emails, and calls from me.”

“Make sure you do,” Ray said shaking his finger in my face as a parent would, but his smile was still there.

The reception just happened right there and then. Della held her hand up again and hit another button on the remote and music again played. This was more of a party type of music. I looked over and saw Mark. He was smiling, but I could see there was hurt in his eyes. Going over I didn’t talk to him, I just hugged him.

“Thank you, Mark,” I said touching his face and kissed him lightly. “I will always love you.”

Mark nodded and smiled. “Yea, I know that.” Then he looked at Mike and then back to me. “Where are you going on the honeymoon?”

I laughed. “Well, this was sort of at the last minute,” I said. “We didn’t really plan for one of those. This past few months have sort of felt like a honeymoon to me.”

Mark shook his head. “Well, for now, that’s fine, but you have concerts coming up and appearances in New York for the New Year’s Eve event. You need time to yourselves.”

“Thanks, Mark.” I smiled. “We’ll do that.”

This wasn’t the big wedding and reception we were going to have, but it was nice. It was a party. Della and Mark had arranged for some food that had been delivered. Nothing fancy, but tasty. We had a wedding cake! Not one of those big monstrosities, but it was good! We did the traditional cutting of the cake as flashes popped around us to capture another moment in our lives and there was no smearing cake on either of us.

As happy as we were, I noticed Chet was looking at everything happening and I saw he was working things out in his mind. For an eight-year-old, he was trying so hard to understand more about the world. I loved how he would work things out quietly and contemplate a while before he asked questions and drew a conclusion. He was eight!! They don’t do that normally.

I ventured over to Chet as he sat quietly eating part of our wedding cake. “I hope you understand more about what just happened.”

Chet looked at me and gave a nod and then frowned. “I know people get married. Dad married mom, but…he’s married to you now.”

I nodded. “That’s right. Your Dad and I have made ourselves a real family.”

Chet frowned. “I thought you were family.”

I chuckled nodding. “You’re right, we are, but now…it is legal.” I moved closer to Chet. “Once in a while, someone comes into our life that becomes so important we want to be a part of their life. Your Dad and I wanted our lives to become one. That’s what we just did; legally, but also before God. Mike and I are married. It sometimes happens more often than we want, but done for reasons, not like ours…we really only want to do this one time. Your father is it, for me.” I looked at his eyes as he listened. “He’s a very, very good man, Chet. I’m happy he agreed to do this with me.” I touched Chet’s face gently. “In a sense, I married you, too.”

“Me?”

“Yes.” I chuckled. “You’re Mike’s son. You are a family. I married your Dad and that makes you and me family, too.”

Chet frowned. “I thought we were family.”

I chuckled. “Yes, we are, but now…we are officially family. We are legally family. Now, even more so than just that single Power of Attorney we showed you.”

Chet looked a little worried. “And you’re not going anywhere?”

I was a little surprised at that. “No.”

“Mom did,” Chet said sadly.

I realized what he meant and hugged him quickly. “I am sorry about what happened, but she didn’t go away because she wanted to, Chet. I can’t promise that won’t happen.” I kissed the top of his head. “I will promise you this. I’ll do all I can to stay healthy to better my chances to stay alive.” I looked down at him. “I eat right and exercise. I will do the same for your Dad…” I grinned. “Of course, that means you will be doing that, too.” I chuckled and touched his plate with the more than healthy slice of cake on it.

Chet nodded and smiled, eating more of the cake. “But it is good.” He said about the cake. “It makes me happy!”

 

I went to Mike, who had been watching what was happening. Standing next to him, Mike looked at his son.

“That looked like a pretty intense conversation,” Mike observed quietly.

“It was.” I agreed. “He’ll be fine.” I sighed as Mike wrapped his arms around me again. “It’s been a tough year for him. He’s just…adjusting his mind to things.”

The party lasted until late…or early depending on your perspective. It was after three in the morning when Mike and I got to bed.

Mike looked at me propped on his elbow, looking down at me.
“You spoke of a satisfied, comfortable feeling before.” He grinned. “I felt it, too, but now…” he bent in kissing me, “I feel it even more so. My husband.” He said quietly. “I love you.”

I nodded. “I love you, too.” It was never an effort, but now, we came together because that was just…us.

 

We came downstairs around noon that Sunday. Most of our guests were gone now except for Ray and Frank as they sat at the table in the kitchen quietly.

I frowned at what I saw. “I’m sorry, gentlemen, I should have been here to make breakfast for you.”

Ray grinned as he sipped his coffee. “Don’t be silly.” He chuckled. “You had just gotten married! You were…busy.” He got a grin on his face that was a little more…leering. “I hope.”

Frank nodded with a chuckle. “I did help myself and made something this morning. There were some leftovers from the reception. I hope you don’t mind.” He waved at the stairs to upstairs. “And there was this young man with red hair that said he was hungry.”

Mike laughed knowing his son. “Yes, we know that tune well. That boy is a bottomless pit.”

Frank rose from his place beside Ray. “Do you need more coffee, Sweetie?” He asked Ray.

Ray grinned and shook his head. “I’m good, Babe.”

“The coffee is only a little old,” Frank said waving at the coffee maker. “It’s still warm. I can make more.”

I touched Frank gently on the arm. “I’m sort of odd,” I admitted. “You see? I like my coffee lukewarm or cold.”

Frank stood a moment as he considered what I said and then nodded. “You’re right. That is odd.”

“There are a lot of things I should have considered,” I said going into the kitchen to get Mike and me something to eat. “I didn’t invite you two here to take care of Chet.”

Ray shook his head understanding. “It was sort of short notice. I have children, it was no problem. Chet’s a smart boy.”

Mike nodded as he came in to help me. “He’s been through a lot these past few months. He is smart. I hope he will understand when he knows the whole story.”

Ray nodded. “He will. Trust me.” He said from experience.

“Your flight back is tomorrow.” I changed the topic. “What do you want to do today?” I asked.

Frank looked surprised. “You two just got married!”

Mike smiled at me. “We just had what we had to as we made it legal.” He shrugged. “Not saying that’s not a big deal, but we have been married a few months now.”

I grinned back at Mike. “My husband is right. We sort of became married when we got together as a couple.” I walked over and hugged Frank. “Having you two come was…a real highlight for me.”

Frank chuckled and pointed to Ray. “You mean having him here was a highlight.”

I nodded. “I admit it, Frank. I wanted Ray here because I knew of him through his songs and having followed him as he came out.” I hugged Frank again. “But knowing about him and what sort of man he is…he saw something in you that attracted him. Will you give me the opportunity to see what that is? I think I see it a little now. Ray’s a good man, so I trust him to pick the right person to share his life with. Can I get to know you?” Mike walked over to me and Frank.

“Give me a chance to know both of you?” Mike asked. “Frank, I think because we are the other person in the lives of someone like Ray and Eric…I will be talking a lot to you. Seeking advice on things.”

Frank smiled. “I am looking forward to it.”

I turned to Ray who was smiling more listening to what we said. “And you…can help me keep things straight in my head as my career progresses.”

Ray got up and put an arm around my shoulder. “Your head seems to be on straight, but any advice I can give that you ask for, I will give willingly.” He looked at me seriously. “I know a little history about you…as it’s common knowledge now…but, your parents are dead, right?”

I nodded. “That’s right.”

Ray nodded. “What about you, Mike? Are your parents in your life?”

Mike scratched his ear absently. “Well, my father has never been in my life. I have his name, but…and Mom was always drunk, so…” he shrugged. “I don’t even know if she’s alive. She sort of disappeared.”

Ray smiled. “Well, if you don’t mind…” he put his arm around Frank. “We’d be happy to be those parents to both of you.”

Okay, I had to hug them both again. “We’ll be a real family!!”

 

It was nice having Ray and Frank there. In many ways, they were a lot like Mike and me. Not just because they were gay, I mean…Ray was a performer and Frank had supported Ray from the sidelines. While Mike and Frank supported me and Ray, their backgrounds were different, but the two seemed to really fit together without trying. It simply was. Just like Mike and me.

I took them all to the Stockyards, the Cattlemen, a nice restaurant that had things common for this part of the world. There was the rustic interior with the unpolished wood and things like saddles and harnesses around to add a cowboy ambiance. What they were known for some great steaks and of course, Chet being a veteran of this place told them what was good from his several visits here.

“Those Wrangler Calamari are great!” Chet told them smiling as he pointed where they were on the menu to Frank. “The sauce is kind of hot.” He went on. “Those Shoot ‘em Up Onion Bullets are my favorite.” He chuckled. “Again, the sauce is pretty hot.” His brow furled a little. “I don’t think there is a sauce here that isn’t hot.” He looked at me. “Is there PopE?”

I grinned. “There are some.” I turned his page to another. “There is the Greenhorn menu.” I leaned in closer and pointed to the less…spicy sauces. “That is for those that aren’t Texans.”

Chet smiled. “And I am a Texan now!” He said proudly.

Mike nodded. “Yes, you are.”

As much as we enjoyed getting to know these two better, we had to get back to our lives as they had to return to theirs. Monday morning, we watched the limousine take them to the airport after promising we would stay in touch with each other. I knew Ray had children, but in many ways, I felt he liked having a son that may have understood even more about his true nature. He is what he is. Just like me.

 

The holiday season was here and Mike and I knew we’d hear from the Atkins. A week after the wedding, I was getting ready for the upcoming demands I was facing with performances coming up. It was the afternoon when I saw a light blink telling me the phone was ringing…I had that rigged so when I was working, it didn’t distract me or make the unwanted sound on what I was working on. It was a few minutes when I heard Mike talking as he came down the hall where I was working.

“…he isn’t comfortable with you,” Mike said in a tired voice as he said it again and then listened. “…and you still don’t understand why that is?” He was shaking his head as he came in where I was. “I’ll talk to Chet, but he needs a supervised visit if he does…even for Christmas.” He sighed. “Because his grandfather shot me!!! In front of Chet!” Mike looked at me. “¿por qué no pueden ver eso?” He asked me why they couldn’t see that. “¡ Dios, estas personas son densas!” He swore to God these people were dense.

I shrugged and said. “No sé.” Telling him I didn’t know.

“I was talking to Eric!” Mike said to a question he heard. “Yes, he is involved with this. No visits without supervision! And I don’t mean from that damned church!” He clicked the off button as he waved the house’s portable phone and sighed. “These things are great, but…” he grumbled holding the phone, “you can’t slam them.”

I saw Mike was struggling with this. “We need to invent something that will make that statement over these new phones.” Coming over to him, I touched his arm, making him look at me. “From what I heard, they want Chet to come there for Christmas.”

Mike nodded with a sigh. “He will have to come there as Manny can’t leave home.” He ran a hand through his hair as he sat down. “I don’t think Manny deserves to see Chet.” He templed his fingers as he thought. “I’m thinking of Chet. They are his grandparents. Part of him…” he shuddered, “is made from them.”

I moved closer to him. “He is made of their building blocks…that’s all. Their ideology is not natural, so Chet doesn’t have that.”

Mike nodded. “I don’t have to let this happen at all.” He then smiled at me with a laugh. “I mean…we don’t have to let this happen. I don’t want Chet to hate them.”

I brought him in for a gentle kiss. “I know. You’re a good man, Baby.” I smiled at him as our foreheads met. “When do they want him there?”

“Christmas Eve and Christmas Day,” Mike answered.

“Let me talk to Amy and find out what we can do,” I told him. “We have a few weeks.”

Mike frowned. “I don’t want him to go away from us for Christmas.”

“He won’t have to.” I smiled. “We can go with him.”

Mike looked surprised. “We go with him?”

“You and I only have each other, Mike.” I reasoned. “We can celebrate Christmas as a family in a hotel; as long as we’re together.”

 

A week later Amy got back to Mike and me at our house about what could and should happen. She sat down in a chair near us in our great room.

“Taking him to Charleston, you need to be careful,” Amy warned pushing that statement harder. “Don’t let Chet out of your sight.” She smiled. “I know you know that and I have something in the works.” She got a look that was…a little mean. “Eli and Avi Bau.”

My eyebrows rose. “They’re Jewish!?” It made sense! Christmas wasn’t their holiday!

Amy nodded. “That’s right and they aren’t brothers.” She smiled more. “They are married. Eli is a social worker, Avi is a police officer. They agreed to take Chet together.”

Mike nodded with a chuckle. “And they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.” He said knowing it probably wasn’t.

Amy shook her head. “No, they do want something.”

“What?” I asked.

She shrugged. “They are fans of yours, Eric.”

I nodded. “They want more than an autograph.”

Amy held her hand up. “The compensation is to meet the two of you. If you do a song or two at a function for them…that’s up to you.”

“I’m not Jewish!” I laughed.

“So, no one’s perfect. They are gay!” Amy said simply. “Tú tampoco eres latín.” She said I also wasn’t Latino.

“Sure.” I agreed. “Why not. Do I sign a contract or something?”

Amy shook her head. “No. They trust you.”

Mike chuckled and threw his head back. “Manny and Wynona are going to love this!”

 

We told Chet what was going to happen when he got home from school.

“I’m going to Grandma’s and Grandpa’s,” Chet said uncertainly. “Why?”

Mike frowned and sighed. “Because they are your grandparents.” He stressed. “They are your mother’s parents. Your Uncles Johnny and Ronnie are going to be there with their children…your cousins.” He touched Chet on his arms. “I’ve known Johnny and Ronnie. They are good people. You like your cousins. They are your cousins. Don’t hate them because of what your grandpa and grandma did or said.”

Chet rolled his eyes. “I don’t hate them, Dad…” he corrected hesitantly, but not happy with the news. “I just don’t…like them right now.”

Mike nodded. “I know, but they do love you, Chet.”

I was impressed with how adamantly Mike was pushing this. “They were worried about you, Chet,” I added backing Mike up.

“But they lied to me, PopE.” Chet almost whined. “They wouldn’t tell me about Mom, they don’t like that you and Dad were getting married, they don’t like the others like you…it doesn’t make sense! Why!?”

Mike grabbed Chet pulling him in for a hug. “I know and I’m so happy it doesn’t make sense to you, son.” He smiled at his son. “Not everyone is going to agree with everyone, but on this…”

“It shouldn’t make sense to anyone!” Chet shouted. “How is love bad!? They told me in Sunday School God is love! You and PopE love, how is that bad!?” He asked with the indignity of an irritated eight-year-old. “How is your love wrong, or Grandpa Ray’s and Grandpa Frank’s wrong? They love each other just like you and PopE! They’re married, too!”

I sat back at that surprised at the titles he gave Ray and Frank. “Grandpa Ray? Grandpa Frank?” I asked grinning. “What brought that on?”

Chet didn’t understand. “Grandpa Ray said you said he was like your Dad now.” He looked puzzled at me. “He and Grandpa Frank are like your Dads and Dad’s Dad. They said so and so did you! I heard from you. They were at the wedding.”

I chuckled. “Yes, I did say that.” I nodded. “He is a good man and I’d love to have him as a father.”

Chet nodded not understanding why I didn’t see his logic. “So, aren’t they my grandpas?”

Mike nodded. “Yes, I guess they are.” He laughed and looked at me. “He figured that out by himself, too.” He hugged Chet. “I told you he was smart!”

I ruffled the red hair. “Yes, he is.” I grabbed them both in a hug. There’s nothing better than a hug for me. I hugged Mike a lot!

          

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 28
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Quote

Eli and Avi Bau.

So are they going to be Chet’s bodyguards?  ;-)

 

Families are very messy. There are often people in them you’d rather avoid, but are connected to others you like! And you’re kind of stuck with them, you can’t really pick and choose! And religion only exasperates the problems.  ;-)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

So are they going to be Chet’s bodyguards?  ;-)

Yep!  :P

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, R. Eric said:

Yep!  :P

It’d be believable if they were ex-IDF since military service is mandatory for all Jewish Israelis, but don’t tell me they’re ex-Mossad…  ;-)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Mike is being very mature in this understanding that the grandparents do have rights of visitation.  Now if only they weren’t sanctimonious homophobic asshats they could have more.  Chet is learning more and growing up in so many ways.  Loved grandpas Ray and Frank.  Christmas visit could get messy. 😈.  Can’t wait for more. Thanks. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I’m so glad you picked back up on this story! Great chapter! I love Chet’s innocence! Hate is such a learned thing. It’s sad. Thank you!

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Biding my comments here, but loving Amy! sure wish I had an Amy in my life. Well actually a Mike would be nice or even a Mark since he is free!! :2thumbs:  :boy:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..