Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,563 Words
  • 4,617 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia? Where The Hell Is That? Freshman Year - 12. Chapter 12

The two security men were young, in their early thirties. One, Karl, was as I had seen before in the United States, big. He was well over six feet and while he didn’t have the dark suit and glasses, everything about this blue-eyed bald man said security. I could see from the razor used to shave his head, he was losing his hair and just decided to get rid of all of it rather than have a comb-over. The other was Marko, sandy colored hair with his height just under six feet.

“Is there a nightclub or something we can go to?” I asked.

Karl nodded. “So, you want loud and to dance?”

Peter nodded. “I’ve never done it here, but…yes.”

Marko waved at an SUV. “We’ll have to drive there.” He said. “It’s not in Stryia…exactly.”

“Since you know where…you drive.” Peter said.

 

Once in the vehicle, they drove out that huge gate and we headed away from Stryia. We headed toward a range of mountains that shadowed the night sky. The road was well traveled and paved, arriving at the first parking lot I’d seen in Makarovia. Once we got out of the SUV, I heard the thump of bass rhythmically pounding. It didn’t matter what country or what nationality, there was one constant. People loved to dance. Looking around, I saw the scattered cars parked among the trees…parked wherever there was a spot. There was no building! And there was no line of people waiting to gain entrance with a man standing to let people in one or two at a time. There were people going in as they wanted to. There were lights to show the path that like the road we traveled and it was traveled by many people. The brightest light came from a gaping hole in the side of a mountain. A sign said “Grotto.” The entrance was wide, and the path was dirt, but gradually declined as we went in where the sound was even louder mixed with voices talking and laughter. It was what the name said. A grotto or cavern. The flashing lights and strobes were dancing as lively as the many dancing. There was a dance floor that was laid down and there were the bars on the edge of it serving drinks to many visiting and talking.

A man was suddenly rushing over. He was in his late forties and balding, but he was smiling at us.

“Prince Petro!” He said happily. “We’ve never seen you here!”

Peter smiled. “You never saw me here, because I didn’t know you were here.” He smiled at the happy faces of men and women dancing. Couples of male and female, couples consisting of two males and couples that were two females…no one cared!

The man nodded holding his hand out. “I’m Dan.” He gave a happy shrug and nod. “Danilo, really.” He waved back at the crowd. “Welcome to the Grotto.” Then we noticed another man, older than Dan come over in his fifties. “Dimitri! Look who's here!!” He said excitedly.

Dimitri was a good-sized man, not just height wise, he liked to eat! Not fat, but a few pounds he didn’t need. “Welcome, Prince Petro!” He said sticking his hand out to Peter. “My husband and I are so happy you’ve come.” He put his arm around Dan.

Peter nodded and put his arm around me. “And this is…”

“Oh, we know who you two are!” Dan instantly said happily. “All of Makarovia knows you both!” He waved behind him a giant screen set up. “We had quite a turn out that night, we all saw that interview.”

I chuckled. “I suppose they did.” I nodded.

Peter smiled. “And I prefer Peter, okay?”

“Do you own this?” I smiled waving at the Grotto.

“Sure!” Dan nodded. “There are two others that aren’t here right now, but Dimitri started it in…” he looked at his husband, “…what year was that? 1995 or 96?”

“The summer of 1995.” Dimitri nodded. “I was a lot younger then.” He chuckled rubbing his greying head of hair.

“He came from Russia after the Soviets broke up and…” Dan waved at the Grotto. “He couldn’t build a place like this in town…too much noise, but he saw this cavern and…three years later it began to go crazy. Everyone’s welcome here!”

I was just as bad as others. I was pleased to see another couple comprised of two men but still surprised. And say what you will, no, it’s not fair, but…lesbians were not held accountable as gay men were during World War II! Gay men were the most imprisoned in the concentration camps. There were couples here that were lesbian, but male couples outnumbered them. Sorry. Don’t misunderstand, there were plenty of heterosexual couples, but they didn’t think anything about the other couples. They came and danced with everyone else.

Then we heard very loud laughter and someone calling someone else “you fucking asshole,” clearly in English followed by hearty laughter.

Looking there was a group of about five, three guys and two girls who were young, probably just out of high school. Were they old enough to even drink? The law for the military was they could on base at seventeen. The reasoning there was they were willing to put their lives on the line and die for their country, so why not? I doubted anyone of these five even had that cross their minds. All were wearing jeans and shirts as it was warmer but would get cooler as the night came on. The cavern kept its temperature mostly and with all these sweating bodies, it would be warm. These five were military.

“Beware,” I said to Dan, Dimitri and Peter. “The Americans are here,” I said not sure how this mixture would work.

“Beer,” Dan said sourly in distaste. “That’s what they drink…with chasers. No ales or stouts, just Busch or Michelob…something.”

I grinned and slapped Dan on the arm. “And just think!” I said brightly. “Soon there will be even more of them! Though the British like theirs without it being cold.”

Peter watched as the group was kidding each other and laughing. “What about security? They are surely getting drunk!”

Dan grinned and pointed to the cavern wall. “They bring their own.”

At the entrance off to the side and around, there were military uniforms. The letters MP on the sleeves.

“Military Police.” I nodded. “That’s smart of them.”

Dimitri shook his head. “No. I insisted they bring those. I’m not dealing with any drunken brawls here. This a place for everyone…everyone’s welcome.” He jutted his head toward the military members. “Including them; good behavior is a requirement.”

Dan smiled. “Are you sure you’re American?” He asked. “You have no accent!” He marveled.

Laughing back. “I am, but I’ve spoken Makarovian for almost a year now. Ukrainian all my life. I should hope I don’t have an accent now.”

Peter was looking around at everyone here. “I never knew this was here.” He said amazed.

I nodded. “Well, now you do.” I smiled as the song was one of those electronic never-ending beats and just morphed to the next song. “Let’s go, Twinkletoes!”

We danced several dances, but there was one problem. Most everyone there from Makarovia knew who Peter and I were and came over to speak. After about four hours, I saw Peter yawn.

“Okay, Peter.” I grinned pulling him to me kissing him on the way up. “Bedtime.”

Peter smiled. “Okay.” He nodded and we left to go back to the castle.

On the way home, Peter told me some more. “There is fifteen to sixteen years difference between Olek and me.”

“That may be why you get along so well.”

Peter nodded with a smile. “He was a great brother.” He smiled at me. “A big brother. Then when Dad died, he was thrust into being king and…” he shrugged, “he didn’t forget me. In many ways, he became my father after Dad died. I remember Dad, but not really that well. He’s more of a face occasionally and feelings. Olek is the one I remember being there.” He frowned. “Up until five or ten years ago; then he was gone a lot.” He shrugged a nod. “I don’t blame him for that…but, I wish he’d been there more.”

I nodded. “You don’t blame him, but do you understand why he was gone?”

Peter chuckled. “Not at first, I didn’t understand, but after I saw what was happening, I did.” He looked at me. “Mom told me that our father was just like Olek is now. Driven. Dad was only a few years older than Olek is now.” He frowned. “Dad died of a heart attack; most likely brought on by stress. I can’t let that happen to Olek.”

“Then, you and I are going to make damned sure he goes and relaxes.” I smiled. “What about this Yvonne?”

Peter nodded. “They met in Switzerland while he was in college. She was the daughter of a very rich banker and from Luxembourg.” He smiled. “You know where…”

I gave him a look through lowered eyes. “I hate math, but I know Geography. I know where that is.”

Peter chuckled. “Okay, sorry.” He smiled. “They were, I thought…heading toward a wedding, but this uranium thing came up and…” he shrugged helplessly.

I nodded. “He did sacrifice a lot.” But I heard Peter’s fear about losing Olek like he had his father.

Peter nodded. “He did. That’s why I won’t let him down. I don’t want to let Makarovia down, but I can’t let Olek down most of all.”

“I agree, you can’t,” I said. You and I won’t let him down.”

 

We got back and went to our bedroom. I emailed my grandmother to let her know what was happening and I turn around sensing Peter nearby. Turning, I grinned at the very naked Peter standing at the doorway between the bedroom and living area. The dim light and his naturally pale skin and that black, black hair…sent chills through me.

“I’m a little cold,” Peter said smiling. “Care to warm me up?”

“Practically every moment of the day, baby.” I chuckled getting up and pulled my t-shirt off and got rid of the pajama bottoms and tackled him onto the bed.

 

Peter was becoming more…free with himself. What he’d experienced had an effect on him, which he was now recovering. As I said before, sex was always good with Peter and occasionally mind-blowing. That night was done in love again. No explosions of sensation, but warm and connecting in love.

 

It was Saturday morning, the day before we were taking Olek where he chose to go. We come in for breakfast to find Olek sitting talking on the phone; which, when he saw us, told whomever he’d call back and hung up. He looked showered, but I wondered when he got up.

“You had a nice night.” He stated grinning as he slid one of those tablet computer thingys over to us. He tapped the screen. “See?”

Peter and I looked at the screen. There we were in the Grotto dancing our butts off. This image, of course, had the music and us actually dancing. A recording.

“How…when….who…” Peter sputtered.

“You left off what and why.” I grinned at Peter and looked at the screen.

“Becky, Daryl and Kenny were there, too.” Olek smiled. “Didn’t you see them?”

“No!” Peter shook his head.

I nodded. “Then we got the right people for the job.”

Peter agreed with a smile but looked at his brother. “So, where are we going?” He asked Peter.

Olek sighed. “I really can’t…”

Peter now was a little angry. “Olek!!” Making his brother’s eyes widen. “You are going to kill yourself, just like Dad did. You can and will!” He shouted nearly shouted and then sighed. “I’m sorry.” He said to Olek. “I’m not…” he thought, “well, yes, I am mad at you.” He nodded. “If you can’t see how important you are, not to just Makarovia, but to me…!”

Olek smiled and nodded. “Okay. There is a place on the Italian Riviera we can go to. I haven’t been there in a while, but it’s nice.”

“Sure.” Peter nodded. “They need contacting if we come. What’s the name of the place?”

“There is the Excelsior Hotel in Rapallo. It’s on the water.” Olek said as his phone rang. “Excuse me.”

“He’ll never relax with that thing,” Peter muttered to me.

Queen Alla came in. “Has he decided?” She asked sitting at the table as Olek walked off to talk on the phone.

“Excelsior on Rapallo?” Peter asked.

Queen Alla nodded. “Which he knows is booked right now. It’s the beginning of Summer!” She smiled shaking her head. “Your brother’s not stupid.” She grinned, “But, neither am I. I know what he’s up to, strategizing that he can’t go because there’s no availability. I had a backup plan, you’ll be leaving in the morning.” She waggled her eyebrows. “Just you boys help him pack. Make sure he packs his swimming trunks…” she shrugged, “…or not. Where I’m sending you, you don’t necessarily need one. I want him to be tan when you get back. Bring sunscreen.”

I grinned at Peter. “Lots of sunscreen.” I looked at his pale skin.

Peter rolled his eyes. “Do you see a lot of sun here? When there is sun, it’s usually too cold to go uncovered!”

“Apparently, that won’t be a problem where we’re going.” I smiled.

 

Peter and I did our packing and were ready to go in the morning. Then we went to check on Olek. Peter walked down the corridor to another set of doors and knocked. It was late afternoon, so I wondered if Olek was even in his room. It just took a minute and the door opened and Olek was again, talking on the phone. His eyes widened seeing us.

“Finish your call,” Peter instructed and walked past him into Olek’s room. Olek’s room was pretty much the same as Peter’s…only he had a slightly bigger computer…no, make that two computers. Both on and displayed different things I knew were about Makarovia. “Where're your suitcases?” He asked Olek, but walked in more.

Olek finished his phone call and looked at both Peter and me. “The hotel has no vacancies. We can’t go.”

Peter smiled still looking for the suitcases. “Yes, Mom thought of that.” He bounced. “You’re going.” He looked around. “The suitcases?”

Olek’s face sort of turned…not into a frown, but he knew he’d been outwitted. “Over there.” He said annoyed as he pointed across the room in the corner. And his phone rang again!

Peter went to the corner and picked up a suitcase. “And not packed.” He nodded. “Let’s get busy, Eric.”

Peter and I started going through Olek’s clothes. Most of what he had were suits and dress shirts. We had to look to find more casual clothes. Short sleeved shirts and shorts were hard to find. Casual shoes? We couldn’t find them. The need for sunscreen needed told me it was a beach, so he could go barefoot…or we got them when we get there…wherever that was going to be.

Finally, we had him packed, the whole time he was on the phone and then sitting at the computer and talking on the phone. When that was done, he hung up and looked at us. “It’s almost dinner time.”

Peter nodded. “So, let’s go.” He said helping his brother to his feet and pushed him gently out the door.

At the dinner table, Queen Alla asked about the upcoming meetings he had scheduled that had been rescheduled. Olek wasn’t too happy about leaving, but he was getting the idea he had no choice. After eating he got up after excusing himself and went back to his rooms.

Peter watched his brother leave and shook his head. “He’s so attached to that phone.”

Queen Alla nodded. “I’ve taken care of that, too.” She smiled. “We just need to get him on that plane.” She looked at me.

Olek was just seeing what he needed do, not what he was doing to Peter and Queen Alla.

“I can talk to him?” I suggested hesitantly. “What’s worse is he throws me out of Makarovia.”

Peter chuckled. “He won’t do that.”

I gave Peter the look that asked, are you sure?

 

I walked up to Olek’s room and knocked softly.

“What?” Olek asked slightly bothered before even seeing me. His eyes widened a little seeing it was only me. “Oh, I thought…well…” He sounded very irritated. “I’m going,” Olek said stepping away from the door but didn’t close it. “Alright?”

I looked at him and pointed to the floor. “May I?” Olek just nodded but didn’t look at me. “Okay.” I nodded coming in. “Now, I’ll ask you as I did before about why you’re doing what you’ve done. So, you’re going. Why?”

Olek shook his head. “Because everyone insists I go.”

“Why do they insist that?”

“Because they think I can’t handle the pressure.” Olek groused.

“But you know you can.” I reasoned.

“I have to,” he said and I heard the stress in his voice, “who else would do this?” Olek asked.

“Well, Peter may have to,” I said hoping he’d see that.

“Peter?” Olek looked puzzled.

“Again, I’m probably way out of line, so I’m sorry for what I’m going to say,” I said. “But, Peter is scared and so is Queen Alla.” I saw his eyes widen. “Peter lost his father and told his father died, I’m told because he was stressed and driven. As you are now. You mean so much to Peter. When your father died. Peter told me you were here, with him and he not only saw you as his big brother but a father as well. He…loves…you.” I said each word pointing at Olek. “If you follow the same path as your father did, he’s scared you will die, too.” I shrugged. “No one should be forced to go on vacation. No one should be coerced to take it easy for a week, but you are making them do that. Peter will have to take the throne if you die. Is he ready? Did anyone ask you when your father died if he thought you were ready, did you think you were ready?”

Olek was listening. His face got less defensive.

“Peter is a smart man and I know he can do it, but he might not think he can. Your stepmother helped you and I will help Peter, but Queen Alla knew what is needed to rule from being at your father’s side while he was king. I don’t!” He was now looking away, but he was listening. “You have done a job that…no president could ever do. You have taken a resource and gotten people to help you…not only get this uranium out but to protect Makarovia while doing it. That’s incredible! I don’t know of anyone that could do it half as well as you did, but you did it.” I smiled. “Now, if for no other reason than to make Peter feel better…to make Queen Alla feel better…they want you to take a week and calm down, relax…live!” I shrugged. “Because they want you around! Is it too much to ask that you take a week and do that to make them feel better?” I waved out the little window. “You have got millions of people depending on you, I know, but you’ve done a DAMNED good job. Everyone loves you, but Peter loves you the most!”

Olek dropped his head a little, he got it this time and sighed. “I guess I just didn’t see that.”

I smiled. “And I want you around. I’m liking you more and more each day! My family’s gone except my grandmother. Now I have a new family and I’ll be damned if I let you go. I love you, Olek!”

Olek chuckled. “Yes, I’m loving you, too.” He came over and hugged me in one of holding embraces he only gave Peter and now me. “Too bad you’re not female; I’d try to steal you from Peter.”

I shook my head. “Well, it’s a good thing I’m not. If I had been, Peter and I wouldn’t have fallen in love and you and I wouldn’t be having this lovely conversation. Besides, I love that Ivanov man way too much.”

Olek chuckled. “I saw that the first day I met you.”

“Did Peter tell you? I am taking his name?”

Olek’s eyes widened, but he smiled. “You are?”

“I have no children to pass it down to and I told Peter, I want to be as much a part of him as possible. Taking the name just made sense.” I looked at Olek. “Do you mind?”

Olek was smiling as he shook his head. “I think our father would be proud to have you in the family. Prince Eric Ivanov of Makarovia.” He nodded. “It has a ring to it!”

“Do we go back and tell Peter and Queen Alla you’ll go willingly and gladly?”

Olek nodded. “Let’s go.” He grinned and hugged me again. “You’re a good, good man, I’m proud you’re my brother.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 48
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The nightclub experience went as I expected it to. The grotto location was a pleasant surprise and unique. Music would be very loud bouncing off those stone walls.

 

Eric is a very persuasive person. He saw the correct tack to take with Olek on the vacation. Where has Alla chosen to send them? I'm trying to think of clothing optional resorts.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

You love your caverns. And you love your private island in the Caribbean! I think Mitch has another market for the DelKenzie translation software, too!

 

We already know that the paparazzi love taking long telephoto lens shots of naked celebrities in the Mediterranean. Nude photos of a King, a Prince, and the Prince’s fiancé would be extremely valuable! It’s better to avoid those potentially embarrassing pictures all together by going somewhere where the paparazzi can’t go.

Link to comment

I really like where the guards took Peter and Eric. They were taken to a club of sorts, it turned out to be a grotto that was carved out of the side of a mountain. They saw couples dancing, they were heterosexual, gay & lesbian. No one cared about the gay or lesbian couples everyone wanted the same thing to go out do some dancing then go home. I'm glad that Eric went to talk to Olek and was able to convince him to take the time off before he wound up passing away at a young age like their father did due to stress and fatigue. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I hope that Olek is serious about taking the week off to just relax instead of doing what Peter doesn’t want to happen. Peters worried that if Olek continues to push himself at the rate he’s going he might not be around to see Eric and Peter get married nor would he have any idea of what his country is like with him gone. Sure the uranium would still be mined and the country would benefit from it, but maybe not as well as if Olek had been around to make sure things were done the way they should be, (hypothetically speaking). I’m glad that Eric went to speak to Olek about the reason that Peter and Alla were so insistent about him going away for at least a week, Eric explained to Olek that Peter is afraid Olek is just as driven as their father and he doesn’t want anything to happen to Olek. Not only does Peter not want Olek to die but he’s not ready to be king yet because he’s not finished with his degree he’s working on at Northeastern University so that he can help his country as well, he’s done hiding now that he’s got Eric beside him keeping him grounded and focused. I think the ideas that both Peter and Eric have are going to be good for Makarovia. Eric is giving it a lot of time to help make sure his new home is going to flourish and grow. Thanks for another great chapter.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Eric really told it to him straight. Olek should maybe see an american doctor and have some tests run to make sure the motor is running good lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..