Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 6,905 Words
  • 6,518 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia? Where The Hell Is That? Freshman Year - 3. Chapter 3

This was a different life for me. I got the feeling it was in a lot of ways different for Peter. He didn’t act like he was ready to be so…out there. Not about being gay or our relationship, but politically. That focus, more than our relationship, was playing on his mind. I could tell. We went down to dinner, which was delicious. Boris was a fine cook. I understood why Peter didn’t cook well. He didn’t have to. Then we went upstairs again and got ready for bed. Peter came out of the bathroom and sat on the side of the bed with a sigh.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

Peter was thinking about something and it seemed I interrupted what he was thinking. “What?” Then he nodded. “Oh, yes. Fine.”

I sat up and moved across the bed behind him, putting my arms around him from behind. “Okay,” I said lightly. “We’re going to set some rules,” I said kissing his neck.

Peter looked back at me with raised eyebrows. “Rules?”

I nodded and kissed him gently. “The only real rule for us…when you see something about me…when I see something in you; if I ask are you okay, I want to know what’s on your mind. I can tell there is something. I don’t pry. I won’t drag it out of you, but be honest. If you can’t talk about it, tell me that. Don’t just say you’re fine or something. Talk to me.”

Peter grinned as he turned to see me more directly. “A very good rule.” He nodded. “Okay, I’m just feeling a little…uncertain. You said it yourself. This dinner is a big deal.” He sighed. “There are some important things about to happen for Makarovia; things that will change the way Makarovia is seen by the world…many who don’t even know who we are.”

I nodded. “What are you feeling about that?”

“Nervous.” Peter chuckled. “Getting an education in the West for me was more than getting the universities’ education. My country is stepping out of the shadows and will be seen…more than it has, but a few times in history. I needed to be educated more about how to interact with people. I was preparing to be able to blend in better.” He chuckled again. “You saw me when I first arrived. I wasn’t ready.” He leaned in kissing me gently. “You really helped me there. I just want to be…someone that doesn’t detract from what my mother and brother are trying to do.” He shrugged. “That’s why I’m nervous.”

I pulled him back on the bed. “Now, that wasn’t hard to tell me, was it?” I smiled. “Just know…I’ll be there. Whatever you need. I’m there for you.”

Peter smiled as his grey-green eyes held emotion. “I’m falling in love with you.”

I shook my head. “I’m sorry.” I frowned. “I’m afraid I can’t say that to you anymore,” I said straddling his middle and raised his arms above his head, dipping my nose in the black hairs of his armpit. He didn't mind. It still could tickle, so I was careful.

His face got a puzzled look.

“I’m no longer falling love, Peter,” I said kissing him. “I’m there already. I love you, Peter. Now, it’s just getting stronger.”

Now, I saw his eyes get softer and he nodded. “I love you, too.” He said kissing me. “We’ll get married, you know?”

I had not expected that. Not yet. I sat up quickly. “We haven’t…”

“I’m not asking you yet,” Peter said carefully. “We’ve known each other several weeks, I know what I want with you. This is nice here, but…you may not be ready to say yes. I don’t want to be your boyfriend or even your life partner, but I would like you in my life. I want you as my husband. I want to be your husband.” He gave a shrug as he looked around the room we were in. “I’d like it to be in a more…romantic setting. More appropriate.”

Okay. I was just told by a prince…a real prince he loved me and was planning to ask to marry me? Could I do that? It didn’t even take a second before I smiled. “When you’re ready to ask me; I know the answer will be yes.” I leaned in kissing him deeply. Then looking in his grey-green eyes. “I love you.”

We did have a relationship. We made love. It was always wonderful. When the morning came, we got up and were taken to a small airport.

A plane was sent up to Boston for Peter to take him to Washington. We had no waiting. We flew to this private airport in Virginia and was taken to a hotel near the White House. I was a little nervous about meeting all these important people. His brother Olek was a king, and his mother, though a dowager queen was still very much a queen. Don’t forget I was meeting the President of the United States.

Peter wouldn’t necessarily know this, but our President was Republican. I’m not saying that was bad, but…well…Peter and I…others that were gay, weren’t always welcome or treated well by people and most often, they were Republicans. There was the Log Cabin Republicans; gay people that were Republican? They wanted to change people’s minds. I don’t know. I wasn’t a Republican. I bring that up because I knew for a fact the man that was Vice-President had taken a strong stance against us. He hadn’t wanted to grant us the right to have a real “marriage” when he was in Congress. The people of the United States said we were to be allowed to marry. His opinion didn’t matter.

I had another issue. I didn’t really know about Makarovia. I did more searches on the web. The little country was in the mountains; that much I knew. They had a long history going back more than a thousand years. It had been fought over and taken over by several countries. Russia was the last power to have control. Ukraine was one…even Romania had it once or twice. The capital city was Stryia. Again, it was not a big country and very mountainous. What they had were metals. They had a lot of iron; which was their main export. There were valleys in Makarovia and Stryia was in one of those valleys by a river. It had a few farms, so importing food and other things to support the population was constant. Being that dependent for basic necessities made it easier for other powers to take control. The population had grown since the end of World War II. Before then, they had maybe a few hundred thousand scattered around Makarovia. Now they had almost two million people! I frowned at that. The pressure for King Olek and Queen Alla had to be enormous. I was feeling less angry at them for not seeing Peter’s misery. They had been very busy.

It was on the flight that Peter looked over at my laptop as I read. He smiled at me.

“You’re researching Makarovia?”

I looked back at him. “I have to,” I said simply. “I will be there with you as you and your brother and mother are talking with some people to help Makarovia with their situation. I need to know about the country you came from. How can I talk with any knowledge about a country I really didn’t know about before I met you?”

Peter chuckled. “That’s a good idea.” He leaned in a kissed me.

God! He was good at that. “I came to Northeastern to learn how to make industry and things…green.”

“Green?” Peter asked. “The color green?”

I chuckled as somethings didn’t translate easily. “Well, yes; green as in the color of leaves and keeping those leaves green. The environment. Green, understand?” I said as he nodded got it. “What I’m finding interesting is the dependence Makarovia has for food and things like that. It made Makarovia vulnerable.”

Peter nodded. “There’s not a lot of fertile lands to plant on.” He said logically.

I nodded and raised a finger. “Yes, but there could be.”

I watched Peter’s eyes widen.

“Take the Aztecs.” I began. “Or any mountainous community as in Asia, they would plant on tiers or terraces,” I said. “Shelves that were constructed, fertile soil would be brought in and contained. There would be more land to plant crops. It’s not a new idea, but it works.”

Peter grinned. “There is still the environmental issues such as the cold weather to deal with.”

I nodded again. “I looked it up. There is a period that most of the crops are planted and harvested in Makarovia. It can be done.” I shrugged. “It would take some construction and work, but very possible. You would be less dependent on imports, making you more independent.”

Peter smiled even bigger. “It would.” He nodded.

“With the influx of money now, it would be even more possible,” I said.

“You’re taking this very seriously.” Peter smiled, impressed.

“Of course, I am,” I said. “I’m involved in your life. You all but asked me to marry you.” I waved at the computer. “This is a huge part of that a life I have with you, therefore, I’m involved with Makarovia. When we do marry, I’ll become Makarovian.” I nodded as I read more. “Improved farming, medical services, business…many of the other things will be done. It has to.”

Peter nodded. “You’re right.”

 

When we landed, we were taken to a hotel where we were given a suite. Washington and all around it was not cheap. The idea of getting something so important to the United States and the world; staying here made sense. It was secure, that was the most important part. King Olek and Queen Alla would be arriving just before the dinner at the White House. I finished getting dressed while Peter was putting the finishing touches on what he was wearing. He looked too good, I almost didn’t want to go and stay here with him and undress him. Later, I told myself.

There was a knock on the door. Peter was in the bedroom putting his tie on, so I rose and answered the door. The man on the other side looked surprised at seeing me answer.

“I apologize.” He said with a slight look of confusion as he looked at the door and number. “They must have told me the wrong room. This isn’t Petro Ivanov’s room?”

I recognized him from the photo I’d seen, even if it was ten years old he looked the same. His English was accented. Well dressed in the tuxedo and the red sash across his chest and the medallion with the royal crest hung around his neck. I bowed and said in Makarovian. “No, this is Peter’s room, Your Majesty.”

His eyebrows rose. “You speak Makarovian?” He said surprised.

Didn’t Peter and his brother talk? “I do,” I said waving him in. “Peter’s finishing getting ready.”

“But you have almost no accent.” King Olek marveled. “Where are you from?”

“Charleston, South Carolina actually,” I replied. “America.”

Peter came into the room and smiled. “Olek.” He walked up and hugged his brother. “How are you?” There might have been problems with the family, but what I saw was genuine affection, from Peter and King Olek.

The king was indeed a very handsome man about forty; the dark beard only added that touch of elder statesman to his appearance making him more distinguished. “Peter!” Then he said holding his brother back but didn’t let him go. “My God! You’re acne! It’s gone!”

Peter actually blushed. “Yeah, well…a friend told me there were some good medical schools in Boston. I went and this is what happened. I wanted it to be a surprise.” He grinned. “Surprise!”

Olek looked astounded at his brother’s face as he ran a hand over his face. Then he turned to me. “King Olek Ivanov.” He did the formal sharp little bow most Europeans did. He even did the little heel click as he did.

I grinned. “I certainly know who you are, Sire. Though I have to say, that picture on the internet is a little dated. You’re much better looking now than you were then. You should have that updated.”

The king gave a hearty laugh at that. “We do need to update that. We’ll have to now.” Then he put a brotherly arm on Peter’s arm. “We will need to, if for no other reason…my brother was always handsome, but now?” He stroked and kissed his brother’s unblemished cheek. “He’s very handsome.” He looked at me. “Do we have you to thank for that?” Olek asked.

“You do,” Peter answered for me smiling. “Eric is the man who is…” he smiled at Olek, “my date tonight.”

Olek smiled at hearing that and looked delightfully amazed. Then he looked around the suite. “Okay, where’s my brother? You look like him, sort of, the blemishes are gone and you don’t act like him. A date? That’s wonderful!” And he sounded as if he really meant it. “So tell me, Eric. How is it a boy from America’s South speaks Makarovian? With no real accent?”

“I was taught Ukrainian by my mother and grandmother. My grandmother was raised in Kiev. Makarovian is not too different from Ukrainian. I speak it all the time with Peter.” I said. “I was assigned Peter as my partner for a project we have due at the end of the semester. That professor saw I spoke Russian and Ukrainian, I was assigned to make it easier for Peter. It was pretty easy to switch to Makarovian after I heard it a while.”

Peter nodded. “His grandmother was a dancer with the Bolshoi.”

I held up a finger. “No. She was the Premier Ballerina.” I corrected. “A star.”

Peter nodded chuckling. “Sorry.”

Olek’s eyebrows rose. “Really?”

“And she was the Premier Ballerina at the New City Ballet a number of years.” I nodded.

There was another knock at the door. Only King Olek was closest and he answered the door. I have to say, Peter’s mother was beautiful! No, that’s not right. She was stunning! Queen Alla was thin and blonde hair coming down in soft waves over her perfect skin and piercing green eyes. The gold gown glittered as did the little gold tiara on her head. She looked regal. She had a figure men drooled for. Well…most men.

“Is Peter ready?” She asked Olek. “The limo…” she stopped seeing her son. “Peter!?” Then she walked over to her son, turning his head to see his face better. “What on…it’s gone!”

“Hi, Mom. Surprise.” Peter smiled. “Yes, it’s gone. Thank to Western Medicine.” Then he grinned. “Don’t I get a hug?”

She caught herself. “What? Oh, of course! Honey! This is wonderful!!” She hugged her son.

“And this…!” King Olek said directing her eyes to me, “is his date who convinced him to go to the doctor here.”

She looked at me with eyes that grew wider and then looked at Olek. “Date?” Then back at her son. “You have a date!?” Her tone told me she was delighted to hear that. No, neither his mother or brother had a problem with us being on a date; delighted and surprised, but there was no problem.

“Not only that, but he found someone, an American that speaks Makarovian as well as a native,” Olek said incredibly. “Queen Alla, this is Peter’s date. Eric Richards.” He waved to me. I was introduced by the king to the queen!

The queen’s face showed no objection. There were no signs that my coming with Peter was a problem, but liked the idea. I was beginning to see that they really did love Peter. Maybe they weren’t so oblivious to Peter’s problem in the past.

“Mr. Richards.” She said holding her hand out to me. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. I can’t wait to hear how you charmed my son.” She smiled. “But unfortunately, there is a car waiting to take us to the White House. We can’t have the President waiting.”

“You’re Majesty.” I bowed, kissing the back of her hand as I was taught.

Then she looked again at her son. “How handsome you are.” She ran her hand over his tux. “We could be looking at a new Petro.”

Peter nearly blushed again. “I’m still the same Peter, Mom.”

She shook her head. “No. You’re better.” She kissed him on the cheek.

Of course, I noted that neither the king or queen had escorts other than a few guards. I wondered if…no, they didn’t seem like anything but family…their familiarity with each other gave no indication other than they were friends. Only Peter had the date, which they were not ready for.

Olek and Peter walked a little ways behind the queen and me as they talked, but Queen Alla put her hand in my arm. This was a very familiar thing to do. There were things like…never turning you back and never touch a royal person, which a former First Lady did with Queen Elizabeth, but Queen Alla did it to me. I was surprised, but not bothered.

“Understand.” She said softly to me. “It is truly remarkable how Peter has changed, Eric. Not only in appearance, but just his whole personality has changed. He seems more confident.” She looked back at her son.

I nodded. “He has,” I answered. “When I first met him, he was so shy, if the professor hadn’t assigned the project and me to be his partner, I doubt we would have even met.”

She smiled and chuckled a little. “It’s hard to imagine, the acne he had would prove to be such a hindrance to his confidence. I tried everything I could to help him, but he refused to be with people. He saw what he had as an obstacle. He had such a hard time at a very crucial time in life.”

I nodded. “I think it was. He was a puzzle to me. He had the manners and knowledge to fit in, but didn’t really use that.”

“When he said he wanted a Western Education, I was thrilled, but also terrified.” The queen told me. “How could he mix with others of other cultures if he couldn’t mix with people in his own culture? I tried talking to him, even bringing a psychologist to see him. Nothing worked!”

“Perhaps that was the key,” I suggested. “We were so different, he felt he had a chance.”

She smiled. “I bet you had to work on him.”

I nodded chuckling. “It was only because of the assignment he had to talk to me and I couldn’t give up. I finally got him to laugh.”

The queen smiled. “And to find someone that speaks the language as fluently as you do. It had to be fate.”

“But he lacks the confidence in situations like this,” I said. “He wants to be a part of improving things for Makarovia. He’s afraid he’ll embarrass not only Makarovia, but you two.”

“I know.” She bowed sadly. “But, with you helping him, perhaps he’ll see that will be avoided. While Olek and I are here in a more statesmen fashion. He feels he’s here as just a member of the family; an unneeded person. You will get him to see he’s not.”

“I’m working on it.” I nodded. “I’ll do my best.”

She stopped and looked at me. “He loves you, I can tell.”

I nodded. “He does. I love him.”

“So, this is more than just a date with a boyfriend?” She asked, but held her hand up. “Not that I’m asking, but…you are more than a boyfriend.”

“Yes.”

She gave a look to the ceiling, more as a thank you to God Himself. “I am so thrilled!” She said and…another breech. She hugged me!

 

Now, I will admit, being at the White House was exciting. I was meeting the President and her husband! That was something I never dreamed I would be doing. The negotiations had been done. This was more of a meeting to get everyone in the room on the same page. There was going to be a joint base on Makarovian soil; for the United States, Great Brittan and a limited amount of other countries. It was almost a United Nations for Makarovia. The UN was not someone who would interfere if another nation wanted to take over Makarovia. Having these forces in place would cause other countries to think again if they didn’t want to piss off the United States, Great Brittan or the other assorted countries having their military there. Russia had wanted to be included, but let’s just say, Russia’s history had proven itself not a trustworthy as some. The USSR had been in control once. Their presence wouldn’t be that positive for the people of Makarovia. Especially in light of what they did with Ukraine. And NATO!? Forget it.

I was impressed that the king and queen of Makarovia did not show surprise that Peter’s choice of a date had bothered them. I wish I could say the same for the others. Our President at this time was a Republican, but she started off as a Democrat and still had some of those views, so there was almost no reaction when I was presented to her. However, when she realized I was American; that did surprise her. The Vice President’s eyes narrowed when we were introduced, but he kept his mouth shut. The British did react with surprise, but I let it go, because what could they do? If they were to get anything from Makarovia they couldn’t object to who Peter had brought as King Olek and Queen Alla was proud of Peter…and me! I noticed no TV cameras, but there were cameras, but none really focused on Peter or me. It was a good meal! It sort of had to be, this was the White House! It went well! I watched as King Olek and Queen Alla were charming all those at our table. Occasionally, I would see Peter begin to withdraw, but a simple touch…a squeeze of his hand and he came back with a smile to me. He also could be charming. His fear of making a fool of himself was done. I told him, I was there for him.

Both King Olek and Queen Alla smiled when I did support Peter that way. The Vice President frowned, which King Olek clearly saw. It was King Olek that brought it up, not Peter or me. Olek had stated that he wasn’t going to give his resource for making weapons. What he wanted was to provide what was needed to provide power for hospitals and industry. The King sat back as he looked at the Vice President.

“…I hope those in power realize our country is open and diverse.” King Olek said calmly. "Anyone that wanted to stay in Makarovia was welcome to do that. The Hebrew people after World War II…most went back…we don’t turn our backs on people regardless of what religion they practice.” He then looked more directly at the Vice President. “That includes those of the human race that are homosexual.” He said pointedly. “To get something needed, acceptance is sometimes necessary.”

The Vice President was embarrassed but cleared his throat. “It’s just…there are people here that see homosexuals as unnatural.” He said what he’d said in the past about us when he was in Congress.

Queen Alla smiled. “Really?” She said. “Whether you believe it is or isn’t is irrelevant. It is. I challenge those who think that way to look around. The number of people that don’t seem to worry about gender being the reason to love is huge. Their numbers are in the millions worldwide.”

“I dare say in the hundreds of millions.” King Olek said. “If there were just a few homosexuals scattered about, I might agree, but millions!?”

Queen Alla nodded. “Whether you believe God created man or nature itself. I say the sheer number of them would tell those people it is very natural.” Queen Alla said pointedly to the Vice President.

I was smiling even bigger but didn’t look at the Vice President. The fact that both King Olek and Queen Alla supported Peter, me and the millions of gay people in the world; I now loved both of them.

The President looked at her Vice President. “Well, we all need to be more tolerant of others.” She knew there were millions of voters out there who would take a stand against her if she said otherwise. Then she guided the conversations elsewhere.

Peter leaned in and whispered. “I told you.” He said bumping his head gently to mine.

I smiled. “Yes, you did.”

We had a good dinner.

What I found out, both the king and queen had separate jobs. King Olek did the negotiating with foreign powers about trade and other things for Makarovia. Queen Alla was more about the people of Makarovia. The schools and hospital needs and more social things within Makarovia. They were both dedicated to Makarovia, but different aspects. They were friends, but I sensed nothing more. They had jobs to do.

After we got back to the hotel, King Olek and Queen Alla met with us before turning in.

“I’m glad you were here, Peter.” King Olek said to his brother. “You both were great assets for us.” He looked at me. “He chose wisely to include you tonight.” Then he put an arm over Peter’s shoulder. “I hope you see that you are a prince of Makarovia, but you’re my brother. I love you. I am so happy you found someone.” He looked at me. “We’ll meet again, I hope.”

Peter took my hand. “I hope so, too.” He looked at his brother. “I will tell you, I told him I would marry him. I haven’t officially asked…I will in the right setting, but I think he’ll be around a very long time. Tonight was to be sure he wanted to do this.”

“You know I will,” I said. “I’ll be glad to marry you.” I grinned. “You have to ask me, though.”

Queen Alla did her look to the ceiling again, let out a girly squeal and then she hugged her son. King Olek grinned and came over and hugged ME! Switching places, they hugged both of us.

“Then I say: welcome to the family.” King Olek said happily.

Yes, I loved them!

 

Then we went back to campus. Peter was blossoming but was still somewhat reserved with others. The idea of gays was not new to Boston or areas of the United States. Like King Olek and Queen Alla said at dinner, we were in the millions upon millions around the world. The South was not as tolerant as the bigger cities of the North, but even I had issues with being as open as Peter was with me. We often walked through campus and I smiled as he put his arm around me or would take my hand without even thinking about it. We were a couple. Why hide that?

The rest of the world had a long way to go to be as open and accepting as Makarovia. Peter was raised there and didn’t see it as a problem.

I had to talk to Carla, my landlord. Peter did feel better at my apartment. It was convenient location wise to the campus, but he pretty much moved in. We lived at the house he was using on the weekends. He hadn’t been kidding when he told me he liked the apartment and felt at home there.

I looked at my grandma’s friend and my landlord. “…so, should I pay more? He’s pretty well moved in.”

Carla smiled. “That apartment really is more for one.” She said knowing there was a romance going on. “I’ve seen him come and go. You’re both quiet, so there’s no problem.”

 

Peter and my joint Economics project got an A minus. Then Christmas came and I was to fly to Ashville to visit my grandmother. I wanted to take Peter to meet her, but there were issues if we did that. Yuri and Boris being one of those issues, mostly Yuri. Peter only had those two here from Makarovia on staff. Yuri was his security. Yuri was thinking he had to come with us.

“I have to keep him safe!” Yuri said again.

“He’ll be with me,” I told Yuri. “We’re going to fly commercially to Asheville. No one really knows who he is right now. We’ll be staying with my grandmother. He’ll be safe. Having armed security just calls attention.”

Yuri didn’t like it, but finally gave in; after he gave in, he warned me if Peter was hurt…I’d lose my head! He wasn’t joking. You know me and hugs, I hugged the man! He cared about Peter and not about his job.

 

Next, I had to tell grandma I was bringing someone with me. I called her.

“I’ll be arriving the 23rd,” I said. “I’d like to bring someone with me for you to meet.”

Grandma didn’t even think about it. “Sure.” Then I heard the humor in her voice. “I’m gathering this is someone important.”

“Yes, very,” I said. “I’ll tell you everything when we get there.”

 

Flying to Asheville was done, a car was rented and I drove us to the house where grandma lived.

“This is nice,” Peter said looking at the large Victoria home on the large lot, the house was surrounded by flowers. He looked at the surroundings and mountains. “It needs sharper mountains, but it’s nice.” He grinned.

I didn’t even have to ring the doorbell as we approached on the porch. Grandma opened the door with a big smile, glad to see me, but wanted to meet who I brought. I said grandma was seventy-two. She had been a ballerina most of her life. She was thin but showed little sign that was a problem as she still held herself straight and proud. Her hair was white now, but it was thick and done upon her head. She was a very beautiful woman. She came, hugging me tightly.

“Приємно бачити вас, дитина..” She said telling me it was good to see me in Ukrainian.

I nodded and said. “Це приємно бачити вас, теж, бабуся.” Telling her it was good to see her.

She looked up at Peter and smiled.

Then I switched to Makarovian. “This is Peter.” I waited for her to hear not only what I said, but what language I used. “He’s from Makarovia.”

Her eyes showed surprise, but not recognition. Yet.

“Peter Ivanov.” I finished said carefully. Like I did, the last name and where he was from told a lot.

“Oh?” She asked now more surprised. While most of the world, including me at first, didn’t know where Makarovia was, the people from East Europe did; especially in Ukraine. She looked at Peter carefully. “You’re…”

“Yes. He’s Prince Petro Ivanov. King Olek’s brother.”

Her eyes widened. “He is?”

I nodded. “It will probably come out eventually, about his dating someone male and an American.”

Grandma nodded. “I see.” She put her hand out to Peter who did…what they do. He bowed, took her hand and kissed it.

“It is an honor to meet you, Mrs. Sams,” Peter said.

Grandma smiled. “It’s an honor to meet you, Your Highness.” She bowed slightly and waved to the door. “I think we should go in. I need to sit down.”

Coming in, the house was like it always was to me; elegant and very tidy. Peter and I sat on the couch of her den and without thought, Peter took my hand. Grandma was not shocked, but…her face said she wasn’t expecting that.

She sat down slowly. Her mind going over what I’d said. “And you’ve considered all those ramifications if it does become serious?” She asked me and Peter. “I assume it’s more than just a fling.”

“I don’t do flings,” I growled. “You know that.”

You don’t.” She said and looked at Peter more directly.

“I don’t either,” Peter said.

I gave a shrugging nod. “This wasn’t what I planned for. I was going to get my degree first. I still intend to, but…”

“My grandson wants more.” She said to Peter, ignoring me.

“Something permanent,” Peter said with a nod. “So, do I.”

She nodded. “I mean permanent like marriage.”

“I’ve met his mother and brother,” I said, then smiled a little slyly. “It was so fast, I really didn’t have time to tell anyone, but I met his family when there was a dinner….at the White House.”

Grandmother looked more surprised. “You had dinner at the White House?”

I nodded. “I did. I met the President and the British Ambassador. The truth is; I know how he feels. I know he loves me, but…”

“My point is…” Grandmother said sitting forward a little more. “This will be an important step for you and Peter, if it happens. He may be in love with you. How do you feel?”

“I love him.”

She nodded. “You may see him as just a man. But he isn’t. I know he’s next in the line for the throne of a small kingdom, but it is a kingdom. You will face media scrutiny when this comes out. There’s never been a relationship like this. You tell me it’s not a fling and you love each other. Can your love handle it?”

I shrugged. “I hope so.”

“Know so before you do anything.” She cautioned.

Peter smiled. “We have talked about the future.” He said. “No one’s proposed yet, but…we both know this will be different for everyone. I don’t know what life with me will be.” He looked at me. “I do love him.” He looked at grandma. “I’m not letting him go.”

“I do love him.” I looked at Peter who smiled at me.

Grandma just looked a moment and just smiled, nodding. “I see that.” She rose and came to Peter who stood up. “Welcome, Peter.” She was about to hug him. “Can I hug you?”

Peter answered that question by hugging her. “Anytime.” He said. “Thanks for understanding.”

Grandma smiled and did what others did stroking his face gently. “Love is so important. Treat as what it is, something very valuable.”

We had a great time spending Christmas with my grandmother, but we had to go back to Boston.

 

The next few days were interesting. Peter and I didn’t hide that we were together and most people didn’t care. Not that we did anything much to see, but neither of us was concerned. Until…about midways through the Winter Semester, I saw a familiar figure walk toward me across the quad. We’d see each other around campus and we did talk. We even went to a few parties, but since Peter I got together, I didn’t go that often.

“Hi, Eric.” Ted Dawe greeted and nodded to Peter. “Peter.” His tone was telling me he was concerned about something.

“Hi, Ted.” I nodded.

“Can I talk to you?” Ted asked and looked pleading. “In private, please. Really, I need to show you something.”

Peter nodded and Ted and I walked away a little. He opened his laptop. “I was doing an assignment in my journalism class. Current events and all that shit.”

I almost knew what he’d found. It was just a matter of time.

“I was going through some footage about a dinner at the White House.” He cued up some footage. “And who do I see right behind the King of Makarovia, which I had to look up, by the way. And who do I see?” The image showed King Olek and Queen Alla well, but right behind them was an image of me and Peter clearly. “So I looked up some information about this king and his last name is Ivanov. He has a brother named Petro Ivanov. Peter is Prince Petro Ivanov, isn’t he?” He pointed at Peter. “Are you really from South Carolina? What’s going on?”

I took Ted’s arm and led him farther away. “Yes, I’m from South Carolina. I went to high school at James Island High School. I have a grandmother who is from Ukraine. That’s why I can speak his language.” I looked pleading at Ted. “Peter just wants to be Peter for now.”

Ted shook his head. “I don’t understand. He’s a fucking prince!” He said louder than he wanted attracting Peter’s attention, causing him to look curiously.

“Who right now is just a regular guy!” I said urgently.

“Your boyfriend is the prince of Makarovia!” Ted hissed. Then he shook his head. “I don’t know what’s going on, but it’s going to be found out. There are many others in my class and we’ve all got access to all these files. Someone is going to make a connection.” He closed his laptop. “I’m not here to say anything. Really, Peter made himself invisible on campus. What got my attention was you!” He pointed. “Here’s a guy I know, at the White House, having dinner with the President of the United States and other country’s political heads…this friend never mentioned he’d had fucking dinner with the President to anyone. Not only that, but Germany, French, and Great Britain’s Ambassadors were there so it must be big, whatever it was. Makarovia is a tiny country. Why?” He wasn’t mad but wanted to find out what was going on. He was a reporter, though.

I didn’t want to answer that. “I can’t answer that,” I said. “It’s not my answer to give.”

Ted nodded. “So there is something big going on and you were with King Olek. He knows you’re his brother’s boyfriend, so does Peter’s mother.”

“Again, I don’t want to say anything.”

“NSUNews will find this out!” Ted practically hissed telling me the university’s new paper would dig it out. “I’m not threatening you or Peter. I like you, but this is huge. It’s going to come out!”

I nodded. “Let me talk to Peter. Then he will decide whether to tell you or not.”

“Do it fast,” Ted warned and then he sighed. “I’m not trying to get a story, believe me. I want to be a sports newscaster. I don’t give a damn who is fucking who as long as it’s legal. As I said, I had to look Makarovia up! I mean, Makarovia? Where the hell is that? But something’s going on. Tell me, I’ll get it out respectfully. I swear.”

I nodded. “We’ll get back to you this afternoon.”

 

Back in our apartment, Peter was a little annoyed with what I told him. “He just wants a story.”

“Peter…he’s not that interested. He knows this will be coming out and he wants to warn us or give us the chance to tell what’s happening. He’s doing as a friend. He could have just printed what he has.” I defended. “But if he figured it out, others that are interested in a huge story will. So, it’s either Ted or just let it happen. You choose.”

He sighed. “We would have control.” He nodded. “Okay. We’ll tell them about me, and us.” He smiled. “But then they tell the world why we were at the White House and what Makarovia’s got. I can’t do that.”

I nodded. “I trust Ted to do as he said. This is going to be a big story in itself. A prince that’s gay isn’t new, but he admits it!?” I grinned. “We’ll be on the cover of Out and The Advocate the next day!” I chuckled. “I don’t think it will be that big a deal today. You’re next in line for the throne. Your brother had better get busy to create an heir.” I joked. “As hard as we try, neither of us is getting the other pregnant.”

Peter laughed. “You’ll tell him yourself when we go to Makarovia.” Then Peter grabbed me, hugging me.

“Me!? You want to me to go to Makarovia?”

Peter smiled. “You’re doing it again, repeating what I say. Would you come with me to Makarovia for the summer? We’ll be on break.” Peter asked. “You can see how pretty it can be. When we marry, it will be your home, too.”

“You need to ask me first,” I said making Peter chuckle and roll his eyes. My mind had worked on the possibility as the relationship developed. “Okay. I can visit the mines and see what’s planned for storage of the rods. I have some ideas for waste disposal and alternatives using spent rods.”

Peter’s eyebrows rose. “You do?”

“Sure.” I nodded. “You’ll have a lot of uranium going out. A lot of spent rods and most rods are only five percent used, leaving ninety-five percent left unused. A lot of that can be recycled.”

“Really!?”

“Sure, most people find it easier to just change the rod and dispose of it, rather than recycle,” I said. “I studied it.”

Peter nodded. “I understand.” He kissed me tenderly. “So, you’re coming?”

“I can’t wait!” I grinned and tackled him onto our bed kissing him.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 51
  • Love 22
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice way, very nice way, to handle who the current President of the United States is.  And nice to see the President's "husband" so quiet....  :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I'm enjoying the way you have constructed and paced the story so far, @R. Eric. It is being handled realistically and you have thought this out carefully. I will point out that Peter is not a Majesty, but a Highness and Alla's title would be Queen Mother, for obvious reasons.

 

It's wonderful to see Eric investing himself in the future of Makarovia already. He is seeing the possibilities of using his knowledge to help many people. Finding someone you love and being able to use what you know to make the world a better place at the same time is a very special opportunity.

 

Eric just got a small hint from Ted of what will be coming in terms of media attention. I don't think either realize how much life will change. Eric's landlady may not mind he has a housemate, but media camped outside is a different matter. If you think I am overblowing the whole event, think of Grace Kelly marrying Prince Ranier of Monaco. Monaco is tinier than Makarovia and not anywhere near as important as Peter's country will be. Even as second in line to the throne, this is going to get more attention because Peter is gay, out, and proud. It makes me wish this was real.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It’s also important for Peter to learn Queer history quickly. He may not see himself as a spokesperson for the LGBTQ community, but the press will. There are so many examples of newly Outed personalities saying things that are false, not correctly phrased, or insulting to parts of the community. It’s extremely easy to say or do the wrong thing. Getting assistance from one of the big LGBTQ rights organizations does help to avoid those missteps.

 

Peter will not want to claim to be the first Openly Gay Prince, that would an (Asian) Indian man.

 

If Makavovia legally recognized Same-Sex Marriage, or even any other form of legalized partnership for Same-Sex couple other than adoption, before the ‘90s, we would have heard about the country, no matter how obscure. In the period after WWII, Gays were persecuted even in Progressive countries like Finland and Germany. If there were a welcoming country Gays would have flocked there. As the political climate changed, Gays and Lesbians traveled to the Netherlands to have their relationships legally recognized (especially after Same-Sex Marriages were permitted) – similarly LGBTQ couples travelled to places like Vermont when it became legal there. Lists were compiled with the legal status of Same-Sex relationships. A country that recognized legal Same-Sex Marriage would have been noted and pointed out. Even tolerance would have been enough to cause notice in times of repression elsewhere. No country is obscure enough to allow those thing at those time and still be unknown within the LGBTQ community – unless it’s magical!  ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

ooohhh...I am loving this story. It is quite exciting. I can't wait to see how Makavovia develops. Peter & Eric are going to be Power-houses for Makavovia. Just some of the little things Eric has mentioned already. Can't wait for the next chapter!

Edited by Buz
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another nice chapter. I hope you get someone to proof read for slight typo and grammatical errors. Just makes reading easier. :)  LOVE THE STORY. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loving the story. Peter and Eric have such a future and I can already see Eric being a leader in his new country with the ideas that he has.

 

Must admit you have me thinking about the Queen and the King... Mother and son ... Could it be???? Even Eric wondered. Loved how they stood up for Peter when the Vice President attacked Eric and Peter verbally. I wonder did he realize what America could have lost has the royals been insulted by his actions. Closed mided people make me sick!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Kev said:

Loving the story. Peter and Eric have such a future and I can already see Eric being a leader in his new country with the ideas that he has.

 

Must admit you have me thinking about the Queen and the King... Mother and son ... Could it be???? Even Eric wondered. Loved how they stood up for Peter when the Vice President attacked Eric and Peter verbally. I wonder did he realize what America could have lost has the royals been insulted by his actions. Closed mided people make me sick!

But King Olek and Queen Alla never addressed the Vice President directly.  Nor was the Vice President opening verbal about his dislike of homosexuals.  The message was clear from the Vice President, though he didn't say a word.  King Olek just saw it and talked about the "people's objections," not the Vice President's stance against homosexuals.  No names were given.  No one was directly confronted.  Very political.  We have that same type of Vice President in the White House now.

Edited by R. Eric
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So the president is an evil-twin of Mrs Clinton? I got confused there in the transition. It seemed like you were describing the Cheeto and the closet case as president and VP, then it was a GOP Mrs Clinton. . Hmmmm

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Peter's full title would be His Highness, Peter, Prince Royal of Markovia. Is Queen Alla both Olek and Peters mother? I believe she was presented to us as the Queen Mother. If Olek were to die or abdicate then she would become the Dowager Queen Mother as she is not married to Peter who would become King. Are you sufficiently confused, I know I am. If Peter becomes King and he and  Eric are married then Eric would become Prince Consort unless he is awarded a title by his husband. That's quite a promotion for a boy from the south!

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

Dowager Queen Mother

Keep reading.  This is an unusual kingdom.  The answers come.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

This is probably my third time reading this story and I must say that it makes a lot of sense that a professor is going to put two people together for a project that is to be done as a group project it helps with things if one of the people spoke the same language as the other. In this case Peter speaks English but the professor thought it would be easier for him to be partnered with another student that spoke your language. Eric speaks Russian and Ukrainian thanks to his grandmother who had defected with the help of his grandfather as she was in New York with the Russian ballet. At the time Katrina Sams was the Prima Ballerina with the Russian Ballet, after defecting she became the Prima Ballerina with the New York City Ballet. The attitude of the Vice President is something that is still a hot topic today even though it’s been allowed that anyone from the LGBTQ is able to marry, all though it’s still a issue with some insurance companies that don’t allow the spouse to be insured with the other one even though they are legally married to each other. I loved the comments made by King Olek and Queen Alla to not only the Vice President but the other people who were at the same table that they had no issues with their brother and son to be dating another man who just happens to be American as they allowed the gays,Jews and anyone else who wanted to stay in Makarovia after the war was over which a lot of them did stay as the rest of the world wasn’t very receptive toward them. I think it’s great that Eric & Peter want to see where the relationship goes from where they are right now.

Link to comment
On 9/23/2018 at 6:23 PM, Will Hawkins said:

Peter's full title would be His Highness, Peter, Prince Royal of Markovia. Is Queen Alla both Olek and Peters mother? I believe she was presented to us as the Queen Mother. If Olek were to die or abdicate then she would become the Dowager Queen Mother as she is not married to Peter who would become King. Are you sufficiently confused, I know I am. If Peter becomes King and he and  Eric are married then Eric would become Prince Consort unless he is awarded a title by his husband. That's quite a promotion for a boy from the south!

 

I believe it's already been mentioned that Alla is Olek's father's second wife.  It would be weird, but not unheard-of to marry your father's widow (though I believe Leviticus forbids it).

As an item of trivia, the rather silly term "Queen Mother" was invented by the late mother of the present Queen of England on the death of George VI, because she didn't want to be called "Dowager Queen Elizabeth."  (I believe that she and Dowager Queen Mary, George's mother, didn't get along.)  But "dowager queen" is the correct term for a widowed queen consort, historically speaking.  And that term would actually fit Alla better, in any case, since she is not the current king's mother.  (Of course, it would be a different case if Peter were to become King.)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, BigBen said:

I believe it's already been mentioned that Alla is Olek's father's second wife.  It would be weird, but not unheard-of to marry your father's widow (though I believe Leviticus forbids it).

As an item of trivia, the rather silly term "Queen Mother" was invented by the late mother of the present Queen of England on the death of George VI, because she didn't want to be called "Dowager Queen Elizabeth."  (I believe that she and Dowager Queen Mary, George's mother, didn't get along.)  But "dowager queen" is the correct term for a widowed queen consort, historically speaking.  And that term would actually fit Alla better, in any case, since she is not the current king's mother.  (Of course, it would be a different case if Peter were to become King.)

Yes, to all you said.  However, Makarovia is a different situation.  Keep reading and know, technically she is Queen Consort.  When Olek the First died, she steps in as Queen until Olek the Second finishes school.  She shouldn't have been allowed to do that.  They people loved her and supported her.  Even after Olek the Second takes the throne she still acted as Queen.  Olek did the kingdom business and Alla saw to the medical and education needs of Makarovia.  No one in Makarovia objected and certainly not Olek the Second.  It eased his burden.  Makarovia doesn't care what other countries think and Alla did a great job!

Link to comment

Great chapter, Peter’s anonimety is now gone.Everyone will know who he and Eric are.,when that university paper is out on campus.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..