Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,095 Words
  • 4,701 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia! Yes, I Know Where That is! Sophomore Year - 14. Chapter 14

Gone, but never will I forget, Daniel. I will always love you

PART ONE

 

It was the next morning I sent a message to Olek telling him by email telling him what I wanted to do. Then we went to class and the daily chaos.

It was after we got back when we saw a stranger talking with Yuri in the kitchen. Yuri had too much to do to just go to class with us every day and was now confident the men escorting Peter and me could do the job well. The stranger was a man in his late thirties with short brown hair he was just losing. The crown of his head was beginning to thin. He had the look of the military. He had the military baring I came to know in Charleston. His stance, he was standing at Parade Rest. That’s hands behind his back, in case you don’t know.

“Ah, here they are,” Yuri said smiling. I loved it when he spoke English, his combination of Russian and Makarovian accents added a charming flair; to me, anyway. “Come, I will introduce you.” He said to the man. “This is Donald Wilson. He is your new press and social secretary.” He waved at us. “This is His Highness Prince Petro Ivanov of Makarovia.” He said touching Peter. “And this is The Earl of Stryia, Lord Eric Richards, soon to be Prince Eric Ivanov of Makarovia.” Yuri touched me and then all but growled at Don Wilson. “They are not only royalty but dear friends of mine I consider my family.”

Don Wilson was shaking our hands, but he got the message. “I understand.” He looked at the two of us. “You two have become quite well known.”

“Just because we’re getting married.” I nodded looking at his face. “What branch of service were you in?”

Don smiled. “Air Force.” He chuckled as he touched his hair. “I guess it still shows.”

“I was raised in Charleston. We had Navy and Air Force there…you have the look.” I replied.

He smiled. “I was in the Air Force twenty years…” he shrugged, “it would show.”

Yuri began. “He spent the last five years at the Pentagon. He was secretary to a general there. He has a great deal of experience.” Yuri smiled at us. “He has security clearance.”

I frowned. “Is that significant? Are we that important, Mr. Wilson?”

“I prefer Don, please and you most certainly are important.” He looked at me. “The recent attempt to gain access to you and your family proves that. Whether it’s because of the marriage or uranium. It was enough importance they attempted it. I’m here to monitor the many incoming messages through email or texts to get to you and handle incoming calls.”

“You’re still government-affiliated,” I said.

“Affiliated as I still have the contacts, yes,” Don explained. “Your country, Makarovia, has something a lot people would love to have. Threatening you two could make King Olek bow to demands. There are those that simply don’t like the two of you getting married.”

“How do you feel about our upcoming marriage?” I asked.

Don smiled and shrugged. “It’s a marriage. I’ve had two of my own. What do I know?”

Peter gave a slight cock of his head. “When Penelope Baldwin came to us, her loyalties were not exactly…loyal. She tried to become queen when she didn’t manage to seduce my brother she worked with this group to take the uranium for this group. Your loyalties are with the United States.”

Don nodded. “I am an American.” He said. “I took an oath of service, to defend America and Americans.” He waved at me. “He is an American. Even after he marries you and becomes Makarovian, he will still be a citizen of the United States. He will have dual citizenship as with anyone who marries someone in another country. It is in the best interests for Makarovia and the United States to keep you two safe. I will do the job. I report to Yuri. Now, the programs Ms. Baldwin put in place are still working. She was good, but I’m better. No one will jeopardize the United States or Makarovia.” He folded his arms over his chest firmly. “Or threaten you two.”

“You must be a Democrat,” I said smiling.

“No.” Don shook his head with a grin. “I’m not a Republican, either. I’m Independent. I vote for the best man or woman for the job. The party is irrelevant.”

I watched Yuri nod at that with a smile. I stuck my hand out again. “That sounds great. Welcome to a little part of Makarovia.”

Don smiled. “Now, I’m going to see what else has come in.” He gave a slight bow. “If you’ll excuse me.” He smiled and walked toward the office he was going to use.

Peter looked at Yuri and rubbed him on the shoulder. “Of course, he had to pass your appraisal.”

“Yes, he did,” Yuri said proudly. “He passed.” Yuri smiled. “So far.” Meaning he was always watching for slipups.

 

Again, we went up to study. I checked my email. Olek had requested a video call later for us, early for him. I told Peter about the call so he could see Olek, too.

It was after midnight here, but morning in Makarovia. I let Olek know we were ready. It took only a few seconds before Olek’s face appeared. I loved how he was comfortable with us. He’d just gotten up. His hair was tossed from sleep and he was bare-chested as he sat in front of the computer. He smiled as he was waking up more. Still a handsome man.

“Good morning!” Olek greeted happily, but yawned and then chuckled. “Sorry, I haven’t had my coffee, yet. It is morning here; I guess saying good night is better for you two.”

I also noted someone moving in the background putting one of those thin robes on that ladies wore. She walked over bent down putting her head next to Olek’s. “Good morning, Peter, Eric.”

“Good morning, Helga.” Peter smiled at her.

“I have a meeting soon.” She explained to us and looked quickly at Olek. “I’m taking a shower.” She said kissing the side of Olek’s head.

Olek frowned reaching to stop her from going too far. “A meeting that includes the king, which is me. It can’t start without me. Wait and I’ll shower with you.”

I heard her laugh lightly. “That’s right, honey. Shower.” She said knowing what it really would be and kissed him. “I’ll get the hot water going.” She looked again at us. “Talk to you later. Bye!” She walked off.

I smiled and did what Queen Alla and Olek had done. I looked up, thanking whoever had brought them together. “I love this, Olek!!” I waved at the screen.

Olek chuckled with a nod. “Well, it is pretty great.”

“I am serious,” I said stressing how pleased I was. “You’re whole…persona has changed. You are more relaxed and you seem really happy.”

Olek smiled at me. “I am really happy.” He moved closer to the screen again, making his face get bigger on our screen. “I got your message.” He sighed. “Please understand…we are recovering in Makarovia…” he seemed to feel a little guilty, “I would have gotten to it…”

“Olek,” I said stopping him. “You’re doing it again. Stop it. You shouldn’t be in charge of everything. There are others to help carry the load. The uranium took the priority. Makarovia is vital, I know. You…” I grinned using his words, “were busy.” As he often said. “Is there art and things from any in Makarovia?”

Olek looked embarrassed. “Yes, but we don’t know where it is.” He hurried on. “During the war, we hid those that came here fleeing the Nazis. Even before that, we were raided often by many. Romania and Ukraine at first; claiming what we had was partly theirs and took everything of value. The Soviet Union was guilty before and after the war. We just hid everything. There are a lot of mines. Records were not kept or lost as to which mine or where. We were under Soviet control a long time.”

I nodded. “How did Makarovia survive as a kingdom?”

Olek smiled. “We have always been Makarovians; whether we under Romanian control, Ukrainian or even part of the Soviet Union.” He pounded lightly on the desk. “We are Makarovians, damn it! Life can be hard here, but it is our home.”

“I can totally see that,” I assured. “You welcomed so many with no judgment at all. They were home here and would stay there. They were loyal.”

Olek nodded smiling. “That’s right.” He sat back again. “I think you should do this.”

I nodded. “Do I make a decree or proclamation or something? I‘ve never done this royal thing, so…” I asked.

Olek chuckled. “Using the title now, are we?”

“Don’t start with me, Olek.” I held my finger up. “Peter already teased me about that,” I said. “I think there was a lot of art created and in the homes of Makarovia. Art worth keeping so they hid them; they need to be found to the world see it.”

Olek nodded. “Sure. Write up what you’re looking to do. Send it to me and I’ll have the palace staff write it up officially. I’ll send it to you look over and with your approval; your Royal Request will go out.”

“You don’t make up your own proclamations or requests or decree?” I smiled.

Olek did it again gesturing with his hands helpless. “I’m busy!” He grinned, knowing he had done it many times. “The people here know what I want to say and word it correctly. I don’t have time to do all that writing. I approve them, I don’t write them up. Not all of them.”

Peter chuckled. “Yes, you are busy.”

Olek nodded. “Makarovians are so used to hiding everything, it is second nature to us now. It may take a while, but…” Olek nodded, “with the encouragement. I think you can do it. They will cooperate.”

I smiled. “I'll send what I have in mind to you.” I looked at Olek now. “I like what I see, Olek. I am so happy things are working with you and Helga. It’s changing you. For the better!”

Olek nodded. “She’s a great woman, but she’s a wonderful friend.” He said softer. “I’ve told her, now I’ll tell you. I’ve fallen in love with her. What’s better is she says she loves me.”

“Who wouldn’t, Olek?” Peter asked smiling more. “No one could resist you. You’re a great and good man.”

Olek chuckled. “I couldn’t resist her.”

“I’m happy for you,” I said sincerely. “I’ll send what I hope can be done and send it to you.”

Olek smiled warmly. “I do love you both.” He said kissing his hand and touched the screen. “We’ll talk soon.”

“We love you, too, Olek,” Peter said and we did the same together to Olek as the screen went dark.

Peter smiled at me squeezing me in affection. “Now, time for bed.”

I nodded. “Sure.”

He chuckled. “And maybe we’ll sleep afterward.”

I turned to him. “Well, just state it outright!” I grinned at him.

“I am!” Peter said hugging me. “I want to have sex with my future husband!”

“Let’s not waste time!” I got up quickly pulling him by the hand toward our bed.

 

I typed up what I would like done in Makarovia and why. I sent that to Olek to give to his staff at the palace. A “request” was being drafted and would go out after I saw the finished document.

Why do they always schedule finals after Thanksgiving? I know; the calendar. Still, it would be great to see my…our grandmother again, but that pendulum of exams would overshadow the holiday! Yes, I whined again. Peter and I had settled into a comfortable companionship. Our lives were one now and it was just getting stronger. We studied! It seemed that was our whole life now. Examinations and studying for those examinations.

I studied other things, too, but…this literature? It was English!? I felt I was reading another language! Old English read like German to me…I didn’t know German! It’s like…Shakespeare. It takes a few lines spoken before it begins to make sense. I remember seeing Hamlet, the one with Mel Gibson? He spoke the lines using the words from Shakespeare. It took a few moments for your mind to reprogram itself before it started to make sense. Maybe it was just me. But this Old English or even Middle English…and it wasn’t just Chaucer, there was the original Beowulf, the Peterborough Chronicle and assorted poems from Vercelli. I let out a frustrated huff.

“Why am I learning this?” I asked irritated and to the only other person there beside me on the sofa. “Old English isn’t even English!”

Peter looked up from what he was reading with a sympathetic smile. “Because they think it’s important?” He put his arm around me. “It’s history.” He said simply. “Makarovian and Ukrainian are very similar even now. A thousand years ago there really was no difference at all, but with Romanian and Hungarian takeovers and other countries like Slovakia and even Moldova…it changed. Looking and knowing the languages, you see how our language evolved to what it is today.”

I nodded wiping my face with my hands. “I just wanted to do ecologically safe industries and manufacturing. Safety. Not this.”

Peter brought me close to him, resting his lips against my head. “You’ll be fine.” He said softly. “You’re a smart man. Your grades are very good!” He kissed my head moved down my face with his lips. “It’s just stress.”

“You’re stressed, too.” I pointed out, but not wanting him to stop what he was doing.

He chuckled softly. “I have that same smart man that loves me and keeps the stress down.” He pulled my face up kissing me. “I'll do whatever I need to. Is there something you need? Me?”

I laughed lightly at him. “I will always need you, Peter. I want you all the time. In our lives, we’re partners.” I got up and stretched.

Peter got up as well and stretched and then patted his stomach. “Am I getting flabby?”

I looked surprised at the unexpected subject. “No. We work out every day before breakfast. Why? Do you feel flabby?”

Peter moved his arm to stretch the muscle. “I don’t know.”

“I’ll go make us our coffees,” I said simply.

“Just ask Boris, he’ll bring them,” Peter said.

I grunted. “I know. He’s probably busy, I can make the coffee.”

Peter pulled me again to him. “You don’t like being served.”

“I don’t want to be served,” I stated. “He’s as important as anyone. He has work to do.”

“He is important! So are all the people employed here. Boris is paid well to work.” Peter said. “Which is to serve.” Then he nodded again. “You don’t want him or Yuri treated as a servant. I get that. We don’t flaunt our position in front of them to demean them and not those two in particular. Boris went to school and learned how to do a job and he does it better than anyone I know. Yuri, too. We value them as people because they are good at what they do, we hired them to do it for us. Boris even tells us he loves doing the job. Hell, we made them part of the family and have told them and others over and over that. Yuri even growled it to Don Wilson saying just that! If we don’t utilize what he was hired to do. He might go somewhere else!”

“Grandma,” I said simply melting in Peter’s embrace. “She raised Mom and subsequently me that no one was better than me and I am no better than anyone else. I guess it just stuck.”

Peter smiled. “You don’t feel bad when a waiter brings coffee. That’s his job. Boris doesn’t lie. If you don’t ask him because you’re afraid of offending him, you’re calling him a liar. He wants to and asks us all the time if we need things. He’s even come with things without asking.”

“A waiter is a waiter. Boris is family.”

“When your mother brought things to you…”

“Okay!” I nodded. “I get it. I have the problem, not him.”

“Grandmother taught you some good lessons,” Peter said kissing me. “She helped shape the man I love. You just have to change how you see things.” He kissed me again and rubbed his face against mine. “It may take a while, but you are an Earl now, soon will be a prince. Most importantly, you will be my husband. You will adjust. This is just new for you.”

“I’m going.”

 

I did go to my computer in the study and hit the icon to call Boris.

His smiling face appeared. That man was psychic! “I’ll bring coffees right up!” He said happily. I really loved that man.

“Thank you, Boris,” I said to the image. “How’d you know?”

“I remember studying somewhat as you do. I knew it was about time.” Boris said simply. “I’ll be up in a minute.”

I looked at Peter who was giving me the “I told you so” look. “I think we will marry Boris and Yuri.” Peter chuckled.

And true to his words, Boris came up quickly with our coffees which he put before us.

You know me by now; I got up and hugged the man getting his little “oh” as I kissed him on the cheek. “I love you, Boris. I appreciate everything you do. I’ll never be able to thank you enough.” He chuckled and hugged me back. Peter got his coffee and kissed him, too and gave him a hug.

Boris was turning pink again. “I love you, too.” He was about to leave when he stopped and turned back and said sincerely. “Thank you. It’s nice to be appreciated. I know I really am.”

I looked at the computer again. “We have more clips to go through if you want,” I said to Peter.

He sipped his steaming BIG mug of coffee. “We’re getting into the bad parts.” He said slowly. “We’re getting to where they were taken to the camp. It could be bad.”

I nodded. “It was very bad,” I said. “It was recorded to tell us how bad.”

Peter nodded and came and sat in the chair with me again. I will admit, the chair was not big enough for two if you didn’t squeeze in. I like when we squeezed in. So did Peter. “Okay.” He sighed. “They didn’t have a choice, neither should we.”

I clicked on the file which began to play.

 

“I’m glad you came back, Bren.” Dr. Rachel Lowenstein said quietly. “I only know what happened as I was told. This will be very difficult and painful for you to talk about.” She said. “Milo is right here beside you. I will be here. These memories will trigger this state. We’ll be ready for that. Milo can bring you out of them. No one can hurt you now. Understand?”

“Yes,” Bren said softly. “I don’t want to go through it again.” He said as his voice broke a little as tears were threatening to come.

“I know.” Dr. Lowenstein said. “Please, believe me, I know it will hurt. I don’t want to hurt you. This will help you. Talking about it…getting it out will help your mind deal with it. It’s worked successfully before with many people that have been brutally traumatized like you. What is inside you will just fester if left alone, talking about it will work to get it out. Do we begin?”

“I’m right here, Bren.” I heard Milo tell his husband. “I’ll hold your hand the whole time. I won’t let go. You know that.”

“I know,” Bren said, but the fear was in his voice.

“I love you, Bren,” Milo told Bren. “I always have and always will.”

“I know that, too,” Bren said and his voice sounded a little better. “I never doubted that. I love you, Milo.”

The session, which really had started already. Dr. Lowenstein said the date and time again.

“We’ll try for a happy memory first.” She said. “Let’s start with that trip to Midi? Is that right?”

“That’s right,” Milo said and I heard the happier tone. “In the South of France.”

“That…” Bren said and his voice was better, “was just magical.” He even sounded happy at the memories he was having. “We had pooled our money to take the trip. We knew people won’t be happy knowing that we’d gone, but…we tried to have…who we thought was a friend cover for us. The trip down by train was a long one. I remember being excited more than I can tell you about accurately. Milo and I were going away…to spend time alone…together. It was almost like…a honeymoon.” I heard him sigh, but it was not a distressed sigh. It was satisfaction. “We had…” you just didn’t say they’d had sex outright at that time or even in Makarovia, “relations…by then, but this was different. We were going with less concern about hiding what we were doing. We got there on Friday and went to this hotel. It was clean, not a palace or even luxurious, but Milo and I were staying there. I thought it was the most beautiful hotel.” We heard Milo chuckle when Bren said that. “Milo was so handsome. A really beautiful man.” I heard a quick. “You still are, baby. I’m just saying.”

Milo laughed again. “I’m good, Bren.” He assured and we heard the kiss to affirm that.

Bren even chuckled back. “It was magic because of you.” He said to Milo. “We had freedom for the first time. We didn’t express it in public but in the hotel room. He was…always kind and gentle and…he loved me. I just knew it. I loved him.” He laughed again. “I almost didn’t want to leave the room. We’d come there to spend time together, yes, but there was a beach and that next day, we went.” Then his voice took on an embarrassed tone. “I don’t want to say…you want me to be honest, right?”

“Absolutely.” Dr. Lowenstein answered. “You won’t embarrass me.”

“Well, he was more…attractive with his bathing suit on than without it.” He chuckled. “I was sure everyone on the beach would know how I…was attracted by looking at my swimsuit…because of my physical reaction. If you understand what I’m saying.”

“It’s a perfectly natural thing, Bren.” Dr. Lowenstein said.

“We had a great time on the beach. We got in the water and played around there. A photographer came and asked if we wanted a picture. He said we’d get it before we left.” He made a sound one does when the shrug sometimes. “Milo asked, why not? The photographer asked which hotel and promised to deliver it the next day. We enjoyed the rest of that afternoon and had to go back when it was dark. Showering and cleaning up, we went and got something to eat.” His voice broke a little and he was starting to cry again. “I don’t know why. Why? What were we doing that was so wrong? I love Milo. He loves me. How is that wrong? I know what the ministers in church say. I don’t understand it.” He began crying. “How is love wrong!?”

Milo was heard speaking something softly to Bren.

“You know no one believes that in Makarovia.” Dr. Lowenstein reminded Bren. “I said it before. You were welcomed here. The king knows and welcomed you here. That isn’t everywhere.”

“It was in Germany!” Bren said getting more upset. “When we got back…” he said as his voice strained.

“It’s okay, baby,” Milo said again with his voice muffled as he was saying it probably in Bren’s ear. “We made it, we’re fine now. We’re together. It’s okay.”

“Mom and Dad were furious at me, Milo. They locked me in my room!” Bren said crying. “You were locked in your cellar! For three days!”

“I remember,” Milo said. “It’s okay.”

“What was so wrong, Milo?” Bren sobbed.

“Nothing,” Milo said again the sound of fabric being rubbed, Milo probably was rubbing Bren on the back as he hugged him. “We did nothing wrong.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 11
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I try not to hate people, but there are a few who really make me intensely dislike them! It’s nearly always because of their beliefs and attitudes towards LGBTQ people. In many cases it’s not a religious prohibition because they either aren’t religious or they are very uneducated about the religion they profess to believe in.  ;-)

 

I like to say that a huge percentage of those who hate LGBTQs think there is a 0.5 Commandment, over and above the Ten Commandments they claim their god decreed. To those people, being LGBTQ is worse than a murderer. They ignore their own sins and focus only on the ‘sin’ they think I am committing. They want to be judge and jury when their own ‘holy’ book says to leave that to their god. In most cases, I know more about their bible than they do. (It’s always a good thing to study your opponent's weapon of choice in order to be prepared to defend yourself. I’ve never been in the military, but even I know that!)  ;-)

Link to comment

Mill's and Bren's story is sad, but the joy is they were triumphant in the end. I got to wondering how you came up with the name Makarovia? Thanks for this most enjoyable story.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I like that Eric doesn't want someone serving him if he's able to get it himself. I hope that he'll get used to being served as it will happen more often now that he's a member of the royal family. I'm glad that he feels like Boris and Yuri are family and not just servants. I'm glad that Mr Wilson  has passed the Yuri test right now but Eric and Peter know that Yuri's always  watching. I like the idea that Eric came up with about the writing, art and sculptures made by Makarovians being brought out so that everyone in Makarovia can enjoy it.  I feel like Eric and Peter listening to the recordings of Milo and Bren might affect them more than they realize. 

Edited by Butcher56
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Okay so this Wilson fellow sounds decent enough, hope he is not a spy. Can he hook them up with that Ellen interview? Lol, just asking.

Edited by Lizzydolphin37
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

This is hard for him to talk about. My stomach hurts when reading This.

 It’s horrible when you read what happened to this guy’s.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..