Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,177 Words
  • 4,381 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 13. Chapter 13

And Dad did try to be more accepting. I helped Mom get things ready for Thanksgiving Day. Making several pies and two cakes. Pecan, apple and chocolate pies, a red velvet and coconut cakes. The coconut cake was for me. It was my favorite. Not a yellow cake with coconut frosting, now there was coconut in the cake, coconut milk, it was coconut! Even Dad and Tony tried to help but were getting in the way. The kitchen wasn’t that big! In the meantime, Mom and I talked.

“I know you think I gave up my dreams to marry your father.” Mom said then shrugged. “Maybe I did. But I was having doubts in the beginning. You were right, the McKenzies are a sad people I didn’t want to be a part of. I don’t know why they are that way. They’re father never ate with the family. His wife always fed him separately. They weren’t allowed to talk during meals. It was just….sad. But I did love your father. I do.”

I smiled at her. “I believe that.”

She smiled as she thought. “He was so handsome.” Then she nodded. “All of the McKenzie men are. And he was kind and gentle.” Then she chuckled. “He always smelled so nice.”

I looked up suddenly at her. “Smelled nice?” I looked at Tony and Dad were getting some containers we would take the cakes over in. “Tony.”

Tony looked up.

“What do you mean, he smelled nice?” I asked cautiously.

Mom realized she might have said too much and became embarrassed. “It’s nothing.” She was about to walk off for another task.

I stopped her gently. “No, what did you mean?” I pressed. “Do you mean a cologne?”

She gave a shrugging nod. “Well, yes…but he always smelled nice to me.” She smiled a little guiltily. “Even if he’s sweating. Which was an odd thing. Not long after, but right as it started, he gave off this…” she searched for a word. “…scent. Very strong.”

Tony was walking closer to us. “A musky smell?”

Mom nodded. “That’s it. A kind of musk.”

Tony grinned to me. “You get it from your mother!”

Dad frowned. “What are you all talking about?”

“And…” I began. “Forgive me, but I have to ask. Is it stronger other places on Dad?”

Mom looked warily. “Yes.”

I placed a hand on Tony’s arm. “He does, too.” I saw Mom’s confusion. “I mean, I smell this musk on Tony. There’s this cologne he wears that only makes it even stronger.”

Mom nodded smiling at me. “You father does, too! I give him a bottle every Christmas, birthday…or just because.” Then she looked closer to me. “You smell it, too?”

I nodded. “On him. Not Dad.”

Dad shook his head. “Son, this is a little more personal than I’m comfortable with.”

I grinned and touched my Dad’s arm. “I know. I’m sorry, but it’s not a bad thing, Dad!” I laughed as my father was very embarrassed. “We’ve made up, but I know. We don’t talk about certain things. Even if I am thirty-two and probably did it.”

“Mitch,” Dad said gruffly.

Tony shook his head. “I know what your father means. You know how I feel when Nick teases me.”

I nodded. “I know. But now we know it’s not just in my head.”

Tony grinned. “I never thought it was.”

That’s when a knock on the side door came. I looked to see Nick looking in concerned. “And speak of the devil. Come on in, Nick.” Which he smiled opening the door. “Mom, Dad, this is Tony’s son Nick.” And I introduced Nick to them.

“I was wondering if I needed to identify a body or something,” Nick said with a smile. “You’ve been over here a few hours.”

Mom’s eyes grew at Nick standing by Tony. “They grow big up North.”

I nodded. “They do.” Then I looked outside as the sun was setting. “We can take the cakes and pies back for you, Mom.”

Mom smiled. “Okay.” She narrowed her eyes. “But I want to see a whole coconut cake tomorrow.”

“Aw, Mom,” I said sadly. “It’s my favorite.”

She nodded. “I know. That’s why I’m saying it.” She pointed at me.

Tony chuckled. “I’ll make sure he stays out of it.”

“Thank you, Tony.” Mom said handing me the red velvet cake container. Then handed the coconut cake container to Tony. “You can have two slices tomorrow.” Then she said firmly. “Tomorrow.” Then handed the pies, stacked to Nick. “Be careful, all of you.”

“Yes, Ma’am.” We all said.

“I didn’t mean to embarrass you, Dad,” I said sincerely hugging the man.

“I’ll just have to adjust my head. My son’s not a little boy anymore. See you tomorrow.” Dad chuckled as we left.

 

The next day, Grandma got up about six to start the turkey cooking and prepare the ham. They could keep the turkey, the ham was another holiday favorite to me. We came down to help as needed, and Tony zeroed in on the coffee first thing.

I shook my head at Tony. “We need to get you in treatment. That’s a serious habit you’ve got. Do they have rehab for coffee addictions?”

Tony shook his head inhaling the fragrance as if it was the most heavenly thing he ever smelled. I wondered what I looked like when smelling Tony. “I don’t care, I won’t go.” He smiled, but then looked at the tree outside the kitchen window and his eyes grew, then narrowed and looked carefully. “Okay.” He said. “I don’t know squat about planting anything, but there’s something wrong with that tree.”

I grinned knowing what he was talking about. “No there’s not.”

Tony tilted his head, looking again. “Don’t trees bear the same color fruits? Not two…three?”

Grandma chuckled coming beside Tony. “Oh, that.” She nodded. “That’s your grandfather’s courting tree.”

“His what?” Tony asked.

I came up next to Tony. “His courting tree. That’s how he won Grandma. I know the story well.”

Grandma nodded with a smile. “He thought he won me.” She remembered. “We’d known each other since we were kids. I was eight and he was ten when we met. I was fourteen when he said he wanted to date me.”

I nodded and continued the well-told story. “But great-grandpa said she couldn’t until she was sixteen. But she made the most wonderful apple pies, cakes, jams, apple nut bread, and applesauce.”

“So, Theodore asked me what sort of apple I liked best.” Grandma nodded. “I told him I liked three kinds. Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, and Green Delicious.”

“Then Grandpa said if he got one tree that grew all three, she had to agree to marry him,” I said proudly. “So he took this young Red Delicious Apple tree, made a splice and grafted a Yellow Delicious branch to it. Waited a year and grafted a Green Delicious. He alternated, adding branches.” Then I pointed. “He did it over a twenty year period and there it stands.”

“That man could break a broomstick in half, stick the ends in the ground and have something sprout.” Grandma chuckled. “When I was eighteen, he brought me here, showed me his tree and I said yes.” Grandma nodded. “But he kept adding the branches so I’d keep baking.”

Tony nodded, then looked back at the tree and just said. “Huh.” Then he shrugged. “Well, it worked.” He grinned. “The romantic devil.”

Grandma nodded. “It did.” Then she leaned closer. “He still is a romantic devil.”

“Italians don’t have the monopoly on being romantic,” I said softly to Tony.

He smiled back. “I never said we do. You are, but now I see it runs in the family.” He said as Nick came into the kitchen to get his coffee. “Just like you get that ability to smell the musk on me when I’m not wearing any.”

“Musk?” Nick said looking up at us suddenly.

I chuckled. “Your father has a scent I pick up. I call it his musk. I thought I told you. That was one of the first things I got from him that attracted me.”

Nick smiled, sniffing the coffee as Tony had. “So, what do I need to do? Have all the women sniff my armpit?”

“That’s not where the strongest scent is,” I said and waggled my eyebrows. “At least now I know Dad likes more than the missionary position.”

Tony looked at me blushing but smiling again as he did it. “See!? That’s what you Dad was talking about last night!”

“Relax, Dad. I know what you guys do. I’m fine with it. I hope you do.” Nick grinned. “Well, I can’t have them sniff there right off, can I? I’ll be arrested!” Then turned and asked no one in particular. “Does no one in the South watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?”

Then the backdoor opened. “Hi!” A woman with dark hair said walking in. Her smile was instant seeing me. “Hi, Mitch!” And Tony.

I grinned at her. “Hi, Aunt Pat. Where’s…”

Then a handsome man with light brown hair walked in. “Is Mary here?”

“…Uncle Earl?” I finished my question. “No, Aunt Mary and Uncle Norm haven’t gotten here yet.”

Uncle Earl looked at Tony, Nick and me. “Well, I saw a fancy car I didn’t recognize. I just thought they’d gotten here early. You know how she is.”

Then I did it again. Introducing them to my mother’s brother, sister-in-law and their two girls. Tammy was the eldest and in college where Nick laid on the charm. Dana was her younger sister and a senior in high school. Then Nick was charming both of them. Why not? They were both pretty. I needed to watch Nick.

It didn’t take long before we were all there, everyone was introduced. Mary was four years younger than Mom. Earl was the baby. Mary was considered a catch. Pretty, but she used it for attracting men. Thus three husbands. And for a while, of the four children of Theodore and Margret was the richest of the siblings and had the adoration of all the grandchildren, but me. Now was a little threatened by Tony. To be honest, it was good to see her not relying so heavily on that status. But when Uncle Norm found out what Tony did and who he worked for, they were soon having conversations of their own. All about stocks and investments.

“Norm,” Mary said to her husband. “Is it necessary to talk business at the table?”

Norm shrugged. “He knows what he’s talking about. I just thought I’d ask.”

It wasn’t that Norm was ugly. He wasn’t. But what attracted him for Mary was his money. Everyone there knew that.

What pleased me was Dad and Tony seemed to really be hitting it off.

Now, it was one without real thought. In order to be able to function at Tony’s parents we would often just speak in Italian. So towards the end of the meal, Tony grinned at me and asked. “Ho tenuto fuori dalla torta di cocco ieri sera. Ne vuoi un po' ora?” Telling me he’s kept me from my favorite cake would I like some now.

“Certo che mi piace. Sono stato bravo.” I grinned back. “Due, per favore. Ho bisogno di prenderla prima lo Zio Earl ottiene la sua metà.” Saying I wanted two pieces to get some before Uncle Earl got his half.

Tony chuckled, even Nick was smiling at that. But everyone at the table just stared.

Then I looked up and saw their eyes on us, then smiled. “Sorry, I’ll be with Tony’s family in a month,” I explained.

Tony chuckled. “He wanted to be able to keep up with the conversations at the table. So, I’ve been helping him by occasionally talking to him in Italian.” He gave a grudging nod. “And I say he’s well on the way to be proficient. Soon he’ll be fluent.”

“Presto non sarò in grado di parlare con mio padre alle spalle di Pop.” Nick chuckled.

I grinned. “Non è possibile in questo momento.” Then I smiled at the family. “He originally asked if I wanted cake, I said I had to get two pieces before Uncle Earl gets his half.”

“Hey!” Uncle Earl objected with a grin. “Was it my fault my favorite cake became your favorite cake?”

“Then Nick said he could no longer talk about me behind my back to his father.” I clarified.

Mary was shaking her head. “But I thought you were from the United States, Tony.”

Tony nodded. “I am. New York City. I’m the third generation here. Well, second since Dad was born in Rome. He was a baby when they got here, but my family often converses in Italian at the table. Mitch just wants to keep up.”

“I have to be able to, to sit at the adult table.” I chuckled.

“The past month Mitch and I carried on whole conversations in Italian.” Tony nodded.

Tammy smiled. “It must be love to learn a new language.”

Dad smiled. “It is.” Then he winked at me! Inside I was doing a victory dance! He was finally getting it!!

 

We had to go back on Friday for me to work that weekend. It was the following Tuesday when I got the familiar…. “McKenzie!”

I walk into Alan’s office. “Give it up, Beloski. This tough guy act doesn’t work on me and you know it.” I smiled.

Alan smirked. “It never did, did it?”

I shook my head. “Nope.”

Alan sighed. “I try.” Then brightened. “So, how’d it go with hunky and the new in-laws?”

I smiled. “You like living my life with me, don’t you?”

Alan sighed again hinted that it was more than that. “If you don’t have one of your own.”

That bothered me. I liked Alan if you didn’t know. He was a nice guy! He was good looking, for a blonde man. I’m not attracted to blondes. “What happened to Mark?”

“Never mind about him.” Alan griped. “Not all of us can grab the brass ring on the first try.”

I sat in the chair in front of Alan’s desk. “I’m sorry.”

Alan nodded. “It’s okay.”

“No, it’s not,” I argued. “You loved Mark.”

Alan nodded, then brightened again. “So, what happened with Dad?”

I grinned at Alan. “I tell you too much.”

“No, you don’t.” Alan shook his head. “You don’t tell enough. Did it go well?”

“It went very well.” I nodded. “In fact, they’re coming here for New Year’s Eve.”

Alan nodded happily. “That’s wonderful! How are you feeling about going to New York to meet his family?”

I shrugged. “Nervous. But I’ve won two Delveccios, I’ll reel in the rest.” Then I grinned. “E il mio italiano è sempre abbastanza buono!”

Alan blinked missing what I said. “What?”

I chuckled. “I said my Italian is getting pretty good.”

Alan smiled, then shook his head. “I am so jealous of you. I should fire you.”

I grinned at him. “Then where would you get the dirt?”

He shrugged, relenting. “You’re right.”

I got up and went around his desk. “Look, Alan. I love you.”

His eyes widened.

“Not like that,” I smirked. “You are my boss, so no way. But I like that you treat me as a friend.”

Alan smiled. “I admit, I had fantasies that maybe we could…then you came out as gay, I think maybe we could. Then you came with that beautiful Italian boyfriend!!” He said in mock anger. “How dare you do that to me.” Then he smiled rising. “We are friends.” Then hugged me. “You’re a good manager. You do good work. That way I never had to bark at you. I relaxed and we became friends.” Then he shoved me lightly. “Now, go back to work.”

I grinned. “I was working when you barked.” But I stopped as I was leaving. “So, my time during Christmas is okay?”

Alan nodded. “You got the week. I’d never stand between a man and his new family.” He smiled. “Stuart will be here and I’ll be on call.”

 

I get home and start making dinner. He had me eat his food, I was determined to get him to eat something of mine. Not the sheep’s stomach stuff. British. I don’t know, but I knew Shepard’s pie had it all. While it was baking I checked my email. I was thrilled to see mail from my cousins. Invitations and general sharing. Then Tony came in.

“Hi, Honey, I’m home!!” He called out.

I grinned as I got up from the computer and came in the kitchen area where he’d come in. “I’m glad you are.”

We, of course, greeted each other with the kiss, but as always, it was never just routine. Then he looked up and sniffed. “What’s that?”

“Shepard’s Pie.”

His face held a question mark.

“It’s from a long line of British families.”

He shrugged. “I guess I can eat it.” He grinned, then leaned in. “I’ll confess. I’m not all Italian.”

My eyes widened. “You’re not?”

He shook his head. “Mama’s mother was Irish. She was named after her. Kathleen.”

“No!!” I pushed him back with a grin. “I thought I was married to an Italian. This could be a deal breaker, you know?” I chuckled.

Tony laughed. “I know, having bad blood, I’d understand.” He looked at the condo’s interior. “We’re going to decorate.”

“That wasn’t a question. I need some decorations if we do.”

Tony nodded. “Jean got the ones from the house and I didn’t really decorate much when I lived downtown.”

“I have a little tree.” I smiled and held my hands about a foot apart.

Then Tony’s eyes narrowed. “And we’ll go decoration shopping. And no qualms about using the card I gave you, understand?”

“Bossy.” I grinned. “I just don’t….I feel odd using the card.”

“Why?” He asked. “It’s our money.” Then he looked closer. “You signed the Power of Attorney and signed the bank papers. It’s your money, too.”

I nodded. “Listen, Tony. The fact you have and are making good money is great, but most of the fights I had with Susan were about money. That’s the major sore spot in marriages.”

“I’m not Susan!” Tony said loudly.

I pulled him closer. “I could never confuse you two, you’re better looking.” I kissed him gently.

“Okay, well…” he grinned. “…and you need clothes.”

I was startled when he said that. “Why?”

He threw his arms out. “Because we’re going to New York! It’ll be cold.” Then he kissed me again. “And you need a good suit or tux for Broadway.”

“Broadway!?” I pushed him away.

He grinned nodding. “I booked us a Broadway Theater show. Phantom of the Opera. It’s your favorite.” He smiled bigger as my jaw dropped. “And there’s the Radio City Music Hall with the Rockettes.” He pulled me back. “I’m going to show you New York.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/23/2016 05:08 PM, Wesley8890 said:

I loved this chapter I am so happy his dad accepts him now. I. Can't wait to meet tonys side of the family

New York, coming up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So sorry you had to experience that. [in reply to the previous chapter's review response]

 

It was nice to see Mitch's Mom's family accept Tony and Nick. ;-)

Link to comment
On 12/23/2016 07:35 PM, droughtquake said:

So sorry you had to experience that. [in reply to the previous chapter's review response]

 

It was nice to see Mitch's Mom's family accept Tony and Nick. ;-)

And so the next chapter comes...now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..