Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,358 Words
  • 5,286 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 14. Chapter 14

“And I’m looking forward to seeing New York.” I nodded. “For a long time it was more of a fictional city to me. It’d be nice to actually see it.”

“Fictional? How so?” Tony asked.

I shrugged. “I only saw it on TV. Archie Bunker in All In The Family, SVU…shows like that.”

Tony smiled. “It’s real, you’ll see. We’ll be flying in on Sunday before Christmas. And leave on Friday afterward.” Then he looked at me closely. “If that’s okay with you?”

“I do have to be back Saturday.” I shrugged. “So, is there any traditions I need to know about with you? Like decorating or about Christmas itself?”

He smiled. “Well, there have been some changes over the years. We’ve become more Americanized. Christmas, December 25th was usually a day about church and family. Presents were not exchanged then. That was to be done on January 6th. That’s the Day of the Epiphany.”

I nodded. “But not now.”

He shook his head. “Are you going to tell my nieces and nephews they have to wait for their presents from Befana?”

“The Good Witch.” I nodded.

His eyebrows rose. “You know about her?”

I nodded. “Internet, remember? So what about Babbo Natale?”

He chuckled. “They sort of combined the two. And Babbo Natale is not as fat. But the kids don’t care. Technically we don’t even decorate until the 8th. The Day of Immaculate Conception.”

I nodded. “Okay, we can do that. What about Midnight Mass?”

His face hardened. “We’ll go to our own.”

“Why?” I asked cautiously.

“Because I was basically excommunicated.” Tony spat angrily.

“What!?” I asked incredulously.

He nodded. “I confessed to Father Phillip about being gay. Later he refused to give me Eucharis afterward.”

“He didn’t give you the Lord’s Supper!?” I couldn’t believe that.

Tony explained. “And it’s more than the Lord’s Supper to us. That’s the Body of Christ!”

I nodded. “I know. But how dare he refuse you?”

Tony shrugged. “I was living in sin. He cut me off from being Catholic. So, I quit going.”

That hurt me. Mostly because it hurt Tony. “I’m so sorry.”

“I know.” He smiled. “But I get it every Sunday now.” Then he smiled. “You’ll see, the MCC in Manhattan is basically Catholic. Unlike here where it’s mostly Baptist. We’ll go to the midnight service there. You can meet Reverend Pat.” He waggled his eyebrows. “She’s quite a woman!”

That made me wonder if this person was a woman, became a woman or just dressed like one.

 

Then Nick came to stay while his school was off. It was interesting having him there. And never quiet. On one of the nights before I had the next day off we went tree shopping. Charleston was all decorated to Christmas. The streets downtown were decorated with lights and the overall feeling was very pleasant. We went to several of those roadside places that had trees.

The man brought yet another tree. “What about this one?” He was trying to be patient. You heard it in his voice.

It was a tall tree, but full with a nice shape. It was a Frasier Fur. And it was ten feet tall. The ceilings in the great room/living room were twelve feet tall, but put in the tree stand? It might just touch the ceiling.

“What do you think?” Tony asked me and Nick.

“It’s another tree.” Nick groused, tired of looking. “Who cares?”

“It’s your Pop’s and my first Christmas Tree.” Tony corrected. “It needs to be perfect.”

Nick just rolled his eyes.

“I think it’s perfect.” I nodded with a grin. Then I leaned to Nick. “Your father loves Christmas, apparently.”

Nick nodded. “He always has.”

 

We got the tree home in the back of Bubba. Then spent the next day decorating the tree and house. We even had a Nativity Scene on the mantle. For the first time in a few years, I was feeling like it was really going to be Christmas. I had some traditions of my own. Tony and I didn’t always see things the same way. Like when he came home one night and as we were watching the TV, it switched automatically as I had programmed it to.

“What the…” Tony looked startled as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer began.

I grabbed the remote before he could change it. “No!” I said firmly. “I’m watching that.”

Tony’s eyes widened. “You’re kidding.”

I shook my head. “I’ve seen it every year. That and Frosty the Snowman. I never miss it.” Then I grinned. “There are others, but these two are a must. That and Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown.”

Tony looked a little annoyed. “You’re how old?”

I shrugged. “If you’re too grown up to enjoy them, you’re too old.” I waved at him. “Please make me some popcorn?”

Tony just nodded and went into the kitchen.

I mean, who didn’t like Burl Ives and Rudolph? It made me feel like a kid again. I loved it! But I looked over as we began eating the popcorn to see him looking a little more interested than he would be willing to admit. After it was over Tony smiled.

“You can get these on DVD, you know? You can watch it anytime.”

I looked appalled. “That’s not the same! It’s just not.”

Tony smiled holding his hands up to stop me. “Okay, okay. It’s not the same.”

“Would it be okay if we invited David here for New Year’s Eve?” I asked changing the subject.

Tony frowned. “Isn’t he going to be with family?” Then he grinned. “I mean the rest of his family.”

“We are his family,” I said flatly. “But Michael will be with his fiancé and her family. I don’t think David and Michael have spent that much time apart. He could spend it with his mother and father, but it will be hard on him this year. They are twins.”

“What the hell?” Tony grinned kissing me. “Invite already.”

“Sherry wants to come, too.”

Tony didn’t quite roll his eyes. “Anyone else? Your parents will be here, too. We have a big place, but only so many rooms.”

“When I was little, we all shared a bed. Me, Chuck, David, Michael in one bed. My other cousins in the other. It was fun. Eight little boys in one room. Four in each bed.”

Tony smiled. “Kissing cousins?”

I grinned. “Don’t be a wiseass.”

 

Then the day came and we flew to New York. I was nervous.

“Relax,” Tony said as we were taxiing to take off taking my hand. “They’ll love you.”

“I hope so,” I admitted. “I really want them to like me. Were you nervous about going up to the mountains? Or to Derby?”

“Derby? Terrified. The mountains…cautious.” Tony admitted. “You’ll see. It’s going to be all good.” He said confidently. I wish I felt it.

 

I was a country boy going to the Big City. Literally. When we arrived at LaGuardia and that’s how I felt. It was Christmas and the place was nonstop activity. When Nick, Tony and I departed the plane it truly was stepping into another world for me. We went to the area where passengers were meeting family, friends or just going to baggage claim. That’s when I spotted a woman waving at us. Well, at Tony.

“Tony!!” She said happily waving more. She was in her early forties and yep, black hair and most definitely Italian. “Over here.”

Tony’s face lit up as he hugged the woman. There was a young man, with dark hair, but not as black as Tony or this woman’s. “Hi, Kathy!” His face was covered in kisses. Then he stepped back. “Kathy, this is Mitch McKenzie. My fiancé.”

She smiled at me! Her eyes even sparkled a little. “So, you’re the one that caught my brother’s heart.” Then she hugged me. “Welcome to the family.”

I was pleased she just accepted me. No questions asked. “I am the one that caught his heart.” I nodded. “È un piacere conoscerti, Kathy.” Saying it was a pleasure to meet her.

Her eyes grew in amazement. “He speaks Italian!?”

I chuckled. “From what Tony described about family dinners, I sort of thought it would be necessary.”

“And he did it in only eight months!” Nick stated.

I grinned at Nick. “I told you, I was motivated.” Then I shook my head at Kathy. “I’m nowhere near fluent, but I think I’ll get along fine.”

“Better than Dad.” The young man laughed.

Kathy looked and brought him forward. “This is David, my son. He insisted he come with me.” A nice looking boy about twenty.

Then it was general greetings by them to Nick as well. Then it was a little chaotic as we got our luggage and got to the car.

“We could have taken a cab,” Tony said to his sister.

“And what sort of reception would that be?” Kathy asked him. “My brother returns after being gone. With a new love? I’m letting you come without a welcome?” She shook her head. “I think not.”

And of course I had no idea where we were or where we were going, but David drove well. Kathy’s husband was a doctor, she was a nurse manager and the house we arrived at what looked very nice. But it was a house. Not what I thought it might be. Two stories and lit for Christmas.

“Al’s on duty tonight, you’ll meet him in the morning if you get up in time,” Kathy said absently as she led us in the house. It was pleasant. It felt like a home, not just a house. It was lived in. That’s when a young woman about sixteen came in. Her hair was long past her shoulders and just as black as Tony’s and Kathy’s.

“Hi, Uncle Tony!” The young woman smiled at hugged him. Then cast her eyes over me smiling. “This him?”

Tony rolled his eyes. “No. He’s just someone I picked up at the airport. Of course, he is.” He grinned. “This is Mitch McKenzie. My fiancé. This…” he said to me. “…is my beautiful, but often annoying niece. Melissa.”

I grinned as I shook her hand. “Sorry, he’s been picking up my bad habits.” I smiled at her.

She chuckled. “Well, I hate to break it to you, but he’s always been this way.” Then she grinned at Nick. “Hi, Nick!”

That was the night of our arrival. Nick was bunking with his cousin David and Tony and I were in the guest room.

Tony was taking his shoes off as I was changing for bed. We normally only wore underwear, but since we were guests in someone’s house, I wore pajamas. So was Tony. “Tomorrow, we’ll go over and see Mama and Papa.” He smiled at me. “Then you and I are going shopping.”

I rolled my eyes as I slipped on my pajama bottoms. “Fine.”

Tony rolled over backward and grabbed me down. “It’s going to be fine, I promise.” Then he smiled. “After you meet everyone, it’ll be smooth sailing.” He grinned and kissed me passionately wrapping his arms around me.

I grinned up at Tony. “Are you starting something a little more physical with me?”

“We make love.” He shrugged. “We always do.”

I chuckled running fingers in his hair. “Okay, but you have to be quiet this time.”

He sat up. “I am quiet!”

I chuckled. “Not always.” I pulled him back down bring him close to me again as I shoved his shirt off.

 

The morning came when Tony and I came down to the kitchen. The smell of coffee drawing Tony from upstairs. I spotted a man at the table drinking some as he looked at the paper. He looked up with a smile. In his mid-forties, I gathered he was Al. He had light brown hair. “Tony.” He nodded standing as we approached. Then looked at me. “You must be Mitch.” He offered his hand. “I’m Kathy’s husband Al.”

“Hi, Al.” Tony greeted with a short hug. “Coffee.” He said zeroing on the pot.

Al chuckled. “We stocked up before you arrived.” He nodded. Al looked at me. “He loves his coffee.”

I nodded. “I know. How many cups do you drink, Tony?”

Tony shrugged as he poured his cup. “Three before I go to work and a thermos to work. Then a couple during the day. I don’t know how many.” He did his luxurious inhale of the aroma.

We talked with Al for a while, then he had morning rounds to make. Then Kathy came down and we visited with her a little longer before Tony said he’d call a cab.

“No,” Kathy said firmly. “Do not call a cab.”

Tony frowned. “Mama and Papa are more than a few miles away.”

“And I’m not going anywhere,” Kathy said. “Take my car.”

“We were going into Manhattan,” Tony said.

She shrugged. “Then bring it back when you’re done and take the train when you do. No problem.” Then she smiled. “Louise, Mike, and the kids will be here tomorrow. But you have to see Mama and Papa. Show them you survived.” Her eyes were glinting a little too happy about us meeting their parents.

“Exactly.” Tony nodded. He grabbed keys off the hook then took my hand. “Let’s do it.”

 

When we pulled into his old neighborhood, I felt I was watching the TV. It looked very much like what I’d seen on All In The Family. There were duplexes and single homes intermixed. Most all of those on the street were dark headed and they were Italian. Or Jewish, Tony said his neighborhood was almost half and half. He pulled in front of a house. Then smiled as he pointed. “Here it is. This is the house I grew up in.”

I smiled back. “I showed you mine, it’s only fair you show me yours.”

He grinned, but he was very happy about this. “You want to see it again?” He reached down to his pants. But he knew what I was saying. He was very happy about this.

I laughed at him and stopped him. “Later.” I kissed him. “I look forward to meeting your parents.”

“Mama is Kathleen, Papa is Michelangelo. Or just plain Mike for friends, Angelo for family.” Then he opened his door and looked around the neighborhood. Someone waved to him saying hi, which Tony waved back with a smile. “The neighbors don’t really change much here. They get older, but still the same.” He inhaled. “This is how it should smell.”

I shrugged. “What? No flowers or the smell of growing grass? The rich red earth?”

Tony grinned as he took my hand, and it didn’t seem to matter if you were from the South or the North, you only went to the front door if you were company. Tony went to the back door.

He knocked on the backdoor where I saw an older woman, her hair was done up on her head with gray covering the entire head. A little heavier, but not really fat. She looked up and I saw her face light up. She came to the door, throwing it open.

“Tony! Il mio neonato. Che sei venuto, finalmente!” She said happily hugging Tony and kissing his entire face readily. She’d said he was her baby boy and at last came back.

“Sì, mamma, sono tornato.” Tony chuckled saying he was. Then he pulled away and reached for me. “Mama, this is my fiancé, Mitch McKenzie.”

 

(The rest I’m writing in English. But the conversations went back and forth from English to Italian. I’ll get writer’s cramp translating what was said and what it meant.)

 

She looked me appraisingly. Then looked me in the eye. “Don’t hurt my son.” She said in perfect English.

The way she said it, I didn’t feel threatened. It wasn’t upsetting. It was, believe it or not, assuring. She loved her son and wanted to be damned sure whoever got into his life would be someone that could be trusted with her son’s heart. I said in my best Italian. “I adore your son, Mrs. Delveccio. I would die first.”

The way I said that brought a smile to her face. “That’s what I want to hear.” Then she stepped back. “Come in!” Then she looked back at a man that came in. “Angelo, see who arrived.”

The man was clearly Tony’s father. As I inherited a lot of my appearance from my father, Tony had gotten a lot from this man. Very nice looking and in his late sixties or early seventies. It was Tony’s face with a few lines, but not that many. It added character to his face. he was gray in his temples and that gray streaked through his hair. But he had the same build as Tony and he looked like a man that worked hard his whole life. The man looked at Tony, then at me. “Tony.” He nodded to his son.

“Hi, Papa.” Tony smiled at his father. “It’s good to see you. This is my fiancé, Mitch McKenzie.”

Tony’s father nodded. “A Southerner?” He asked. Looking me over. “I don’t see any…” then he said a word I did not know.

Tony laughed. “That’s shitkickers.” He said to me quietly. “Boots.”

I grinned and looked at Angelo. “Sorry, I don’t wear shitkickers. I can. I have them, but not this trip.”

Angelo’s eyes widened as I said it to him in Italian. “You speak Italian?”

I nodded. “I’m learning, sir. I still have a long way to go.”

Kathleen shook her head. “And he’s doing wonderfully. There’s a slight accent, but he understands and understood!”

The man nodded and was walking away.

“Papa! What do you want? He’s a good man!” Tony insisted as he called after his father.

“He’s a good man! A man!” Angelo said irritated. “He won’t give you children. He can’t.”

“You have five grandchildren already!” Tony said. “One has the Delveccio name. There will be plenty of little Delveccios!”

“Angelo!” Kathleen said sharply. “Stop it. Tony’s home for Christmas. He brought someone important to him for us to meet. The least you can do is give the boy a chance.” I heard the words, but I could sense the humor in it.

Angelo looked at his wife surprised. “I don’t have to take this. You're siding with them.”

“I’m not siding with….” She blew an exasperated breath. “Come over here you old…” she used a word I didn’t know. I gathered it was like codger or geezer. Not something you learned using Rosetta Stone. “..and hug and kiss your son. And greet Mitch like I know you can.”

I was having to bite the inside of my cheek to keep a straight face. Even Tony didn’t look surprised or upset at all. This was a well-choreographed, much practiced and performed dance. “I’m really a nice guy, Mr. Delveccio,” I said hopefully. His father was all bluster, for everyone to see, but did he mean it? Not really. He was not happy, but he was adjusting.

Tony grinned. “He is, Papa. You’ll like him, I promise.”

The father was always the hardest to win over. He turned looking at his son, then me. “Is he Catholic?”

“What do you care?” Kathleen huffed. “You barely are! When’s the last time you were at Mass?”

“I was raised Baptist.” I smiled and saw his face raise up to God for Devine patience.

Tony chuckled. “As a matter of fact, his father and grandfather are preachers.”

Angelo’s eyes turned on his son in surprise. “Are you out of your mind, son!?”

Tony smiled shaking his head. “Not a bit. Do you remember how you received Louise’s and Kathy’s future husbands?”

“Husbands,” Angelo repeated. “You need a wife.”

Tony shook his head. “Had one, don’t want another. Thanks.”

Angelo waved his hands at us. “Fine.” He didn’t smile, but he was resolved. “Come in.”

Kathleen smiled. “You did better than Al or Mike.” She told me.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Families are interesting in how they interact. I'm sure my own interactions with my relatives are confusing since I'm so bad at reading other people's emotions and non-verbal cues (as well as not understanding my own emotions). The rest of my family isn't particularly emotionally expressive either. All of our gatherings are emotionally muted compared with what I expect Tony's family will be like.

 

I have Italian cousins (married in, on my father's side), but they live in Chicago and we've never spent holidays together, so I don't know how lively they get. My (Lesbian?) Aunt's longtime companion was half-Italian, half-German, but kind-of Bull Dyke-y and not the most emotionally expressive (she did make us stuffed artichokes, spaghetti and meatballs, and anise cookies).

Link to comment
On 12/24/2016 07:56 AM, droughtquake said:

Families are interesting in how they interact. I'm sure my own interactions with my relatives are confusing since I'm so bad at reading other people's emotions and non-verbal cues (as well as not understanding my own emotions). The rest of my family isn't particularly emotionally expressive either. All of our gatherings are emotionally muted compared with what I expect Tony's family will be like.

 

I have Italian cousins (married in, on my father's side), but they live in Chicago and we've never spent holidays together, so I don't know how lively they get. My (Lesbian?) Aunt's longtime companion was half-Italian, half-German, but kind-of Bull Dyke-y and not the most emotionally expressive (she did make us stuffed artichokes, spaghetti and meatballs, and anise cookies).

The sad truth was I had more culture shock up North than my husband did in the South. His family was very demonstrative and very verbal. I wasn't kidding about the having to pay attention. There were conversations all over.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I like Tony's mom full of spunk, his parents seem like very good people. I wouldn't mind meeting people like them who know how to make someone feel welcome in their home. I had a neighbor when I was a young kid who was Spanish and from the time I met her she always made me feel welcome in their home. I'm glad that I was living where I was at the time as I gained a great friend who to this day we talk to each other almost daily, he's the grandson of the woman I lived next door to. I hope they have a great time while in New York. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It doesn't make any difference, Italian Catholic or Southern Baptist, it's always the father who has the biggest problem with his son's boyfriend. I think that mothers are easier to get along with than fathers probably because they can express their love for their sons better than can fathers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..