Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,471 Words
  • 4,756 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 17. Chapter 17

We arrived at the MCCNY, as I explained before if I wasn’t with Tony I would be hopelessly lost. I know the city is full of numbered streets, odds one way and evens the other and if you knew where you were and where you were going, just follow the numbers! But I had Tony, so why figure it out? Entering I knew we weren’t in a Church in the South. And it really didn’t feel Baptist at all. Tony had been right about the people that attended here, they did dress a whole lot better. The men here did look like they came off runways. I got the feeling that some literally did, they looked like models. The women, too.

“Tony!!” We heard from across the sanctuary. This person, barely five feet and five inches came rushing over. Female. I think. Just because a person wore women’s clothes didn’t tell you a thing in our circles. She came and hugged Tony which he grinned and hugged her back.

“Hi, Reverend Pat!” Tony said to her.

“How are you?” She asked happily. “You tell me you’re leaving and disappear. Hardly a word!”

Tony protested. “I wrote.”

“No call, three emails.” She shook her head. Then looked at me. “And who have we here?”

“I told you I met someone,” Tony said smiling. “This is Mitch McKenzie, my husband.”

Her eyes softened and her smile grew. “Husband.” She nodded. “It’s about time.” Then she leaned closer to me. “He was a lost soul. It’s great he finally found someone to love. It’s nice to meet you, Mitch.” She said shaking my hand. “He did write, but I missed him. He’s a good man and deserved more than he was settling for. And you love him, right?”

“Oh, yes.” I nodded. “It’s nice to meet you as well.” I smiled. “But we are legally joined as much as we are able.”

“We have a Commitment Ceremony coming the second weekend in June.” Tony continued. “I’d like it if you could be there.”

She thought a moment. “No, I don’t think there are any conflicts.” Then she smiled at Tony. “Just tell me where I’ll be there.” Then she patted him on the chest. “I have a service to do, we’ll talk later.”

This was NOT the MCC in Charleston. The service was nice, but I sensed it was also more Catholic. It just felt different. But the music performed was spectacular. When I said that to Tony, he just laughed and nodded.

“Of course it is.” He pointed to the choir members. “More than half of them perform on Broadway. Different shows, but they sing for a living.”

Sure. A gay man in the theater? Like Tony said about gay men in the hotel business. Imagine that. Naturally, the MCC would appeal to them. They needed God, too!

 

After the service, I pulled Tony aside. “We’re planning this like it’s a done deal.”

Tony frowned. “Is it?”

“We’re assuming Mom and Dad will go for this,” I stated. “Dad has finally accepted that I won’t change. That’s a huge step for him. He’s even accepted you! I’m not sure how he’d feel having everyone in Morgan’s Branch knowing his son was committing to a man.”

Tony nodded. “It could be a problem.”

“He’s a preacher,” I said logically. “He has a church.”

“We’ll ask them next week.” Tony smiled. “Then we’ll make a decision.”

 

It was now Christmas Day as we went back to Kathy’s. They were just getting in themselves when we got there. I saw and heard Nick tell his father he was going to be over at his grandparents after he went over to Jean’s. His mother.

It was later in the room we shared I ventured my question. “Is there something I should know about Nick and Jean?”

Tony looked up confused a second. “Like what?”

I shrugged. “He’s been here a couple of days, but we’ve spent little time with Nick. Or his cousins. I was curious.”

Tony nodded. “Well, have you heard Nick even mention his mother? Does he fly or take trips back here?”

I frowned. “Wasn’t she a good mother?” I asked as we continued to undress.

“She was too young.” He said sadly. “We both were. What happened should never have happened.” He looked at my face must have told him I was surprised. “No, don’t think I regret having Nick, I don’t.” Then he smiled as his mind went back. “Having him was the most beautiful thing that’s ever happened.” Then he grinned at me. “Of course, there’s you, but...”

“Tony.” I groused. “Apples and oranges, you can like them different but still love them both.”

Tony laughed. “I’ll remember that.” Then he sobered. “She just sort of went wild after we broke up.” He said putting his clothes on hangers and putting his pajama bottoms on. “I could never regret him.” He frowned. “The problem was, she did.”

Pulling back the covers I slid in. “She’s not close to Nick?”

He shrugged. “He’s always with me.” He slid in beside me. “He calls her, he goes over a few hours when here, but…not really.”

I shook my head. “That’s so sad. Nick’s a great kid.” Then chuckled. “I mean man.” Smiling at Tony who was now pressing against me. I felt his hand go down my stomach and into my pajama bottoms, his fingers stroked my cock to hardness.

“Do you feel like smelling anything on me?” Tony asked as he kissed me.

I chuckled wrapping my arms around him. “I always want to do that. Merry Christmas, Tony.”

“Merry Christmas, baby.”

 

The next morning was started a little later, but we were back at Tony’s parents. This was like a Sunday, I was told. But I’d already been in one family gathering where everyone spoke without worrying about interrupting or waiting their turn. I did fine. But if I hadn’t learned, or started to learn Italian, I would have been sunk. I was proud that I held my own!

There were no small children now, so there wasn’t the rush to the tree for presents. They started getting the meal ready. There was the ever-present pasta dish. Excuse me, macaroni. I was told they served it with pretty much every meal. It was a side dish for them. I had a long way to go before I would be able like that all the time. I was family, but not Italian. I never would be, but I was going to be as close as I could be.

It was a good thing Angelo and Kathleen had a big and long dining room table. But it was for twelve, we would have been more, but their dining room was only so big. Nick was at his mother’s. Yet we crowded in and did just fine. It just added to the merriment! Then Nick came back during the meal, but not alone.

“I told you.” Nick was saying to a woman I knew had to be Jean. “He’s fine,” Nick assured.

She smiled at Nick. “Do you mind if I see for myself?” She was very pretty. Her coloring was not like most here and her hair was dark, but it was deep, deep auburn. “Hello, everyone.” She rubbed the back of Angelo, who started to rise, as did Tony and I did. “Sit.” She said waving us down. Then smiled at us. “I do miss these family gatherings.” Then smiled at Kathleen. “And your cooking.” Then she looked at Tony. “Nick says you’re doing well, I just wanted to see for myself.”

“I’m fine, Jean,” Tony said.

She nodded. “You look like you are.” Then she looked at me. “And getting married again, I hear.”

Tony did the introduction again.

She smiled at me, but it was pleasant. She wasn’t mad, angry or offended. “Nick told me about you. He likes you very much.”

I nodded. “I like him very much. I’ve grown to love him. He is my stepson.”

“That’s great.” And she said it, and I believed she thought it was great. “These two can be a handful, but I think you’re fitting in here quite well.” Then she looked at Tony. “We’re divorced, I know, but I still care about you, Tony. I just wanted to see you to be sure. There’s no ill will on my part now.”

Tony smiled at her. “I’m fine, Jean. Really. Mitch knows what happen.”

“He does?” She asked surprised.

“All of it.” Tony nodded. “He does.”

She looked at me again. “I blamed him for a while when we broke up and divorced, but then I realized…he is what he is. It wasn’t his fault. He’s gay.” Then she shrugged. “What happened was both our doing. Just take care of him. And Nick.”

I smiled at her. “I intend to.”

Jean nodded. “Okay. Well, Merry Christmas everyone. Sorry for the awkwardness.” Then she left.

Nick grinned at me. “You were a little worried, weren’t you, Pop?”

I nodded. “I was.”

“I’m starved!” Nick announced as he made Drew move in his seat like they were going to share the chair.

“Get a chair from the kitchen!” Drew instructed, sounding annoyed, but he was grinning.

“If you didn’t have such a fat ass…” Nick shot.

“I was here first!!” Drew shot back.

“Boys!!” Kathleen said loudly. Then looked at Nick. “There’s one right over there.”

Then the chaos resumed. The volume level just rose a little.

I laughed as I thought about what had happened on this trip.

“What?” Tony smiled at me the question on his face.

I shrugged. “I met your family, I met your ex-wife and I even met your ex-lover.” Then I kissed him lightly. “It’s been a busy week for me. It’s all just hitting me funny.”

It was wonderful to me how everyone just accepted us, even happy for us. The difference here and back in North Carolina was night and day. I fought for a decade to get my parents to understand. With a few tears and angry words here, it was dealt with and done. Then Erin made an announcement.

“Mom, Dad…” she said at the table, taking her husband Marcus’ hand. “…we’re having a baby.”

Louise literally shrieked with joy, Mike was pounding Marcus on the back. I assume it was in happiness, not for knocking up his little girl, but you never know. The rest of the family was congratulating and giving promises to them about what they needed they’d help. Angelo didn’t look happy about being a great-grandfather, but happy his granddaughter was having a baby. Kathleen just cried she was so happy.

The evening wore on and we cleaned up around ten o’clock and went back to where we were staying.

Coming into our room, I heard Tony shut the door, then he tackled me. He was grinning at me big time. “So, how do you feel about my world now?”

I chuckled as he traced my neck and jaw with his lips. “It’s different,” I said.

He stretched out beside me. “I told you they’d love you. They do!”

I nodded rolling on top of him. “And I’m really beginning to love them. Your nieces and nephews are terrific, they’ll be amazing adults. Your sisters never questioned me, just accepted me. Their husbands, too.” Then I raised a finger. “Now, New York…” I said hesitantly. “It’s beautiful. I like it, but I don’t feel at home here, but you know that.”

“It’s a nice place to visit.” Tony nodded understanding.

“Tony,” I said opening his shirt. “I love you. As long as we’re together, I’ll be fine wherever we are. What you’ve given me, shown me is wonderful.” I looked at him closely. “I am impressed. I hope I convey to you, the money…” I held up my left hand. “…the jewelry and clothes…it’s nice. You’re a very good looking man. You’re smart and funny. I love you. Not all this. Am I making sense? I love you!”

Tony smiled pulling me down kissing me tenderly. “Yea, you are making perfect sense. I know it’s me you love. And that makes me love you more every day.” Then his face lost some of its happiness. “But tomorrow, there’s something I need to do.”

I gathered it would be unpleasant. Then I remembered where we were. The World Trade Center. “I’ll be with you all the way.”

He nodded wrapping his arms around me tighter.

 

The next day we rode the subway toward where the World Trade Center had been. Now it was a massive hole with machines moving in and out as they worked to make it into something else. They were planning different possibilities, but the foundations had to be refortified and ready for new construction. I remained at Tony’s side as looked at where this horrible event occurred. I had no idea what was going through his mind. I could guess, but I knew what I guessed wouldn’t come even close. We stood there a couple of hours before he turned to me as tears were in his eyes.

“I think I can let it go now.” He said softly.

I smiled. “I pray you can.” It was cold out, but I took my glove off my left hand, running my fingers in his hair and he turned his face into my hand. “What I’m going to say, I hope I can say it right. I love you, Tony. What happened here was so bad. But I don’t regret it.” I saw his eyebrows rise and I raised a finger to stop his questions. “Hear me. If this hadn’t happened, you wouldn’t have come South. We wouldn’t have met.” I nodded, I would say it as I saw it. “Your son was going to the college in Charleston, but…I don’t know. What I do know is, when I met you that Sunday. I knew it was going to be important. I could feel it. You needed healing, but so did I! I’m sorry what happened here. But after it did, you had to get away. You came to Charleston. We met and fell in love.” His surprise softened to understanding. “I’m glad you came South. I’ve never been as happy as I am with you. I never imagined I could be. I believe God used this tragedy to bring us together. Our different worlds collided! He brought you to me. I can’t regret that. I will always be by your side, Tony.” I saw a tear come from his eye. “I am so sorry this happened to you. But I’m also glad it did. Do you understand? There wouldn’t be an us if it hadn’t.”

“I love you, Mitch,” Tony said hugging tightly.

I smiled. “And that’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me. Don’t worry if some of it comes back, but you’ve not had a nightmare in weeks! You aren’t taking the anxiety medication. We’ll deal with it as we have done. Together. I’ll help you. But we’re going to start a new year and a new life. We’ll be married, even though we are now, but I promise, we’re together in everything from now on, Tony. I want to be here with you. You’re not in this life alone now.”

This time he cried, but it wasn’t anything like the first time. It was a cleansing. He was purging this event from his mind and soul. After that, he turned, took my hand and we walked away. He never again looked back.

 

We came down the stairs again at Kathy’s, this time our niece was the one to greet us as we were leaving. Melissa flipped on the sofa where she was watching TV and gave a hubba, hubba, hubba.

“You sure you want to marry Uncle Tony?” She asked. “I’d love it if you married me, Uncle Mitch.” She batted her eyes at me.

I grinned. “I certainly do want to marry Tony,” I said kissing her on the cheek. “Besides, if I didn’t I wouldn’t be your uncle, would I?”

Tony raised his eyebrows. “Hey, no trying to steal my husband.”

Melissa smiled her sweet smile. “I’d marry you, Uncle Tony, but we’re related and well…that would just be awkward.” Then she looked at me again. “You’re hot, Uncle Mitch.”

“Oh, and I’m not?” Tony asked.

“You are, but like I said. We’re related, so…it wouldn’t work out.” Melissa reasoned.

Tony grinned. “Yes, it wouldn’t. It just couldn’t work since I changed your diapers.”

Her eyes widened in horror. “No way!” Melissa balked.

Tony nodded and held up two fingers. “Twice. Ask your Mom.” He kissed her on her stunned cheek.

I chuckled and kissed her on the cheek again. “Don’t wait up.”

 

The thing was, when riding public transportation in New York there was a little bit of everything. Old, young, rich, poor and in all races. A rich man rode the bus with poor men. There were those that used limos and all that, but most just took a cab, bus or the train. Tony said we’d take a cab back because it would be late and not as safe. It was our last night in New York for now. It was supposed to be nice.

The other thing was what you wore in New York. I had on my nice suit, as did Tony. But we wore thick overcoats, almost like a trench. I was glad he’d bought one for me. It was very….dressy, but warm. It was freezing! But they lived in it every winter, I could endure it another day.

Phantom of the Opera was captivating! I had to bite my tongue to keep from singing it. I knew all the words. The sets were mind-blowing. It wasn’t Michael Crawford as the Phantom, but the guy that performed it was damned good. He had to be, this was Broadway! Tony kept looking over and grinned seeing me so caught up in the show. We had good seats! We were practically in the middle, but I could see everything clearly!

I left the theater and my mind was playing it over and over in my head.

Tony held my hand as we walked. “Did I do good?” Tony asked smiling as I danced down the sidewalk.

I grabbed him by the lapels and gave him one of those consuming kisses. I didn’t care who saw us or worried if they cared or not! “Yes, you did.” I smiled at him. “That was magic.”

Tony chuckled. “It was.” He agreed.

Then I frowned and hit him lightly.

“What was that for?” Tony asked, pretending like it hurt. He had on a thick coat, he probably never felt a thing.

“That’s for hogging all this!” I waved to the marque that said The Phantom of the Opera. “And all the others.”

He laughed again. “I didn’t hog anything. We shared!”

I nodded and walked on. “Not really. But when we come back.” I turned to him. “And we will. It’s Wicked!”

Tony nodded. “Wicked. Got it.” He saluted and followed me.

“Where to now?” I asked. “I’m walking like I know where I’m going.”

“I’m taking you to my favorite place.”

It was an Asian Restaurant. Not quite a Chinese Restaurant. No, this was fine dining. No one was ordering take out here. Never had a buffet with all that…stuff. The red walls, the red carpet, the oriental umbrellas on the wall, Asian writing in gold. And the music was Asian. I looked at my watch. It was after midnight. This place was still going strong. Diners were aplenty now at this late hour.

“Are they always open this late?”

Tony nodded. “For the after-theater crowd.” Then he waggled his eyebrows at me. “Which now includes you.”

I shook my head. “This would never be in Charleston.”

Tony chuckled. “No, it wouldn’t.”

I reached across the table and took his hand. “Thanks for bringing me here. I’ve had a marvelous time.”

Tony smiled. “I’m glad.” He shrugged. “You showed me yours, now I’ve shown you mine.”

“Show me again,” I said looking at him leering. “When we get back.”

Tony waggled his eyebrows. “I can’t wait.”

 

We told Al, David and Melissa good-bye. Then Kathy drove us to Angelo’s and Kathleen’s. We said good-bye to the rest of the family after promising to stay in touch. Kathleen told me to let me know what my parents said so they could get together for the wedding. Emails were given to me with numbers. I had to swear to send them messages and updates. Then Nick, Tony and I boarded the plane and it was off to go back to the South.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love this family!!!    Why can't my family have characters like Melissa?

 

I first heard Phantom when I was a young lad ... So scary thinking about it as its over 31 years since I bought the tape when it was released with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman. Lived in the north then and couldn't drive so collected all of the records and then the tapes. Favourite one was always 'Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' but only because I was in it when I was in Am Dram. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

This family is the best thing to happen to Mitch besides Tony. As part of the family and he has already set a place with the family, number one Mitch knew that in order to really fit in he would have to learn Italian. Mitch did just that in eight months and then when he and Tony got to New York, the first person Mitch met was Tony's sister Kathy. Mitch greeted her in Italian and she about flipped because he was so fluent, when Mitch met Tony's parents he did the same thing. I truly believe that this couple was put together with a bit of divine intervention, they are true mates in every sense of the word. May they have a very long life together. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..