Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,731 Words
  • 4,560 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 21. Chapter 21

I was waiting for something I had ordered for Tony to arrive. It was going to be fun to see him react. Valentine’s Day was approaching. No, it wasn’t anything romantic, but I thought it was funny. I knew he would. I made dinner for the two of us. Dimmed the lights and waited for him to come home.

When he arrived, I saw the roses and shook my head. “You send me a rose almost every week.”

He shrugged. “I didn’t know what to get you. You’re getting me in two months.”

I kissed him as I smiled at him. “This isn’t romantic, but…” I handed him the wrapped present wrapped in red with hearts on it. “I think you’ll like it.”

He grinned. “What is it?”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re supposed to unwrap it to find out, genius.”

“Okay.” He nodded and began to unwrap the box. Once he got it open, he burst out laughing at the contents. “Where in the world…” He took out the leather case with the badge about the size of a wallet. It was the same sort of thing you saw police flash badges on TV. The badge read Fashion Police. It was a real badge, as in it was heavy, not some flimsy tin thing easily bent. It looked official. Underneath it was a booklet of tickets he could write for violations of color clashes, inappropriate attire for the occasion and unruly hair. It also looked very official like a real ticket you get when speeding or something. “This is great! And I know who I’ll write the first ticket on…”

Then we said it together. “Bruce.”

Tony shook his head. “He’s a great guy, but a ponytail? Really? He’s a nice looking man, but that thing is a few feet long. I’d love to sneak up behind him with a pair of scissors.”

“I hate long hair on a man.” I shrugged. “Just my preference. I like men that look like men to me. Long hair isn’t the look. I would prefer bald to long hair.”

Tony chuckled. “And men with male pattern baldness, but ponytails in the back.” He and I both shuttered. “Eww.”

“And you have to wonder if Bruce owns a pair of shoes.” I agreed.

“Every day it’s sandals. Even in Winter.” Tony nodded. “And those ever worn shorts!”

“I love you, Tony.”

He smiled at me. “I know you do. You know I love you.”

We had another great night. The dinner wasn’t bad either.

 

I felt sorry for Dad. He was getting used to the idea that I loved Tony, but there were others in his family that weren’t getting it at all. And they were giving Dad a hard time. Since we weren’t going to be there in June for the reunion, Tony and I went up another weekend with my parents while Uncle Bernie and Aunt Judy were there visiting with the ones that lived near Derby.

Tony and I once again checked in to the Ellerbe Springs Bed and Breakfast. And we got the Eleanor Roosevelt Suite again. It was while my Dad and his brothers were talking together, not knowing I was walking by when I heard.

“….but it must bother you.” My Uncle Thomas said. “Knowing what they’re doing together.”

“All that touching.” Uncle Calvin said in disgust. “Knowing where they’re putting what on the other.”

“Leave Richard alone.” Uncle Bernie said firmly defending his brother. “It’s no one’s business what they do if they decide to.”

“But he’s going to this…” Uncle JC said. “…farce of a wedding. I don’t care that Mitch loves Tony, but a wedding? That I don’t get. It’s not legal.”

“What else can I do?” Dad asked. “He’s my son. I tried to get him to change, but I can’t! Say what you will, but he and Tony really love each other. I’ve seen it. Anyone can see it.”

“I don’t know what I’d do if Brian told me he was gay,” Thomas said about his son.

I smiled as I came around the doorway, but my anger was starting. “And that’s the issue, isn’t it?” I asked. “What would you do? Kill him? At the very least, quit loving him. He’d no longer be your son.” Then I laughed. “But wait, you can say it, but he’d still be your son. You can’t change that.”

Their eyes looked startled to see me standing there. Dad stood looking more embarrassed about his brothers’ words I had heard. Bernie shook his head also embarrassed.

“They don’t understand,” Bernie said sadly.

I nodded. “I know that. There are things about your children I could tell you that would shock you. But I respect my cousins' secrets about your sons and daughters. There must be something in the water here.” I pondered. “For those that are having the most problems with Tony and me marrying are still living here. Those like Aunt Faye, Uncle Bernie and Dad have gotten out and see things a little differently.”

“It’s just wrong!” Uncle Thomas insisted.

“By whose viewpoint?” I asked. “Based on what authority? It’s everywhere! I was raised on a farm, I’ve seen it in animals. How do you know it’s wrong? Different, yes, but not wrong. We’re not just following instinct. Then again, maybe we are.” I waved my hands. “So, to add more imagines to what you have in your minds already, yes, we do have sex. A lot. I mean he does it to me and I do it to him.” I was getting angrier. “Meaning more graphically, I put my dick in his ass as often as he does it to me.”

“Mitch!” Dad moaned as his other brothers gasped.

“These images need verifying if they’re to be accurate. There’s also a lot of cock sucking, me him and he me.” I said. “Have any of you had your cocks sucked? By anyone? Have any of you sucked a cock? Ever have anything put up your ass? Even the straight world knows there’s more than just waste elimination there.”

“Enough!” Dad said turning red, but he wasn’t angry at me about what I said, but how freely I’d said it.

“Dad,” I said softly knowing his limitations. “Sex isn’t a bad thing. It’s wondrous. It’s a means for two humans to connect on a deeper level. But this family won’t even acknowledge they even know what it is and probably only do it in the dark at night, never knowing it for its wonderful potential. This house was full of children at one time. Dad, you had four brothers that lived in your room. You and Uncle Bernie shared a bed for eighteen years! You two went through puberty at the same time. Did Granddad even talk to you about what was happening to your bodies?” I saw how embarrassed they all were. “He was a fire and brimstone preacher, but he certainly was one thing else he was passionate about, that was sex. And he did it very well. Poor grandma, he made her pregnant all of her adult life! Her poor body! But she delivered all her children were born with no deaths or miscarriages we know of. With Bernie, she’d barely given birth to him and here comes Dad! But granddad was a lousy father. You’ve all said it yourselves. I’ve heard from you. He told you nothing. Not the family’s history or about life. We come from a proud people he never told you about. I did the research, I found out about our Scottish Heritage and Clan and our colors. Come to find out there were a few other of my cousins that also had begun to do research. This family was dying. I’m proud to be a McKenzie, though that seems foolish since I had no part in becoming one other than being born and even that I had to choice about. I’m glad Mom got you out of here, Dad. Uncle Bernie, you should be thankful you got out. But Dad. The fact that you are coming means a lot to me. You’ve said you don’t like it. You’ve said you don’t understand, but you’ve seen us together. You know it’s real. Don’t let your brothers that are still here drag you back.”

Dad shook his head. “They won’t. They can’t.” Then he rose and hugged me. “I have seen it. It is real.” He smiled and grasped my shoulder. “I promise you this, I won’t lose you again.”

I smiled at him as Bernie stood. “Your Aunt Judy and I will be there. So will your Uncle Charles and Aunt Faye. And a whole bunch of cousins.”

I chuckled. “I know that from the RSVPs I’ve gotten.” I looked at my few scowling uncles. “I’ve heard ignorance is bliss, so why are you always so unhappy? I guess ignorance doesn’t always mean bliss. And here’s a news flash, the Earth isn’t flat, it's round! There’s no excuse for ignorance!”

“Let’s go find Tony,” Dad said and walked me down the hall.

I felt sorry for Dad. “I’m sorry, Dad.” I regretted how I’d told his brothers things in front of Dad. “I didn’t mean to cause you embarrassment.”

He nodded. “I know.” He said softly. “But you’re right. The embarrassment is because of them, not necessarily you. This family is severely repressed. My father wasn’t there for any of us growing up. But you know that. And like him, most of my family are sure they’re right.”

“About what?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Everything.” He chuckled. “Your mother straightened me out on quite a few things. Including the fact that I wasn’t right about everything. She only agreed to marry me if I moved away from here.”

I chuckled back. “Smart woman.”

“Scary at times, too.” Dad grinned. Then he sighed. “I still don’t get how you’re attracted to men…” he held up a hand as I was about to object. “It’s the old thinking I still have to deal with. I’m getting there. I’m still uncomfortable talking about…certain things.”

I smiled. “Like sex?”

His eye narrowed. “You are just determined to push my buttons, aren’t you, boy?”

But even as he said it, I saw humor in his eyes. “Aw, come on, Dad. I know what you’ve got between your legs, you know what I’ve got. We both use them for more than going to the bathroom. I was made by you. If we can’t talk about it…”

Dad nodded but raised his hands to me to stop me quickly. “I know!!”

I smiled at him, he was trying so hard. “It’s okay, I’m sorry, Dad.” I put my hand on his shoulder. “I love you for trying.”

Then Dad looked up to heaven. “Why is it so hard?” That’s when Tony came around the corner with David and Michael when Dad practically shouted. “Dick!! Cock! Pecker!” Causing Tony to freeze in shock. David and Michael looked at each other and smiled.

“Mr. McKenzie?” Tony asked quietly. “Is everything okay?”

“No! It’s not!” Dad shook his head. “Why is it so hard for me to say? It’s a body part, why should it be so uncomfortable to say to my son?”

I looked deeper in my father’s eyes. “Easy, or you’ll rupture something.”

David walked over. “It’s okay. Dad had a very hard time explaining the birds and bees to Michael and me.”

Dad frowned. “But he did it, right?” He waved to me. “I never did to Mitch!”

I smiled. “But I figured it out.”

That’s when Bernie came into the hall. “How could we talk about it?” Bernie chuckled. “We weren’t even allowed to say armpit.”

My eyes widened. “No.”

Dad shook his head. “Your….” He hesitated. “…butt was a seat. Dad would threaten to spank our seats.”

“You know Dad had a learning disability?” Bernie said slowly, looking at my father warily.

Dad nodded. “I figured that out when I saw him struggle with the Bible.”

That was surprising. “But he went to school, didn’t he?” I asked.

Dad nodded. “Until the sixth grade, then he dropped out. They couldn’t diagnose learning disabilities then, not out here. I watched him struggle with the King James Bible.”

Bernie nodded. “I think that’s why he kept us all at arm’s length. Afraid to look stupid to us.”

“We were being educated and he thought he couldn’t be.” Dad nodded. “But he’d memorized so much of the Bible, it made sense to become a preacher.”

I shrugged. “I guess so.” Then I smiled. “So, who told you about deodorant?”

Dad smiled. “He did.” He pointed to Bernie.

“I got it from Thomas.” Bernie smiled. He shrugged. “He was putting it on discretely, but I asked him. He was so embarrassed.”

Tony shook his head. “Five guys in one bedroom, you had to see things that you were curious about.” He reasoned. “Like a brother’s erection?”

Bernie chuckled. “Yes, we did see them, but never talked about it.”

“To any of the others.” Dad grinned at his brother.

I smiled at Dad. “Meaning you and Bernie did talk.”

Dad shrugged. “We were often the only ones we had. There were other brothers, but he and I were closer. But it was like the blind leading the blind.”

Bernie nodded coming up next to Dad. “We were friends.”

“But we were both about the same age, developing at roughly the same time knowing nothing, but we compared what we found out.” Dad shrugged.

I nodded. “I’m glad you had someone to talk to.”

Dad smiled sadly. “I’ve apologized before, but know that I’m very sorry for how I reacted to your telling me…” he hesitated on words again but plunged on. “…about who you are. I say again, I knew you were in for a tough life if you were….gay. And with AIDS just having come to the surface, I was sure you were going to die if I didn’t…”

I put a hand on his arm. “I know.” I smiled. “But you’ve almost come one hundred and eighty degrees.”

He nodded and threw his head in the direction of his other brothers. “There are still some other things hidden in this family. Including Thomas’ sexual indiscretion.”

“Indiscretion, you mean he had sex before he was supposed to?” I balked. “When?”

Bernie nodded sadly. “When he was sixteen.” Then he looked away. “With Phyllis.”

“Phyllis!?” My eyes widened. “You mean Aunt Phyllis!?” My mind was not accepting this.

Dad nodded. “He claimed it only happened twice. They were both young. She was only fourteen.” He reported sadly. “And we had no neighbors really, and no one ever talked to us about sex and what should…”

I shook my head. “But that is his sister!?”

Bernie nodded. “It’s one of the darkest secrets in this family. We’re just lucky there was no pregnancy.”

Even Tony was gulping at that news. “Imagine me and Kathy…” he shuddered. “Or Louise!?”

“Please don’t let on we told you,” Dad begged. “He’s very ashamed of what they did.”

“With good reason,” I added, then smiled. “But it helps to deal with his stance about myself and Tony.”

“Our father was not stupid,” Bernie said firmly. “In fact, he was a brilliant man. He could hide his inability to read by looking like he was reading. He could quote the Bible easily as if reading it. He was raised by his sisters after his father died. His mother had died in childbirth. He had no guidance toward manhood. And really, his sisters were a little….” He looked for a word.

“Unstable?” I asked.

“To say the least.” Dad nodded with a smile. “Something they passed to Marjorie.”

I had to admit, Aunt Marjorie was unstable. Borderline on sanity and frequently just nuts. I looked at Tony. “Are you sure you want to join this family?”

Tony grinned and nodded. “Well, there are times I often question your own sanity. But so far it’s been pretty good. It’s not like the Delveccios are all sane either.” He came up putting his arm around me. “Besides, calling it off now….there are invitations to get back and people to call to say it’s off, plans canceled at Biltmore…it would be wasted time done these few months.”

“Pragmatic to the end.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 5
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There was extreme discomfort talking about sex in my family too. (No sex between me and either of my brothers – and with 5.5 years difference between them, it's unlikely that my brothers ever experimented with each other either!) But we had Sex Ed in school (very little content and I wasn't going to ask the questions I really had even though the questions were supposed to be anonymous!) and my father did explain things a little better.

 

We still don't talk about sex even with the evidence running around us…

Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 06:35 PM, droughtquake said:

There was extreme discomfort talking about sex in my family too. (No sex between me and either of my brothers – and with 5.5 years difference between them, it's unlikely that my brothers ever experimented with each other either!) But we had Sex Ed in school (very little content and I wasn't going to ask the questions I really had even though the questions were supposed to be anonymous!) and my father did explain things a little better.

 

We still don't talk about sex even with the evidence running around us…

And what I said about talking about body parts was true. No one ever spoke about the parts of the body. If they had to, it was like I said. The butt was a seat, and never mention penis. Not a pecker, cock...nothing. It was very sad.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Very interesting information about being raised in the very rural deep south. My mother was raised in north central Arkansas and things about sex were never mentioned. I never got the birds and bees talk... good thing I never developed interest in girls young like most boys ;). The closest I got to a girl in my teens was a very brief oral encounter that never even finished... oh well. I can not even dream of trying to tell my family the truth about me even now. Sad I know, but life goes on. I am glad you have your Tony and your family, for the most part has moved into more current times. Great story with a personal content. Please tell us more :)

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 09:04 PM, wenmale64 said:

Very interesting information about being raised in the very rural deep south. My mother was raised in north central Arkansas and things about sex were never mentioned. I never got the birds and bees talk... good thing I never developed interest in girls young like most boys ;). The closest I got to a girl in my teens was a very brief oral encounter that never even finished... oh well. I can not even dream of trying to tell my family the truth about me even now. Sad I know, but life goes on. I am glad you have your Tony and your family, for the most part has moved into more current times. Great story with a personal content. Please tell us more :)

You think I'm done? No way. I've got a few more YEARS to cover.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Discomfort regarding sex is not just confined to the rural south. My partner speaks of chicken dinners where you could have a wing, a leg or one of the other parts; thighs and breasts were never mentioned. On the other hand we slept together in her house the first time we visited without an issue.
I like how you cover tough issues and never lose the humour in the story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 10:51 PM, Rndmrunner said:

Discomfort regarding sex is not just confined to the rural south. My partner speaks of chicken dinners where you could have a wing, a leg or one of the other parts; thighs and breasts were never mentioned. On the other hand we slept together in her house the first time we visited without an issue.

I like how you cover tough issues and never lose the humour in the story.

Hello, Canada! No, it's not just the rural South. It seems to be almost universal, and we shouldn't be so tight lipped about sex or human development. But we are. I look back now and see it mostly as humorous. It's all funny if you look at it. Dad couldn't play an game where you told things about yourself or partner. He would get so frustrated and red faced. It was funny!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It has been such a pleasure reading this story. The characters are so well rounded and interesting. I check several times a day to see if the next chapter has come out. Kudo's to you. Please keep going.
The grammer, punctuation, and layout of the story are on-point. I am impressed

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/01/2017 02:40 AM, TIMMIGON said:

It has been such a pleasure reading this story. The characters are so well rounded and interesting. I check several times a day to see if the next chapter has come out. Kudo's to you. Please keep going.

The grammer, punctuation, and layout of the story are on-point. I am impressed

Next year there is more. So, tonight, we begin the wedding. There is more. A lot more.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 at 3:51 AM, Rndmrunner said:

My partner speaks of chicken dinners where you could have a wing, a leg or one of the other parts; thighs and breasts were never mentioned.

Victorian Britain gave us white meat vs dark meat so they wouldn’t have to say breast or thigh!

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 at 4:30 AM, R. Eric said:

Dad couldn't play an game where you told things about yourself or partner. He would get so frustrated and red faced. It was funny!!

Why are you playing Truth or Dare with your father?  ;-)

Link to comment

I’m glad that Mitch’s dad and mom have changed how they think of their relationship. His dad has come a long way from when he first met Tony and found out about their being a couple. It’s too bad that the rest of the family can’t let go of the bigotry that they have toward anyone who isn’t as as ignorant as they are. I’m happy for Mitch and Tony wanting to have this commitment ceremony to show their friends and family how much they love each other as well as proving their commitment to each other. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..