Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,695 Words
  • 4,210 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 28. Chapter 28

The flight time from Scotland was only three to five hours to Rome. Depending on any delays or other mishaps that is. This time I let Tony sit by the window. I insisted.

We took off leaving my ancestral home behind and headed to Tony’s ancestral home. No meal on this short trip, but got drinks! And no time for Tony and I to rejoin The Mile High Club. We’d do that on the way back to New York. From that moment on, we spoke nothing but Italian. The more I used it, the easier it became. I was told that when I dreamed in Italian, I would have the language enough to be fluent. But I hadn’t gotten there yet. But soon the pilot announced we were landing at the Leonardo Da Vinci Airport in both English and Italian. The Da Vinci airport was west of Rome.

When we landed, we quickly got off and again, we didn’t have to wait for our luggage there either, the hotel was sending transportation. The hotel was getting our luggage. Then we took the ride to the hotel.

“We’re staying at the Waldorf again,” I said as Tony looked around as we rode.

He nodded. “Yep.”

“Just curious as to why that hotel chain?”

He shrugged. “I’m a Club Member. We have one in Manhattan, too. There are perks with memberships, so why not?”

There were words to describe both cities we’d stayed in and both countries. In Edinburgh and Scotland, the word I use was old. But here in Italy, the word was ancient! The hotel was located on the inner circle of a beltway of highway around the city of Rome. We were on the western side of Rome, between what they referred to as Municipio XV, or fifteen if you don’t read Roman numerals, and Municipio XII, or twelve on the west side of the Tiber River, just north from Vatican City. Speaking Italian was not hard, but I had to read things slowly like billboards and signs. The key to use with Italian was, every vowel was pronounced. Like calzones. It wasn’t pronounced with the E being silent. It was cal zo ne, with the E pronounced. So reading I had to say the word in my mind to get some of the words. I saw the sign for Vatican City and saw the distance to there. Again, translating kilometers to miles was time-consuming a little bit. I longed for when I could see the kilometers and just know how long it would take.

“We’re near the Pope!” I said to Tony who was smiling as we rode.

“Yep.” Tony nodded.

“Should we pop in to say hello?”

Tony just looked at me with another are you kidding looks. “He may not even be in Rome.”

I shrugged, loving he was this happy. “He’s not my Pope, so…” I took Tony’s hand which he took readily. “This will be a good visit, I can tell.”

Tony chuckled. “I’m just happy we’re here.” He admitted. “Now I get to show you where I came from.”

I pulled him to me and kissed him. “I can see you as a Roman Soldier or Centurion. In that armor and that tunic with the shield, sword, and helmet.”

Tony laughed at that. “You can?”

“Sure.” I nodded. “Think of all those people coming together, hundreds and thousands that ended up making you. There had to be many soldiers and centurions to make you.”

He chuckled placing his forehead next to mine. “Maybe we can find a Roman Soldier’s uniform for me to wear.”

I smiled. “Why would I want that?” I asked, knowing what he was saying, but wanted him to say it.

“I had you in the kilt, perhaps you can have me as the soldier.” He shrugged.

“You mean I had you in my kilt. Now you want me wearing the soldier’s uniform.”

“Does it matter?” Tony grinned.

We pulled into the hotel’s drive and…well, it was huge! Not tall, but spread out through several buildings, but it was a few stories tall. It was much, much bigger than the hotel in Edinburgh. I saw the fountain out front as we entered the circular drive and up to the entrance that read Rome Cavalieri. It was a modern hotel on the outside. Then we went inside. Again, the word here was also huge! The entrance lobby was just big! I had to look to find the front desk.

We approached the man at the desk.

“Welcome to the Rome Cavalieri. You need to check in?”

Tony was right, there was a little different accent here. But I got it.

“Yes, Anthony Delveccio and Mitch McKenzie,” Tony told him.

The man typed quickly on the computer. Then looked up with a smile. “You have a planetarium suite.” He said, again with sincerity. “I will have your luggage sent up when they unload it. Marco will escort you up.” He pointed to a bellman behind us that seemed to just appear behind us. “I also read this is your honeymoon. Congratulations, gentlemen. Be sure to let us know if there’s anything else we can do for you during your stay.”

I nodded. “This is a beautiful hotel,” I said in Italian. “I’m sure this will be phenomenal.”

The man behind the desk smiled, whether it was because I could speak Italian or my accent, he grinned with a nod.

I had said I wouldn’t balk at what I knew was expensive, but when we walked into our suite. Like Tony was fond of saying. I must have looked like I had seven eyes! I was floored!! It was again…well…there’s no other word! It was huge!! The difference here was this was another word…posh! There’s no other word to use. Okay, there is the word opulent, too. A half bath in the living area…like we’d have guests…and a big bathrooms with the big Jacuzzi tub and separate shower, a huge bedroom with a huge bed. A living room, a terrace on the same floor and upstairs. Yes. Upstairs led up to a rooftop area with this huge outdoor space with a Jacuzzi, a wood deck and a dining area both covered under a roof and one under the sun. The view of downtown Rome was spectacular.

This hotel made Edinburgh seem like a cheap roadside motel in comparison.

Tony looked at me hesitantly. “Say it.”

We’d been together a while, and try as I might, he could read me. “I promised you I wouldn’t.”

He nodded. “But your body is saying it.”

I sighed and lowered my head. “I am who I am,” I said looking over the city.

“But you hate it.”

I turned quickly, almost angry. “No!” I brought him to me. “I do not hate this!” I said firmly. “This is amazing. No one could hate this. I’m just a simple man.” I explained. “Honey, we had a gorgeous wedding. I would have been happy marrying you in our backfield. You know that. I married you!” I said again. “The problem is mine, not about you or any of this. I love you. Just don’t ever forget that.” I shrugged. “Just give me time to…adjust.”

Tony nodded with a smile. “I’ll give you anything and everything I can.” He assured kissing me. “Welcome to Italy.”

I hugged him to me. “Well, you’d better be good at what you do.” I groused, the old me surfacing. How could it not? “I know you are good, but we’re gonna be paying for this a while. So make more.”

He laughed at me. “But it’s worth every penny. Which we will gladly pay.”

 

It was mid-afternoon when Tony suggested we walk around the city near us.

The streets here were different only in how they were constructed was…they were rounded. There were curves but rounded. And I was glad we weren’t driving. Not that I would have had trouble, but…well, I had no idea what side of the road was the correct one. Who had the right of way? I thought Charleston was big on one-way streets, but this part had a lot, too.

I took the camera just in case. And of course, there would be many pictures I was sure. Again, Tony had no problem with being gay or letting others guess about us. His arm around me as always as we strolled by different storefronts and cafés. This part of Rome was pretty.

Tony was telling me all the places he wanted me to see. The Colosseum, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, St. Peter’s…

I laughed as he went on and on. “We’re only here a week.” I reminded.

He shrugged. “Then we’ll just have to come back!”

“And what about Rieti?”

He smiled. “We’ll get there, I promise, but remember, granddad was born here, in Rome. Now great-granddad was born and raised in Rieti.”

I nodded. “I know.”

He shrugged. “I figure that tomorrow we can see more of Rome, then perhaps the day after that we can go to Rieti. But I insist we go to Milan.”

I looked at him curiously. “Why Milan?”

“You said it’s my tell.” Tony chided. “You think I can come to Italy and not go back to the States without some new outfit!? That’s Mecca for those of us that want to look nice. It’s the fashion capital!”

“But Milan’s in northern Italy.”

He shrugged. “We’ll take a train!” Then he bumped me with his hip. “And that new outfit includes you!”

What happened to my jeans and t-shirts? Maybe they have those in Milan, too. I’d have to see.

 

We ended up at a café. The Caffe Portofino. We had pizza! My first real Italian made, authentic Italian pizza! It was very good. Did it have a choice? We were in Italy!

We finally made it back to the hotel. The sun had long since set and it had been a busy day. I woke in Scotland, but we going to sleep in Italy, naturally, I was tired.

I grinned again as I spotted the basket, the champagne, and assorted gift items in a basket on the dining table of our suite.

“Another honeymoon basket. You’ll have me converted to a drinker if this keeps up.” I grinned holding the bottle of champagne up.

Tony gathered me in his arms. “Moderation. That’s the key. I don’t think that will be a problem for you.” He gave me a kiss that was familiar, hungry and consuming as his hands traveled over me. “We’ll make love.”

I nodded. “We always do.” I pulled his shirttail out and my hands went up into his shirt to that wonderful chest and hair there.

We did make love. Me to him, he to me.

 

I woke with the sun coming in our terrace windows. Tony was again in his usual place, spooned behind me, his left arm wrapped around me as he snored lightly. Taking his hand, I brought it up to my face. The ring I’d given him when we married was also where it should be. Then his snoring stopped and his hand moved to close on mine.

“Good morning, my gorgeous husband.” He said softly.

“I didn’t mean to wake you, baby,” I said rolling over to face him.

“We've got a lot to see, but nowhere we have to be at any particular time,” Tony said. “But I need to wake up sometime.”

“So where are we going and how are we getting there?”

He smiled. “Well, for this, I rented a motorcycle.”

My eyes widened. “A motorcycle!?”

“Well, it’s more than a scooter, but not quite a motorcycle. It’ll be easier to get around town.”

“And helmets.”

He chuckled nodding. “And helmets.”

I looked at the tableside clock. “We’d better get dressed then.” I began to get up.

“Wait!” Tony grinned pulling me back. “First, some morning love.” He kissed me passionately, bringing my hand down under the covers to his morning erection.

I caressed his firm erection as his hand came to my own erection. “Okay.” I chuckled. “I suppose we have the time.” I kissed him back with equal passion.

 

Breakfast consumed in our room. Breakfast was breakfast, no matter what country you were in. But Italians liked sweet stuff for breakfast. Pastries and espresso, espresso was a must for Tony. There was also this egg and sausage thing that was baked like a casserole brought in a pan. It was really good.

Showered and changed, we got the scooter. When I saw it, I couldn’t help but smile. It was non-threatening. Smaller than a Harley or Honda, but bigger than a moped.

“Do you want to drive?” Tony asked handing me a helmet.

I chuckled. “I’m fine riding behind you. I’ll play the part of biker bitch this time.”

He smiled. “You’re no bitch. Not mine. If anything, I’m your bitch. Three out of four love making times, you make love to me.” He kissed me as he put the helmet on.

“Sweet talker.” I chuckled as I kissed him back, then put my own helmet on as he started it up. Getting on behind him, my arms went around his waist.

“Hang on,” Tony said as he got ready to go.

“I will even if we’re not moving,” I said back. He had a great back. Hell, he had great everything. Yeah, I was in love.

 

We began our tour around Rome at the Colosseum in Rome. Now that hadn’t meant that much to me until I was there. But when you see it up close, knowing how old it was. You get a new perspective. There were emperors that came here. Gladiators and combat. Of course, there were a lot of innocents killed for sport there, but despite the crumbling ruins, it was the structure that made me feel a lot smaller.

Then we went to the Spanish Steps. This was…well…these stone steps led up to this church, Trinita dei Monti. Below was this fountain that to me resembled a boat in shape, a fountain in the fountain, sort of…with these stone faces of the sun and there were many people there and the steps went from Piazza Spagna and Piazza Trinita. Of course, most were tourists like we were. There were old buildings on both sides. The poet Keats died there in a house on a corner, but I don’t remember which. I wasn’t big into poetry. Don’t be offended if you are. I’m just not.

They loved their fountains in Rome. Then we went to the Trevi Fountain. Tony began searching his pockets.

“You’re looking for?” I asked.

“Coins.” He said smiling. “I came prepared. We’ve gotta toss three coins in, both you and me.” He said digging a few coins out. “Throw it over your right shoulder.” He instructed demonstrating what I needed to do.

“Do I make a wish?”

Tony grinned. “You can, but it’s a rule.” He smiled kissing me. “I know how important rules are to you.”

I shook my head, turned, kissed the coins and tossed it over my shoulder. “Wasn’t this because of that movie?”

“Three coins the Fountain.” Tony nodded. “That’s part of it, but do you know why?”

I shook my head.

Tony grinned wider. “Well, first…it will almost guarantee we’ll come back to Rome. The second is to bring new romance, the third is for marriage.” He said as his arms came around me.

“Then we wasted two coins.” I laughed kissing him. “We have romance now and we are married.”

“New romance can’t hurt and our marriage is still not legal.” Tony pointed out.

“So, the third coin will help make our marriage legal?”

He shrugged kissing me. “It might help. But we will come back, don’t you think?”

I nodded. “I know we will.”

In most ways, things were….well, how do I say this? Scotland was nice, it had things there that was easy to be proud of. But there were things there that were hundreds of years old. But Italy, especially in Rome they had things much older. Thousands of years old.

“Excuse us…” a young man said to us in broken Italian. He was holding the hand of another young man. Both blonde. “Please help us.” He was looking in a book for that read English to Italian Translations.

I grinned at him. “Relax. We speak English.”

The man’s eyes grew. “You’re Americans!?”

“Born and raised,” Tony said smiling.

The other man marveled at that. “Wow, you guys were so busy talking in Italian. We assumed you were both Italians!”

“When you weren’t kissing, that is.” The first man grinned. “Not that we minded watching.”

I grinned at Tony. “He thought I was Italian.”

Tony moved his mouth closer to my ear. “È biondo.” He whispered to me telling me he was blonde as if that explains his natural confusion.

I grinned at Tony. “È un problema perché era nato che. Egli non può farne a meno.” I said the man was born that way, he couldn’t help it.

Then Tony looked at me grinning. “I say you are Italian!” He claimed. “You married me! If for no other reason. You speak like an Italian and married to Italian. You are Italian!”

The first man’s eyes changed to one of delight. “You’re married?”

Tony nodded. “The Saturday before last. We’re on our honeymoon.”

“Awesome!” The second man said happily. “I’m Roger, my boyfriend is Kyle.”

“We saw you guys kissing and all…” Kyle said smiling. “We weren’t sure who to ask, but seeing as you’re both gay…could you take a picture of us? Here in front of the fountain?”

I shook my head. “Only if you do something for us.”

“Sure, I guess,” Roger said.

“You have to do the same for us.”

Roger smiled. “Absolutely!”

That wasn’t bad. We took their pictures, they took ours. We found out they were from California. Naturally. Visiting after graduating and used their graduation money to tour Europe and were staying in a hostel here. Both aspiring to become actors. Again, naturally. And all was good until.

“I’ve never been with a Daddy before,” Kyle said looking at me.

My eyes grew. “A Daddy? You mean me.”

“Sure. You’re hot.” Kyle said as Tony came up. “So is he!”

I shook my head and turned to Tony. “He’s never been with a Daddy, he says.”

Tony’s eyes grew. “Me?”

I shook my head. “No, me.”

“What!?” Tony balked.

“How old are you two?” I asked.

“I’m twenty-two, he’s twenty-three,” Kyle said. “But I meant it nicely. You’re both hot.”

Tony shook his head. “And you were doing so well…” Tony frowned. “Well, sex is not happening with us for two reasons.” He told them. “First, I do have a son almost your age in college, but Mitch is not old.”

I looked irritated at Tony. “You’re not old!”

Tony grinned at me. “Well, he’s not anyway. But neither of us cheat…”

Roger hit Kyle. “You tried to pick them up!?” He frowned. “What? Are we cruising the boulevard!?”

The sad thing was, I found it very funny. “Guys!” I said stopping them. “As much as I’m offended. But not really, only about the old thing. We…” I pulled Tony closer by the front of his shirt. “…are married. We took a vow…forsaking all others….”

“…until the end of time itself. Before God and everyone!” Tony said happily.

I nodded. "So, that includes you.” Then I leaned closer to them. “Besides, he’s an animal in bed.” I saw their eyes widen. “I know you couldn’t handle him.”

“And he’s insatiable!” Tony added hugging me from behind me.

“Just think about this,” I said. “Since I’ve been around so much longer than you have.” I groused. “Think of yourselves. You don’t want to go around all your life picking up strangers.”

“But you’re not strangers now.” Kyle objected.

“Sure we are,” Tony said. “Do you know who I’ve been with other than Mitch?”

“Or who I’ve been with other than Tony?” I asked.

They shook their heads.

“Then we’re strangers,” I said. “But there’s nothing like being with someone you love. I love Tony.”

Tony grinned. “And I love Mitch. And there’s no one else we want to be with.”

I shook their hands. “Look, guys. Be safe. Enjoy your trip. We need to get back to ours.” Then I went back to Italian. “Let’s go, baby.”

“Right behind you,” Tony said as we walked away.

We ended our tour at Vatican City. Okay, so we weren’t entirely welcome as gay men here, but no one threw us out, but Tony didn’t let his arm drop. In fact, he tightened his arm around me when we saw a few priests and nuns look at us.

But Tony did his thing, as in went in said his prayer and lit some candles. Then he got something for his mother and father to take home. By then it was after sunset, so we went back to the hotel.

But to eat in the hotel’s restaurant we both had to wear jackets. Even without the dress code, we would have. So, we showered and got dressed appropriately.

 

In the restaurant, which by the way, way over the top for me, but I just smiled and pressed on. La Pergola. When I get back home, we’re having barbeque damn it! At least a hamburger.

Tony looked extremely happy after we ordered. “We can go to Rieti tomorrow if you like.”

I took his hand. “I’m game. Thank you, Tony.”

He looked confused. “You’re thanking me for what?”

“This has been an unbelievable time. The whole thing. Scotland, now here in beautiful Italy. Rome!” I said. “You’ve been patient with my neuroses about spending money.”

Tony grinned taking my hand to his lips. “You said it yourself. You are what you are.” Then he leaned and kissed me. “And I love who you are. Don’t change.”

I smiled running my fingers in his hair. “You can make bank on that one. I love you, Tony.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

People from LA make California look bad. For most of California's history, LA was just a sleepy little town and SF was where all the powerful and prestigious things were. That's why people who move to LA are so shallow…

 

Italy is also notorious for having governments that change rapidly. They get new Prime Ministers all the time. Their huge debt isn't helping either.

 

I find it amusing that Audi owns Lamborghini, Ducati, and Italdesign Giugiaro. Even though they are all owned by the Volkswagen Group, they're not VW subsidiaries. (Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the original Passat/Dasher, Scirocco, Golf/Rabbit, and Jetta, but he also designed the original Lotus Esprit that transformed into a submarine in a James Bond movie and the DeLorean.)

Link to comment
On 1/8/2017 at 8:33 AM, droughtquake said:

People from LA make California look bad. For most of California's history, LA was just a sleepy little town and SF was where all the powerful and prestigious things were. That's why people who move to LA are so shallow…

 

Italy is also notorious for having governments that change rapidly. They get new Prime Ministers all the time. Their huge debt isn't helping either.

 

I find it amusing that Audi owns Lamborghini, Ducati, and Italdesign Giugiaro. Even though they are all owned by the Volkswagen Group, they're not VW subsidiaries. (Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the original Passat/Dasher, Scirocco, Golf/Rabbit, and Jetta, but he also designed the original Lotus Esprit that transformed into a submarine in a James Bond movie and the DeLorean.)

Good thing we just visit Italy. And what hell are you up? That was sent and it's morning here!

Edited by R. Eric
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I honestly cannot imagine travelling like our two heros do. The Vatican, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps and the Coloseum all in a day! This is really tick box travel. I get it that its more "honeymoon" than serious travel, and so its more about the loving and mutual discovery, but i am sad for what they are missing!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/09/2017 10:32 AM, Canuk said:

I honestly cannot imagine travelling like our two heros do. The Vatican, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps and the Coloseum all in a day! This is really tick box travel. I get it that its more "honeymoon" than serious travel, and so its more about the loving and mutual discovery, but i am sad for what they are missing!

If you've been to Rome, you know these places are basically close together. And while we weren't "tourists", we did go back and see them again. But that was later. Right now they're just enjoying seeing each other and Tony's showing all he can about Italy and Rome to his new husband.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm glad that Tony and Mitch are enjoying the honeymoon in Scotland and Rome. I agree with what was said to the two guys at the fountain that Tony was committed to Mitch as much as Mitch was to Tony and that meant that there would be no way that they would take anyone else as far as sex into the life they had together. They have so much mutual respect for each other that no other person would come between them. I respect them for that reason, I hope if I find someone else to share my life with that we'll have the same respect for each other. Thank you for writing about your life with your Tony, I'm really enjoying reading about your experiences and the trips you take together. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

If you only see the cathedral at tye Vatican it's no problem doing Trevi and Colosseum on the same day, and with a moped the Spanish steps too. But Rome needs at least a week to get all the most interesting places, so coming back is a good idea.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

There is an interesting story behind the word 'posh' In the 19th Century it was fashionable for English people, especially those who had just graduated from college, to take what was known as the 'Grand Tour' from England around the Mediterranean and back home, visiting all the ancient cities of Europe along the way. Because the English were uncomfortable in heat or strong sunlight they were given cabins on the shady side of the vessels for the trip. Their tickets were marked "port out starboard home" this quickly became abbreviated P.O.S.H. then the dots disappeared and the marking became POSH. So the finest accommodations were known as 'posh' and the word thereafter crept into standard usage.  

 

was our on rooftop area - was our own rooftop area 

they were constructed was -  they were constructed

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..