Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,255 Words
  • 3,613 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 42. Chapter 42

I took the forms Sasha needed to have filled out and promised to deliver them in the morning. Then I turned to Sasha. “You need to clean up and change.”

Sasha still reeling over being able to work and stay frowned. “Why?” He asked looking down at himself.

Tony chuckled. “You can go out to eat with us like that if you like, but I’d prefer you didn’t smell like oven cleaner.” Then Tony was frowning. “Where did you get the oven cleaner anyway? We didn’t have it here.”

Sasha nodded with a grin. “It is something my grandmother made when she cleaned. I just made some.” Then he grinned again. “I’ll go shower.”

 

It was at the restaurant we sat and decided Tony and I needed to get to know our friend better.

“Tell us more about you, Sasha,” Tony said. “You are welcome to stay in our home. Say your last name again.”

Sasha chuckled. “Lebedev.”

“And you have a son. What’s his name?” I asked.

“Alik.” Sasha grinned thinking of his son. “He is now six.” Then he brightened and dug in his pocket and pulled out his wallet. Opening it he shoved some photos at us. “Here. He is five here.” He was a very proud papa!

Tony and I looked at a very happy little boy with blonder hair than Sasha’s but had a lot of Sasha’s features on the happy face.

Sasha turned to another picture. “Here we are together.” The picture showed Sasha and a very happy Alik who was frozen in mid-squeal. “That was a year and a half ago,” Sasha said a little sadly. “I’ve not been able to see him since.”

That bothered me. “So, why’d you take the job on the ship?”

“Money. I make more on ship than in Moscow.” Sasha shrugged. “When the Soviet Union’s government collapsed, things were bad money wise. I had joined the marines while the Soviet Union was still in power. Just before it fell.” He shrugged. “I needed work, so I stay ten years. I get out after I meet Tasha and she tell me she’s pregnant.” He shook his head. “It was stupid, but she was a nice woman, but she didn’t love me.” Then he shook his head again. “I didn’t love her, but when Alik was born, I had to….” He thought. “…work to get money so he could eat. This company came to Moscow hiring to work on cruise ships and looking for people who spoke English.” He chuckled. “I learn to speak English from some boys who were from England, America, and Canada. Their fathers were working at embassies in Moscow. My mother clean for them. She would take me when I was younger.” He chuckled again. “I learn from them. So, I take job.”

“And you were great at it,” I said grinning. “But it’s interesting when you sent me messages, they were in English….sort of.”

Sasha chuckled. “We have program on computer on the ship to translate English to Russian and Russian to English. I use that to read your messages and wrote in Russian and had it translated to send. There were words that didn’t translate and I had to guess.” He looked with a frown and then leaned in as if to tell us something confidential. “English letters are hard to understand. So I…” he thought again. “…spell what I think you will understand.” Then he smiled. “But you understand?”

I nodded. “You’re here.”

“Da.” Then he grinned. “Yes, I mean.”

“We know da for yes. That and Net for no.” I grinned back. “That’s all I know of Russian.”

Sasha laughed. “Okay, well, mostly I translate Russian to my friends, I didn’t get much Russian to English. But I got the job!”

I nodded. “Now it makes more sense now, but you took orders on the ship in English and passed it to…other Russians?”

Sasha nodded. “Most working there were Russian and Ukrainian. After a few months we had….words we use to tell what guests want.”

Tony nodded as well. “So this menu?” He pointed to the menu in front of Sasha.

“I see picture and tell waiter what I want.” Sasha shrugged. “I’m getting better reading English, but not quite comfortable.”

“Why do you want to stay in America? Why not go back to Russia?” I asked.

Sasha frowned. “There are groups of men…that get together…to do bad things…” he thought again. “Bratva?”

“You mean mafia?” Tony asked.

“Yes, mafia!” Sasha nodded. “Crime gangs. To make a living you had to do illegal things. They do very bad things. I join the marines to escape them, but Alik is in danger. I have to get him out.”

Tony frowned. “From what I’ve heard they make the Italian Mob seem like boy scouts.”

“Is that the case in all of Russia?” I asked.

Sasha shrugged. “In the part of Moscow I lived and where Alik is, it is. I could move them to another city, but things are still….” He looked for a word again. “Messy? Very dangerous.”

“Messy? You mean chaotic?” Tony asked.

“Yes! Chaotic!” Sasha nodded firmly. “I believe things will calm soon, but I don’t want to wait.” Then Sasha looked pleading to us. “I know I am….depend on our maybe friendship…to do this, but…”

“There’s nothing maybe about it. We are friends.” I put my hand on Sasha’s. “Of course you asked us.” I smiled. “We’ll say it again. That’s what friendship is for. We’ll do all we can to help you, Sasha.”

“Thank you.” Sasha smiled again sadly. “I don’t like doing it, but…”

Tony frowned and threw his napkin at Sasha. “Stop it! We’re doing it gladly. We like you, Sasha.” Then he grinned. “But be warned. Mitch was a cop once. He’s pretty sharp about trusting people. He’s trusted you almost instantly. I do, too.”

Sasha laughed. “I remember badge on figure on cake.” Then he brightened. “But I’ll find place and move out. Promise.”

“No, you won’t!” I said shaking my head. “If you’re bringing Alik here, you need to save as much as you can. You’ll stay with us.”

Sasha was stunned. It wasn’t a request, but a demand. “I can’t do that.” He said in earnest protest.

“Sure you can.” Tony smiled. “You know we have the room. You’re staying. End of discussion.”

Sasha just smiled and bowed a little. “Thank you friends. I never forget.”

I grinned holding up the menu. “Now, see something you might like? I’ll translate for you if you want. They have great hamburgers here.”

Sasha chuckled and said a word in Russian that only sort of sounded like any burger, more like Gamburger with his Russian accent on full. “What? I serve food for years, I know what some things are. I want cheeseburger with French fries.” And then he said in chizburger I frantsuakly kartofel.

“I got the chiz.” Tony nodded with a smile. “Ah, but what kind of chiz?”

“What?” Sasha laughed looking surprised. “It’s a hamburger with cheese.”

“But what kind of cheese?” I added. “There’s mozzarella, swiss and blue cheese…”

Sasha shook his head. “O moy.”

“And the fries, are they ranch fries, sweet potato fries, curly fries…this is gourmet, not fast food.” Tony grinned as Sasha looked more surprised and said something in Russian. I was guessing it was damn. You had to love this guy.

“Why so many choices?” Sasha asked picking up the menu and looked more intently.

By the end of our meal, Tony and I knew there was a lot more to Sasha than Sasha let be known to just anyone and never on the ship. But Tony and I knew we liked him.

 

I delivered the needed forms to Jeremy Carlson.

“I don’t understand,” Jeremy said looking at the papers. “Why are we hiring him? We have plenty of people to pick from in the United States.”

I nodded, but not liking his reluctance. “One, because he has experience working in a five-star restaurant. How many waiters and waitresses can say that around here? Two, because he has a personal need to stay here, to do that he must have a job. We’re giving him that job. Three, because he’s a friend and I asked you to.” I frowned. “Is that enough?” I asked folding my arms across my chest, but I wasn’t taking anything but the answer yes. "Are we going to have a problem? He’s very good, better than anyone here. But you’re judging him without seeing him.”

Jeremy shrugged. “I just wondered why we’re getting the Russian a job, that’s all.”

“As a favor to me then,” I said. “Just see if he’s as good as I say. You’ll see.”

Jeremy nodded. “I see most of it’s filled out, I just need to add my name and address. Is it okay if I see him work first?”

“Do you do that with the others?”

Jeremy nodded. “I have them with a veteran waiter shadow, yes.”

“He’ll be here.”

“He can do it tomorrow night,” Jeremy said. “But on trial. He needs that work VISA to actually work.”

I touched the papers in his hand I’d given him. “Then get busy.”

 

I took the menu home and went over all the items on the menu with Sasha. Told him what each item was a how to spell it using our alphabet. I also brought home the tickets he would have to fill out so he’d see one. They’d go over the computer Sasha would have to use to let the kitchen know what to make. Variations were inevitable.

“But most of all…” I stressed to Sasha. “If for any reason they ask for something, or you see something you don’t understand just ask.”

Sasha nodded. “I won’t let you down. Or Alik.”

I grinned at Sasha. “You won’t,” I said confidently. “If anyone gives you a problem, let Jeremy know.” Then I frowned remembering Jeremy’s reaction to the idea of hiring Sasha. “If Jeremy gives you a problem, let me know, but I don’t believe he will. You’re good. He’ll like that.”

“How will I get there?” Sasha asked. “I can’t drive in America.”

I nodded. “I’ll come back before dinner and pick you up after work. We’ll deal with how you do that after you’ve blown Jeremy’s mind.”

Sasha grinned as he nodded. “I will. Why are you and Tony being this nice to me?”

“We’re friends, Sasha. We really like you.”

Sasha nodded. “This is more than I expected. Thank you.”

“Quit thanking us, damn it,” I growled. “You’re practically family now.” I gave him a playful shove. “Make the family proud!”

And he did. He was by far the best waiter Jeremy had ever had working for him. Sasha even used his lack of understanding about some things in English to charm those he served and they didn’t care! He was charming everyone! The waiter assigned to shadow Sasha gave up trying to keep up with Sasha who moved so fast, I was tired from watching. The guests loved him. I watched him for a while before Jeremy came over smiling grandly.

“Where’d you find him?” Jeremy marveled watching Sasha. “Wherever it was, go get more! He’s fabulous. He hasn’t mistaken a single order!”

I grinned. Sasha was like my child now. I was proud as hell! “Told ya.”

“Well, I sent the paperwork in. It will take a few days to get a reply.” Jeremy said sighing. “Until he gets that VISA he can’t legally work yet.” He grinned. “I guess I could prolong his probation to serve again.” He chuckled and knew he was going to do it. “To make sure he’s as good as he seems.”

I grinned back, letting innocence play. “Of course you have to be sure. But he keeps the money he makes, right?”

“Absolutely. He’s worth every dime.”

 

I came back at the end of the restaurant hours and grinned as Sasha was making sure he gave the guy who had bussed his tables his share of the tips.

Yeah, yeah…he was working illegally on trial probation. But he worked hard! Jeremy thought it was good to try him at different times. Weekends were the worst. This was just to be sure he could handle it. Right. But Sasha breezed through with no problem. I had seen him carry a tray full of loaded plates onboard the Oosterdam, weaving through a crowded restaurant there with practiced ease dodging over waiters, guests with the finesse of a cat. This restaurant was no challenge.

I worried that Tony might think I was spending too much time with Sasha. But he was up to something even I didn’t know what it was. It was two weeks later when Tony got up from the sofa when Sasha came in with me. It was a busy night for Sasha and I wondered why Tony was still up. I was glad he was, but…

“Sasha.” Tony smiled and did that thing with his finger that you didn’t need to translate knowing you wanted someone to come over to you. “I know it’s late, but can you spare a few minutes?”

“Konehno.” Sasha smiled. “Of course.” But you could see he was tired.

I looked at Tony wondering what he was up to.

Tony led Sasha to our computer room. “Sit here, please.” Tony even pulled his favorite chair for Sasha to sit in. Cushiony and soft black leather.

Sasha looked at me puzzled, but I didn’t know what Tony wanted either but sat as requested.

Tony hit a button on the keyboard. Before us, on the two monitors was the shot of the inside of someone’s house. Either an apartment or house, but definitely not in the United States. “Burt, have you gotten him up?”

“Just a second.” A voice came back as there were shadows moving, then the side of man could be seen. Behind the man’s frame, there was a chair. Beyond that was a coffee table and sofa, a stand with a TV with silly noises in the room that said a children’s program was playing. Then the man moved the chair so a little boy could sit in the chair where you could see him. It was Alik! This person Tony called Burt you only saw a man’s side and arm as he spoke to the little boy in Russian. The little boy looked confused but looked into the screen. You could see him clearly and heard all that was happening in the room. A woman went to the TV and turned it off so it got quieter. The figure was of a woman, I didn’t see the face.

Sasha took a deep breath in shock when he saw Alik. A shaking hand reached out to the screen to touch his son. This was live! Then I saw Sasha’s eyes begin to tear as his mouth was open in shock. “Alik,” Sasha said in a voice like a prayer. It was almost reverent.

Tony smiled leaning toward Sasha. “I’m sure you talk on the phone with Alik. I thought you might want to see him, too.”

Burt was directing Alik to see who was on the screen where he was. I don’t know Russian, but everyone knows Daddy when you hear it. I don’t care what language is used. The little boy looked, saw who it was and smiled at the unseen camera, but he was smiling at his Daddy. The little boy was still in his pajamas, hair still messed up from sleeping. It was late here, but it was morning in Moscow. But the boy’s face was angelic as he smiled at Sasha. The boy was now talking more to Sasha, a little more animated as Sasha spoke back. Then Alik was getting excited and went to get something. Then came right back with a toy, apparently, Sasha sent more than just money to his son and former girlfriend. Sasha was now crying more, not bothering to hide it. Sasha smiled as he once again tried to touch his son again. Okay, I was getting choked up as well then! I mean come on, Sasha clearly adored his son! Alik knew who Sasha was and was happy to see him was and now was speaking fast and was more excited as the conversation went on.

Tony touched Sasha’s shoulder causing Sasha to look up. “There’s no hurry, Sasha. Take your time. Talk to your son.” Tony pointed to the image.

Now Sasha was so in disbelief, but crying as he nodded and looked back to see and talk to his son.

I took Tony’s hand and squeezed it as I led him from the room to give Sasha time alone to see and talk to Alik. “You did this? When? How?”

Tony grinned. “I have many clients I’ve made a lot of money for. Some, like Burt, on the screen have contacts in other countries. Russia is one. I had him get a screen and satellite dish put up and a computer so they could see and talk together.” He shrugged. “It has to be hell for Sasha. I can’t imagine what it would be to not be able to see Nick. The things that Sasha has done for his son told me how much he loves Alik. Sasha is willing to do anything for that little boy. Just as I would for Nick. I couldn’t not do this for them. I just had to.”

I grabbed Tony in an embrace so tight, my hands bringing him even closer. Yeah, I was crying, too. But I gave him a kiss that was so heartfelt. “This is the sweetest, nicest thing I ever seen you do. I think you earned your right to go to Heaven with this.”

Tony blushed kissing me back! He really blushed, his heart was involved! “Well…”

“Don’t play like this was nothing. It was a major something!” I insisted. “And I don’t ever want to hear from that other Tony again. The one that thinks you’re a failure! You are NOT a failure. This proves it.”

We sat a while, about an hour before Tony walked back in. “Don’t disconnect.” He said to Sasha. “Ask when we can do this again.”

“Again!?” Sasha asked excitedly.

Tony nodded. “Whenever you want for as long as you want. If necessary, email Tasha and make sure she’s okay with when and it’ll be done.”

I watched as pretty brunette sat in the chair with Alik. She and Sasha spoke and then the screen went dark.

“He has to get ready for school,” Sasha said rising, but he looked at Tony and me. Then grabbed us in a sobbing hug. I felt him kiss my cheek hard and then he did the same to Tony. “Thank you so much! I got to speak to my son! And not just on the telephone, I could see him! You are not just friends to me now. You are the best friends I’ve ever had. I love you both!”

“Anytime you want to.” Tony smiled.

“Why did you do this?” Sasha asked incredibly.

Tony chuckled. “You haven’t met my Alik. My son’s named Nick. He’s a bit bigger now, but I can’t imagine not being able to see him. But I can believe it has to be agony for you.”

Now Sasha hugged Tony exclusively kissing his cheek again. “I owe you everything!”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What did we do before the internet? (I still remember the excitement when we sold our very first iMacs just after midnight on an August night in 1998. I had fun unboxing and setting up our demo model (Apple has long been the very best at packaging). And I was shocked that there was a line outside. For a computer with no floppy drive or ink jet printer available at launch. The computer that jumpstarted USB and translucent plastic USB accessories. And the first iAnything.)

 

A few years later earlier I had a 17 year old young woman working for me in a bookstore. She was so much more mature than her 18 and 19 year old male coworkers! They were both at least half in love with her. But she had come to the US from Russia when she was a child and spoke with only the barest of accents. Obviously, since she was working with books in English (and a few in Spanish), she was very familiar with the Latin alphabet.

 

Immigrants really, really want to be here. They work much harder than most of us. They're driven to do their best to succeed. And they're willing to do jobs the rest of us don't want. And will put up with housing conditions that few of us would put up with.

 

And they work very hard to bring their relatives here because they want them to also experience what we often take for granted – little corruption, generally safe conditions, relatively few restrictions to financial success, wide-spread accessibility to fresh food and water, and overall a much better life than is possible in most of the world.

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment

Oh to have the money and connections to help someone like Tony and Mitch are helping Sasha! What a sweet moment to see Sasha talking with his son.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/30/2017 08:09 PM, JeffreyL said:

Oh to have the money and connections to help someone like Tony and Mitch are helping Sasha! What a sweet moment to see Sasha talking with his son.

wait for the next chapter!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I think it's great that Tony was able to do this for Sasha, it must've been a very welcome thing for Sasha to be able to talk to and see his son Alik as well. I'm sure that the reaction Tony and Mitch got from Sasha after they disconnected from the call was something that they weren't expecting. I'll say that Tony definitely earned his way into the heavenly kingdom just by doing his part in helping another human being with being able to see and talk to his son in Russia without asking for a thing in return. I have a feeling that this wasn't the only time Tony ever did something that nice for someone else and it probably won't be the last time either. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..