Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 2,105 Words
  • 1,511 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 10. Greenwater

The cloak made from the Midnight Stag was ready the same day the boat arrived.

“Everyone knows you are ‘the one’ now.” Thorn laughed at me as I exanined at the garment in his hands.

“Familiar, too familiar.” I muttered.

“What?“ He looked at me. “I’ll pay for it,” he said, handing the coins to the shopkeeper.

“No charge my friends. You brought good fortune to us and our brothers in the other village. No charge.”

We walked down to the dock. The boys were playing easily on the planks. Machaeon, Kjartanei, and Joachim sat talking on some barrels.

“Ah! The great hunter!” exclaimed Machaeon.

“All our stuff is on board,” Joachim said happily. “The captain is finishing his business. He said we can leave within the hour.”

“That’s good news for Kjartanei here,” Machaeon said with a smile. “Milder weather will be better for him.”

“You seem especially happy today Mach…” Thorn began.

“I’m going home! I’ve been away a long time. Much longer than I had expected.”

~ ~ ~

“Wow!” Gibbous said seeing the small city rising before him across the water. Crescen jumped up and down next to him at the ship’s rail. The rest of us stood by making our own assessments. The boat had taken its time to arrive and everyone was happy to see our destination. I was more than happy to put the cramped quarters behind us.

“How big is this place?” Gibbous wondered to Machaeon.

“It’s a lot larger than your village,” Machaeon said before continuing to us. “Greenwater is mainly a trading and fishing port. One of the few stops to connect both sides of the world.”

“We heard of Greenwater when we arrived at Shield Keep,” Kjartanei said lost in thought.

“They trade and will trade with nearly anyone. As long as you pay, the locals will love you.” Machaeon added.

“Sounds like Parrot Bay,” Thorn said.

“I don’t know anything about Parrot Bay, but I know that it is the last stop before home.” Machaeon laughed.

“I thought this was your home?” Gibbous asked.

“Not quite…” Machaeon hesitated. “See those mountains behind the forest? I come from a place inside the valley. Home is Stag’s Pass.”

“How far?” I asked with some exasperation.

“A day.”

I looked at Thorn, who only shrugged. Joachim was grinning back over his shoulder.

A number of ships were docked haphazardly along the piers. There were a great number of people milling around doing their business. Once close enough, a man in a green cape hailed our boat and pointed to a place to tie down. We were greeted at the slip by the same young man and a team who helped secure the boat. After a short conversation between the man on the dock and the captain on the ship, we were aloud to disembark.

“What was that all about?” Joachim asked Machaeon.

“That man,” he said pointing to the one in the green cape. “Is one of the dockmasters. He was deciding if we would be aloud to disembark or not.”

We all looked at Machaeon, who laughed. “Ok, ok, more like trying to determine intention or whatever. Hardly anyone is denied entry.”

The final planks were in place and we lugged our belongings onto the dock.

“Do you need directions or help finding anything?” the green caped man asked.

“No thank you. Good day dockmaster. Boys, don’t wander, this is a big city.” Machaeon led the way down and into the town nodding to another man in green capes who didn’t seem to notice.

“Where are we headed?” Joachim asked.

“It is too late to try to make it to the Pass. We can head out in the morning. There is an inn I know. They don’t ask questions and will leave us alone. I think you will find that the case just about everywhere here.”

Joachim held Gibbous’ hand and chattered with Machaeon as we went. Thorn guided Crescen and talked. I followed behind keeping my opinions to myself. A few people would look but would politely continue on. I could not tell if I was being paranoid or not.

At last we made our way to the inn.

The innkeeper greeted Machaeon with familiarity and the rest of us cordially. Two rooms were available so we split up: Machaeon, the boys, and Joachim in one, Kjartanei, Thorn and I the other.

Meeting back down in the main room, Machaeon said he was going to gather some supplies and arrange transport for the morning. We decided to walk around in the city and see the sights.

The town was set in a semi-circle around the cove with roads splintering out away from the water. Before long we had rounded the small waterside curve and decided to stroll in deeper away from the docks before walking the winding streets back. The shops and homes farther away from the water were smaller and more compact.

“There does not seem to be a central market, just some roads are wider than others,” Thorn observed. “And everything is mixed together.”

“I like it. It reminds me of Swordblade, Joachim remarked. “A little of everything everywhere.”

“Seems a little like Parrot Bay, less chaotic though.” Thorn looked around casually.

“What’s Parrot Bay like?” Joachim asked. I looked down at him for a moment and thought about how young Joachim really was.

“Well, you have to be on your guard…” Thorn said with a smile.

“And watch your money…” Kjartanei added swiftly bringing laughs among the three before they continued walking and talking about places they had been, much to the delight of the boys, who had not been anywhere at all.

I proceeded silently, just a step behind. The city was just a city to me. While I didn’t worry about not wearing my full armor, I did worry about my purse.

“I’m hungry, Gibbous announced with Crescen nodding in agreement.

“Let’s find a place to eat.” Joachim looked around. “I think we passed a place on the dockside. It looked alright for all of us.” He nodded at the boys.

We made our way back to the waterfront and came to the sign that Joachim had remembered.

Bartholomew’s - Good Food

I shrugged and followed the others in, hoping that the large room with so many empty tables was not a bad omen.

We had barely sat down when a rotund man scurried over to us. “Welcome ta Bartholomew’s good friends and little sirs. What can I get for ye’s?”

The rundown of our choices was quick and the man ran off to get the food out.

“Seems nice enough,” Kjartanei said observing the furnishings.

“He called us ’sirs’” Gibbous giggled to Crescen.

A short time later the waiter brought out plates piled high with food.

“We don’t believe anyone should leave hungry,” the waiter said proudly before moving away from the table. Much to my surprise, the food was good.

“Excuse me, sir,” Thorn asked when the man returned with more ale.

“Barth, just call me Barth.”

“As in Barth-olomew?”

“That’s me.” Barth grinned widely.

“Well, nice to meet you, Barth. Um… I don’t mean to sound rude, but why is this place so empty? I mean, the food is really good.”

“Thank ye. Tis early ya see. Late in ta eve’ning, ya come back.” He looked at Gibbous and Crescen. “Without the little sirs ya see. Gets rowdy sometimes, oft rough too. Sorry, little sirs. ” Barth winked again and went back towards the kitchen.

“We gotta come back later!” Joachim laughed out loud.

After thanking and paying Barth we walked along the dock and back toward the inn. Machaeon was waiting by the fire.

“How was the city?”

While Gibbous and Crescen played with dice in front of the fire, Joachim filled him in about the day and how he wanted to go back later. Kjartanei and Thorn said they would go too. Machaeon chuckled and reminded them not to stay out to late because he had secured a few horses for the trip into the pass. We could leave in the morning.

After some more talk, it was decided that the boys should go to bed and I would stay behind. The rest would go back to Bartholomew’s.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come? I could stay here instead.” Thorn asked me quietly.

“You go. Have fun.”

“Come on boys, we have a long day ahead,” Machaeon said shooing them up the stairs.

“We won’t stay out too long,” Thorn said following the others out the door.

I sat alone in front of the fire.

“You need anything?” the innkeeper asked. I shook my head. “If you do, bang on the door under the stairs. It will take a minute, but I will get there.” He left, quietly closing and locking the door behind him.

I sat for some time watching the fire. I wondered about back home. Had the war spread to the village by now? I wondered about my brothers. How many were still alive? Someday I might go back to see, then again: why bother? That place was not home anymore. No place was. The only place I felt at home now was with Thorn.

I was awakened by a gentle tug on my hand.

“Are you awake?” Gibbous whispered. “I couldn’t sleep. Can I sit with you?”

I nodded again and began to gesture to the chair opposite. Gibbous crushed into the chair with me before I could protest.

“Do you know anything about where we are going?”

I shook my head.

“Mach says it’s what is best for me,” he said looking down at his belly. “Do you think so?”

“Machaeon is the doctor.”

“What if I don’t like it?”

“Don’t know.”

Gibbous thought for a while. “If we don’t like it… will you take us back?”

It was my turn to pause. I looked down at the sad and scared face. I wondered what my sons would have looked like.
“Yes.”

“You mean it?”

I nodded and rested my arm around Gibbous. I could feel him relax. We looked into the fire. Machaeon and Thorn would know what to do when the time came. It would be fine.

The fire was low and warm. It was not long before I realized Gibbous was sleeping curled up to me. Not wishing to disturb him, I relaxed back and let myself drift off as well.

~ ~ ~

Gibbous and Crescen would switch who they rode with whenever we would stop. Currently, Crescen sat behind Kjartanei and Gibbous with Joachim. Thorn and I hung back a little.

“Is your back better?” Thorn asked in our native language.

“Better.” Sleeping on the chair had not been the best idea. “Your hangover?”

Thorn chuckled. “Better, yes. Thanks for not rubbing it in.” Thorn continued to giggle softly before holding his head. “Joachim really put it back. I couldn’t keep up with him. Kjartanei didn’t even try, I think he didn’t want a repeat of Parrot Bay.” He rubbed his neck. ”I think I may be getting to old for that too.”

I grinned. “Your head. My back. We are old.”

Thorn laughed. “Not yet. You got a few more years with me.”

I smiled.

We slowly made our way on to the passes into the mountains. I could not help but feel vulnerable to ambush. I watched the tops of the cliffs around us for bandits. I heard the approach of horses before I saw them. I kicked my horse forward with my sword drawn. Machaeon called to me.

“Greenwater Patrol. See the green capes?”

It was a group of about a dozen. They hailed us and slowed down. We met at a wider part of the pass we were currently in. The leader saluted.

“Good day.”

“Good day,” Machaeon answered. “How are the trails today?”

“Our territory seems clear. No word on the upper valley or the pass. You on your way through?”

“Yes.”

“I don’t think you will have any problems as far as the bend. Careful going beyond. If you are going that way, that sword of yours may come in handy.” The man looked at me and I put my sword away. I heard at least one other weapon being put up in addition to mine.

“Thank you sir. Good riding.” Machaeon nodded.

The leader saluted. They began to slowly filter past us.

“Well that is good news,” Joachim said with relief.

“Can we stop for a moment?” Gibbous’ face reddened.

“Again?” Machaeon asked. His face betrayed his amusement. “Go on. Behind the outcropping.”

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..