Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,174 Words
  • 1,285 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 31. It Runs Deep

“Stay with me, stay with me…”

My stomach lurched. I felt like someone had kicked me hard in the belly. Water started coming out of my mouth. Hands grabbed on me and pushed my head over something.

“There you go. Good, good...”

The hands rubbed my back and side, hard and steady. I opened my eyes in the darkness. My head and shoulders were over the side of the boat. I continued to vomit water up out of my chest over the side into the water from whence it came.

“Get it all out my friend,” Leaf whispered next to me. His strong hands rubbed my shoulders firmly.

I closed my eyes and finally was able to breathe again. I huffed in and out, my eyes closed, while I rested my cheek on the cool wood of the boat rail. I could still feel Leaf massaging my neck and side.

“He’ll be good now.” It was Fin. He was behind me. I heard the flap of a sail. Neither of the boys spoke.

“Too much water is all. Had to get it out.” Fin’s voice was reassuring.

I opened my eyes again and regretted it. I threw up additional water, and more, this time. The rocking of the boat did not help.

The sky was dark. Clouds covered the stars.

I heard a groan near me. The hands left my neck.

“I can’t reset it here. When we land I can. Try and sit still and not put pressure on it. Here.”

I rolled my head back and could see Leaf adjusting Foal’s leg and Foal grimacing hard. Horn was either passed out or asleep. Fin was standing with his hand on the wheel. The sail moved again.

“How are we doing Fin?” Leaf called over to him.

“Safe for now.” Fin was scanning the dark waters. “We should make the cove by dawn.”

I was too tired to protest. I leaned back fully against the side of the boat. I was not long before I started to shiver. My wet clothes began to feel like ice.

I felt Leaf’s hands rubbing my arm briskly trying to give me some heat.

“I know, it’s cold. Here.” He threw something heavy over me and I felt his warm body next to mine.

“Stay with me, stay with me Talon,” he whispered. “You will feel better in the morning.”

In spite of everything, and my misgivings of our destination, I felt better almost immediately and fell asleep.

 

~ ~ ~

 

Dim sunrise on my face woke me.

I blinked my eyes open to the sun breaking on the water. I turned to see the others sleeping around me. Fin was the only one awake. He stood at the wheel looking exhausted. He smiled and nodded his head beyond me.

I rotated my sore neck to look where he had indicated. We were approaching land quickly, the colors of other boats’ sails coming our way.

“The men are on their way out for the day. I’ve enough of the sea for now.” Fin winked at me.

Our destination popped into my head. It would be a dangerous especially with the injured in tow.

“Any problems? For Us?”

“Naw,” Fin laughed. “We don’t trust anyone.” He chuckled a bit longer to himself.

When we got closer and the outbound boats began to go by, I could see Fin was using different hand signals to some of them and heard the accompanied whistles.

“We there?” Leaf stirred beside me.

“Just,” I mumbled.

“Where?” Foal moaned.

“Bastard Cove,” Leaf replied with a yawn.

“Isn’t that a pirate port?!” Foal was wide awake now.

Fin laughed. “Well, why not! Yes! And we like to keep it that way.”

Foal looked at me and grimaced when he turned his leg. I shrugged back. Leaf turned and held him still.

Fin dropped sail and coasted us into one of the docks easily. I helped him tie off the boat while Leaf prepared the boys. Before we were done, a few men had come down the dock. I was prepared for the worst until I saw how Fin greeted them. Hands and smiles all around.

Leaf and I helped Horn and Foal onto the dock. We waited patiently for Fin who was talking excitedly to the men.

“Sorry. They were asking about the cliffs and some of the others out that way. Come on follow me.” Fin helped Horn while Leaf and I partially carried Foal.

There was a mixture of people. The majority seemed of the same stock at Parrot Bay or Deep Channel. Bulls and former-Bulls were among the general populace. Still, we got plenty of looks crossing in and through town, mostly curiosity it seemed. Injured persons always get extra glances. We turned into a lane with homes crowded together. A boy and girl came running out of a doorway and grabbed on to Fin.

“Daddy! Daddy!”

“Careful now,” Fin chuckled. “We have some guests who don’t feel all that good.”

The two, suddenly aware, looked among us and became went shy.

“Here,” he dug out a coin from his pocket and gave it to the girl. “You go to Mister Riggers and bring back one of those Black Ales he can’t seem to sell enough of, alright? Off you go now.”

The pair scampered off.

“Come now. Let’s see if the missus is home.

Fin’s wife Meg took charge as soon as we walked in the door and without any hesitation.

“You take those two to the boys’ room. The kids can all sleep together tonight.” We followed Fin up a small flight of stairs and round a corner into a small room with two beds. There was not enough space for all of us to be inside at the same time. I stood crushed against the wall while Meg directed everyone.

Finally settled, the adults came back to the main room and fire.

“We should try resetting the leg as soon as we can,” Leaf said before yawning.

“Then off to bed for you lot too,” Meg added with a smile.

The boy and girl came in with two other children.

“Best be getting started then,” Leaf took up the skin and headed upstairs.

“Talon, these are our children…” Fin started. I did not even try to remember the names, I was too tired. The excitement over with, they forgot us and busied themselves at the table with dice.

“Here, give me your wet things, I will hang them to dry,” Meg ordered kindly and firmly.

I handed over my cloak and shirt and boots. She handed me a cloth to dry myself further.

Leaf came down and handed me the skin. “Your turn.”

I took a swig. It was not that bad, only strong. Leaf and Fin laughed.

“For Foal!”

I grinned, took another mouthful, and headed upstairs.

Horn was awake. I offered him some, but he only shook his head. I crouched next to Foal. His eyes were already dilated.

“Go to Petal. I can’t...” A tear streamed down his cheek. I nodded and pushed the skin into his mouth. He swallowed dutifully. “And Mane.”

I nodded again and continued to help him get more inebriated.

“How you doing?” The now familiar touch on my shoulder.

Foal burped. He was ready.

“Ok, then.” Leaf smiled down at us.

 

~ ~ ~

           

I leaned against the wall while pulling off my still moist pants and under armor. The stone felt good and warm against my back due to the fact that it was the rear wall of the fire place.

A single candle lit the room. Only a chair and a single large bed in a very small space. Leaf had disrobed and crawled in and to the far side against the outer wall. His clothes lay on the seat of the chair. I hung my pants and things on the back and crawled in beside him before I blew out the candle.

“Tomorrow, we can find transport to Arrowpoint for you. Your mission seems urgent.” He paused. “At least it seems that way to Foal.”

It was more urgent now. Although there was no set timeframe. The dealings in Arrowpoint, shouldn’t be put off. With the news of the rebellion in the Cliffs, who knew what they would think. The entire adventure had been ill planned to begin with. It was my own fault.

“They safe here?” I asked into the darkness.

“Safe as any place. Fin’s been a good friend for years,” Leaf said. “He’s carved out a nice life for himself and his family here.”

It was hard to imagine a family like Fin’s in a war zone or armed encampment. The reputation of this place seemed very misleading. The kids had run in and out of doors most of the day. They appeared to be safe and happy. Leaf had confidence in Fin. Fin had helped save us and had brought us directly to his own home. They would be safe. If Mane and Petal would come, they would be safe too. Maybe this was the place for them to stay, as unlikely as that was. Once we could bid our farewells to Colt, we could be on our way back here. Maybe even Colt could make the trip too.

I fell asleep fitting puzzle pieces together in my head.

I woke up again. I had not been sleeping well. I had a headache and felt sore. I had been sweating as well, but I thought that was from the proximity to the wall of the fireplace. They must have been stoking it all night. Cracks of light showed in the door.

I felt Leaf move next to me then he breathed out and I heard him yawn. Without warning I felt his hand on my shoulder. I was about to move when it left me. I stood still. His hand found its place on my forehead and it rested there for a few moments before leaving again.

There was shifting and movement on the bed. He was moving towards me. I felt his leg next to mine and then his arm. I froze where I was. His leg crossed mine and one arm crossed my chest to my other side. Something grazed my private area.

Then suddenly, his second leg and arm scooted over me and he had passed. I felt the covers tucked back and I chanced a squinted peek into the dark room. I heard shuffling and could see his shadow pulling on its pants. The door opened slightly and he edged his way out before closing it.

My imagination had been getting to me. Between the near drowning and the poor sleep over the last few days my grip was not as solid as normal. I needed more rest and all would be fine again.

I rolled on my side and tried to sleep.

 

~ ~ ~

 

Leaf pulled his hand away from my forehead.

“Well you’re right, you seem to have broken the fever.” He frowned. “But I still don’t think you are well enough to travel.” He crossed his arms.

The boat to Arrowppoint was leaving soon and I needed to get going. I picked up my things. Meg handed over the package of food she has just wrapped up. She was the only one who seemed to realize my mind was made up.

“You all go out and play,” she scolded the children out of the house.

“Talon, please,” Leaf tried again, “if you get sick on the way, what are you going to do?”

“Not going to.”

He crossed his arms harder. I went up the stairs and into the room with Foal and Horn.

“You going then?” Horn asked.

I nodded my head.

“I thought Leaf would talk you out of it.” He chuckled a little and then held his head.

I shifted to Foal. He looked terrible. His injuries and the cumulative hangover had taken a toll.

“Please,” he moaned, “let them know. I will follow…”

“Stay here. Do, not, leave.”

He looked up and pouted.

“They will come.”

He nodded.

I put my hand on his shoulder and he nodded again.

“We will take care of him,” Horn said.

“No you won’t,” Meg crowded in behind me. “He will be fine. Me an Fin will look after him till you get back.” She smiled. “You best be off now, Leaf is waiting downstairs.” Her eyes sparkled oddly.

I shook Horn and then Foal’s hands, nodded to Meg, and went back down.

Leaf was fully dressed for travel. I looked him over. His smile grew large.

“You didn’t think I was going to let you go, all on your own, sick, did you?”

I shook my head, but could only smile back. I was not the only stubborn one. I did not feel nearly well enough to argue nor was I not going to let him know that. The company would be nice. I gestured to the door.

We walked out and down to the dock. And arrived as the final calls were being made and the ropes were being loosened. We hopped on, found the first mate, and made payment. I went to pay for Leaf and he pushed my hand aside and paid for himself.

We settled in on the deck, under a tarp, and made ready for the next hours. We watched the boats coming through the harbor. I watched for Fin’s sails but didn’t see them. I supposed he was under pressure to get back to work after the time away he had spent with us. I would need to find a way to repay him too.

Once we had got out into the open sea, my stomach and head began to suffer. I napped on and off.

Time blurred.

It seemed every time I woke up, Leaf was watching me. The looks of concern would transform into a broad smile across his face. It had become apparent to him that I was sick. I was determined to not let it show.

We sailed into the night. Under cover of darkness it was easier to hide my discomforts. When Leaf finally fell asleep beside me, I was relieved and able to slumber more soundly.

The early morning brought the same as the previous day. For me it was no better and no worse. The watchful eye of Leaf was never far away.

Deep Channel came into view before midday. One of the crewmen said we would only dock long enough to trade out some supplies, an hour or two at most, before heading the rest of the way to Arrowpoint. We would arrive there after nightfall.

In spite of my head and Leaf’s frowning smile, we disembarked to stretch our legs.

The little city was busy. It was another place where most anyone could come and go within sight of enemies and not be expected to or obliged to do something about it. Trading was king. Still, everyone’s guard was up and many wide berths were given. One wrong word was all that stood before a killing. Still, everyone here was in the same boat so there was a certain reluctance to be the first to pull a sword.

We walked into town and stopped at a shop where Leaf wanted to buy some herbs. The man was nice enough, but his glances slid back and forth between us often enough that even Leaf felt the need to ask.

“Everything alright?”

The man nodded and produced a mortar and pestle. Leaf ground some things, mixed the powder into some water, and handed it to me. I drank it dutifully and handed the empty mug to the man. We turned to leave.

“Sir, um… sir…” The man beckoned us back to the counter and away from the door.

“Going on to Arrowpoint, yes?”

We nodded.

“You might not know, the word is so new, but there has been trouble between your tribes.” He looked back and forth between us. “It’s spread there.”

My heart sank in my chest slightly. I had hoped we had outraced it.

He looked directly at Leaf. “I am afraid that you and your kind do not seem to be all that welcome in Arrowpoint way anymore.”

Leaf looked down.

“Makes no mind to me. Friends are hard to find, but you don’t want to get… hurt… for that.”

We stood in silence. Of course bad news traveled faster than us. Word of that kind moves faster than the wind.

“Why don’t you all stay a day or two and catch a ship to Parrot Bay instead? Or when the ship returns from Arrowpoint, hop back on and travel back towards Bastard Cove? We hear there are opportunities opening up out in the tundras too.”

Leaf nodded.

“None of my business. Trying to be neighborly is all. Hate to see anything happen without at least warning you fairly.”

I went and sat on a barrel near the window to think. They talked in lower tones. I tried to shut out everything. I was not dependent on Leaf, but in the short time we had spent in each other’s company, he had grown on me. I had been prepared to go on this trip alone in the first place. He was the one who insisted he come this far. I did not want to risk him harm after all the things he had done for Foal and for me. If he really wanted to help, he could go back and see to Horn and Foal. I didn’t know what he wanted to do. I didn’t know why he was helping me to begin with.

He crossed over to me and touched my shoulder. “Talon?”

I looked up at him. There was concern once more.

“Do you want me to go on with you?” It was a genuine question. If I said yes he would take his chances and come with me. I could see that.

I shook my head.

“I can wait here then. He has room in back. When you return we can head to the cove.”

I shook my head again.

The surprise and disappointment were visibly etched in his face.

“Go back,” I started. “Next boat. Care for Horn. And Foal.”

He nodded slowly.

“Will you be alright? I worry about you my friend.”

I believed him. I nodded. “Yes.”

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..