Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,297 Words
  • 878 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 37. Too Surprises Too

Before long a rough path appeared, it wove up into the trees. The slope was deceivingly steeper than we had thought originally. Only our excitement kept us moving forward and up.

Without warning, we were surrounded by men. Nearly all had weapons trained on us.

“Stop and show yourselves strangers.”

We looked at them. They were in matching robes, but did not look like soldiers.

“Your hands, please.”

Leaf held his out forward, I let mine hang down within reach of my sword.

“We are of the Artifex Pater. Do you come for him?”

We were dumbfounded for a moment. Leaf finally spoke for us.

“We have come to see the rock of creation… we thought it was welcome… to everyone…”

“It is.” He nodded and the men lowered their weapons. They remained attentive and alert. “We can escort you to the place in the morning.”

I looked up to the sky. Maybe. It all depended on how far we still needed to go. Leaf had different ideas.

“Do we need an escort?” He frowned. “I mean, I always thought this would be a… sacred and solitary experience?”

The leader only shook his head and nodded to the others. As a group, we worked our way up the path. Without warning we came around a bend to a large structure for the guardians of the place and an even larger contingent of men. I did not like this one bit. I put on hand on Leaf’s arm to pull him back and was about to go for my sword.

“Talon!” A large figure burst through the line. He stopped close enough for me to rethink drawing my weapon. I saw an old face, but one I knew.

“Blade…” I said less as a question but more as a confused statement of fact.

“My brother!” He crossed and embraced me. I was unsure of how to feel, but I knew I would not cry in front of all these men.

Blade turned round to address them all. “Brothers! Welcome my own brother Talon come to find me after all these many years and his companion…”

“Leaf.”

“… Leaf. Welcome them as your own, welcome them as you would welcome me!”

All tension released in that one moment and every weapon disappeared into the folds of cloaks.

“Come, we must break bread together after all these years. Come, you are welcome.”

We followed Blade into the building and sat with him in a large, mostly empty common room. Bread, fruit, and ale was brought and we ate as Leaf and Blade spoke of the last few years. Indeed, only of the years Leaf had known me.

Blade listened with interest, even of the times that did not include me directly. The outside world was foreign and fascinating to him. He had been gone from it for so long, every detail was one to savor.

For his part, Blade had far less to tell. He was now considered one of the elders with enough authority to command everything from worship to war. The community of brothers was roughly the size of a small village and he was highly respected.

I walked out one of the archways and out on to an overhang of sorts. Leaf followed with Blade. I stood on the edge and looked down into the shallow valley. The rock of creation sat in the center. It was easily recognizable from its position in the middle of the clearing, trees grew thick well beyond the site on all sides.

“I cannot believe we are here,” Leaf whispered.

“We can go down to the rock tomorrow and you can actually feel the touch of the Artifex Pater,” Blade said gently. He put a hand on each of our shoulders.

“It is safe. Only pilgrims tend to approach the valley itself anymore. I can’t even remember the last time anyone came the way you did. We watch this end and they… they watch the other.” He sighed at the mention of the others.

There was movement below. Men walked in the trees. I could see them come from the far edge of the clearing. They stopped just at the tree-line and appeared to be talking.

We stood in silence watching them.

It was hard to see everything about the group. I could not make out the faces, but they were not Bullmen from their size. Their clothes were somehow different than that of our enemies as well. In the shadows under the trees I could not tell the exact styles. There seemed no danger, only talk amongst themselves.

“I wonder what they are about…” Blade strummed his beard.

There was a sudden flash of color as the group parted and a single individual proceeded alone out from the shadows in into the failing light towards the rock, a single lantern in his hand. The individual was dressed from head to toe in shimmering robes I recognized.

My head reeled and my body went onto autopilot. I began to run. I ran through the common room, out, around, and down. I had to know if it was really him.

I heard the shouting far behind me. “Talon! Wait!”

I was not thinking much about them right then, only about not running into the trees. It was darker underneath the bows than I had expected but I continued to track though quickly. There was no sound other than my own breathing by the time I reached the edge of the clearing.

I stood open to the place. The stars made the trees cast long shadows in all directions.

The rock was larger than I had thought.

I waited a few seconds and caught my breath. I did not see the figure anywhere. Probably on the other side, where the others were.

I started into the open space and towards the stone. It was quiet, I did not even hear the birds. There was a glimmer from the side of the rock as if a bird alighted. Then there was a figure, a small figure, a man in green-blue robes. He stood straight upright when he saw me. Our eyes registered and he smiled.

“Talon, I should have known.”

I crossed to him slowly as he came fully before the rock itself.

“I came to see the place of creation.” He gestured around us. “The Artifex Pater created two families of men here I understand...” He closed the few remaining steps and stood next to me. “I couldn’t have imagined a more fitting place.”

We now stood side by side looking at the stone slab before us.

“Talon?” I glanced over my shoulder and saw Leaf and Blade, a single torch between them, checking their steps in the darkness, unsure if they should approach.

“Phaetheon?” A group of men with lanterns came around the rock, some wore Phaetheon’s crest of the moon. Although no swords were drawn, for that would have been absolutely blasphemous, I could feel the danger.

“I know him,” he said in common tongue, then he said something in another language that I did not understand.

“Talon? Are you alright?”

I faced round to Leaf and Blade.

“I know him,” I repeated his words in our own language. I turned to Phaetheon.

“Are you alright?” Phaetheon asked me.

I nodded.

He turned and waved the group away. They retreated around the rock and out of sight, though I could tell they were still close. He returned his countenance to us.

“Would you like to introduce me to your friends?” he asked me in my own language.

My jaw dropped. He had learned our words. He had spoken it with an elaborate and lyrical accent, but it was understandable. He smiled warmly. It had been a long time indeed.

“Phaetheon… Leaf and Blade.”

He approached them without hesitation and shook their hands.

“It is an honor to meet you both,” he said with those musical tones. “It has been a long time Talon.”

I colored a little.

How long had it been?

Years…

He smiled while he studied my face. He looked at Leaf and Blade.

“Does Talon still talk too much?”

It seemed that Phaetheon had mastered sarcasm, even in a foreign tongue, and used my own language against me.

Leaf laughed a bit too hard. I reddened.

“I see that you are a watcher or keeper,” he said to Blade.

“He is one of the leaders,” Leaf added.

I nodded in agreement.

“Please then, please indulge a foreigner and teach me about this place. I wish to learn.”

Blade smiled brightly. “There is much to know, but I see that the moon now holds sway. Would you join us at our lodge?”

Phaetheon chuckled. “Now what kind of guest would I be to change hosts at this late hour, from one ally to another?” He smiled. “I am honored that you would extend such an invitation. I would be most honored to speak with you…”

“Of course, yes, yes...”

“Yes then, we will talk soon and I truly look forward to being enlightened.” He extended his hand again.

“It will be my pleasure.” Blade shook the hand offered. A formal, respectful gesture.

Phaetheon looked up into the sky. “My impatience, brought me here late. It seems the night is upon us.” He nodded to us. “Goodnight gentlemen.”

He made a small bow and backed up a step.

“It brings me great joy to see you again Talon.”

He turned and walked easily around the rock and out of sight.

“How do you know him?” Blade whispered before waving us to come and follow him back to the lodge.

“He met him on the other side of the world a few… years ago now, yes?” Leaf looked to me. I nodded.

“Interesting.”

I couldn’t sleep. Our meager supper and then listening to Leaf repeat my vague stories should have tired me more. I was restless. I got up into the dark and left the building.

A cool quiet breeze wove between the trees. Shafts of moonlight now lit the way under the branches toward a greater light. I went to it and came to the edge of the clearing. The rock where my people had been created stood silent and black under the white light. I waited next to the trees expecting something, I was not sure what.

There was a twinkle, a flash of color in the trees opposite. The colors of an exotic bird that only comes out after sunset. He crossed out of the shadows and into the light. My eyes must have had been playing tricks on me. This time he wore only his plain brown robes. There was no hesitation in his steps. He went straight to the rock and disappeared on the far side of it.

Without warning, there was movement on the stone face before me. A hooded man moved. I studied him and he became more distinct. He knelt, arms raised to the sky. I recognized the position: arms up into the moonlight and head down to the ground.

Phaetheon reappeared as he came around the foot of the rock. They had to know they both were there, but the man had not moved. Phaetheon hesitated before he approached. There was a short moment before he slowly stepped towards him. When they were merely feet apart, Phaetheon knelt. I could not hear any words if they had even spoken any. I doubted they had.

Phaetheon bowed his head, but kept his hands down at his sides, touching the ground. The man kept his raised to the sky.

It was beautiful in a way. Two as one, together, in silence and mediation.

I waited for something to happen, nothing did. Not wishing to intrude, I backed away into the darker shadows before turning back to the lodge.

The walk was all crickets and leaves.

Only when I returned to the sleeping chambers, did I realize, that Leaf was truly not there and it had not been a restless dream. I fell asleep picturing them on their knees before the rock.

I did not see Leaf in the morning. He was still not in his bed and not at the morning meal. He was probably somewhere quiet. It did not matter. I knew he would tell me about last night when he would, and that was good enough.

Our afternoon was interrupted by calls signaling someone approaching.

I knew who it was.

Blade stood when one of his brothers whispered to him.

“It appears that we have a guest.” He looked at me. “Your friend is true to his word.”

Many faces looked at me. I nodded.

“Come we must meet him.”

A group of us, led by Blade left and headed down the path.

We met them in the woods on our side of the rock. Phaetheon led the contingent, when he saw me he smiled.

“Good Greetings,” Blade said to them.

“Good Greetings,” Phaetheon returned brightly.

“Phaetheon wanted to come. I brought him directly,” the man next to Phaetheon said.

“Of course.” Blade smiled then looked at Phaetheon. “I am at your disposal sir. Whatever you require, it will be my pleasure to provide.”

“I am honored.” Phaetheon stepped forward, those with him were hesitant. Blade stood his ground.

“Brothers…” he addressed the brothers from the other side of the valley. “Our common, honored, guest will be in safe company and when he desires to return to you, he will be escorted to back to your esteemed company. I give my word on the honor of the Artifex Pater.”

They only nodded then parted to slide back and away. Phaetheon’s men became visible.

“Talon!”

Two stepped forward together, I recognized the faces even though both had grown. Marius looked a little wiser and more muscular. No doubt the travels with Phaetheon had given him both. Galehault had grown up, literally. He was no longer a skinny youth, but a now a full sized young man looking more like his father. Nothing like the Phaetheon double outside the Duke’s town.

Marius grabbed and hugged me. A surprise to most of us.

“I never thought I would see you again!” He laughed loudly. “So much has happened…”

I felt a hand on my shoulder, one that took me back years.

“Yes, much had happened. The day lies before us. Perhaps Talon might welcome your company while I speak with Blade…”

I nodded.

“Come, let’s all of us return to the lodge and talk. Have you eaten yet today?” Blade beaconed us to follow.

Leaf reappeared quietly in the hall with us and seemed amused by the attention I was given. Phaetheon’s men kept all around in the general vicinity. One in particular seemed to only stare and me and then look away. Marius and Galehault chattered about everything and nothing. Phaetheon had been touring kingdoms on this side for trade alliances and such. They had seen so much and longed for more. I could not focus on anything and made my excuses as soon as I could to leave the lodge. The woods were quieter.

I wandered into the woods. Birds fluttered overhead and called to one another. I found a mature tree and sat down against the trunk. My head was full and I needed time to sort things. I rested quietly half expecting Bear to climb down to me.

I woke to a deer passing by. It was young and seemed to have no idea I was there. Had I been more prepared, I could have taken it down. I loudly grunted and it darted off into the forest.

I found the path and started back to the noise of the lodge. Coming the other way was Leaf. When he saw me, he grinned. I smiled back. He hugged me in greeting.

“I should have known you would disappear,” he chuckled. “They were looking for you. Phaetheon’s attendants.”

We walked next each other.

“It is all very exciting isn’t it? Meeting them all again. And what their homeland must be like… so far away…”

I touched his arm gently. I knew what he was thinking, before even he did himself. He pulsed with life and I recognized that vibration. Arrangements would have to be made at some point.

I sighed.

“Come on, you can’t hide forever.”

 

Phaetheon proved to be a gracious guest. He alternated between the lodges and charmed his way along as to make no one feel the least bit slighted.

The greetings and exchanges between the brothers on opposite side of the valley became less strained. The regular “exchanges” of Phaetheon bred a commonality that slowly expanded past mere cordiality. Indeed the days, and Phaetheon, seemed to be doing magic for all the brothers in the valley.

Blade confessed that Phaetheon was insatiable in his quest for knowledge. “But I do not know where that drive comes from or what it will be used for.”

Not knowing what to do with ourselves, Leaf and I agreed to stay on for the present. It was an easy decision for us, being around Phaetheon, Blade, Marius, Galehault, and of course the others, made me forget to long for much else. Long walks in the woods surrounding the rock soothed me.

One night, early on, Blade and Leaf were talking about how we had found way to the place of creation.

“We almost missed it,” Leaf confessed. “Had we not seen that one totem at the side of the clearing, we would have wandered past ant into the forest for days or weeks.”

Blade and a few of his men nodded sagely.

“Had there been more,” Leaf continued, “…to guide the way, I would expect others would come to be with the Pater.”

The plan was hatched that night and put into action the following days. A line of posts would be erected at regular intervals out into the approaching valley to guide people in. I drafted myself to help. It was a good distraction from nothing and required little actual talk, only hard work. That much I could provide.

We felled trees, shaped and carved them into large totems, and dragged them far down to where they would stand. Holes were dug and the long line of physical directions began to take shape. They were only just visible to each other, and each pointed the way to the next and the next and then to the path Leaf and I had been discovered on by the brothers.

It was not a road or true trail and the posts were not very close to each other, but future travelers would have an easier time finding their way.

Before long the brothers from the other lodge learned of our plan and began a similar project.

The lodges were united in common goals: bringing more to the Artifex.

Phaetheon and indeed everyone seemed happy. I wondered for how long.

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..