Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,757 Words
  • 2,086 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 5. Plus One

The hold on Bald Cliff was a large fortress designed for war. Like Arrowpoint, relatively safe for Thorn and I. Like Parrot Bay, relatively expensive. We spent the last few days before the solstice, our set meeting time, around the Hold trying not to get into trouble or drafted into various campaigns that we either did not understand or care about.

“What if he is not there?” asked Thorn on one of those days.

“We can wait. We were late. He will show.”

Before sunrise, we left the safety of Bald Cliff and headed into the wilderness. It was colder than I remembered, but not too bad. As the sun rose, it felt better. By leaving as early as we did, we avoided too many questions as well as some of the native wildlife. Once out on to the tundra we were able to see the larger beasts plainly and keep out of their way. We crossed around past hills and a wide river. We could see what looked like an expanded invasion camp on the distant seashore. Thank goodness I had not told Kjartanei to meet us there.

A full day and one half more brought us to the place. It looked like the shrine I remembered had been partly ripped down or smashed, but it was still there. We settled down to wait and sat close. The wind on the promontory seemed to cancel out the affect of the sun. Every once and a while, we could see patrols from Shield Keep come this way on the road. Just close enough to see, but not be concerned about. The beasts grazing in between were probably more to be feared.

It was some time later that we noticed a pair of patrol men were coming closer than the others and even appeared to be heading our way. I signaled Thorn and we slowly pulled out our weapons. We were not sure if they had actually seen us yet, but we wanted to be ready. As the pair got closer, I realized that they were not patrols: they did not have the uniforms or equipment. Squinting, I tried to make out who they were. The herd’s bull saw the two just before I realized that one was pulling out a crossbow.

“Kjartanei!” I had barely gotten it out before the beast charged. Kjartanei fired an arrow. The beast smashed into the pair, throwing the other one off to the side and slamming into Kjartanei. It appeared as though Kjartanei was hanging on to the horn. I stopped running long enough to bellow out my loudest war call. It seemed to do the trick because it turned fast, throwing Kjartanei off, and charged us. With Thorn by my side, I was ready. At the last second, we quickly jumped off to the sides and lanced into the beast’s flanks. It was messy but we got the job done. The bull wailed out its last and collapsed dead.

What with the running and the beast’s slaughter, Thorn and I were panting for air when Kjartanei and the other man approached. Thorn was about to speak but was cut short because the man pointed past and yelled warning. We turned to see a group of invaders approaching rapidly.

“Get between us!” I shouted taking defensive position with Thorn just to my side of and in front of the man and Kjartanei.

“Ready?” I called and glanced to double check positions. The man had a small, rather pathetic, short sword in his hand, but Kjartanei was not there. I did not have time to think further before the first ones were upon us and it had begun.
Instinctively, Thorn and I closed in to each other forcing the man a little farther behind as we fended off the blows and struck back ferociously.

Suddenly, I heard a loud whoosh next to my head and an arrow appeared in the neck of the invader before me. Another whoosh and the one behind him was hit in the arm causing him to drop his dagger making it easy. In the next seconds I heard another and another arrow hitting men in front of Thorn and myself causing a pause in the charge.

I chanced a glance over my shoulder and saw Kjartanei standing tall and majestic on top of the dead bull, bow in hand letting off another arrow. I turned back and the pause from the invaders had become a fast pull back to get out of the arrow’s range. Thorn and I began to pull back too. I caught the man by his arm and backed towards Kjartanei. The last few invaders retreated over the ridge disappearing from sight.

“A scouting party, they must have heard the war call. We’ve got to get out of here before they come back in full force,” Thorn panted.

“Right let’s hurry,” added Kjartanei.

We hurried over to the two bodies and grabbed what we could. The man looked shocked, Kjartanei kept watch with his bow ready. When we were done, we crossed back to Kjartanei and the man. The four of us hurried briskly off the path away from the area. We took turns watching over our shoulders. At a fast pace, we made a lot of space behind us. Remaining as silent as we could, the only sounds we made were for breathing and moving.

Finally, when we felt far enough away for the moment, we paused behind an outcropping to catch our breath. Thorn was immediately in his bag pulling out a few wrappings and salves. Quickly, he came to me. I waved him off for the others. He wrapped up Kjartanei’s arm. Other than the cuts and bruises he received from riding on the horn, he was fine. Thorn went over to the man, and chortled a little when the man withdrew a little and stiffened up as he was checked for injury: bruises and scrapes only. More cuts for Thorn and I were nothing new. As soon as Thorn was finished, we were on our way again looking for a safer place to spend the night.

~ ~ ~

There would be no fire this evening, we were still too close to the Keep and there was always the off chance a patrol would see a fire in the distance and come looking. In any case, there was no wood to be found. Thorn and Kjarantei began setting out the small tent next to another rock formation. It held enough room for Thorn and I comfortably, but it would do in shifts.

“You’ll get used to the cold,” I said to the shivering man.

He was startled to have been addressed. He stared at me with his mouth half open. I sharpened my gaze. His mouth snapped shut.

“Talon.” I nodded

“Joachim.”

“Joachim.” He flinched a little at his name being repeated.

“He was in a bit of a situation…” Kjartanei interjected, approaching with Thorn behind him. The man looked down. “I brought him along. I thought he might do well with your company...”

“Welcome!” Thorn laughed, slapping the Joachim on his back. “And you!“ He turned to Kjartanei. “Such a marksman! Even better than when we last met.”

Kjartanei smiled broadly. “I had more time to practice before boarding the ship.”

“Well done,” I added.

Joachim and I were quiet during our meal. Thorn chattered as usual. I could not shake the stares from Joachim. It was making me feel uncomfortable. Finally, I looked directly at him and stared back. He looked away.

“We should start the watch. Talon?” said Thorn.

“I‘ll start.” I watched them go over to the tent. I was envious. With the combined body heat and the fabric to cut the wind they would be a hell of a lot warmer than I. Joachim did not go in. He sat off to the side. After a few moments, I motioned him over to me. He approached slowly keeping a small distance.

“You need sleep.”

“Too cold,” he said simply.

“Tent is warmer.”

“I don’t think I could fit.”

“You can fit,” I replied. He just sat and shivered a little.

“Here.” I motioned him next to me.

He seemed to think on it. I motioned again. Finally, he reluctantly came over to sit. I moved closer to him and arranged my cloak around us. He shuddered back at first, but remained seated.

“Sorry, I don’t smell good,” I apologized.

“No, sorry, its just…” he stammered. “You see, I have never seen a person like you before. I had heard stories you know…” He cut himself off.

“Go on. Heard stories. Animals right? Our skin colors.”

He appeared embarrassed. “Well kind of. In person… it’s quite different than what I expected.” He grinned sheepishly. “Kjartanei warned me, but it’s not the same.” He reddened. “You guys seem nice just like Kjartanei said.” He looked around us. “And it’s not just that… I have not been away from Swordblade before.”

I was surprised.

“Really. I am not a warrior, there was no reason to leave.”

“Exciting trip then.”

“Yes.”

“Warmer?”

“Yes.”

“Long way tomorrow. Go to sleep. Warm enough now.”

“Thanks,” he said getting up.

He smiled and crawled into the tent. It felt colder now that he was gone, but it was only a few more hours until Thorn could take over.

The night was quiet and uneventful giving me time to plan for the next part of the trip. I would have to alter a few things to accommodate Joachim. With someone so inexperienced as he, the consequences could be death. Tomorrow I would have to ask more about what he did know. The exceptional talent Kjartanei showed with a bow would continue to be an asset.

At midnight, I went over to the tent and opened the flap to look in. Thorn was sandwiched in the middle. The temperature was good, but I could tell the open flap was letting a lot of cold air in. I roused Thorn gently by shaking his foot and backed up closing the flap. After a few moments, Thorn crawled out and walked over to me.

“How is it going?” he asked sincerely. I told him that it was quiet and gave him some of the highlights of my conversation with Joachim.

“Yes, that sounds like about what Kjartanei said. Don’t worry we will get more out of the two of them, tomorrow. Get some sleep. They need one of us in there, neither gives off enough heat.” Thorn smiled.

I took off my hard armor and handed it over to Thorn before wishing him good night. I crawled in between Kjartanei and Joachim. Kjartanei seemed fine, but Joachim was shivering. I got as close to him as I could and draped one of my arms with my cloak over him.

I hoped he wouldn’t mind my occasional snoring.

~ ~ ~

I woke up the next morning with Thorn wrapped around my back, his arm over my waist. It was a good feeling. I lingered a few moments before crawling out. Kjartanei and Joachim were sitting together talking. They looked up as I emerged. I nodded good morning to them as I pulled out some rations.

After Thorn was up, we were able to finish eating, pack up, and get underway. We were able to start cutting across the tundra in the daylight. It was much easier going now. We were able to see the herds and gave them space. We only saw one caravan way off in the distance.

In the full sunlight, I was better able to take stock in our traveling group. In the lead were Thorn and Kjartanei. They were almost the same height. Kjartanei’s blue stained face gleamed in the sun. Thorn’s bulk made Kjartanei look slender even though he wasn’t. They were setting a relatively slow pace designed to let Joachim keep up. He trailed the other two. He would be an impressive specimen in his city. Joachim was full of hard muscle, a fact that did not help his short appearance in our group. He also was the brightest of our group in terms of color. Light yet tanned skin and a shock of blonde-red hair with blonde goatee gave him a sunny appearance. I followed last, guarding the rear. I walked alone and at a slight distance, perfect for me so I did not have to talk so much.

When we stopped for a meal, Thorn pulled me aside.

“Some interesting background on our new friend,” he said in our own language. Even though Kjartanei and Joachim were off a short distance, Thorn did not want them to hear, even referring to them in his own code.

“From what I gather,” he started, “our blue met our short as he told you. Short was in the middle of some type of altercation that was not elaborated on. I understand that he was lying in the gutter out cold when Blue found him and helped him to a doctor. From there he took him in hand and brought him here. It is my understanding that there is a lot more. Something big enough to get Short to feel the need to leave the city one way or another.”

I nodded in thought.

“See what happens when you walk in back by yourself,” he laughed.

“No more pets!” I bellowed then laughed.

Kjartanei and Joachim came running, only to find us rolling with laughter.

“Sorry,” Thorn said switching back to common tongue. “Just kidding around.”

“The way you sounded…” Joachim said. “We didn’t know...”

“I guess we will have to teach you some of the subtleties of our language,” Thorn continued laughing.

Joachim looked at both of us with puzzlement, as if trying to solve a riddle. A look of knowing the answer and being unable to articulate it.

We hiked in farther into the tundra and made camp within an arrow’s flight of a lake. A lonely place in the middle of nowhere. As good as a place as any for hunting and some light fishing. A few days in isolation without moving around would be a great relief. Bring back a few skins, sell them, and move on.

The days continued to be on the cool side, the nights still cold. We were able to find enough brush for a fire and stay far enough away from settlements to attract any attention.

Kjartanei continued to show his prowess at hunting bringing in animals on a regular basis. I would skin and gut. Thorn clean and cook. Sometimes we would fish. Sometimes we would hunt together. Thorn was teaching Kjartanei to cook while I was helping Joachim learn how to handle a sword. Maybe it was his size, but the sword was just not working for him, not for lack of trying however.

Our sleeping arrangements remained simple, one awake two or more asleep. We all got used to sleeping in the tent with one or two others. I did my best to keep Joachim warm, he was far more affected by the cold than the rest of us. After a few days, he would regularly roll to me to keep up his body heat.

We planned to go to a settlement in a few days to sell off our furs and sleep indoors. Thorn expressed to me how he was anxious to have me alone at night. It was written in his expression and bearing. I missed him too but knew it was best left to when we got to the village and a separate place for ourselves.

Kjartanei was anxious to get moving again too. Joachim was just excited for the adventure. We all promised to get him more suitable clothes than what we had patched together for him and try to find some training in some art of war or hunt. He continued to try his best, but Kjartanei agreed with me, the sword just did not seem to suit him at all.

The night before we would leave, I sat alone by the fire. We had stayed here far longer than I expected. We had enough pelts by far to sell and more would only make the journey slower. I was anxious to get underway too. It would be warmer and safer elsewhere. There would be more cover and better hunting. I heard Thorn coming down from the tent. He sat close to me and leaned his head on my shoulder.

“Anything?” he asked quietly in our language.

I shook my head.

He leaned back and stared into the fire. We sat in silence for a while. In truth, I was tired but did not want to leave him yet. Since we spoke of it last, I missed him more each day as he missed me. The fire danced along his body. He was still beautiful. Time was getting along for both of us. There had to be a time when we should settle and put some roots down, where and when were always the questions.

Thorn looked up, catching me staring at him. He grinned slyly and shifted into a more comfortable position, very, very deliberately. I grinned at him and shook my head. He knew exactly what I was thinking and he knew exactly how to achieve making me think it.

“Goodnight,” I said standing slowly.

“Goodnight,” he said slyly, his eyes teasing me.

I crawled into my normal sleeping position between Joachim and Kjartanei. I relaxed almost immediately. I was just nodding off when I felt Joachim roll to me and nestle in. I wrapped my body around his and nodded off.

~ ~ ~

Early in the morning, I awoke on my side feeling a familiar form behind me. Thorn was wrapped along my back, intimately caressing my arm and cooing softly into my ear. I realized that we had progressed farther with our actions than I originally thought when I felt the cool air on my bare buttock. I was about to quietly protest when he eased himself forward. The sensation was so pleasurable that I moaned quietly and clutched. I had missed Thorn so much that I ceased to care at the moment and let him continue. He held me close, his hand on mine. I felt his warmth along and in me. His breath on my ear. His motions to and from me were indescribable.
Without warning, Joachim mumbled directly into my chest. I froze in place, Thorn didn’t.

“What is going on?” Joachim said as he pulled back leaning up on his arm. Thorn stopped. I could not speak, Thorn for once, could not either.

“Oh… my… oh…” Joachim started pulling back and slid to the tent flap. “Umm…” He reddened in the shadow. “Umm… I’m going outside…” he said, disappearing out the opening.

After a few moments, we heard him trudge away from the tent.

“What are we going to do now?” Thorn asked.

~ ~ ~

I did not come out of the tent until dawn. Partly out of fear, partly from weariness. I could not blame Thorn, I wanted it as much as he. I could not imagine what Joachim thought or what Kjartanei would say. Different races have different feelings on the subject as do individuals.

When I thought I could avoid it no longer, I climbed outside and left Thorn staring in silence.
Kjartanei was cooking at the fire alone.

“Good morning,” he said cheerfully. I looked at him intently, trying to figure out if he we mocking me. It did not seem like it.

I nodded and immediately turned to start going through my pack. I did not want a discussion or, quite frankly, any type of acknowledgment.

“Going for water,” I said starting to walk down the path.

“If you see Joachim, tell him food is ready,” he called after.

I did not see him.
I was sitting next to the water when Thorn approached. He quietly sat on the rock next to me.

“Anything?” he asked.

“Kjartanei was cooking. No Joachim either.”

“Joachim was at the fire when I came out. He was quiet and did not make eye contact at all.”

“You think he said anything?” I asked wearily.

“To Kjartanei? No, I don’t think so,” Thorn said thoughtfully. “If he was going to, he would have already. Surely one of them would have said something by now or even...” He made a chopping motion at his neck.

“Lets get packed. The sooner to town, the sooner we can head out. Alone.”

Thorn looked at me with some sadness and then resolution. “You are probably right.”

“No other way.”

We ate quickly while Kjartanei and Joachim packed up. The trek across the tundra was, once again, relatively uneventful. We started off with Thorn and I in the lead but after the first hours, I could not help but feel like we were being watched, or at worst judged. After a quick break, we continued with Thorn and Kjartanei in the lead, Joachim in the middle and I in the rear. Although, Thorn was not as talkative as normal, Kjartanei appeared to be making up for it. I only let us stop once to eat, the less eye contact the better. Plus, as I told them, we had to keep going if we were to make it tonight at all.

Once the sun began to go down, we slowed but kept trudging forward. The cold intensified but we could handle it. Thorn and I were fine; Kjartanei never seemed all that cold, or warm, for that matter; Joachim was under many of the pelts.

It was the middle of the night when we came to the gates. After a few words with the sentries, both telling them who we were and dropping a few names of villagers that we vaguely remembered, we were let in.

The “Guest House” was expanded since the last time that we were here. The large central room with the fire was warm and cheerful. The side rooms were curtained off with heavy furs as good as any door at keeping out the cold. Kjartanei lead Joachim to one room that was being pointed at by our “Host” and Thorn and I took another on the opposite side of the fire pit.

Once alone, Thorn and I lay together in each others’ arms. The long march had taken its toll on us and we fell asleep before even taking advantage of our alone time.

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 01/19/2015 02:54 AM, AzPolarBear55 said:
I am enjoying this story, and really enjoy the subtle world of Warcraft hints. Thank you and keep it coming!
Thank you being the first person to comment! This one is just for fun and I am happy you enjoy the 'winks' to WoW. A promise made to myself was the first person I heard from would get a character named for him. What do you think about “Maritimus”? (as in Arizonas Ursus Maritimus) I am ahead of where we are now so there is time to think about it. I will always happy to hear from you. Thanks again!

Hugs, GW Randomness

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..