Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 1,233 Words
  • 1,480 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 6. Cold Comfort

The next day, I was woken up by Thorn. He was fully awake and dressed.

“What’s going on?”

“Kjartanei and Joachim are ill,” Thorn began. “Joachim found me this morning and brought me back to Kjartanei. He is in bad shape. While I was over there, I realized that Joachim was sick too. There is a physician in the area and will be back by morning. I’m going to sit with them and wait.”

“What’s wrong?”

Thorn shrugged. “Joachim seems like a regular fever, nothing serious. I have some stuff in here for that.” He grabbed his satchel, but looked concerned. “Kjartanei, I am not as sure about.”

“Your the expert.”

He shrugged. “Not in everything.”

We sat quiet for a moment, then Thorn reached over and stroked my hair. “Sorry, I gotta get back to them, I promised.” Thorn stood up and pushed his way out through the fur flaps.

I got dressed and came out into the common area. Our “Host” nodded his greeting. I poked my head in and in the candle light, I saw Joachim laying down looking sweaty and sick, Kjartanei laying still, and Thorn sitting between them. Joachim forced a weak smile at me.

“Need anything?”

Thorn shook his head. “No, you best be off though. The market is opening up shortly. I will find you when I know more.”

I nodded, went out and gathered up all our goods and headed down the street to catch the early buyers.

~ ~ ~

Thorn found me on the dock looking out into the water.
“It must be something more specific for Kjartanei. I made up a little something to try on him while we wait. Joachim is lucky that he didn’t catch it. I moved him into our room to be on the safe side. I’m waiting for his fever to break.”

“Can we catch it?”

“Doubt it, just a precaution. I will double check when the doctor comes, but I don‘t think so. In the mean time, I am going to sit with Kjartanei. Can you keep an eye on Joachim?”

I grunted.

“Yes, I know.” Thorn nodded sagely. “He did ask about you earlier.”

I looked him directly in the eye.

“He did.” Thorn shrugged again. “I don’t know. Go and check on him. I gotta get back now before the doctor arrives.”

I nodded.

After I finished selling off our goods, I headed back. It was later in the day so I bought some food to bring back. The common area had a few travelers that were sitting around talking in a strange variation of common tongue. A quiet crowd over all who did not seem to care about me. I poked my head into Kjartanei’s room first. I must have startled Thorn.

“Ok for now. He was awake briefly. I am watching to see if the color comes back to his skin, well, supposed to have been watching, I must have dozed off.” Thorn grinned.

I held out the food.

“Kjartanei won’t be up for anything yet, maybe in the morning. Joachim had broth. Did you go in to see him?”

“Going now.”

“Good. I plan on sleeping in here. You watch Joachim. Let me know when his fever breaks, right?”

I nodded and backed out, leaving some food behind, then crossed back across the common area. I pushed into Joachim’s room. I could hear him breathing in the rhythm of sleep so I was quiet to not wake him. I sat in the dark and ate as quietly as I could listening to the muffled sounds of conversations on the other side of the door coverings.
I was meditating quietly when I felt a hand.

“Talon?” Joachim whispered.

“Yes.”

“I feel so hot.”

“Fever will pass. Rest.” I put my hand on his shoulder.

“Thanks for sitting with me. You don’t have to.”

“Sleep. I will soon.”

He wished me goodnight and shortly after I heard his soft snores begin again. After a while, just listening made me tired and I lay down to sleep.

Sometime in the middle of the night I woke up from a dream to find that, quite naturally, Joachim was rolled into my chest with my arm over him. Even though it was warm, I did not bother to roll away.

~ ~ ~

Joachim was awake before me. He said that he felt better and that his fever seemed to had broken. It could hear the tiredness in his voice as well as his regaining strength. I urged him to keep resting while I looked in on Thorn and Kjartanei.

I pushed back the flap and was taken aback but the large man in the nook with Thorn and Kjartenei. He was not as tall as Thorn or Kjartanei but was thicker.

“Talon, this is Machaeon. The doctor.”

“Nice to meet you Talon, please call me Mach.” I nodded and we shook hands.

“An infection. He needs to be kept warm. We need to keep forcing fluids. I will mix up something for him to drink. It will take time to work.” He shook his head.

“Is it that bad?” Thorn asked.

“It could have gotten a lot worse. Hopefully, we caught it in time. You did a good job my friend with this.” He held one of Thorn’s bottles.

“Can we catch it? Are we in any danger?”

“No. You both seem healthy, so I don’t think so. It was wise to move your Joachim, just in case. He was already weak.” He nodded to me again.

“How is Joachim?” Thorn asked.

“Tired. Fever gone. Resting.”

“Good. Let him sleep and I will check on him later. As for now, I will get some more of this. Be back soon.” He nodded and walked out.

“Good news then.” I put an arm around Thorn’s shoulder.

“Sorry, I should have known better…”

“You did good.”

He sighed. “Thanks. It looks like we will be staying here for a while.”

I nodded.

~ ~ ~

The days went by slowly for me.

Machaeon checked on both of them morning and night giving them everything he knew would be good for them. Thorn, eager to learn more of medicinal herbs, asked him endless questions. Machaeon seemed patient. They even began to exchange stories about wounds, illness, and treatments. By the second night, even I, in the candlelight, could see Kjartanei’s skin color had improved.

I returned to Joachim and found Machaeon sitting with him.

“I just told this one, that he is well enough to go out. Keep an eye on him however, if something does not seem right, bring him back here and let me know.” He wagged his finger at Joachim. “Don’t over do it.” He winked at me and left.

“Better?” I questioned.

“Yes, just bored.”

“Eat,” I said handing him some food.

We ate in silence.

“We should talk.”

I shot him a glance. I could only imagine what was going though his mind.

“I wanted to say thank you. For letting me sleep in here and for keeping an eye on me.”

I nodded.

I wasn’t sure what I would do with Joachim. Thorn would stay with Kjartanei until all this had passed of course. Maybe more hunting or fishing. Heaven knows Joachim could use more practice with a sword as well. I drifted off to sleep before I knew it.

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..